After four long and wonderful years, I may be saying bye to Windows Phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Why? I guess that's the million dollar question. The answer? Android VM... Putting Android apps on Windows Phone is the biggest nail in the coffin we could plausibly fathom. Firstly, the Android apps barely run to a passable degree on Android phones, how well do you expect them to run on a VM?.
Assuming all these rumours are true...
I expect Android apps NOT to run perceivably WORSE than they do on Android devices using the same hardware.

I agree with your assessment of the potential threats, but don't you think MS are also aware of them? Don't you think we should maybe hold out to see how MS addresses those threats before deciding?

If WP becomes, like BB, nothing more than an alternative platform on which to run android apps, I'd say you have a point. I'm not convinced that is MS' vision of WP's future.

Torch4x4

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
MarCou .- try this in your lovely android that is lightyear ahead:
go to this website Breaking Bad Tour - Wikitravel
Then check the address of Walter White house, is not highlighted right? not even in iOS, or in a PC browser, but is highlighted on WP 8.1 and you can just navigate to that address on WP but not in others, how is possible that a basic feature is not available on android?
for me highlighted dates and address and their integration with the OS and Cortana works better and is not antique like you said...

itzkavin

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm just wondering is it a ploy by a competitor to destroy the image of WP? MS is not a nut to take such a decision which they very well know will have a severe backlash from the ardent WP community!

But hold on, if it was all rumor, and seeing so much negative sentiments, why is not MS or even Belfiore or any other from MS for that matter, come out in open and tell us not to worry about it?

Confused.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm just wondering is it a ploy by a competitor to destroy the image of WP? MS is not a nut to take such a decision which they very well know will have a severe backlash from the ardent WP community!

But hold on, if it was all rumor, and seeing so much negative sentiments, why is not MS or even Belfiore or any other from MS for that matter, come out in open and tell us not to worry about it?

Confused.

After reading Nadella's long winded memo,I am in full agreement with you.

The future may seem bright to some here with all of these changes,but,to be honest looking at the direction he is leading Microsoft towards,is not somewhere I want to go. It hints too much of a Orwellian society to me as his ultimate goal of control with Microsoft's servers controlling our daily lives.

This might be acceptable considering his background,but to me is very frightening,since most Windows fanboyism will accept this as innovation instead of what it truly is.

uopjo6

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
You're basing your decision on a rumour. That's all this is- a rumour. You could wait till this is conformed one way or another.

Similar situation here. around 3.5yrs, since WP7 days. Love the OS, love my 920. But things are really just too slow. Like you mentioned, it's all rumors, and waits, and waits, and more waiting.

I've stuck with WP8 because I think it's a beautiful OS and it actually has all the apps I need, but updates are so slow, simple apps are crippled, I can't even send files on Skype in 2014, and what others are bringing to the table in a year is very temping.
It's taking Nokia almost 2 years to go WP8 to WP8.1.

I just don't have the patience like all you loyal WP users.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I had Windows Phone a day before it was officially released here in the U.S. with the HD7 and have been an avid user ever since. From years posting on XDA, defending it's lack of copy and paste to a plethora of other features to posting here quite regularly for some years, I have been fully supportive of it from the start. That said, I may be leaving now...

Why? I guess that's the million dollar question. The answer? Android VM... Putting Android apps on Windows Phone is the biggest nail in the coffin we could plausibly fathom. Firstly, the Android apps barely run to a passable degree on Android phones, how well do you expect them to run on a VM? Second, UI uniformity has been a large part of what has kept me intact all these years. I don't want to see all these half-baked layered hamburger menus where Metro should be! It will eliminate the aesthetic quality of the software which is another massive draw to Windows. Finally, if you could design a Windows Phone app or design an app that works for Android and plays nice enough on Windows Phone, what are you going to do? As a developer, the best option is to go for the Android app. Just look at the WPCentral app for Android as opposed to Windows Phone. Are you really willing to settle to that degree to fill some arbitrary and largely unimportant app gap? We won't be getting quality apps any more.

For those reasons, to my dismay, I will likely be picking up the new iPhone on release. It doesn't bring me any degree of pleasure to announce this but I have to have a platform that has some degree of faith in itself. Microsoft... Well, that's gone.

while i agree with microsoft not using anything android on their devices,i must also mention,WP will run android apps better than android because of lower resource usage than android,biggest example is BB10 which runs most non-google android apps better than its similiar android counterparts and even the dual core z10 runs better than most quad core androids same with wp
though going ahead with this decision has its own pros and cons,i feel they should make more native apps instead of implementing an android app sideloading system

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Similar situation here. around 3.5yrs, since WP7 days. Love the OS, love my 920. But things are really just too slow. Like you mentioned, it's all rumors, and waits, and waits, and more waiting.

I've stuck with WP8 because I think it's a beautiful OS and it actually has all the apps I need, but updates are so slow, simple apps are crippled, I can't even send files on Skype in 2014, and what others are bringing to the table in a year is very temping.
It's taking Nokia almost 2 years to go WP8 to WP8.1.

I just don't have the patience like all you loyal WP users.

We need to get it through our heads, its ok to take a break from WP. Don't feel bad, just come back when iOS or Android gets on your last nerve.

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
You're not the only one - WP apostasy levels are pretty high at the moment although you're the first person I hear who's leaving based on a rumour.

I'm planning on ditching my 820 for a Moto G 4G myself, and I know other people from work planning to do the same thing.

The only problem is because WP is really fluid and has such an intuitive UI that it feels such a shame to leave this.
But hey, can't have it all, can we?

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Some of you guys information is way off base. A lot of Android apps are actually written in native code for the hardware.

Davlik is gone btw.

Apps ran in a vm like Blackberry are awful, I doubt Microsoft does this.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
"Rumors" or rather "Rumor" in a singular sense is a fancy term for gossip, to base any rationale decision on gossip is just mental and ludicrous. Jumping platforms based on these is like selling your business because you heard a car might drive into your office and render the lease nontransferable without heavy financial impingement lol.

Best wait until its officially confirmed then make your choice, if your bored there is no need to justify it with a protracted and emotional essay then wait in a frenzied state for the never arriving torches + pitchforks lol. We all use our phones differently and if WP no longer fits your needs then it no longer fits your needs - simple as that. Furthermore no one is making you install apps by force, you do that on your volition :grin:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786