If MS creates an Android Lumia Phone will you leave WP?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft can't do both, Google Android and Nokia X (AOSP). As part of the contract they have to sign to have access to Google Android, OEMs can't sell phones with an incompatible version of Android, that is, Nokia X.
So, a Lumia Android would be just the Nokia X with a better name.

Or they might drop the X line and go with Google Android. Microsoft is now in the devices business, and they have to sell devices, and more importantly premium devices, in as large of numbers as possible. If Android sells and WP doesn't, why bother with WP? I know that WP gets users onto their services, but maybe the numbers are low enough that it's not worth hemorrhaging cash on WP to get the customer on Microsoft's services.

FWIW, I don't see this happening. It's simply a possible scenario.

Draconica5

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I'm too tired with WP now...
If MS make and Android phone that can interate with my Surface Pro 2 which is WP can't, I will purchase it immediately!

MXI

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
No - that would be silly. However if over time apps are no longer developed for Native Windows Phone I may but that remains to be seen.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Or they might drop the X line and go with Google Android. Microsoft is now in the devices business, and they have to sell devices, and more importantly premium devices, in as large of numbers as possible. If Android sells and WP doesn't, why bother with WP? I know that WP gets users onto their services, but maybe the numbers are low enough that it's not worth hemorrhaging cash on WP to get the customer on Microsoft's services.

FWIW, I don't see this happening. It's simply a possible scenario.

That doesn't make sense, I wouldn't call that a possible scenario.

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I can't see Microsoft offering a full Android phone as anything but signaling that they don't have enough faith in their own mobile OS. Nokia X doesn't count, as that ball was already rolling, but if there's a Lumia with the same Android OS as Galaxy, I can't see WP development being as high a priority as just "selling phones".

That all said, it would be odd to see Microsoft go with a rival OS, even if they turned into some form of Windows-ized Android. Either way, I think MS is going full one way or the other: either they will adopt Android and drop WP development, or they will stick with WP-only and fix the Nokia X problem by switching it to WP at some future point.

If MS goes Android, I'm going iPhone.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
After all the fuss, I've given this some thought and as long as I can keep my WP and keep it free of Android I'm not bothered for myself what MS do.

However, an Android Lumia would be a big kick in the face for the WP team and taint the Lumia brand, because it would no longer be consistent. Right now, if I'm asked what phone people should buy I simply say Nokia Lumia and they can then choose the model which suits their needs. If MS release a Lumia Android device then I'll have to say 'get a Lumia except a 1322, because that's Android. This is too complicated for many and will put them off.

When it comes to branding the KISS principle applies.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I would likely buy one.

Been using Windows Phone since back in the CE 1.0 days, and will continue to do so. The main reason I would get one is because I'd still be using quality Nokia hardware that will come preinstalled with MS services I use, and I will have access to certain apps that are just not available on WP yet. There's still a gap, although MS and 3rd party developers have done a fine job in narrowing it.

Really the only apps I can think of that I need that aren't here yet are: Safeway, Square, Scott Trade. After that, it's just those fad app/games that come and go so quickly that there's no chance it would be on WP.

BitPusher2600

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Same here with the "If MS goes Android, I'm going iPhone." I would use an OS locked down beyond belief and that is popular amongst soccer moms, young teenagers and fashion minded bourgeois coffee house yuppies in exchange for being absolutely Android free. I personally despise it and Google both just that passionately.

Honestly, and I've said it before, that just as say Samsung and HTC are device manufacturers that play both sides of the fence, primarily Android but also makes Windows Phones, I wouldn't have any problem if Nokia were utilized like any other manufacturer and swung it the other way for profit (primarily Windows Phones but also manufactured Androids), but if MS injects that garbage into the WP OS itself, simply put, I'm out. The whole "Android is a choice" or "its virtualized" arguments hold no water with me. My money allows me the right, I believe, to be as hardnosed and unbending as I choose about where it goes. If I wanted "Android" I would've bought one. Oh yeah, /end rant.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
If I leave WP it won't be because of this.
It will be because Microsoft wasn't able to bring Sony into the WP space and I am, therefore, left without an OEM that I trust to provide me with the hardware to run WP in.
Microsoft could start producing iOS devices for all I care.

Bryan Sayas

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I'd buy one but I won't leave. I mean...who says when you buy a new phone with a different OS that you should have to leave your current used phone?

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Depends on the support Microsoft will give to Windows Phone. If they're messing up everything on Windows Phone and giving so much support to Android, I'm done.

Last edited by a moderator:

thequackin

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
I'd buy one but I won't leave. I mean...who says when you buy a new phone with a different OS that you should have to leave your current used phone?

I'm afraid it would discourage developers to create apps for Windows OS and/or Windows Phone since Android apps are implemented to the OS.

girishN

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
If microsoft ports those apps to their android they'll be ported to all, and that day I'd be just like everybody else.

zzvizz

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
MS would make a huge mistake if they put android on Lumia devices. Android never again.The one and only advantage of android for me is opera mini browser.I like that browser very much. Beside that WP is much much more better in every aspect of OS.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
I use both devices so i wouldn't leave anyways.

I don't see any purpose in buying a Lumia-Android because the market on that side is well mature, with other brands covering any niche.
The only thing i can do is adopt Android apps on a WP Lumia because i am tired of the missing apps and the shortcomings.

I am trying to leave Android not to go back to it. I am so tired of Google policies on privacy and the way the ecosystem is managed that i am thinking to go buy a BlackBerry Passport with just the necessary Android apps i need to survive and grant productivity.

StephanW

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
No.

Why? Because I believe in hardware + software from the same manufacturer work better. And for the second question: Yes, I find the iPhone 5S too expensive for what I do.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs