07-10-2014 10:35 AM
32 12
tools
    I had Windows Phone a day before it was officially released here in the U.S. with the HD7 and have been an avid user ever since. From years posting on XDA, defending it's lack of copy and paste to a plethora of other features to posting here quite regularly for some years, I have been fully supportive of it from the start. That said, I may be leaving now...

Why? I guess that's the million dollar question. The answer? Android VM... Putting Android apps on Windows Phone is the biggest nail in the coffin we could plausibly fathom. Firstly, the Android apps barely run to a passable degree on Android phones, how well do you expect them to run on a VM? Second, UI uniformity has been a large part of what has kept me intact all these years. I don't want to see all these half-baked layered hamburger menus where Metro should be! It will eliminate the aesthetic quality of the software which is another massive draw to Windows. Finally, if you could design a Windows Phone app or design an app that works for Android and plays nice enough on Windows Phone, what are you going to do? As a developer, the best option is to go for the Android app. Just look at the WPCentral app for Android as opposed to Windows Phone. Are you really willing to settle to that degree to fill some arbitrary and largely unimportant app gap? We won't be getting quality apps any more.

For those reasons, to my dismay, I will likely be picking up the new iPhone on release. It doesn't bring me any degree of pleasure to announce this but I have to have a platform that has some degree of faith in itself. Microsoft... Well, that's gone.
    07-09-2014 12:13 PM
    I had Windows Phone a day before it was officially released here in the U.S. with the HD7 and have been an avid user ever since. From years posting on XDA, defending it's lack of copy and paste to a plethora of other features to posting here quite regularly for some years, I have been fully supportive of it from the start. That said, I may be leaving now...

Why? I guess that's the million dollar question. The answer? Android VM... Putting Android apps on Windows Phone is the biggest nail in the coffin we could plausibly fathom. Firstly, the Android apps barely run to a passable degree on Android phones, how well do you expect them to run on a VM? Second, UI uniformity has been a large part of what has kept me intact all these years. I don't want to see all these half-baked layered hamburger menus where Metro should be! It will eliminate the aesthetic quality of the software which is another massive draw to Windows. Finally, if you could design a Windows Phone app or design an app that works for Android and plays nice enough on Windows Phone, what are you going to do? As a developer, the best option is to go for the Android app. Just look at the WPCentral app for Android as opposed to Windows Phone. Are you really willing to settle to that degree to fill some arbitrary and largely unimportant app gap? We won't be getting quality apps any more.

For those reasons, to my dismay, I will likely be picking up the new iPhone on release. It doesn't bring me any degree of pleasure to announce this but I have to have a platform that has some degree of faith in itself. Microsoft... Well, that's gone.
    I suggest you to stay calm till official announcement on that from MS...if it's really happening am too going but waiting for official announcement
    ShreyansShah likes this.
    07-09-2014 12:17 PM
    Android apps run in a VM on Android phones, that's part of the problem.
    a5cent likes this.
    07-09-2014 12:18 PM
    Bye Felicia
    07-09-2014 12:20 PM
    You're basing your decision on a rumour. That's all this is- a rumour. You could wait till this is conformed one way or another.
    07-09-2014 12:25 PM
    Lol, would be funny if you leave WP only to realize that this was just a rumor.
    07-09-2014 12:29 PM
    Totally agree with mpt15 ^ ... A lot of rumors right now. What's the worst that could happen by waiting a bit longer. Rumors could be verified and if you don't like the direction WP is heading .... the price of say a new iPhone (or something else) would drop.

That's what I'm doing ๐Ÿ˜Ž.

Though will say I'm starting to get better battery life now and really enjoying 8.1 and it's features.

Edit: And it's still a totally better looking OS than the others out there.... And just as smooth as IOS.
    Guytronic and Giri6 like this.
    07-09-2014 12:37 PM
    Totally agree with mpt15 ^ ... A lot of rumors right now. What's the worst that could happen by waiting a bit longer. Rumors could be verified and if you don't like the direction WP is heading .... the price of say a new iPhone (or something else) would drop.

That's what I'm doing ๐Ÿ˜Ž.

Though will say I'm starting to get better battery life now and really enjoying 8.1 and it's features.

Edit: And it's still a totally better looking OS than the others out there.... And just as smooth as IOS.
    Lumia 1520 resell value drops. All phones aside from iPhones seem to.
    07-09-2014 12:53 PM
    After four long and wonderful years, I may be saying bye to Windows Phone.
    I think if someone finds cause to report that they are finally giving in for any reason then they are looking for any reason to switch out of boredom.

Why justify?
    Survival seems easy to me ... either hang on, go dual OS or take a rest all together.
    Us phone junkies worry and torture ourselves way too much.

If I wasn't constantly in this forum I would have no reason to care about pushing Android to WP.
    Actually I just step over these rumors and use my devices.

Ah well...
    Take care.
    07-09-2014 01:56 PM
    I'll be staying with WP even if the rumour is true. I would like to see how it pans out.

MS will suprise us all with what they have in store. That's why I switched to the platform when WP7 arrived. It's an interesting and constantly evolving ecosystem.
    If I wanted the same thing sold to me over and over again and be told it's 'innovative', I would be using one of other 2 alternatives...

No thanks... I'm here for the duration, whatever happens....
    07-09-2014 02:09 PM
    My refurbished L920 with 8.1 DP does what I want a smartphone to do better than the alternatives that I can afford, which is why I got it when I finally reached the point where it made financial sense to switch from my old feature phone last spring. When that stops being true, I'll replace it with whatever fits that criteria at the time. I'm baffled why so many people in these forums make emotional announcements about what they're going to get based on what Microsoft will, or worse, might do in the future. Whatever happened to rationally evaluating features vs. desires?

Seriously, OP, you're threatening to switch platforms because of a rumor that Microsoft might do something eventually that you think might be a bad thing for the platform at some undetermined time after that. Wouldn't it make more sense to just compare the alternatives when you're ready to get a new phone and go with what's best for you then?
    07-09-2014 02:45 PM
    I did it already. I chose to change platform. And yes. To Android. And I will accept your hate for me and the fact that you wanna burn me alive. And I have to confess something more. I even have started to recommend Android to my friends. I usually have told them pros and cons from both platforms. But can't anymore cos I would have to lie.

It isn't million dollar question why. I bought my first tablet few weeks ago, nexus 7. After 10 days I walked back and bought nexus 5. And I hated that phone first few days. It was nothing but setting it up. I thought I pushed my hands to bull...

But when I started to get it more and more usable and understand its logic, I started to see its pros. It just is a lightyear ahead WP. Yes, I loved my L920 and I still do. But it just seems like antique now. And it's not the matter of specs. It is matter of apps and usability of apps.

Everything works just like Swiss made watch. I like to watch movies from Netflix while doing my cardio on stationary bike, and I do it at least four times a week. At first time my eyes almost popped out. The quality of picture was something unseen before (Netflix reduces picture quality at WP). And movie started rolling immediately. And I could change screen brightness while looking at movie. Don't need to stop Netflix go to settings... And then waiting to movie start again and looking those rolling dots.

I also can shoot the video while writing SMS and send it right away via SMS. No need to go to cam, shoot the video, go back to SMS... Oh wait, I forgot to set lower quality, its too big...

Everything I have used works just better and smoother. Sports tracker, bank apps, you just name it. And as a single guy I need to say it. Tinder. And Badoo too, way better. I have to say, there is not just an app cap, there is also bad quality cap.

In my opinion, smartphone is not just a specs. I don't mind abaut specs. What makes smartphone are apps. They are kind of a core of a smartphone. Heart of it. No matter how good the specs are, if there is no apps you don't do nothing with specs. Even with 3,5 MHz octacore 5 Gt 650ppi device without apps there is no smartphone. And this is not religious thing for me. I am very ready to change back to WP immediately when they got smartphone. I just need smartphone with full functionality.

But WP definitely have something that iOS and Android don't have. Eternal hope. And as long as human have hope it will be ok. I lost my hope and use smartphone.

Now u can get lighters and gasoline and burn me alive.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App
    07-09-2014 10:38 PM
    wait till this is conformed one way or another.
    This.
    Guytronic likes this.
    07-10-2014 12:07 AM
    I'm also joining you dude had beard enough of wp. And as cameras of said phones has gone better I'm jumping ship t too
    07-10-2014 12:17 AM
    i am of the opinion that, android apps are not yet confirmed officially. so rather believing in rumors, believe in WP for a little longer.
    anyway, if anybody has decided to go to android, i will suggest going to Gionee phone due to their Amigo UI.
    my bro recently bought Gionee S5.5, and i am really impressed with the modifications they have got in android.
    basic thing i liked is, u can control all the apps at ur wish. u can select, able / disable individual permissions of all apps individually.
    apart from that, the performance is much better than that samsung UI, including graphics and everything.
    Guytronic likes this.
    07-10-2014 01:06 AM
    id really wait until confirmation one way or the other.
    07-10-2014 01:23 AM
    Leaving based solely on rumors? Wow!
    BobLobIaw likes this.
    07-10-2014 06:41 AM
    Goodbye
    07-10-2014 07:00 AM
    I personally feel I got a better device that I could afford with my Lumia 521, you spend less than $300(full retail) and you will get a underpowered worthless device. I spent $80 plus tax on my Lumia 521. I could of gotten a Concord II and wanted to throw it through the wall like I wanted to do with my Prism II. I'm confident that the apps will improve. I remember when Android had a crappy app selection and IOS was the king.
    07-10-2014 07:33 AM
    I'm actually excited for WP. I can't wait to see what's next for the platform. The os alone prevents me from switching. It's too unique, clean, and smooth. Them live tiles too.

With the purchase of Nokias mobile division there is no turning back for MS. They know they have to compete, big. I think they're just trying to get their priorities sorted internally before they go full force. Rumors are rumors. Facts are facts. It's a fact that WP is perfect for me now. I can't wait to see what's next. Maybe you should as well?
    07-10-2014 07:37 AM
    Why? I guess that's the million dollar question. The answer? Android VM... Putting Android apps on Windows Phone is the biggest nail in the coffin we could plausibly fathom. Firstly, the Android apps barely run to a passable degree on Android phones, how well do you expect them to run on a VM?.
    Assuming all these rumours are true...

I expect Android apps NOT to run perceivably WORSE than they do on Android devices using the same hardware.

I agree with your assessment of the potential threats, but don't you think MS are also aware of them? Don't you think we should maybe hold out to see how MS addresses those threats before deciding?

If WP becomes, like BB, nothing more than an alternative platform on which to run android apps, I'd say you have a point. I'm not convinced that is MS' vision of WP's future.
    07-10-2014 07:56 AM
    MarCou .- try this in your lovely android that is lightyear ahead:
    go to this website Breaking Bad Tour - Wikitravel
    Then check the address of Walter White house, is not highlighted right? not even in iOS, or in a PC browser, but is highlighted on WP 8.1 and you can just navigate to that address on WP but not in others, how is possible that a basic feature is not available on android?
    for me highlighted dates and address and their integration with the OS and Cortana works better and is not antique like you said...
    MarCou likes this.
    07-10-2014 08:49 AM
    I'm just wondering is it a ploy by a competitor to destroy the image of WP? MS is not a nut to take such a decision which they very well know will have a severe backlash from the ardent WP community!

But hold on, if it was all rumor, and seeing so much negative sentiments, why is not MS or even Belfiore or any other from MS for that matter, come out in open and tell us not to worry about it?

Confused.
    07-10-2014 09:00 AM
    I'm just wondering is it a ploy by a competitor to destroy the image of WP? MS is not a nut to take such a decision which they very well know will have a severe backlash from the ardent WP community!

But hold on, if it was all rumor, and seeing so much negative sentiments, why is not MS or even Belfiore or any other from MS for that matter, come out in open and tell us not to worry about it?

Confused.
    After reading Nadella's long winded memo,I am in full agreement with you.

The future may seem bright to some here with all of these changes,but,to be honest looking at the direction he is leading Microsoft towards,is not somewhere I want to go. It hints too much of a Orwellian society to me as his ultimate goal of control with Microsoft's servers controlling our daily lives.

This might be acceptable considering his background,but to me is very frightening,since most Windows fanboyism will accept this as innovation instead of what it truly is.
    07-10-2014 09:27 AM
    My advice. Stop caring so much about phones. It will make life easier.
    07-10-2014 09:40 AM
32 12