Android powered Lumia from Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
It's still really difficult to imagine this move, especially when official apps have been flooding in lately and WP 8.1, the "first real contender" as critics would say, is right around the corner.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I remember studying sometime back that he was not happy with the Nokia-MSFT deal.

He might have been talking about the money spent but I don't know since I never heard this in context. Having said that we don't yet know if Microsoft is shifting its focus and steering away from actually completing to a strategy of "if you want WP, we have WP but if you want android, we have that too". Because the bottom line for MS is the services they sell and Natella comes from the world of cloud services. That is what he knows and seems to know next to nothing about WP. Hasn't even shown interest. Not outwardly anyway. Without that push from the top we are sure to see personnel being shifted away from WP.
I don't know but maybe its not too late to have Nadella replaced.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
For Microsoft itself, who will trust them in the future. They're going to be seen as almost as bad as BlackBerry now, and this might hurt Nokia's attempts at phones in future. It's an aall-round mess

Indeed, I don't know if the user base can take being shafted twice (WP7) or thrice if you count Zune.

Secondly, I don't think it will hurt Nokia at all, it will just reflect extremely badly on MS as they always get flak. Plus for the ill informed, Nokia is still making phones (I have yet to see a major news article about the D & S acquisition by Microsoft) until the Nokia branding slowly disappears on Smartphones with the transition.

Therefore it would shows as:
1) Nokia has lost faith in Windows Phone
2) Microsoft has lost a major partner thus Windows Phone is soon destined to be no more than floating debris.
3) Microsoft no longer sees Windows Phone gaining any more traction therefore has chosen to bury it with the likes of Zune and has now chosen to develop on Android instead.

So if the speculative Android Lumia is real, being developed and is released, MS will have nothing to defend itself from the incoming s**** storm that will follow. I have heard the X range being labeled as "THE Nokia smartphone running on Google's Android" in the media and news, now imagine what the media would make of an Android Lumia running on AOSP...

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone market share is laughable in many regions, and where it isn't Bing services are so bad that people will certainly think twice about buying another Windows Phone already. Also, Microsoft services are already amazing on Android and iOS.

I see no reason, no reason at all why an Microsoft Android device should bring more people to Windows Phone. All the services they get on the X series are also on iOS and Android, they don't need to move to Windows Phone.

At the same time Windows Phone is still lacking in so many areas and instead of focusing to bring this in order, Microsoft invests more resources on developing more Android devices?

And why should I buy a Windows Phone device that runs Android apps, if I can have an Android phone with much more features running the same apps better?

I rather focus on a company releasing one good product, instead of a company fragmenting itself to many mediocre products.

And now explain to me again, why are we overreacting if all of this turns out to be true?

You're overreacting because there will be teams for each platform. If Microsoft decides to go with an android phone, they will have a team for their android phone.

The same way they have a IOS team , an Android team and a WP team for Skype.

They are not going to take away from WP to add to the android. It will be a totally different department. Microsoft is EXPANDING.

They want a slice of the pie which is Android.

Again. Them making an android phone will not affect WP market share. Hell, even if the hundred of you cry babies "abandon" WP, the market share difference will not be noticeable.

Its like if I buy a Asus transformer tab running Windows 8, and then I realize "Oh. Wait. Asus makes Android tablets too"

You guys NEED to get over yourselves. Microsoft is a business. This is not a charity.

I wonder how all the Samsung android users felt when Samsung released their Windows Phone. "Oh no guys. Samsung made a Windows Phone. I'm out!"

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
You're overreacting because their will be teams for each platform. If Microsoft decides to go with an android phone, they will have a team for their android phone.

The same way they have a IOS team , an Android team and a WP team for Skype.

They are not going to take away from WP to add to the android. It will be a totally different department. Microsoft is EXPANDING.

They want a slice of the pie which is Android.

Again. Them making an android phone will not affect WP market share. Hell, even if the hundred of you cry babies "abandon" WP, the market share difference will not be noticeable.

Its like if I buy a Asus transformer tab running Windows 8, and then I realize "Oh. Wait. Asus makes Android tablets too"

You guys NEED to get over yourselves. Microsoft is a business. This is not a charity.

I wonder how all the Samsung android users felt when Samsung released their Windows Phone. "Oh no guys. Samsung made a Windows Phone. I'm out!"

First of all I'm delighted how much inside information you have about Microsoft.

Windows Phone's development is already terribly slow. It took them 4 years for the first real feature update. Just look at the Xbox Music apps, they need months to bring features that you see in independent apps from one developer in the first release. Opening an Android division (remember, not only apps for Android but an entire phone development team!) won't make those things any faster. Again, they should have made an effort with Windows Phone a long time ago, they didn't.

And it's not about Microsoft abandoning Windows Phone, it's much more about users abandoning Windows Phone because they feel not taken seriously, because they feel Microsoft isn't taking Windows Phone seriously.

And the Asus and Samsung comparison is terrible. They are independent companies. It's much more like Appe releasing an Windows Phone device.

keerthi vasan

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
MS just bought Nokia, at an expense of billions of dollars. They now have a hardware company.

