View Poll Results: Should Microsoft go Android?

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, with Lumia phones running Android

14 9.33%
  • Yes, just Android apps, but no Android Lumia Phones

27 18.00%
  • No, neither

109 72.67%
07-12-2014 07:04 PM
58 123
tools
    I think it should be more nuanced and better directed than it is today.

For example, Nokia X or other AOSP phones shouldn't be anywhere near the Lumia's key markets, i.e. U.S, India, Brazil, UK, Germany, etc. Unfortunately, Microsoft/Nokia released the X-series in some of those markets, only serving to confuse the market with two similarly priced and spec'd phones, but with the X being crappier (performance wise). This shouldn't have happened.

That said, the value of an AOSP phone can't be understated. The idea of using a widely used platform to push Microsoft services and software is a good idea, but this needs to be done in a directed manner.

For example, Microsoft could create a range of AOSP phones, from low-end to high-end, and exclusively release them in China, no where else. Chinese companies are heavy users of AOSP, each offering their own line of services, skins, designs, etc. Microsoft could take AOSP and create its own version as both a full device offering as well as "OS" that could be taken by other OEMs. This would make sense for China precisely because that's how the Chinese market operates.

However, there shouldn't be any Nokia X or AOSP device in India, or Vietnam, etc.
    07-10-2014 10:25 PM
    I like squares and rectangles. Microsoft and Google need to work together on a win/win situation with apps, licensing fees, and whatever. Microsoft needs to stop scroogling itself over and work productively with Google. WP is growing at a snail's pace, but sure and steadily. There are many Samsung salesmen in the world who want to crap their nasty plastic turds in every last discussion and every tech article they can... fine. I vote for tiles.
    the thing is samsung isnt necessarily the enemy,neither is apple
    google is the enemy,the spying company with its dominating os with loads of fragmentation and openness(which is both good and bad) and lacks the quality of hardware and design compared to ios,wp and even bb10 (exception is htcs flagships,they are gorgeous)
    microsoft made a youtube app, a great youtube app for windows phones,stupid google asked them to remove it touting weird reasons and stuff,no wonder microsoft went all bitter with the scroogle program and went as far as to make the nokia x series to beat google at its own game
    if they continue like this and stop making androids and concentrate on increasing wp marketshare and features,we consumers will have the ultimate os at our hands-great battery,hardware,apps,software,camera and other features secure,yet not over secure like ios or too open like android
    angusdegraosta likes this.
    07-11-2014 02:55 AM
    WP is a great OS. Let's hope for the best.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    07-11-2014 04:01 AM
    thats right dude!!!!!!
    Very well said!
    07-11-2014 06:08 AM
    I find it funny, that some people on this forum last year complained and cried over the notification center. Saying it will making WP like android. But over a year later they have no problems with Microsoft bring Android apps to WP nor making a Android Lumia.
    07-11-2014 06:16 AM
    I find it funny, that some people on this forum last year complained and cried over the notification center. Saying it will making WP like android. But over a year later they have no problems with Microsoft bring Android apps to WP nor making a Android Lumia.
    The notification centre and android lumias or running apps on windows phone are completely different things. The notification centre whether you like it or not was needed to reach feature parity. I myself use it extensively on a day to day basis. Where as Android apps or Android Lumias do not fit into the ecosystem, for various reason. I wont go into much detail as it would result in an insanely long post.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    07-11-2014 01:15 PM
    The notification centre and android lumias or running apps on windows phone are completely different things. The notification centre whether you like it or not was needed to reach feature parity. I myself use it extensively on a day to day basis. Where as Android apps or Android Lumias do not fit into the ecosystem, for various reason. I wont go into much detail as it would result in an insanely long post.
    I agree.
    07-12-2014 03:01 AM
    07-12-2014 07:04 PM
58 123