Android powered Lumia from Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I wrote it in another thread: I don't want a Windows Phone Android app launcher with limited features, and I don't want an Android Microsoft app launcher with limited features either. I can have the real deal, Android with all its features and all its apps (which includes Microsoft services).

To me both options are more attractive than the current WP with few low quality apps.
Android apps add value to the platform. I think the general public will see it that way, and sales are going to respond accordingly.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
To me both options are more attractive than the current WP with few low quality apps.
Android apps add value to the platform. I think the general public will see it that way, and sales are going to respond accordingly.

I just couldn't see the differentiator anymore. Tiles? Android has widgets. The design? Android L will be heavily inspired by the Metro design language.

Microsoft services are already at least as good when not better on other platforms. The cameras are awesome but the competition had a lot of time to play catch up and they have. The Nokia brand is already diluted with the Nokia X devices.

What would be the place of Windows Phone?

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I just couldn't see the differentiator anymore. Tiles? Android has widgets. The design? Android L will be heavily inspired by the Metro design language.

Microsoft services are already at least as good when not better on other platforms. The cameras are awesome but the competition had a lot of time to play catch up and they have. The Nokia brand is already diluted with the Nokia X devices.

What would be the place of Windows Phone?

What Is the differentiator now? Lack of apps? Subpar apps for top services like twitter and Instagram? Yes they are, but a negative differentiator.

In my view Android apps could help to solve the app problem, the biggest problem for the platform, so Microsoft can forget about that problem and use their resources to create the differentiator.

What could be the differentiator?
*High quality native apps for the top services.
*Integration with Windows and Xbox. *Innovation in the user interface.
* Battery life.
*Cortana
*Security
*Etc.

If Microsoft can't innovate then WP is dead with or without Android apps. Android apps would free resources to invest in new things.

What is the point of spending million of dollars to get native fluke apps that are forgotten after a couple of days or apps that are used a few minutes per month?

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Reading all of the reports that Microsoft makes a lot of money through patents on technology used in Android, it would not be too surprising if Microsoft decides to use the technology that is making them money. They will likely not include Google Apps or services. I could definitely see a low to mid-range Android "Nokia by Microsoft" device helping prevent claims of patent trolling.

That said, a Lumia Android phone could look like a knock-off, and would definitely cause brand name confusion.

I hope the news just means that Nokia by Microsoft will be continuing the X line, maybe bumping it from low-end to mid-level.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
No, it wont take Microsoft to the top. Why would it?

And do you really think WP developers wont be affected, not to mention the slow death of native WP apps? Will these android cr-apps have live tiles, transparent tiles, work in the action center or lock screen? Or is it worth throwing all that away just to have the lastest snapchat app?

Dude...you can't see the forest for the trees here.

No one has a true dual boot phone..this alone would garner more free advertising than even the next new iPhone.

Native app development won't suffer hello...it will increase for it.

A true dual boot phone runs both equally well...it would be like having a high end nexus built into a Windows phone.

The customer decides which one to use at boot up.Each is independent but can talk to one another if the apps allow for it,and this is why it would become the most sought after phone on the market.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
What Is the differentiator now? Lack of apps? Subpar apps for top services like twitter and Instagram? Yes they are, but a negative differentiator.

In my view Android apps could help to solve the app problem, the biggest problem for the platform, so Microsoft can forget about that problem and use their resources to create the differentiator.

What could be the differentiator?
*High quality native apps for the top services.
*Integration with Windows and Xbox. *Innovation in the user interface.
* Battery life.
*Cortana
*Security
*Etc.

If Microsoft can't innovate then WP is dead with or without Android apps. Android apps would free resources to invest in new things.

What is the point of spending million of dollars to get native fluke apps that are forgotten after a couple of days or apps that are used a few minutes per month?

I think the most important differentiator is just being different. Not being Google and not being Apple while bringing a for most people fresh user interface.

This would pretty much be lost with the Android ties.

I might be wrong though, I really don't know.

tohoshinki

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I wish Microsoft would realize that innovating/adding features isn't going to sell phones. Apple and Samsung proved that if you want to make it to the top, you need to spend billions and billions in advertising and sell the device to stupid people. 99% of people who buy phones don't know how to use them anyway. Tiles or Icons end up not making much of a difference.

They might have the best product on the market. But it won't sell if no one knows about it.

Samsung is SLAYING everyone when it comes to advertising and it reflects in their sales accordingly.

If WP adds Android Support or not, it wont mean a thing unless Microsoft ADVERTISES.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I wish Microsoft would realize that innovating/adding features isn't going to sell phones. Apple and Samsung proved that if you want to make it to the top, you need to spend billions and billions in advertising and sell the device to stupid people. 99% of people who buy phones don't know how to use them anyway. Tiles or Icons end up not making much of a difference.

They might have the best product on the market. But it won't sell if no one knows about it.

Samsung is SLAYING everyone when it comes to advertising and it reflects in their sales accordingly.

If WP adds Android Support or not, it wont mean a thing unless Microsoft ADVERTISES.

iPhones and Androids are almost the main revenue for Apple and Google respectively. Microsoft's main revenue source is quite different, so it's not rushing to spent billions on adverts.
Anyway, I think MS is very happy with it's current share in WP8/8.1 and it has very ambitious plans, like 20%/40% in consumer/business market in UK.

Edit 1: Not Google, but Samsung.

Last edited:

LumiaWorld

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Whoever said MS will abandon WP and focus on Android? The OS is not going anywhere, okay? MS is just releasing an Android product and that's it.

But hey, I am also not convinced with this Android Lumia. Don't know why MS would do such thing

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Whoever said MS will abandon WP and focus on Android? The OS is not going anywhere, okay? MS is just releasing an Android product and that's it.

But hey, I am also not convinced with this Android Lumia. Don't know why MS would do such thing

Concept/prototype I guess... I mean car manufacturers make concept cars all the time that look and sound awesome but never make it into general production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire