Why WP is dead in the water

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Have to admit I learn a lot from threads similar to this one even though at times the rhetoric makes me feel like I have a ball and chain around my ankle.
It's good for everyone to have an outlet up or down...

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
It must suck to be Microsoft right now. Consumers keep jerking the carrot away just as they get close to reaching it.
We need copy paste. :crying:
Done. :
We need more tiles and customization. :crying:
Done.
But we also need a pull down menu. :crying:
Done.
But we also need a digital assistant. :crying:
Done.
But we need more apps. :crying:
Done.
But now they have more than that so we need more apps. :crying:
Done.
But now they have even more apps so we need them too. :crying:
Sigh...How bout a 41 mp camera?
But its not as fast as the iphone. We need more features to make it unique. :crying:
How about better sound recording, more sensitive screens, guaranteed OS upgrade paths. A Compartmentalized OS who's separate components can be addressed and updated individually so you don't have to wait for your carrier to approve a giant upgrade you may never get. Dont like the music app? We can upgrade it every week until we get it right instead of waiting a year for At&t to approve the upgrade.
But I dont like the music app NOW!:crying:
Yeah that's why we are updating it twice a month. Does Android or Apple do that with the things that their users hate?
But it doesnt have everything that Android Has.:crying:
It has features that Android doesnt have
But it doesnt have everything Apple Has.:crying:
It has features that Apple doesnt have.
But it doesnt have more than both Android and Apple combined.:crying:
WP actually has a setup that potentially can.
But it hasnt happened the moment I blink and snap my fingers:crying:
You suck. You are slow and you dont listen to anything I say. :crying:

F-me....:straight:

This is the best post on this thread so far. Hit the nail firmly on the head!!!!

There are some users of WP users where I have replaced WP to mean 'Whiney Phone' users. Their attitude is: "I want it now, and if you don't it give to me, then I will throw a huge tantrum and threaten to go to another platform!!"
Or a few think they know how to run a huge company, but all their observations have been regurgitated from what they have read from the MS hating techy sites.... If they were in charge, they would be fired within 2 weeks with millions of dollars lost!!!

I'm not saying that there aren't relevant points of view, and a few people on here know how to set out a reasoned argument without resorting to the 'MS is s**t, and it's all over. I'm going to iOS 'cos I hate Google" card that is easy to play.
To say MS is not quick enough with updates, is also a laughable notion. Since the DP Preview, I have received 3 different OS updates which have each added extra features, and a 1520 update too. On Android or iOS, you would be lucky to get 2 updates in a year, and they are mostly bug fixes, not true OS updates....

Come on true WP afficienadoes, it's time to kick some whining ****!!!!! Lol

Last edited:

hope4wp

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Lol about candy crush hehe =)))))
There are tons of apps like candy crush....but nope! They want it from king!
King was also an unknown developer once!! I mean seriously? There is one in the store today....donut party!!
Sent from my Yellow Minion using Tapatalk

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140712_0001.png
    wp_ss_20140712_0001.png
    357.8 KB · Views: 14

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
King was also an unknown developer once!! I mean seriously? There is one in the store today....donut party!!

B-b-but its not Candy Crush!:crying:

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
It must suck to be Microsoft right now. Consumers keep jerking the carrot away just as they get close to reaching it.
We need copy paste. :crying:
Done. :
We need more tiles and customization. :crying:
Done.
But we also need a pull down menu. :crying:
Done.
But we also need a digital assistant. :crying:
Done.
But we need more apps. :crying:
Done.
But now they have more than that so we need more apps. :crying:
Done.
But now they have even more apps so we need them too. :crying:
Sigh...How bout a 41 mp camera?
But its not as fast as the iphone. We need more features to make it unique. :crying:
How about better sound recording, more sensitive screens, guaranteed OS upgrade paths. A Compartmentalized OS who's separate components can be addressed and updated individually so you don't have to wait for your carrier to approve a giant upgrade you may never get. Dont like the music app? We can upgrade it every week until we get it right instead of waiting a year for At&t to approve the upgrade.
But I dont like the music app NOW!:crying:
Yeah that's why we are updating it twice a month. Does Android or Apple do that with the things that their users hate?
But it doesnt have everything that Android Has.:crying:
It has features that Android doesnt have
But it doesnt have everything Apple Has.:crying:
It has features that Apple doesnt have.
But it doesnt have more than both Android and Apple combined.:crying:
WP actually has a setup that potentially can.
But it hasnt happened the moment I blink and snap my fingers:crying:
You suck. You are slow and you dont listen to anything I say. :crying:

F-me....:straight:

That's pretty much it, Microsoft taking forever to bring the most basic features. The 41 MP camera was actually Nokia, and it's very niche.

Also, integration of services instead of having an app centered approach was something people liked, Microsoft took it away because it's easier, but also taking away a big part of Windows Phone's uniqueness at the same time.

It's good that people find this post very funny and that it is trying to make a point for Microsoft, personally I think it is quite the opposite in both regards.

And as of Candy Crush: I don't get this game, I have bought Bejeweled on PC, on Windows Phone and on iOS for a few Francs each, I don't need a rip-off copy. But that doesn't mean that people who play it shouldn't be taken seriously. Good for you if you don't need it, but that won't change that Windows Phone is not an option for people who want it. (And I am pretty sure it's the social integration that makes people not want something similar from another developer...)

Last edited:

winrayjay99

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't think a lot of us understand what the situation is here. First Microsoft is in the middle of a transition process. Satya Nadella has only been CEO of the company for 5 Months. And from what I have seen he is trying to Turn the Company around from Steve Ballmer's blunders Microsoft has suffered from under his decade long tenure. IOS and Android are popular right now due to Ballmer's blunders. I mean instead of yelling about Google stealing something from them and then charge license fees for Android phones he should have tried harder with windows. I have a feeling Google may sue Microsoft over getting license fees for Android. All these Microsoft haters have been around since the 90's when Bill Gates had to testify in Congress to defend Microsoft of being viewed a a monopoly. Something Google actually is.

dumgeek

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
MS have to "open" WP and enable the community to summit API's. They need to find a way to accelerate is development. They are too much behind. IPhone became popular not because of hardware but software and OS.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't think a lot of us understand what the situation is here. First Microsoft is in the middle of a transition process. Satya Nadella has only been CEO of the company for 5 Months. And from what I have seen he is trying to Turn the Company around from Steve Ballmer's blunders Microsoft has suffered from under his decade long tenure. iOS and Android are popular right now due to Ballmer's blunders. I mean instead of yelling about Google stealing something from them and then charge license fees for Android phones he should have tried harder with windows. I have a feeling Google may sue Microsoft over getting license fees for Android. All these Microsoft haters have been around since the 90's when Bill Gates had to testify in Congress to defend Microsoft of being viewed a a monopoly. Something Google actually is.

We don't care about Microsoft and their strategy nor Mr. Nadella or Mr. Balmer, its about WP, its lagging period.
We are not here to understand or sympathize about Microsoft.
Tomorrow you might very well support Microsoft for putting all WP exclusives in iOS and android, but but it doesn't help the Windows Phone.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

People want candy crush because CandyCrush is what everyone plays, what fun is in playing alone, you play CandyCrush since your friends play and you compete with them.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I know this sounds harsh, and I realise I'm gonna get a lot of negativity, but I ask you to hear me out and let me know what you disagree with objectively.

1. Limiting choice of phones

As of mid-2014, WP has three high-end, almost-flagship devices: The 930, 1520 and 1020.
I say almost-flagship because each of these phones is missing something - either glance or wireless charging or SD card support

There simply is no flagship phone:
I mean come on, if people can look forward to and make purchase plans for an unknown, unnamed concept device like the McLaren that we know next to nothing about, then you *know* WP is missing something big.

2. No one cares about WP

It?s been months and WP8.1 isn?t out yet, Cortana only speaks American, and ?something big? is apparently coming to WP that no one seems to know about.

Also, the rumours that MS might make an Android-powered Lumia isn?t helping either.

3. Monotonous designs

Don't get me wrong - I think unibody polycarbonate is awesome.
But I also like unibody metal (like on the HTC One), front-and-back glass (XPERIAs and previous gen iPhones), and even the rubberised, plasticky or fake leather casing like on the Samsung and LG phones.
The point is, different people like different designs - and with the limited number of WP devices (see #1 above), almost all of which follow the same design language, it's not going win fans everywhere.

4. No brag-able or show-off worthy features.

...like self-healing back panels. Heart rate monitors. Fingerprint scanners. Or even curved displays.

A lone Samsung phone (Ativ SE) has an IR blaster. And a few Lumias have PureView ? which is awesome and is not a gimmick, but cameras aren?t everything, and almost seem like a one trick pony at this stage.

5. No rugged or waterproof phones

6. Doesn't work with wearables

7. Misses official google apps; and games/apps in general.

Yes, I know, but sorry I have to say this.
I know this topic has been discussed to death and beyond, but the plain fact of the matter is:
1. A lot of people use Google
2. WP offers no official apps for most google services.

To sum up, WP is a platform with a unique UI and great potential but the fact of the matter is, there isn?t any true flagship (in the same league as Android) to really help it shine today.

And in the long run, I don?t see how WP can progress when it?s more an after-thought or ?plan B? for OEMs, seems all but forsaken by its manufacturer, and ignored by the developer community.

Cheers!

Most of these concerns are about hardware while two and seven are about OS penetration/usage issues. Several of the hardware concerns were due to being specialized requests of a third place market segment. Third place, often distant. MS and OEM's need to prioritize while trying to prompt sales. Camera and display sizes are fine areas to excel in. MS in moving into a 3D control scheme which given battery issues may prove to be a useful and pretty feature.

Since MS is giving away WP we've hear a wave of reports of possible WP devices from a range of OEMs. I expect most of these will make it to market and likely over the next three to five months. Without a doubt the wish to synchronize the release of 8.1 with a raft of new phones was a missed opportunity for MS and OEM's. Of course for me the five months between release of the Preview for Developers and the likely release of major new flagships with 8.1 will be eternity, for the general public it won't be quite so long, perhaps long enough for Cortana to bubble up in the collective unconscious and resurface in what needs to be "cool" phones. Speaking of which, I absolutely concur with Mr. Noor and no doubt so many other's about the idea of the flagship devices being crippled so to say by missing features, primarily the lack of a SD Card slot (especially for the 1020). I also would like to see a wider variety of styles, but am especially interested in a phone that is influenced by the surface aesthetic. I think it would be foolish for MS to miss the opportunity unless a vapormg case would be exorbitantly expensive or impractical.

MS needs to push hard at WP for at least the next three years. I think five years out is a decision. They've set themselves up to be able to do it with a move at steady and rapid release of updates plus their own hardware teams. I wish MS would muck it up a bit less than they do, but they need to execute wisely and efficiently.

WP is not forgotten by MS. It's in third place with a commanding lead by entrenched market players. MS needs to develop real momentum from the release of McLaren to the release of WP 9 and the following couple of years. MS needs to ensure that the period is done correctly to avoid a fold or massive setback to MS's efforts in the cellphone arena.

I am likely not the average store patron and have found most of the apps that I need at this point with the exception of credit card/banking applications (US Bank). We are making progress in this aspect and if we can get some momentum with the hardware going the shortcoming of the WP Store will be ameliorated to some degree.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I think another thing to consider in posts like these (and there have been many of them) is the audience. They are generally written by someone who is passionate or at least a "power-user" of a smartphone. Then they are generally replied to by the same audience. While we may want something more out of a device and are more critical when it doesn't deliver, for 90% of the people out there, they could care less.
As long as it fits their budget and what they want to do, they could care less WHAT the device/OS is.
Those of who frequent these types of forums are NOT the target market for the vendors. Like it has been said before, companies follow the money.

Enthusiasts are always a target market for the vendors, they are the most likely buyers of the flagship devices. As to if enthusiasts represent the "target market" that is also up for question. There are no doubt a number of non-flagship WP owners that participate here, they simply care enough to write it at a website. As people who use the OS in question and go out of our ways to write on the issue, we really can never wisely be ignored.

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
A valid point being made is that the consumer doesn't care about the backstory of why they are behind. This is true but what isn't true is that Microsoft is just sitting on their butts with their eyes closed hoping the problems just magically go away. That is the point I was trying to make with comedy. Things are getting addressed (whether you like their solutions or not) at a breakneck pace. I have the luxury of being patient because the 8.1 DP pretty much addressed 99% of my usability issues. At the pace they are going they should have addressed the last 1% by the time I'm due for an upgrade. Who knows, my phone may get those software upgrades in the meantime. You also have to appreciate the ability for all WP8 phones to get updated all around the same time vs only select phones sometimes half a year after announcement.
I also had issues with them breaking everything out into apps but since I'm in the U.S. under Verizon, this was the only way they could bypass the ridiculously slow carrier review process for OS upgrades without signing up for the DP. I thought it was quite clever even though it was at the expense of a more cohesive feel to the OS. For all those in other countries that may not have this issue, I apologize on behalf of the U.S. for probably being the reason for this decision. Splash pages on things that should be considered "baked in" are kind of annoying...:crying:

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
MS have to "open" WP and enable the community to summit API's. They need to find a way to accelerate is development. They are too much behind. IPhone became popular not because of hardware but software and OS.
Sorry what? Microsoft should open what? Windows will NEVER be open, literally never.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb