I'm gonna say it again, Microsoft is taking the P*** or (WP'S Death of a thousand cuts)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Hey Win Phans, you lived through the change from WP7 to WP8 and survived. You endured the app gap, you watched the music experience disintegrate and other platforms get a better Office and Skype experience, yet you're still here despite Microsoft's best efforts to push you away.

Microsoft is, as we all know, never one to give up trying to alienate its fanbase and now plans to bring out a Lumia powered by Android. Yes, you heard me right. A Lumia powered by freaking ANDROID. An android phone with the LUMIA name.

Instead of spending time developing WP, they mess about with Android.

I'll say it now, if WP dies, it will not be because of one major thing, it'll be the death of a 1000 cuts.

Android powered Lumia bearing ‘Nokia by Microsoft’ branding rumored | NPU

I'm pissed off, spent so much money in the app store, paid the XBM monthly subscription, endured ...loading..and resuming... and not having the latest apps. Now MS have gone all burning platform on us. do this and they can take their Phone and suck it

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Well, all my anger was already spent on the X2, the better, cheaper Lumia 630.

For this here I have only a shrug left.

afnan_mc

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Hello there.
I'm pissed too. But you know what.? It makes sense for them. That's not just me supporting Microsoft. God no. If you've seen reviews the Lumia series gets, you'd almost certainly notice if it weren't for the OS, they'd constantly get near perfect scores. It sucks, I'm aware. When the Nokia X was announced, I didn't mind, it was a low end device with a Windows Phone based UI connected to Microsoft's services.
And that's the very point here. This probably wont be the Android I've come to know and love (hate it all you want, but Android L looks gorgeous right now. I'll stick with WP, but just saying). It'll help transition users to the Windows Phone ecosystem.
Then there's pricing. That's the key reasoning here. There'll be one phone, I'm hoping Is low-mid range, and that's about it. They're not creating an entire line and ditching Windows Phone. Microsoft has invested way too much on the platform and now has a viable app base. Half a million developers is not something you just turn your back on just like that.

Seems to me, based on reading the original post, you're going over your head hating Microsoft.

That said, if any Microsoft employee is reading thus (I've been told you guys do that), please do stick with what you know best. And that's Windows Phone. I'm probably not going to ditch Windows Phone if you make and Android powered Lumia, but several are going to be awfully pissed at you.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
If you've seen reviews the Lumia series gets, you'd almost certainly notice if it weren't for the OS, they'd constantly get near perfect scores.

The Lumia 630 got withering reviews because of the hardware. The reviews of Windows Phone 8.1 and the higher-end hardware in general (1520 for example) were pretty good if I remember correctly.

Xeon Gutierrez

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
And that's the very point here. This probably wont be the Android I've come to know and love (hate it all you want, but Android L looks gorgeous right now. I'll stick with WP, but just saying). It'll help transition users to the Windows Phone ecosystem.
Then there's pricing. That's the key reasoning here. There'll be one phone, I'm hoping Is low-mid range, and that's about it. They're not creating an entire line and ditching Windows Phone. Microsoft has invested way too much on the platform and now has a viable app base. Half a million developers is not something you just turn your back on just like that.
We thought that Microsoft would make only one Nokia X phone, and dump it... The Nokia X2 proved us wrong. I'm just saying.

But even if it is a mid ranged phone, having it in the Lumia brand implies that it is equal to WP in Microsoft's eyes. MS needs to have faith in their own platform.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
The Lumia 630 got withering reviews because of the hardware. The reviews of Windows Phone 8.1 and the higher-end hardware in general (1520 for example) were pretty good if I remember correctly.
In addition, if the OS drags the hardware down, then improve the ****ing OS. Aren't they a software company?

afnan_mc

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Again, they do. Samsung has been resting Tizen so I'm guessing you believe Android users are going to ditch Samsung? Please. Right now, as I said I'm not fond of the idea, but I highly doubt that its one that'd cause me to leave the OS entirely. Especially since, like you, I've invested in the ecosystem too.

afnan_mc

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I meant the 1520 actually.
Yes, the 630 is a rather sad device. It's hard to reason getting it instead of the Moto E.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I meant the 1520 actually.
Yes, the 630 is a rather sad device. It's hard to reason getting it instead of the Moto E.

The 925 and the 1020 got high reviews 8.1 on the verge, I believe. The 1520 had its own problems with scaling and apps designed for bug screens.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Let me get this straight. You're saying Windows Phone lags on the device?

One WP does lag. There is an argument below....its just....loading...resuming...sorry I forgot

What I mean is that software problems can be dealt with by Microsoft. Of they find the OS inefficient, then they who make the OS can fix it. They aren't some lowly OEM. They are Microsoft.
P.s, the 630 is an insult to the 620

Master Chaos5

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Lol WP is dead. MS should stop ******* around and pay attention to their own OS. They don't care about their loyal customers. Well I am going to good ol' apple if that happens :)

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
While it makes business sense in theory, I don't think you can buy consumer trust. Fool us once with the N9, once more with WP7 and then dump WP8 and then watch apple and google pick up your consumers while you reboot over and over again (as well as destroy the Nokia name)

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I think it is a genius move by MS. They have no other chance of succeeding. They have to use a Trojan Horse. This phone is it.
- It keeps the hardware factories running, while WP has time to grow. Also, when they can buy more chips, memory and sensors, they can buy them cheaper, and thus make more income or prices their devices lower.
- It generates income, because Android = money for MS.
- Together with devices like the 520 they could serve the WHOLE bottom market with just these two devices. They can sell this Android phone cheaper than other OEMS because they have to pay less for Android, and thus offer more specs.This is crucial to hook all first-time smartphone users to their services. These first-time users are the people that MS wants to grab. They are billions of people for grabbing, they are not iPhone or Android fans yet.
- It serves to give the 'Lumia look' of phones more appearance in the open. Thus people who are 'Android positive' will spread good words about it, then people will associate the look of the phone with a positive experience and they might as well buy a phone that looks the same, but has WP the next time they upgrade their device.
- It hooks people to MS services, thus also hooks them to MS tablets and PC's.
- They will be devices in a lower price range, so an upgrade to a better more expensive phone will lure them to a WP.
- Not only the 'Lumia look' will make more appearance in the open, but also the Nokia by Microsoft brand.
- They will get more users for Onedrive, Office, Outlook etc. These departments are crucial to survive, to be able to generate income to pay for the development of WP.
- Once MS has achieved a milestone with WP they will obviously kill these Android phones.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I think it is a genius move by MS. They have no other chance of succeeding. They have to use a Trojan Horse. This phone is it.
- It keeps the hardware factories running, while WP has time to grow. Also, when they can buy more chips, memory and sensors, they can buy them cheaper, and thus make more income or prices their devices lower.
- It generates income, because Android = money for MS.
- Together with devices like the 520 they could serve the WHOLE bottom market with just these two devices. They can sell this Android phone cheaper than other OEMS because they have to pay less for Android, and thus offer more specs.This is crucial to hook all first-time smartphone users to their services. These first-time users are the people that MS wants to grab. They are billions of people for grabbing, they are not iPhone or Android fans yet.
- It serves to give the 'Lumia look' of phones more appearance in the open. Thus people who are 'Android positive' will spread good words about it, then people will associate the look of the phone with a positive experience and they might as well buy a phone that looks the same, but has WP the next time they upgrade their device.
- It hooks people to MS services, thus also hooks them to MS tablets and PC's.
- They will be devices in a lower price range, so an upgrade to a better more expensive phone will lure them to a WP.
- Not only the 'Lumia look' will make more appearance in the open, but also the Nokia by Microsoft brand.
- They will get more users for Onedrive, Office, Outlook etc. These departments are crucial to survive, to be able to generate income to pay for the development of WP.
- Once MS has achieved a milestone with WP they will obviously kill these Android phones.

I'm sure somebody presented it like this in Microsoft's headquarters. I don't just understand how somebody could believe that things work like this.

Randy Law

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft has lost the war against Google. The mobile phone and tablet space has been dominated by Google, and Windows Phone will never grow further once Microsoft-based hardware have Android installed. The desktop space will soon be gone to Google also, as Windows 8 and cloud services (Gmail, Google Docs, Chrome, etc.) continues to bring more users over to Google. Microsoft has only itself to blame, coming from such a dominant position of the past. Screwups like Steve Ballmer and Sinofsky (at least his vision of the Windows OS).

IceCrush

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I for one, will ditch windows phone if an Android nokia phone comes out.
How do i believe in something its makers don't believe in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss