I think this needs to be settled once and for all with a poll...should Microsoft go Android?

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I will keep this short and sweet ...... no ..... they just need to pull their finger out and get things done quicker and throw more weight behind it ..... time from announcement to release is still slow .....,. updates are slow ..... app updates are behind and slow and when rumours like this start up if Microsoft isn't doing it they should come out and say so to show users they are 110% windows phone

if I wanted android apps and phone I would have bought one , I like windows phone , it has now got more oems on board and has made good progress , apps need to be of the same standard as other o/s counter parts too

Phone Guy 4567

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
The fact that there's even discussion of MS putting out an Android Lumia, and MS continuing the Nokia X line to me signals MS acknowledging that WP is a failure. Sure there have been App gains recently but once the Apps come they get refreshed much more slowly then the Android or iOS counterparts, or worse they don't get updated and get discontinued.

angusdegraosta

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I like squares and rectangles. Microsoft and Google need to work together on a win/win situation with apps, licensing fees, and whatever. Microsoft needs to stop scroogling itself over and work productively with Google. WP is growing at a snail's pace, but sure and steadily. There are many Samsung salesmen in the world who want to crap their nasty plastic turds in every last discussion and every tech article they can... fine. I vote for tiles.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I think Microsoft should go ballz out and crush Google directly! Their OS is a joke and their tablets are even worse.

The Microsoft people at the top need to tell their team they want 20% market share in a year and then get the hell out of the way and let the people that know what needs to be done do it.

Bill Gates knew how to crush competition and was damn good at it.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Will repeat what I said in a another thread about this, a lot of good this route did for blackberry didn't it?
Look at the charts! the YoY growth is through the roof for blackberry. /s.

angusdegraosta

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft can add support for Android apps on Windows Phone.
Or Microsoft can add support for Winrt (Windows Apps) to Nokia X.
There aren't many differences in the products, time with tell what is the best technical solution.
So, if rumors are true, Microsoft arrived to the conviction that they need the Android apps to succeed in Mobile, the objective is clear, they only have to decide the best way to do it.

This sounds promising within reason. Some forms of cooperation can be moneymakers.

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
From reading just about every article I could on this subject and listening to twit windows weekly; this would end badly either way. If they put android apps on windows phone no developer will waste time developing for windows phone. If they make a kick *** android phone all of their board members will ask why they are even bothering to make windows phone. I agree with other posts in here. They need to put their money where their mouth is and speed up development for windows phone. For the features we are getting the pace is entirely too slow. It's not going to cut it.

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
There is something skewed about a poll when you have two 'yes' choices and just one 'no' choice. I know this wasn't done intentionally and it very well could have been at the request of another member, but since it is not at all scientific, it is of little matter.

Because of the source of this rumor, it is possible Microsoft has been trying to test Android apps on WP. I don't like the idea and no amount of policy ifs, ands, or buts would lessen the confusion of the Microsoft ecosystem if this happens. (Let alone my confusion now as I am in middle of development of my third WP app)

My hope is that Microsoft really reads these forums and makes an adjustment in their plans to focus on WP instead of how to ride coat tails of Android.

Just my 2 cents.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I think it should be more nuanced and better directed than it is today.

For example, Nokia X or other AOSP phones shouldn't be anywhere near the Lumia's key markets, i.e. U.S, India, Brazil, UK, Germany, etc. Unfortunately, Microsoft/Nokia released the X-series in some of those markets, only serving to confuse the market with two similarly priced and spec'd phones, but with the X being crappier (performance wise). This shouldn't have happened.

That said, the value of an AOSP phone can't be understated. The idea of using a widely used platform to push Microsoft services and software is a good idea, but this needs to be done in a directed manner.

For example, Microsoft could create a range of AOSP phones, from low-end to high-end, and exclusively release them in China, no where else. Chinese companies are heavy users of AOSP, each offering their own line of services, skins, designs, etc. Microsoft could take AOSP and create its own version as both a full device offering as well as "OS" that could be taken by other OEMs. This would make sense for China precisely because that's how the Chinese market operates.

However, there shouldn't be any Nokia X or AOSP device in India, or Vietnam, etc.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I like squares and rectangles. Microsoft and Google need to work together on a win/win situation with apps, licensing fees, and whatever. Microsoft needs to stop scroogling itself over and work productively with Google. WP is growing at a snail's pace, but sure and steadily. There are many Samsung salesmen in the world who want to crap their nasty plastic turds in every last discussion and every tech article they can... fine. I vote for tiles.

the thing is samsung isnt necessarily the enemy,neither is apple
google is the enemy,the spying company with its dominating os with loads of fragmentation and openness(which is both good and bad) and lacks the quality of hardware and design compared to ios,wp and even bb10 (exception is htcs flagships,they are gorgeous)
microsoft made a youtube app, a great youtube app for windows phones,stupid google asked them to remove it touting weird reasons and stuff,no wonder microsoft went all bitter with the scroogle program and went as far as to make the nokia x series to beat google at its own game
if they continue like this and stop making androids and concentrate on increasing wp marketshare and features,we consumers will have the ultimate os at our hands-great battery,hardware,apps,software,camera and other features secure,yet not over secure like ios or too open like android

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I find it funny, that some people on this forum last year complained and cried over the notification center. Saying it will making WP like android. But over a year later they have no problems with Microsoft bring Android apps to WP nor making a Android Lumia.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I find it funny, that some people on this forum last year complained and cried over the notification center. Saying it will making WP like android. But over a year later they have no problems with Microsoft bring Android apps to WP nor making a Android Lumia.

The notification centre and android lumias or running apps on windows phone are completely different things. The notification centre whether you like it or not was needed to reach feature parity. I myself use it extensively on a day to day basis. Where as Android apps or Android Lumias do not fit into the ecosystem, for various reason. I wont go into much detail as it would result in an insanely long post.

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
The notification centre and android lumias or running apps on windows phone are completely different things. The notification centre whether you like it or not was needed to reach feature parity. I myself use it extensively on a day to day basis. Where as Android apps or Android Lumias do not fit into the ecosystem, for various reason. I wont go into much detail as it would result in an insanely long post.

I agree.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes