Android powered Lumia from Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What if this all this is, is them having to rebrand the Nokia "X" line because they can't use the Nokia name after a certain date. So no that line will be named Lumia X. They should have high end surface line, mid to high Lumia line & Lumia X forked android line. I think in the future they have a plan "B" where Win Rt & the Lumia X can use the same apps and look the same.

plast 0000

May 18, 2014
Visit site
WTF MS?
that was the worst and I mean the worst Idea EVER, WORSE THAN CORTANA ON OTHER PLATFORMS
that way WP will be dead, that mustn't happen
who ever comes out with these dump ideas must be FIRED
What are you doing Staya? what is this?

plast 0000

May 18, 2014
Visit site
If that ever happened, I will give up MS and windows and my 15 years old experience and I will switch to Apple, till now I'm trying to keep calm and not to explode, I want Bill Gates to return as CEO for some time (I know that he's in Bill&Melinda gates foundation so I said "some time") to fix things up

Woknox

Developer
Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
As a Windows Phone developer I have been very loyal by spending a lot of lonely nights developing apps, I'm now working on a new one for some time. I could have spend all these hours on developing for Android, make so much more money than I do now, but I didn't because my heart is at Microsoft and I trust they will make it to the top with WP.

If the rumour is true, it would feel that Microsoft has triple-sc**wed me,.. I wouldn't hasitate for one nanosecond to switch-over to an Android Device,.. what? throw my laptop, desktop out the window and buy chromebooks and stuff. Yes, I would be extremely dissapointed..

But I guess it ain't over till the fat lady sings... so lets just be patient. I really think Microsoft is smart enough not to do this.

zinkpad

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
As developer, I will no update my apps with new features (at least for now)... is time to think if it will be worth developing for WP.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Evleaks was just proven wrong by Mary Jo Foley, so let's all calm down and assume that this rumor is also total BS.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Woknox

Developer
Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
As developer, I will no update my apps with new features (at least for now)... is time to think if it will be worth developing for WP.

I understand your thoughts, but personally I'll wait for more official publications. Hopefully Microsoft will soon publish a message that the rumour is all just b*llsh*t, so we can soon forget about this horrorscenario.

For now I'll just proceed developing,.. there is still faith.

androidtoWM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
i hope this is just a rumor. Android apps are laggy on medium spec'd devices and i can only imagine the sluggishness on mid-range Lumia devices. People gonna stop buying them and go with native android devices.

If this is indeed a rumor, I think Joe should dismiss it as rumors otherwise any dev who was planning to do native WP app will now hold-off.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Right here's the problem. Not that I fault you; I don't at all. But it's you and many other developers who aren't updating their WP apps, or not creating them in the first place, because of WP's tenuous position in the market.

You know first hand how much a WP app is worth and its ROI. So please don't fault Facebook or Google or your local bank for not creating and/or updating their WP apps.

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I don't think Lumia brand will be used for an Android device...
if this rumor is true, it could be a flagship-grade X instead of a Lumia...

either way, both will kill WP and I'll really consider my choice

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
This is just business. They purchased a mobile phone manufacturer. They want to sell phones all out along with Microsoft Services (Office/OneDrive/apps). They are out to sell as many phones as possible and given the hardware can basically be the same, why not sell Android and WP? Twice the chance to sell hardware and services like OneDrive...

Sure, if WP continues expanding it's good for them, but let's face it. They're basically giving Windows away for free on all platforms now, aiming to get recurring service revenue.

Sure, I don't like it either, but I can see some reasoning...

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
no need to ask for promises.....its probably going to happen.......and so will alot of WP users
Unfortunately!
Maybe some will become disenchanted, especially those that are more vested in IOS and android anyway but in all truthfulness, this is all based on a BS rumor that doesn't get it right all the time. Moreover none of any of this rumor will affect us in the short run. We also know MS is developing McLaren and some new technology they refer to as 3D. Don't know what that is but if it turns out to be a little more than a gimmick, Its gonna be one bad A device. The good news is, it will NOT be running android.

Last edited:

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Maybe some will become disenchanted, especially those that are more vested in IOS and android anyway but in all truthfulness, this is all based on a BS rumor that doesn't get it right all the time. Moreover none of any of this rumor will affect us in the short run. We also know MS is developing McLaren and some new technology they refer to as 3D. Don't know what that is but if it turns out to be a little more than a gimmick, Its gonna be one bad A device. The good news is, it will NOT be running android.

But maybe it will run Android apps that don't support the 3D features :p

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I think everything was said in this thread. Let's see how all of it turns out.

zinkpad

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I could tolerate a Lumia device with Android, but run Android apps on WP (how said Tom Warren),... will be good for users (and good for Android developers), but I think terrible for WP developers and their apps.

Anyway, the problem is that Microsoft has no clear ideas... is always all time looking for B plan or changing things, ...

or are trying to reach benefits through Android devices to spend it on improve WP ...could it be :)

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Just a few minutes ago popular leaker @evleaks tweeted that an Android-powered Lumia is incoming, from Nokia by Microsoft.

Assuming that this Android powered Lumia is a serious effort, unlike the Nokia X series, and is a relatively high quality device, I find this to be very concerning for Windows Phone as a whole.

Personally, I would probably just cease developing for Windows Phone entirely, and just switch my focus to Android, assuming the rumor is true.

I understand Microsoft services on other platforms. That makes perfect sense to me. I even can see updating other platforms first, as much as it annoys me.

I do not, however, understand shafting the developer community, and the loyal Windows Phone user base, by creating both Android and Windows Phone devices, as equals. Dropping support of XNA was bad enough...

What are you guys' thoughts on this?
What MSFT should have done than try to enter the smartphone industry was create something better. THE FIRST TRUE POCKET PC. A 5-6" Surface phablet phone that ran on full Windows 8.1 and could run real x86 software. Microsoft should be sticking to what they know and that's PC's! Desktop PC's may be dying but mobile ones are growing. MSFT could usher in the pocket PC era and market it as a step above the "smartphone" which is a mini faux PC.

Sargon Aelther

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
What MSFT should have done than try to enter the smartphone industry was create something better. THE FIRST TRUE POCKET PC. A 5-6" Surface phablet phone that ran on full Windows 8.1 and could run real x86 software. Microsoft should be sticking to what they know and that's PC's! Desktop PC's may be dying but mobile ones are growing. MSFT could usher in the pocket PC era and market it as a step above the "smartphone" which is a mini faux PC.

Yup. That would have been a true successor to Windows Mobile, but they chose to copy the closed iOS instead. I'm glad that WP8.1 is a little bit more open now at least.

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Yup. That would have been a true successor to Windows Mobile, but they chose to copy the closed iOS instead. I'm glad that WP8.1 is a little bit more open now at least.

They would change the game with full Windows 8 loaded inside a phablet sized Surface device, it would relegate the smartphone as an obsolete mobile phone segment it would push smartphones to the mid level ahead of dumb phones but below pocket PC phones. Android and iOS are not full fledged PC operating systems like Windows 8 is. Microsoft would retake all of enterprise in the mobile sphere, x86 capable pocket PC phones is where Microsoft could've dealt a real blow to Apple and Google.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
How much of this is related to those guys who on their podcast said, "can we do that?". I have a feeling it is going to be some sort of Android emulator that will allow devs to just copy their Android apps to WP.

Also, didn't the evleaks guy have issues with the guys that run this site? Maybe he is just trolling us.

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
No need to overreact. :) I think that the thing that's going to "upset the whole world" is that Windows Phone users will be able to run Android apps on Windows Phone :) That would really upset everyone (excluding us WP users). That's something I actually believe, and agree with Tom Warren. That's what I thought in the first place. Eveleaks isn't a God.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720