Android powered Lumia from Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
There is a lot of over reaction to this news...
I'm sure MS are NOT going to phase out WP anytime soon. They have invested too much time and money in creating what is a stand out mobile phone experience. It's instantly recognisable. If people see it, they know its WP

If WP could run Android apps, why would that be so bad? Think about it... The OS itself is NOT the problem. It's, as everyone has said ad nauseum, the 'app gap'. If WP had the option to run Android apps, that would mean thousands of apps instantly become available for the user. This would bolster the platform and a lot more people would consider switching to WP from other platforms. I don;t think that developers would stop writing native apps for WP.
Android apps would just be another string to the bow, so to speak. Imagine Android apps running inside an OS that flies and just works.
The term 'Lagdroid' is used a lot on here. It's not the apps that are the problem, it is the OS that 'lags'. The apps themselves are not the lag factor....

The idea that if we could run Android apps, we may as well get an Android device, is utter BS IMHO!!! If people could get access to all those apps, they would consider switching to WP. At the moment it is the lack of apps that is stopping a lot of those potential users shifting across to WP.

My 18 year old daugher is due for an upgrade in September this year. She is currently on iOS, and has been for years. She has asked for a Lumia 930 as the replacement. As she has said, "I don't like Android, it's too cluttered and complicated." A lot of her friends have WP devices, so she has had the chance to use them, and she likes the WP platform. As long as she can use Twitter, make calls and text,, thats pretty much all she cares about.

MS know what they're doing. (even if a lot of users think they don't). they wouldn't have survived this long if they didn't. We may not like the way they do things from time to time, but they always deliver in the end. They are still a relevant multi million dollar company, who are still innovating today. Look at Android L and iOS. Their 'new' UI is a blatant copy of the way things are done on WP. Simpler graphics, flattened icons, transitional animations... Where did they get that idea, I wonder???

So, let's stop sounding the death knell for WP every 2 minutes, and get behind it instead. It 'ain't going anywhere!!! We chose this platform for a reason..
Simply put, it's slick, sexy and cool and will only continue to get better. New WP devices are being announced almost daily. Doesn't sound like a dying platform to me. If MS didn't believe thay had a winner, they would have dumped it a long time ago, before the Nokia acquisition.

MS seem to be thinking 'outside the box' on this one. And I'm sure the tight control that MS has on its store would be maintained. Security issues are down to the OS and lacklustre quality control on the Android Store.

So let's stop the paranoia, and enjoy the journey ahead. It;s gonna be a f***ing blast!!!!

Last edited:

vincelac

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
What exactly is stopping Android apps from running on WP? Different languages? Can't simple ports fix the problem? I don't understand why it is so hard to get the apps on WP.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
What exactly is stopping Android apps from running on WP? Different languages? Can't simple ports fix the problem? I don't understand why it is so hard to get the apps on WP.

Because Android is the Linux kernel and WP is based on NT/ARM. I'm sure that if MS were considering this, they would want any realtime 'porting' software to run without lag. It's not as simple as porting the apps across, If that was the case, all the apps would run like ****!!!

vincelac

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Because Android is the Linux kernel and WP is based on NT/ARM. I'm sure that if MS were considering this, they would want any realtime 'porting' software to run without lag. It's not as simple as porting the apps across, If that was the case, all the apps would run like ****!!!

So if we were looking at it like language families, WP is like Chinese while Android is like German. Completely different language families that are very difficult to translate?

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Difficult but not impossible.... An elegant and robust solution is required for this sort of thing, and I'm sure if anyone can, MS can.....

AG VK

Banned
Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Simply put, it's slick, sexy and cool and will only continue to get better. New WP devices are being announced almost daily. Doesn't sound like a dying platform to me. If MS didn't believe thay had a winner, they would have dumped it a long time ago, before the Nokia acquisition.

MS seem to be thinking 'outside the box' on this one. And I'm sure the tight control that MS has on its store would be maintained. Security issues are down to the OS and lacklustre quality control on the Android Store.

So let's stop the paranoia, and enjoy the journey ahead. It;s gonna be a blast!!!!

Where are new WP devices being announced almost every day? If MS launched an Android (actually any non-WP phone), that is pretty much a statement that WP will never take off and they need to get revenue out of people on other platforms.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
So, false alarm? :)

I believe so.

I think MS are seriously looking at a way to run Android apps on WP. Somebody at EV Leaks has heard a whisper, and has changed that into "MS WILL be releasing an Android based Lumia".... It was a one line comment, and it has generated so much backlash, it is unbelievable!!!!

It's great that WP owners are so passionate, but let's look at the reality, instead of 'throwing the baby out with the bathwater' (An English saying).

Anyway, 8.1 and Cyan are just around the corner. Let's enjoy that instead!!!!

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Where are new WP devices being announced almost every day? If MS launched an Android (actually any non-WP phone), that is pretty much a statement that WP will never take off and they need to get revenue out of people on other platforms.

Again, more negativity!!!!

As for the upcoming WP devices... Read the news on these forums.

It's a RUMOUR by EV Leaks that an Android Lumia is in the works. Even if that is so, why is it the end of WP??? There is no basis for that apart from the apparent 'fly by nighters', who seem to have got their knickers in a twist over one f***ing line on a 'rumours' website....

It amazes me that some WP owners will not stop until we all agree, 'it's over'. Well it quite clearly isn't.

Answer this... Why would a huge company still produce phones and technology based on a 'dead' OS. It makes no sense at all. Business wise or or in any other sense. There seems to be a load of upcoming phones: budget, midrange and high end. What a great idea. "We're going to dump OUR OS and mobile business, but still keep producing phones, based on that OS, anyway!!" Or even better, "Let's base all our upcoming phones on an OS that is owned by our 'mortal enemy'.
Do you think Google would agree to that, when they and MS have been at each others' throats for years, in and out of the courts.
Remember the YouTube app by MS that was pulled because Google weren't happy that it bypassed the ads. then promised to 'work with MS' on an app that was 'compatible' with their business view? Google gave the promised YouTube APIs to MS, then promptly changed the code so any app was incompatible. Amazing!!!!

I remember when WP7 came out. The critics and hacks lined up to predict the death of that offering and also MS as a company. Well it was successful, to a point. Then MS released the 520 and 920. Their biggest successes to date......

Anyway, if you feel that it is over, please leave by the door marked 'Exit'.

Personally, I think I'll stay until the end.......

Last edited:

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

smnrock

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
May be this is the one... The Microsoft developer hints as awesome? Could be with dual boot options... WP and Android

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

Elitis

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
There is no way this helps Windows Phone any way you look at it. That will definitely be the day I go android and guess what, I won't be getting a Lumia!
Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Actually, it helps WP more than you think. What Microsoft and by extension, Nokia, have been doing is pretty smart. The number one reason people are too stubborn to even try WP is because they don't like the live tiles. Then we have the "WP doesn't have any apps" claim. So, how do you get around these issues? You use the number one mobile OS to your advantage. There are so many people who love Nokia, but have never liked the fact they went all in with WP. They wanted an Android phone with Nokia's "amazing hardware".

Just because of the fact it's a Nokia, people will buy it. Just look at the sales numbers of the Nokia X series. It may not have much effect on the people who just don't like the UI, but for those who simply wanted Android, the plan works wonders. The UI on the X series closely resembles the Modern/Metro UI. You get people used to it through these Android phones, and eventually, the hope is that they decide to give WP a try. They become so used to the UI, that it starts to feel like a natural progression. It's gradual brainwashing.

wabelo

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
So what happens if MS release a mobile version of BlueStacks (an android app emulator) for Windows Phone? It would be great, we can use the apk's we want (except the ones that requires root permissions) for free and have the option to use them like the games, in the app list or in a hub. Just sayin'. What do you think about that possibility?

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Actually, it helps WP more than you think. What Microsoft and by extension, Nokia, have been doing is pretty smart. The number one reason people are too stubborn to even try WP is because they don't like the live tiles. Then we have the "WP doesn't have any apps" claim. So, how do you get around these issues? You use the number one mobile OS to your advantage. There are so many people who love Nokia, but have never liked the fact they went all in with WP. They wanted an Android phone with Nokia's "amazing hardware".

Just because of the fact it's a Nokia, people will buy it. Just look at the sales numbers of the Nokia X series. It may not have much effect on the people who just don't like the UI, but for those who simply wanted Android, the plan works wonders. The UI on the X series closely resembles the Modern/Metro UI. You get people used to it through these Android phones, and eventually, the hope is that they decide to give WP a try. They become so used to the UI, that it starts to feel like a natural progression. It's gradual brainwashing.

You live in utopia my friend. If they get the Nokia brand AND the UI on Android they have no reason to ever try WP. On Android they would get a largely superior app store and Google services so why bother switching at all? It's like hoping a Windows 8 user will buy an Xbox One over a PS4 just because they're used to the UI.

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
So what happens if MS release a mobile version of BlueStacks (an android app emulator) for Windows Phone? It would be great, we can use the apk's we want (except the ones that requires root permissions) for free and have the option to use them like the games, in the app list or in a hub. Just sayin'. What do you think about that possibility?

I think it would still stop devs from making native Windows Phone apps. I think it will be the end of Windows Phone.

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

from what I heard, BlueStacks for Windows lags terribly...
and also, Android apps on BlackBerry lags as well...

is that what you want for WP?
I'm definitely not looking forward to that

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
You live in utopia my friend. If they get the Nokia brand AND the UI on Android they have no reason to ever try WP. On Android they would get a largely superior app store and Google services so why bother switching at all? It's like hoping a Windows 8 user will buy an Xbox One over a PS4 just because they're used to the UI.

Also, there's no reason to switch to a WP Nokia device when they want to keep low cost devices (the X2 is better and cheaper than the 630) and when they want to get a device in a higher price area, then they could just as well switch to any other Android device as Microsoft services are at least as good (and usually better) on Android as they are on Windows Phone. They would lose the tiles and the Nokia brand, that's all.

Additionally, there are things that the Nokia X OS does better than Windows Phones. Mainly Fastlane. While Windows Phone copied the Android notification center rather poorly and it took them 4 years to do so, Nokia was able to implement the pretty awesome looking Fastlane on their X devices as a side-project.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
It seems like MS isn't taking WP as seriously as they should. Hopefully they look at the reactions to their Android s/storm and triple down on WP. I'm talking 8.1 level updates as GDRs and focus on the native first party apps. That should help elevate them. Its not just apps that's the issue. Its the overall experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb