Android powered Lumia from Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
MS aren't showing second thoughts at all.
Why is everyone so certain about this? You are very wrong if you think that.
That's why nobody has heard of a response from MS or Dan Rubino. It's a non rumour that doesn't warrant a reply!!!
But once again, certain WP users have added fuel to the fire by whining and speculating that it's 'all over'.It says more about them than the rumour itself. I wish they would get a grip!!!!!

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand if MS made and Android device, WP would be dead. It makes no sense.

Samsung make Android and WP devices. LG are supposed to be bringing a WP phone to market, same as Sony...... Would their business die if they concentrated on 2 or multiple platforms? Highly doubtful!!!
Beacuse MS makes the OS makes no difference.

The question is: 'Is WP a relevant paltform?' Of course....
Will making thousands of Android apps available kill WP? No.. It's laughable!!!

Everyone is assuming it would be done via a VM. Do you think that MS are working on a way to do this without using a VM? Maybe.... That would be a true 'game changer'. Apps and OS are two seperate entities. They stand alone, but work in tandem to deliver a useable experience.
Look at the current FB app. It looks no different to the iOS or Android versions. Yes, it's awful, but that is down to FB, not MS. They are shackled by what FB allows.

It's still a rumour about a 'device'. Just probably a high end X series device with a Lumia branding.... So what!!!!

I'm sure we will see thousands of users switching to WP as it matures and gets better and better. It will fill the void left by the 'Chicken Little' crowd....
point is the more apt comparison here would be...scenario where iOS starts to lose an apple goes android route.

Samsung,lg are mere oems like nokia was before.they dont have allegiance to any OS just profit.

trwrt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft might be able to get away with it on the low end where people are coming from the featurephone world, but it's hard to imagine there is much of a market for high-end Android phones that don't have access to the Play Store. I don't buy it.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Strangely enough didn't the movie feature an alien invasion afterwards, and the fairy tale a fox attack?
Does that mean that you're implying there's another way Microsoft wants to screw -up WP?
Hope not, because I'm getting a new Surface Pro 3 and some super-Lumia to go with it
Also. I go with the people who say that this is a dumb rumor. So yeah

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I thought by now this thread would have run it's course but it seems that people like going in circles. I think it's just part of human nature. :p

So let's look at things from a rational point of view. Feel free to argue.

MS releases an Android phone under the Lumia name with high specs. Is this a good things for WP considering most people associate WP with Lumia. Answer, no, it will simply confuse the consumer. I don't see any advantage other than giving people what they wanted from Nokia when they switched to WP. People were begging for Nokia Android phones. We have the X series at the low end and we know that people are rooting these already, do we really see it any differently with a high end phone?

MS plans to implement a Android VM onto WP to help with the 'app gap'. Is this a good idea? Yes and no.
We know from experience that putting Android on a device won't help sells out but of course BB was already on it's way into irrelevancy before it did that. It just didn't help the situation. Is WP in the same place as BB was when they did it? Not really. Unlike BB, WP has been growing regardless of the lackluster phones that have come out lately.

So in what way would a VM help or work? In my opinion, the only way this idea of having Android apps on WP would work is, if and only if, it's completely and utterly seamless. Meaning you would never know you were using or downloading and Android app. To the user it would simply just be an app. That's it. No special store. No special launcher. No indication anywhere that you're not downloading and using a WP app. If they can do that, then I think it would be fine. If they can't do that, then it's a botch and it will fail miserably.

I'll wait and see what MS does and if any of these rumours have any truth to them. Until then we can discuss all we want but it's just really talking about nothing and getting upset over an unknown.

DER1996

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I don't know why , but if the windows phone community seems to be repeting on sentence over and over and over than it is " The end is coming " , believe it's not .... not yet any way . All I know is this some crazy rumor that will probably never happen ( what's next windows 9 to be based on Linux :p , or Microsoft is open sourcing office :p ) I have 99% that this rumor is pure fiction , BUT a Lumia that can run android apps + the unification of all the stores ( - s40 store ) is NOT IMPOSSIBLE , but still FAR-FETCHED in my personal humble opinion. Oh and seriously if windows phone survived the transition from WP7 to WP8 without dying than it can go through this period with minimum damage , I know its' growth has slowed down but hat's simply because not that much hardware has been released in 2014 ( globally that is ) but with the holiday season on horizon , I bet you're going to be seeing a lot of windows sold ( but in no way near to androids :p because that would unfortunately be delusional )

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't know why , but if the windows phone community seems to be repeting on sentence over and over and over than it is " The end is coming " , believe it's not .... not yet any way . All I know is this some crazy rumor that will probably never happen ( what's next windows 9 to be based on Linux :p , or Microsoft is open sourcing office :p ) I have 99% that this rumor is pure fiction , BUT a Lumia that can run android apps + the unification of all the stores ( - s40 store ) is NOT IMPOSSIBLE , but still FAR-FETCHED in my personal humble opinion. Oh and seriously if windows phone survived the transition from WP7 to WP8 without dying than it can go through this period with minimum damage , I know its' growth has slowed down but hat's simply because not that much hardware has been released in 2014 ( globally that is ) but with the holiday season on horizon , I bet you're going to be seeing a lot of windows sold ( but in no way near to androids :p because that would unfortunately be delusional )

Windows Phone + Android apps...remember OS/2? No?
Remember BB10? No?
Sailfish OS? Jolla?
Ever used Instagram on Amazon? Starbucks? Exactly.
Android Apps on WP is a Kamikaze attack aimed at Google that will fail to do anything but kill the attackers and highlight their desperation.

Wielbladek

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Android app support would be definitely a win-win for windows phone, even without native performance. From the marketing point of view, it is a great way to show that even user isn't limited in terms of apps, it is still better to build windows phone native apps to boost user experience.

HelloLudger

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
Having the Android Runtime under WP would really be suicidal. Maybe they can do it the other way around: Enable WP apps to be compiled as first class Android apps (and maybe even IOS?). This way they would encourage development using their tools and for WP instead of pushing them away...
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I thought by now this thread would have run it's course but it seems that people like going in circles. I think it's just part of human nature. :p

So let's look at things from a rational point of view. Feel free to argue.

MS releases an Android phone under the Lumia name with high specs. Is this a good things for WP considering most people associate WP with Lumia. Answer, no, it will simply confuse the consumer. I don't see any advantage other than giving people what they wanted from Nokia when they switched to WP. People were begging for Nokia Android phones. We have the X series at the low end and we know that people are rooting these already, do we really see it any differently with a high end phone?

A Lumia X pureview could be a good product, the camera is a good differentiator. A Lumia X for the enterprise integrated with MS services could be a good product too.
I don't know if Lumia is a good brand, but they can sell ASOP with MS services in high-end hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05