They must show a return on this investment or watch MS stock tank a few quarters down the line after they report huge losses, which would get the board/CxO fired. Therefore, they need to do something wherein this new hardware division actually shows revenue, if not profit. Therefore, they will think "We need to manufacture hardware that people will buy. People like Apple, but we can't make iOS devices. Hmm. If only there were an open platform which has lots of apps and is successful... hey, what about Android!"
They could have at least dropped the idea of buying Nokia. With Stephen elop exiting Nokia in 2013, they would have gone on to make android phones from the start of the year.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't know why people on this forum are so up in arms about this. It's clearly a decision that will benefit MS - remember, WP is nothing more than a sideshow at this time - it doesn't make any money, doesn't sell particularly well, doesn't get favourable reviews and this has been going on for the past 4 years. OF COURSE they're going to go where the sales and money are; as representatives of the shareholder, it is the management's responsibility to do so. And they will, regardless of ****** tears.

MS just bought Nokia, at an expense of billions of dollars. They now have a hardware company.

They must show a return on this investment or watch MS stock tank a few quarters down the line after they report huge losses, which would get the board/CxO fired. Therefore, they need to do something wherein this new hardware division actually shows revenue, if not profit. Therefore, they will think "We need to manufacture hardware that people will buy. People like Apple, but we can't make iOS devices. Hmm. If only there were an open platform which has lots of apps and is successful... hey, what about Android!"

It seems simple and logical to me and it's what I would do with WP (after firing Belfiore in public) if I were a MSFT decision maker. Businesses care little for loyalty and whatnot.

The final equation boils down to something like this: WP has currently 3-4% of global marketshare. If Android Nokia devices could capture even 7-10% of the market (which I think they will) that is a net win for MS. Not so much for fanboys, but omelettes, eggs, etc.
Whose fault is it that Windows Phone doesn't get favourable reviews? They build the fricking thing. Also WP 8/1 got a lot of good reviews as well as the Lumia 925 and 1020

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
He might have been talking about the money spent but I don't know since I never heard this in context. Having said that we don't yet know if Microsoft is shifting its focus and steering away from actually completing to a strategy of "if you want WP, we have WP but if you want android, we have that too". Because the bottom line for MS is the services they sell and Natella comes from the world of cloud services. That is what he knows and seems to know next to nothing about WP. Hasn't even shown interest. Not outwardly anyway. Without that push from the top we are sure to see personnel being shifted away from WP.
I don't know but maybe its not too late to have Nadella replaced.

Good point!!!
I don't like Nadella. Whenever he is asked a question, he evades it, and keeps bleating on about 'mobile first, cloud first', like it's his catchphrase.
I say replace him with someone who has more passion.
That's why Ballmer was value for money. You may not have liked him as a person, but he overflowed with enthusiasm, and without him we wouldn't have Windows Phone.
If MS dumps WP in favour of Android, they will forever be a laughing stock in the industry. MS have always led with innovation. If they rollover for Google, that innovation may just be finished!!!!

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
They could have at least dropped the idea of buying Nokia. With Stephen elop exiting Nokia in 2013, they would have gone on to make android phones from the start of the year.
Man Nokia should've kept work on the N9. It would've been glorious by now with here maps and maybe contracts with google as well.

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
LOL, Why would they or HTC android users feel threaten by a Samsung/HTC WP, When they do not take WP seriously and already know that those phones were dead on arrival?

Rickosw

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I would highly suggest those who are unhappy (myself included) with this rumor to tweet the people who need to hear it.

@windowsphone
@joebelfiore
@microsoft
@CWeberatMSFT
@satyanadella

Missing one more key person - but not sure if he has any accounts - BILL GATES

Rickosw

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Good point!!!
I don't like Nadella. Whenever he is asked a question, he evades it, and keeps bleating on about 'mobile first, cloud first', like it's his catchphrase.
I say replace him with someone who has more passion.
That's why Ballmer was value for money. You may not have liked him as a person, but he overflowed with enthusiasm, and without him we wouldn't have Windows Phone.
If MS dumps WP in favour of Android, they will forever be a laughing stock in the industry. MS have always led with innovation. If they rollover for Google, that innovation may just be finished!!!!

Yes, for what Ballmer (Developer Developer Developer) is worth, yes he made some mistakes ( ok, many mistake ) but there is no denying his love for MSFT . ...and WP

Rickosw

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Other than the small little Trade Show for MSFT / WP that is coming -

When is the next BIG EVENT for MSFT / NOKIA ( Location / Date )

If you are able to attend , why not throw these questions / rumors directly to the Joe / Nadella during the Q&A ?

Last edited by a moderator:

msxbox

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it will happen the way some may be thinking, and even if it did happen there will be even more compelling reasons to own a Windows Phone as more features that will make WP irresistible over Android/IOS will be created,

I think we will get to know soon. I will say that I very much doubt that Microsoft/Nokia etc will just shove all their hard work down the drain it would not make sense and think about the maybe 100 million or so Windows Phone users they would alienate and the new existing and new OEM's that would also not be happy not going to happen exactly as some might think.

Last edited:

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Yes, for what Ballmer (Developer Developer Developer) is worth, yes he made some mistakes ( ok, many mistake ) but there is no denying his love for MSFT . ...and WP

Yes, Ballmer's Developer 'speech' will go down in history!!! An overweight, sweaty man screeching 'Developers, developers...' over and over. You may laugh, but his passion was clearly visible. I was disappointed when he 'stepped down' in favour of Nadella. The boring. grey man of I.T... Yawn!!!

Yeah, they may have screwed up with Vista, but then we got Windows 7... What a comeback. Everyone still loves that OS.

But, he was right, and still is. You can have all the hardware in the world. If there are no developers, you have zilch!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb