Is Microsoft really late to the smartphone game

prestocaso

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Quick question for all my fellow windows phone users. I hear all the time that Microsoft is suffering in the mobile space because they were late to the game. But I remember there being windows phone's long before there were Android or IOS devices. Do we just collectively not count those versions of phones and OS's? Let me know what you think please.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There weren't Windows Phones, there were Windows Mobile devices, which was technology (along with BBOS, Symbian, and PalmOS) that were leapfrogged by iOS and Android once they developed a bit. It took Microsoft a while to come out with a new modern OS, and when they did, it was quite bare-boned. I think right now with 8.1, Windows Phone is where it needs to be to compete. Microsoft just really needs to get out there and market it before it is too late for them to compete.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Truth be told Microsoft usually starts most things or at the start... I think MS has a problem with continuing support and growth of products then other companies capitalize on those ideas/products.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Windows Mobile wasn't a smartphone as you know them. Windows Mobile didn't have a touch interface.

So, when the iPhone was presented Microsoft took the decision to drop the awful Windows Mobile and develop Windows Phone optimized for touch.

MS added touch support in WM 6.5 to gain some time while they were developing WP, but it was a disaster because the platform wasn't designed for touch. It's like trying to use the Windows desktop as a touch interface for a 8-inch tablet.

So, yes, Microsoft was 3-4 years late.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't think there ever was a question of if MSFT was late for WP, but understanding that how would they handle that in trying to promote why WP is better than the more seasoned iOS or Android.

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
If they came with wp8 in the place of wp7 and 8.1 in place of 8 it would have been much better.
Even though it was smooth and a unique UI wp7 was as bare bones as it come and it came at a time when other 2 competing oses were much developed.
And one and half years for a major os update after wp8 ?wow...
Honestly they have an OS which is really unique and with huge potential in their hands but they are making it too late for themselves at this rate.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If they came with wp8 in the place of wp7 and 8.1 in place of 8 it would have been much better.
Even though it was smooth and a unique UI wp7 was as bare bones as it come and it came at a time when other 2 competing oses were much developed.
And one and half years for a major os update after wp8 ?wow...
Honestly they have an OS which is really unique and with huge potential in their hands but they are making it too late for themselves at this rate.

And if iOS 7 was iOS 6 it would have been much better. And if BlackBerry 10.2.1 launched instead of BB10, it would have been much better. That's not much of an argument because of course that's the case. It's silly. And they have been working on Windows Phone 8.1 for a while I assume, though it hasn't gone un-updated. There have been a lot of nice updates added along the way.

Soyeb Mullick

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft is way too much slow. Android and ios market place is far better than Microsoft's wp. We don't have quality games or variables available. In April the dp released for 8.1. But still there's no official update. Will switch to android L after release. Bye Microsoft.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft is way too much slow. Android and ios market place is far better than Microsoft's wp. We don't have quality games or variables available. In April the dp released for 8.1. But still there's no official update. Will switch to android L after release. Bye Microsoft.

So you're saying Halo: Spartan Assault isn't a quality game? Modern Warfare 4 isn't a quality game? Gameloft has put out a plethora of quality games. The problem is people are looking at WP expecting to see iOS or Andriod. That's not going to happen. Are there awesome games on the other Os's that aren't on WP..absolutely, but don't say that there aren't ANY quality games on WP because there are. WP marketplace is still developing. Although the official release isn't out yet for everyone, the developer preview has been more than adequate. I hope you enjoy Andriod L. I'm sure it'll be packed with some pretty cool features. For me all in all WP8.1 works.

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
And if iOS 7 was iOS 6 it would have been much better. And if BlackBerry 10.2.1 launched instead of BB10, it would have been much better. That's not much of an argument because of course that's the case. It's silly. And they have been working on Windows Phone 8.1 for a while I assume, though it hasn't gone un-updated. There have been a lot of nice updates added along the way.

honestly I love wp and use it as my only phone.
But if u think MS is doing good with updates and speed compared to the 2 main rival platforms good for u.

Yeah and I think wp8 should have come in place of wp7. IOS is a different thing as it had already an established and faithful user base by time 7 or 6 released.and BB, yeah should have happened.their situation explains it.
Point is there is not much room for mistakes now and when u launch a platform u wont get the same luxury android and iOS got when it was launced to launch a barebones os.
Competition is cut throat and microsoft is really slow compared to competition

AG VK

Banned
Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
So you're saying Halo: Spartan Assault isn't a quality game? Modern Warfare 4 isn't a quality game? Gameloft has put out a plethora of quality games. The problem is people are looking at WP expecting to see iOS or Andriod. That's not going to happen. Are there awesome games on the other Os's that aren't on WP..absolutely, but don't say that there aren't ANY quality games on WP because there are. WP marketplace is still developing. Although the official release isn't out yet for everyone, the developer preview has been more than adequate. I hope you enjoy Andriod L. I'm sure it'll be packed with some pretty cool features. For me all in all WP8.1 works.

Personally, I don't care about those games in particular and neither does the larger smartphone customer base in general. What people do care about are your simple 'social' games like Candy Crush and Quizup - those, I really miss on WP.

AG VK

Banned
Jun 3, 2014
Visit site

Your analogy is also silly - of course iOS 6 & 7 were not as good as 8. That is to be expected. However, in MSFT's case they came out with a barebones, rushed, incomplete OS while there were already two tried and tested, feature-complete rival platforms. If MS had initially launched WP8.1 as it is today, it may have had a chance. Too little, too late...

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Judge for yourself. WP 8.1 was announced in April, 3 months later there's still no sign of it. Ask any Microsoft exec involved with WP and you'll get some nebulous answer "in the coming months". They are definitely late and too damn slow making this OS competitive. Plus there is zero marketing, ridiculous exclusivity agreements artificially restricting access and they have no showstopping feature of the OS to capture the imagination of consumers. And what do they do? Launch android handsets. Late is the least of their problems.
Sent from my Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Not sure what I will do. I have a 820 which I really like, my wife has a 925 which she loves, we also each have a 520 for backup. But 8.1 is still not released to 99% of the public. If this Android thing is real as slow as updates come it would be years before we see it. Will probably stand pat with what I have which works just fine. If it happens and we don't like it we can always change probably to Amazon as we each have Fires.

Sent from my KFTT using Mobile Nations mobile app

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what I will do. I have a 820 which I really like, my wife has a 925 which she loves, we also each have a 520 for backup. But 8.1 is still not released to 99% of the public. If this Android thing is real as slow as updates come it would be years before we see it. Will probably stand pat with what I have which works just fine. If it happens and we don't like it we can always change probably to Amazon as we each have Fires.

Sent from my KFTT using Mobile Nations mobile app

8.1 is just now being released to the public. And if you are that desperate for 8.1, just use the Developer Preview program. I can't believe the number of people that keep ******** about 8.1s supposed late release.

HAMEDACC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I really don't know it is late or not, but I surely know that MS is moving slowly on WP. I like WP and will keep my Lumia 720 but I think I have to have another smartphone, ios, too

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I can't believe the number of people that keep ******** about 8.1s supposed late release.
The problem is the rumour mill. You get threads with stuff like "I spoke to a cousin's best friend's dog's cleaner who rang a random MS phone number and the 1st day frontline helpdesk dude for the warehouse that ships keyboards said WP8.1 will definitely be released on "x" date, therefore it must be so".

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I have to say that to me it doesn't matter when you arrive, because if there is an awesome os and ppl want to try it, with proper marketing the numbers will speak for themselves. But I do think that Google seems to be more dedicated to android than Microsoft is to wp. (Nokia seemed to be more dedicated to wp than Microsoft. )

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon