I think this needs to be settled once and for all with a poll...should Microsoft go Android?

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I have a 820 and my wife a 925, we each have a 520 for backup. But we each have a Kindle Fire tablet so I guest this is not a big deal one way or the other.

Sent from my KFTT using Mobile Nations mobile app

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you are saying it would be fine for MS to create distinct Android and WP devices, and sell them both under the Lumia brand, yeah, then we'll have to agree to disagree.

I'd say one brand = one ecosystem.

Anything more complicated will confuse the hell out of consumers, like Windows RT did.

No, I wasn't saying that it would be ok for Microsoft to make Windows Phones and Android phones under a Lumia brand. I'm saying that Microsoft should consolidate RT and Windows phone and make those under a Lumia brand. I'm "no" to Android in general.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
ajst222,

You should add the "Yes, both" option to the poll.

I was thinking about that, but I then thought it didn't make a whole lot of sense. If it was yes to both, (which would mean Microsoft would start making Android devices), then why would they need Android apps in the Windows Store? If Microsoft were to go Android, that would more or less mean that they are giving up on their own platform (If they plan on selling both Android and Windows Phones, that would just be stupid). That's how I see it, at least.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
If they do say good bye to the entire idea of Windows Phone. They've already changed a lot of things that I loved about WP7, totally removed them from WP8.1. I'm sticking with it to see what happens, but if they go android, I'll probably head to iPhone, I think iPhone is a better environment than Android. It's kinda scary exciting...

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Well if blackberry embracing android is causing bb to gain an exponential share of the smartphone market, then maybe Microsoft should follow suit. (Translation: I think they need to stick to wp for now. )

werner6769

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I am learning windows phone development and love the platform. Not sure what Microsoft is thinking if this is true. There is already too many android phones out there. The only way this could be any good is to showcase the live tile interface on top of android. Then hope people will like it so much they will go for the real thing. I must say that is how I made the switch. With a windows phone launcher on android. But that is a long shot. If the windows android doesn't come with google play or some other large app store, why would consumers who want the app numbers bother? If it does, you are encouraging everyone to get stuck into the android ecosystem. Not good. Why don't they put more time and money into advertising windows phone?

Sent from my HUAWEI H883G using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jeremy D S

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Should Microsoft make a phone with the Google Play Store installed?
Should Ford sell vehicles equipped with GM OnStar?
Should Pepsi license the Coke formula and bottle it? (under the name Coke by Pepsi?)

I don't think anyone can say for certain, but my most likely the answer is NO.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking about that, but I then thought it didn't make a whole lot of sense. If it was yes to both, (which would mean Microsoft would start making Android devices), then why would they need Android apps in the Windows Store? If Microsoft were to go Android, that would more or less mean that they are giving up on their own platform (If they plan on selling both Android and Windows Phones, that would just be stupid). That's how I see it, at least.

Why not just allow for all combinations of answers, and not just those you think make sense? Even if you are right, wouldn't it be better to allow for all answers, so we can an get a more accurate view of what the community thinks? Not saying you must. It's your poll so it's your choice of course. Just an idea.

BTW:
I described a thought experiment showing how MS building Android devices could help WP. If you haven't read it, you might find it interesting (thread). Note that I created this thread before the Nokia X was released. The first few responses to my post are negative, because people couldn't' imagine Nokia would actually release the then rumoured Nokia X smartphone.

I don't know. It might change you mind about MS building Android devices...

badr0b0t

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
No. You just need to buy a different phone running android. There's plenty out there. I too made a mistake of getting my Lumia 1520. WP OS is still very much in infancy stage up to this point. Anyway, I am still keeping my HTC One X (running an outdated Jelly Bean OS) for other stuffs that WP can't do.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well if blackberry embracing android is causing bb to gain an exponential share of the smartphone market, then maybe Microsoft should follow suit. (Translation: I think they need to stick to wp for now. )

THANK YOU! Android apps are working so well for BlackBerry aren't they? With BB10 being allowed to run Android apps, all the developers are absolutely flocking to put their apps in BlackBerry World! No. Instead, BlackBerry partnered with Amazon for apps, and it's far too late for that. The Windows Store has made a lot of progress and is looking to be in good shape right. Don't throw all that native development away. What it would do is make native developers more likely to stop with their development thinking that Android ports will be coming, and they never will. That's how I see it. Even if Android apps do become popular on Windows Phone, native apps are still better

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
. The Windows Store has made a lot of progress and is looking to be in good shape right. Don't throw all that native development away. What it would do is make native developers more likely to stop with their development thinking that Android ports will be coming, and they never will.

That is just one big huge assumption however. You don't know how MS will handle Android app submissions. There are a million rules and restrictions MS could put in place, to keep native apps interesting.

What if MS said this:

If you've only got an Android app in their store, they take a 50% cut of your revenue.

If you've got the Google Play version and a functionally similar WP app in the store, then they take a 20% cut.

If you've got the Google Play version and a WP app in the store, and the WP app has a higher user rating, then the dev takes home all the revenue.

This would instantly change the dynamic! You and many others are just jumping to conclusions. It could be as terrible an idea as you say, but it could also be completely different, depending on what MS does...

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
never android,maybe microsoft would rather go ios given the similiar design(modern/metro)
if they go android and ditch wp completely im never buying a single MS product again and will go to a full apple ecosystem with a few bits of linux(not android) and BB10 here and there

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
In my case i'd be eager to use a few Android apps. In particular a keyboard and a few apps i absolutely need.
- Pleco
- Hanping
- K9 for mail if it'll be issued
- TouchPal X keyboard.
- Some proper file manager
- Docs to go
- A bunch of widgets (those tiles are limited and honestly boring + they don't fix 3 rows but just two. They look ugly on a 1520.

The OS, i can live with as is. It's much smoother than Android (for now).

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
That is just one big huge assumption however. You don't know how MS will handle Android app submissions. There are a million rules and restrictions MS could put in place, to keep native apps interesting.

What if MS said this:

If you've only got an Android app in their store, they take a 50% cut of your revenue.

If you've got the Google Play version and a functionally similar WP app in the store, then they take a 20% cut.

If you've got the Google Play version and a WP app in the store, and the WP app has a higher user rating, then the dev takes home all the revenue.

This would instantly change the dynamic! You and many others are just jumping to conclusions. It could be as terrible an idea as you say, but it could also be completely different, depending on what MS does...

this is very reassuring!! thanks!! even if its implemented or no,i guess WP will move forward well!!

anon(5344611)

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
If Microsoft decides to start accepting Android apps in the Stores, what'd be the incentive for developing Windows / Windows Phone apps, as opposed to developing for Android, which would have a ridiculous amount of marketshare (because it'd include Windows / Windows Phone as well)? I guess developers would just keep developing for Android, submit it to the Stores, and call it a day.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
There's been a lot of discussion about this topic, and I think for good reason because it determines the future of where the company wants to go with Windows Phone and possibly even more.

1 Do you think Microsoft should make Lumia smartphones running Android, and

2 do you think Microsoft should allow Android apps in the Windows Store?

1 yes! I want Nokia hardware with all the kickin applications!

2 that's a coffin waiting for a body, but since wp isn't growing, it doesn't matter

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss