Android powered Lumia from Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Keep in mind that I have no desire to see this by the way. I'd rather WP apps over Android. I don't like this idea at all.

Jangir Amit

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
MS not end support for windows phone,they makes an emulator for android apps. It's optional but overall destroying WP app development.
Sent from my RM-998_im_india_910 using Tapatalk

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
If they allow a VM in WP does that mean all apps built for Android will run on it? Also...what are the limitations of a VM or VB on the lower memory Nokia phones,wouldn't it by nature have to have more memory to even run well?

Me thinks it's either going to be a full dual boot or a full asop device...that has been seen

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
If they allow a VM in WP does that mean all apps built for Android will run on it? Also...what are the limitations of a VM

Depends if it's a full Android VM or limited to a MS Android store VM like the X series. I think it will be more to the latter than the first.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Depends if it's a full Android VM or limited to a MS Android store VM like the X series. I think it will be more to the latter than the first.

What they have now isn't a very good solution in the X imho.,perhaps for the lower memory phones,but not as a high end one. Many are rooting them and running custom roms.

From a techies pov..a full dual boot with cloud backup....I think I would have to get one because it would mean it wasn't as dependent on the hardware except for storage and since both WP and ASOP allow for SD card...man that really opens the door wide open.

I could see some of the advertising for this phone now

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
What they have now isn't a very good solution in the X imho.,perhaps for the lower memory phones,but not as a high end one. Many are rooting them and running custom roms.

Well that's not surprising as the X series is supposed to be about bringing people to MS services and WP. I've considered it a failed idea since day one myself. A VM on the other hand is a different thing entirely. I don't see it being a full VM as that would mean running Google services and so on. I don't see Google approving that. I'm thinking more along the lines of a custom store. You can't root a VM. I also see this about bringing the missing apps rather than supplying Google services.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Well that's not surprising as the X series is supposed to be about bringing people to MS services and WP. I've considered it a failed idea since day one myself. A VM on the other hand is a different thing entirely. I don't see it being a full VM as that would mean running Google services and so on. I don't see Google approving that. I'm thinking more along the lines of a custom store. You can't root a VM. I also see this about bringing the missing apps rather than supplying Google services.

Wow you type fast...lol

A true dual boot..on a WP would be like running Boot Camp on a Mac..truly the best in one system provided you have the hardware..that would be the key 🔑

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Wow you type fast...lol

A true dual boot..on a WP would be like running Boot Camp on a Mac..truly the best in one system provided you have the hardware..that would be the key 

I don't see much practical use in that. How would you use such a device? Deciding in the morning what apps you most likely will use and start your OS according to that? And even if you could switch instantly, could the two systems talk to each other, would messages sent on one system also be on the second system?

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

Really? How many? 1%? Few people root their phones.

The Nokia X had been a major success. It's the bestseller phone in Russia and other markets. The third bestseller in India which is the third biggest smartphone market in the world.

That's why MS announced the X2 and they may rebrand it to Lumia X for the next iterations, according to the rumors.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I don't see much practical use in that. How would you use such a device? Deciding in the morning what apps you most likely will use and start your OS according to that? And even if you could switch instantly, could the two systems talk to each other, would messages sent on one system also be on the second system?

Why couldn't they communicate effectively.

Everyone has been thinking universal apps mean just across one platform,but.....what if they really mean across all platforms all os's ?

Think about this...Microsoft takes this on and will bring it's desktop lead into it's mobile division.

Yes..you decide what os you use for whatever reason..a developer can build a universal app to talk to all so you won't be without the other

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Really? How many? 1%? Few people root their phones.

The Nokia X had been I major success. It's the bestseller phone in Russia and other markets. The third bestseller in India which is the third biggest smartphone market in the world.

That's why MS announced the X2 and they may rebrand it to Lumia X for the next iterations, according to the rumors.

1% that are rooting is many...I never said everyone...which to my way of saying a dual boot phone that can have all benefits of each platform is really the best of both worlds

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site

I agree, and Microsoft would have complete control over which apps to allow in this store. I think some people are under the assumption that this strategy would automatically give Windows Phone users complete access to all Android apps. It's still a risky strategy in the sense as some major app developers may decide that running an Android app on Windows Phone is adequate. However, if Microsoft can provide a proper incentive to these developers to continue native Windows Phone support, possibly with the Universal app strategy, this ordeal could potentially work out. For ease of use, both native apps and approved Android apps should be available in the same store (but not the same titles duplicated) and of course the Android ones would be restricted to those who have installed WP 8.2/WP 9.0 or whatever is required.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
1% that are rooting is many...I never said everyone...which to my way of saying a dual boot phone that can have all benefits of each platform is really the best of both worlds

According to Tom Warren It will be the same way BlackBerry is doing it.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
According to Tom Warren It will be the same way BlackBerry is doing it.

Gee...how well is that working out for them.

A true dual boot phone won't be saddled with the restrictions the X has and will take Microsoft from a distant 3rd to the top.

As to the developers,it won't hurt them at all and if the apps that need to talk cross platform are enabled,will give both WP devs and Android devs more customers.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Wow you type fast...lol

A true dual boot..on a WP would be like running Boot Camp on a Mac..truly the best in one system provided you have the hardware..that would be the key ��

I don't see a dual boot working personally. It totally removes the idea behind what MS is trying to do. It's not about being an Android phone. It's about getting the apps quicker and making it a more viable option to switch to WP. It also gets away from using Google services.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Gee...how well is that working out for them.

A true dual boot phone won't be saddled with the restrictions the X has and will take Microsoft from a distant 3rd to the top.

As to the developers,it won't hurt them at all and if the apps that need to talk cross platform are enabled,will give both WP devs and Android devs more customers.

I wouldn't expect dual boot personally as such. Maybe a 'Lumia' version of the X interface. High spec phone. Anyway, we're talking VM not dual boot. Virtual Machine is different than a dual boot.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't see a dual boot working personally. It totally removes the idea behind what MS is trying to do. It's not about being an Android phone. It's about getting the apps quicker and making it a more viable option to switch to WP. It also gets away from using Google services.

I'd like to have the Google services though ;-)

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I agree, and Microsoft would have complete control over which apps to allow in this store. I think some people are under the assumption that this strategy would automatically give Windows Phone users complete access to all Android apps. It's still a risky strategy in the sense as some major app developers may decide that running an Android app on Windows Phone is adequate. However, if Microsoft can provide a proper incentive to these developers to continue native Windows Phone support, possibly with the Universal app strategy, this ordeal could potentially work out. For ease of use, both native apps and approved Android apps should be available in the same store (but not the same titles duplicated) and of course the Android ones would be restricted to those who have installed WP 8.2/WP 9.0 or whatever is required.

In fact Microsoft needs a big user base to motivate developers to test and submit their apps to the store and keep them updated to the latest version.

So, both WP and Nokia X add users the store and are needed to attract developers.

Both platforms are part of the same strategy.

People has to understand that even if WP would have all the apps, most consumers would choose Android anyways, the brand is too strong. Nakia X helps to capture some of those users to the Microsoft ecosystem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05