Android powered Lumia from Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
How much of this is related to those guys who on their podcast said, "can we do that?". I have a feeling it is going to be some sort of Android emulator that will allow devs to just copy their Android apps to WP.

Also, didn't the evleaks guy have issues with the guys that run this site? Maybe he is just trolling us.

He's also been hoaxed twice in as many weeks... maybe this is a third.

AG VK

Banned
Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
They would change the game with full Windows 8 loaded inside a phablet sized Surface device, it would relegate the smartphone as an obsolete mobile phone segment it would push smartphones to the mid level ahead of dumb phones but below pocket PC phones. Android and iOS are not full fledged PC operating systems like Windows 8 is. Microsoft would retake all of enterprise in the mobile sphere, x86 capable pocket PC phones is where Microsoft could've dealt a real blow to Apple and Google.

You lot are so cute. You think hardware design is like waving a magic wand and complete blueprints come to you on unicorns?

No. What you describe is simply not possible. An x64/86 processor with supporting infrastructure in a 6" enclosure, with a battery capable of powering all this for more than say 8 hrs standby with 1 hr screen on time? This is simply not possible with today's level of consumer technology. You go to the universities, you go to the labs, you get a lot of experimental stuff but none of that can be mass-produced cheaply enough. There might be a design using some really exotic cutting edge stuff, but that would cost maybe $10-15,000/unit in just materials.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Maybe this allows WP apps to be ports a/la web apps. So instead of web apps we get android stuff. That way serious devs will still...nah. Getting BB10 flashbacks

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
You lot are so cute. You think hardware design is like waving a magic wand and complete blueprints come to you on unicorns?

No. What you describe is simply not possible. An x64/86 processor with supporting infrastructure in a 6" enclosure, with a battery capable of powering all this for more than say 8 hrs standby with 1 hr screen on time? This is simply not possible with today's level of consumer technology. You go to the universities, you go to the labs, you get a lot of experimental stuff but none of that can be mass-produced cheaply enough. There might be a design using some really exotic cutting edge stuff, but that would cost maybe $10-15,000/unit in just materials.

Nice try being condescending like you actually are smart enough to do so. Have you not seen these ultra thin 7-8 inch Windows 8 tablets on the market. I bought my parents a Dell Venue Pro 8 so they could Skype and keep in touch, and they get 9-10 hours of battery life out of it surfing the internet, playing games reading eBooks etc. It's almost the same weight as my Nokia Icon and it's thinner than my Icon as well. It runs a 32 bit Windows 8 without any problems, it very well could run 64 with the hardware available on market today.

It wouldn't take an entire redesign to make a Snapdragon 805 or Snapdragon 810 capable of handing the x86. It doesn't even limit to Qualcomm either, even the Intel Atom could be utilized. They're not trying to make pocket gaming rigs they don't need to design a 5000 dollar i5 or i7 powered phone. Not possible? Jesus dude get with it, go read a CNET or Engadet report. Pocket PC's aren't science fiction tech.

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
[WARN]Please keep this thread on topic and discuss the subject of the original post, not each other. If you cannot stay away from arguments, then this thread will need to be closed. [/WARN]

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
the rumor would be damaging to (wp) developer confidence. and loyal consumer confidence. and OEM expectations of exclusivity.

the only thing more disruptive would be dropping wp all together, and handing off the OEM's to Google.

there would be two disruptions though, first the os shake up, then the likely anti competitive lawsuits , for the US anyway.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
The Nokia X2 is a good product. Microsoft could sell millions of units. Probably the X3 will be even better.

They can't use the Nokia brand much longer, and they have to treat this platform as a first class citizen to compete with Google Android.

Lumia -something- could be a good brand for this product. I don't understand the drama, we already know that Microsoft is committed to WP and AOSP.

Wpcentral should cover the Nokia X.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Nice try being condescending like you actually are smart enough to do so. Have you not seen these ultra thin 7-8 inch Windows 8 tablets on the market. I bought my parents a Dell Venue Pro 8 so they could Skype and keep in touch, and they get 9-10 hours of battery life out of it surfing the internet, playing games reading eBooks etc. It's almost the same weight as my Nokia Icon and it's thinner than my Icon as well. It runs a 32 bit Windows 8 without any problems, it very well could run 64 with the hardware available on market today.

It wouldn't take an entire redesign to make a Snapdragon 805 or Snapdragon 810 capable of handing the x86. It doesn't even limit to Qualcomm either, even the Intel Atom could be utilized. They're not trying to make pocket gaming rigs they don't need to design a 5000 dollar i5 or i7 powered phone. Not possible? Jesus dude get with it, go read a CNET or Engadet report. Pocket PC's aren't science fiction tech.
There's no way they get 9-10 hours from a Dell Venue Pro 8 with web surfing, games and books. You'd have to provide video evidence to be believed. Just NO way. And even so, even if that was true, it would be way less than what is needed for a viable phone.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Boy, 9 pages. 9 PAGES. I hope this is only because we heard it from Evleaks, which has a decent history of correct rumors. Otherwise, I would say we as a community are a tad defensive these days.

-I understand Mr Nadella hasn't declared a dedication to WP yet. But, he also has done nothing to make anyone think Microsoft as a company is moving away from it. I am fine with the thought he has a vision he is pushing, but what makes anyone think he doesn't want WP to be succesful?

-Evleaks is a rumor site. In the end, that is all they are. They comb model names, code names, certificates, and whatever else they do to get ideas and then kick the tires on "inside sources" to see who bites on what. They get more right then wrong, but that doesn't translate to being set in stone because they say so.

-Nothing about this states WP will cease to exist if an Android flavored Lumia shows up. Ask Sony, HTC, Casio, LG, and basically anyone not named "Samsung" how those roads paved with gold are doing when you put out Android devices. I know they are not going broke, but they are fighting tooth and nail to get on even footing with the Galaxy series.

-I call shenangins. Until production starts and somone from Microsoft stands up on stage and announces it, I will not buy into this. I do not find it impossible, heck not even unlikely. There is a business model that shows MS is getting all of it's services in as many directions as it can. This could work in that stragety. But I am going to relax and ignore this unless it effects me and how I use mobile.

However, this is the proper place for panic. For those that need to vent, I say vent away here. Keep it civil, but if the sky is falling we will offer umbrella's as needed. But no need to give up on our favorite OS. There are still good reasons to believe MS wants to have this OS on top of the heap ASAP, not DOA.

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
There's no way they get 9-10 hours from a Dell Venue Pro 8 with web surfing, games and books. You'd have to provide video evidence to be believed. Just NO way. And even so, even if that was true, it would be way less than what is needed for a viable phone.
It's a very power efficient tablet I'm not saying 9 hours with constant on end videos, I mean like web surfing with the occasional flash videos on news sites etc... They get through the day on a single charge with moderate use. My Icon gets worse performance with my screen on low brightness. I'd be completely content with 10 hours on a smartphone, I don't live in a desert with no wall outlets for Christ's sake.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Boy, 9 pages. 9 PAGES. I hope this is only because we heard it from Evleaks, which has a decent history of correct rumors. Otherwise, I would say we as a community are a tad defensive these days.

Kinda reminds you of what Facebook did with their planted stories to see how people respond.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

I have a DVP 8 and I don't get that many hours from it doing all that stuff. I think the battery on this device is pretty good too. I think we got a bit of puffing to make the point more salient than it otherwise would be. But all this gets beyond the original thread. Which is only a rumor.

vincelac

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
It would be cool to have a phone that could dual boot WP and Android (kind of like that Samsung tablet that either didn't happen or crashed and burned because I haven't heard anything about it in months).

Getting Android users stuck on the collection of Bing, HERE Maps, and a WP-like skin would be a nice transition to WP. It'd also be cool to see an Android with the ability to easily get rid of bloat ware.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
You know...I changed my mind about this.

I think they should be able to run any android app and I do me any android app on WP....here's why..because sooner than later someone over at XDA will develop a way to run full asop on it and when that happens it will actually be the best phone on the market. Seriously..think about it..at 1 time on my noteII I had 7 or 8 complete roms with data apps,music,movies.and could switch out to any of them in just a few minutes..if we had a complete back up on the SD card of WP...we could have the absolute best of all worlds...

I know I know....it's just a pipe dream...and doesn't stand a snowballs chance in Hades but it's still nice to dream instead of being bummed out about all this bs

Even if it wasn't a true dual boot and we needed to use something like Nokia Care Suite to change back and forth..I would still welcome it

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I think what we are going to get that will shock the mobile world will be more of an android hub within windows 9. Native android run within a launcher, similar to the games hub, only it will be a place to launch android apps. This will hopefully be a universal app that runs on phone tablet and pc. I could see this as a game changer for windows as a platform. If you have an android phone, it would maybe link to it somehow. But they will need to show that the apps developed for windows are always a better option. Flexibility and cross platform support need to really be the focus. Oh yea, stellar hardware will always help.

Kubiubo

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
This isn't going to be the popular opinion, but everyone needs to realize that Nokia did this with Symbian by switching to Windows Phone, Samsung did this by choosing Android, and HTC did this by using both Windows Phone and Android. They CAN live harmoniously.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
This isn't going to be the popular opinion, but everyone needs to realize that Nokia did this with Symbian by switching to Windows Phone, Samsung did this by choosing Android, and HTC did this by using both Windows Phone and Android. They CAN live harmoniously.
AND look at HTC and Samsung windows phone offering....after thoughts compared to their android phones.

vincelac

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
AND look at HTC and Samsung windows phone offering....after thoughts compared to their android phones.

BUT Microsoft doesn't own Samsung and HTC. It's about building an ecosystem. Samsung wants their own mobile OS and they are prioritizing hardware over creating the basis for the OS and an app store. WP already has an OS. Why not try and win people over with a stunning design. They can get the "full" experience by switching to Windows Phone, but they can continue to make Microsoft money via Bing and Nokia hardware by using a Nokia with Android.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb