I think this needs to be settled once and for all with a poll...should Microsoft go Android?

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There's been a lot of discussion about this topic, and I think for good reason because it determines the future of where the company wants to go with Windows Phone and possibly even more. Do you think Microsoft should make Lumia smartphones running Android, and do you think Microsoft should allow Android apps in the Windows Store?

anon(8921886)

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Absolutely not. Google has Android, Apple IOS and Microsoft has windows phone.

I see allowing Android apps as the end of WP. It is a by by modern UI!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Do you think Microsoft should make Lumia smartphones running Android, and do you think Microsoft should allow Android apps in the Windows Store?

I have nothing against MS making AOSP phones, even high end ones. I explained elsewhere why I think it has the potential to be an evil-genius type of plan and could end up being good for WP.

Branding such devices with the Lumia name seems stupid to me however. IMHO that is asking for the same confusion Windows RT caused (a Windows device that can't run Windows software) all over again.

What I feel is very lacking in our discussion of Android apps on WP is nuance!

Whether that is good or bad depends on many factors, primarily on whether companies still have an incentive to develop 'native' WP apps. Until we know the policies MS introduces along with that capability, judging it seems premature to me.

Last edited:

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have nothing against MS making AOSP phones, even high end ones. I explained elsewhere why I think it has the potential to be an evil-genius type of plan and could end up being good for WP.

Branding such devices with the Lumia name seems stupid to me however. That is asking for the same confusion Windows RT caused (a Windows device that can't run Windows software) all over again.

I think with the branding it's fine as long as they consolidate RT and Windows Phone into one, and brand all of their devices running that as "Lumia", whereas the Surface line will be for devices running full Windows 8 (the powerhouse devices), but this is a whole other argument ;) haha

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I think with the branding it's fine as long as they consolidate RT and Windows Phone into one, and brand all of their devices running that as "Lumia"

You make a good point!
If every last Lumia device gains the ability to run both universal apps and Android apps, then I'd agree. If not, then I'd disagree.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Don't know. I guest the smart answer would be if in the whole scope of things it ends up making WP 8 more popular and a bigger success then sure. Trouble is will that happen. I like having a Windows phone it does everything I want a smartphone to do. And it's good different if you know what I mean. My two tablets are Android (Kindle Fires) so I use Android anyway but not Google Android. If it happens and it works great. But what if it Don't.

Sent from my KFTT using Mobile Nations mobile app

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You make a good point!

If every last Lumia device gains the ability to run both universal apps and Android apps, then I'd agree. If not, then I'd disagree.

As far as one app store for the both of them, yes. That needs to happen Android apps, no ;) haha that's where we differ

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft can add support for Android apps on Windows Phone.
Or Microsoft can add support for Winrt (Windows Apps) to Nokia X.
There aren't many differences in the products, time with tell what is the best technical solution.
So, if rumors are true, Microsoft arrived to the conviction that they need the Android apps to succeed in Mobile, the objective is clear, they only have to decide the best way to do it.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I really don't feel that Microsoft needs to do anything with Android. Windows Phone is heading in the right direction, after 8.1 is stable and more apps become universal apps, Windows Phone is near gold. I even have friends that used to bag on me for having a Windows Phone begin buying Windows Phones or at least looking to them for their next upgrade.

Microsoft is going in the right direction, to start changing the roadmap is unnecessary in my opinion.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I really don't feel that Microsoft needs to do anything with Android. Windows Phone is heading in the right direction, after 8.1 is stable and more apps become universal apps, Windows Phone is near gold. I even have friends that used to bag on me for having a Windows Phone begin buying Windows Phones or at least looking to them for their next upgrade.

Microsoft is going in the right direction, to start changing the roadmap is unnecessary in my opinion.

Very well said!

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
My answer is yes and no.

Wither they make a Lumina phone or not is irrelevant to me,unless it has better specs than what is offered at the same time as the WP version.

As to running some type of VM on WP to run Android, I think that it will be doomed for failure and cause more trouble and complaining than it's worth. I'm sure some folks will like it but with the limitations that are inherent with doing this,I honestly don't think it will work very good.

I have suggested it before,and will again...a true dual boot is the best solution for everyone

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
As far as one app store for the both of them, yes. That needs to happen Android apps, no ;) haha that's where we differ

If you are saying it would be fine for MS to create distinct Android and WP devices, and sell them both under the Lumia brand, yeah, then we'll have to agree to disagree.

I'd say one brand = one ecosystem.

Anything more complicated will confuse the hell out of consumers, like Windows RT did.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Android apps, no ;) haha that's where we differ

Don't put words in my mouth ;-)

I didn't say I was pro Android apps on WP.

My official opinion is that we don't have anywhere close to enough information, technical and policy wise, to decide how well this would work or even guess what the consequences would be.

We are all basing our opinions on too many assumptions, so judging whether this is good or bad seems premature.

Torch4x4

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
BlueStacks for WP, or an Android Hub to run the apps will be great, unfortunately something like that will reduce the android developers to move or create their apps for WP for a moment, but the apps availability will result in more users... once you get the users your platform is important to get the native apps and developers...
would be great if Microsoft develops tools to migrate android apps to the WP app store easily.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
No.

When it was still Nokia, it made sense but Microsoft, no not at all.

They should focus more on the development of Windows Phone rather than joining the Android crew. Let's be real, Windows Phone still has a lot of catching up to do and if Microsoft decides to make an Android device, the focus will split and this will mean they succumbed to Google's pressure.

Windows Phone is solid but I believe that with some decisions they're doing like carrier exclusives, random releases and sub par marketing, market share wouldn't move. When the 920 was announced it generated enough buzz but was killed because of poor marketing. They need to focus on the apps AND the hardware since Nokia's build quality is top notch and better than most phones in the market.

Apps is what's straying people away from Windows Phone and that is where they should focus their efforts on. I don't believe in the "app gap" some users are saying but I believe in the lack of support from devs in the platform. They have apps available for Windows Phone but support is devastating. Some apps aren't updated on a timely manner and some devs will only update their apps when users are bombarding them with an update. They are able but are not willing and Microsoft, you lack on that department. When I compare my Lumia 920 to my Tab Pro 8.4, I see the huge difference in updates. Yes, Market Share plays a huge part in an app's development but this is where you try to think outside the box and give the developers proper treatment even if it is out of your way. A short term sacrifice for a long term goal would hurt in the beginning but will be fruitful in the end.

Push the boundaries, pull the trigger, invest more and you'll see Windows Phone competing with iOS and Android healthily in the next couple of years. We should remember that when the iPhone was released it wasn't as successful as it is now but Apple didn't give up and look where they are now. We're still here waiting for your next move. I'm always here unless you show weakness and decide to pay users dust.

​C'mon Microsoft! Stick with Windows Phone! We don't need Android!

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Thing is, WP's days are numbered as an OS. Once RT9 replaces WP I doubt WP will be retained on low end MS phones so it's end of life for WP. For low end Lumias, Android would be a handy plan. Just hope they don't try to mix the two OSs and that they don't leap before Threshold is out.

Mavee Shah

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site

Almost right

angusdegraosta

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
This Android thing is a non-issue; the two companies learning to get along is a good thing. WP's days aren't numbered though. It's just a slow but steady grower that's bound to go through changes like any technology.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
There's been a lot of discussion about this topic, and I think for good reason because it determines the future of where the company wants to go with Windows Phone and possibly even more. Do you think Microsoft should make Lumia smartphones running Android, and do you think Microsoft should allow Android apps in the Windows Store?

ajst222,

You should add the "Yes, both" option to the poll.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05