Why WP is dead in the water

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Your observations are spot on, but they also convince me that using an underdog platform is pointless and silly.

Since I don't know the future, & it is difficult to even guess what might happen, I should concentrate on the present day. Today Android & iOS are the most widely used mobile platforms with all the apps anyone could want, and no waiting to see when or if they will be released. In the future this may not be the case, so Android or iOS today and maybe something else in the future.

If you're an app guy you'd be better with Android or iOS. Although, there are millions of people that don't use many apps or don't use apps at all, and WP is good for them. The app gap creates a perception of inferiority that hurts sales even in the segment that is well served by the current, growing, app selection. Microsoft has to solve this problem.
WP has improved a lot with 8.1, I don't find any major problem with the OS.

Some criticism is trying to extrapolate personal preferences to everybody. For example: -WP doesn't have xx app or xx feature that I need. WP is useless for everybody and is dead in the water-.
The correct way to express it would be: -WP doesn't have xx app or xx feature, so It's not good for me-.
Why is there a need to kill WP before moving to other platform?

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I guess we'll wait for new numbers here in the USA when new device come out but in reality Ms has only worked hard enough to gain maybe 5% of worldwide customers anyway!

Phone Guy 4567

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
If you're an app guy you'd be better with Android or iOS. Although, there are millions of people that don't use many apps or don't use apps at all, and WP is good for them. The app gap creates a perception of inferiority that hurts sales even in the segment that is well served by the current, growing, app selection. Microsoft has to solve this problem.
WP has improved a lot with 8.1, I don't find any major problem with the OS.

Some criticism is trying to extrapolate personal preferences to everybody. For example: -WP doesn't have xx app or xx feature that I need. WP is useless for everybody and is dead in the water-.
The correct way to express it would be: -WP doesn't have xx app or xx feature, so It's not good for me-.
Why is there a need to kill WP before moving to other platform?

There is no need to kill WP before moving. For myself I'm done waiting for things to get better, because I see no point in it. 8.1 really drove home the point to me what a dope I've been for waiting. In 8.1 there is less built in integration and more reliance on apps. IMO live tiles have become as important as Windows Vista desktop gadgets were, ever since they introduced the Info Centre. Info Centre, individual apps, and marginalized live tiles = less WP/Modern UI and more Android.

To top it all off Bing international support sucks, and I suspect it will keep lagging behind the US indefinitely. So not only am I using a 3rd place OS and all the issues that can arise from that, but I'm not even getting the same user experience as those in the US are. And to rub salt into the wound WP sales in the US suck, and still they get the best WP experience.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
There is no need to kill WP before moving. For myself I'm done waiting for things to get better, because I see no point in it. 8.1 really drove home the point to me what a dope I've been for waiting. In 8.1 there is less built in integration and more reliance on apps. IMO live tiles have become as important as Windows Vista desktop gadgets were, ever since they introduced the Info Centre. Info Centre, individual apps, and marginalized live tiles = less WP/Modern UI and more Android.

To top it all off Bing international support sucks, and I suspect it will keep lagging behind the US indefinitely. So not only am I using a 3rd place OS and all the issues that can arise from that, but I'm not even getting the same user experience as those in the US are. And to rub salt into the wound WP sales in the US suck, and still they get the best WP experience.

You must've missed the article a few days ago about how the US has the largest number of WP users. Shame. I wish people researched before posting such nonsense.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
You must've missed the article a few days ago about how the US has the largest number of WP users. Shame. I wish people researched before posting such nonsense.

They still only have 3% market share. US may have the most WP users, but that doesn't matter when the total user base number is small to begin with.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

I don't like hubs, I prefer the full featured apps. I like the action center, I use it all the time.
In all the platforms services are better in the US, and new features come first to the US market. Definitely the difference is bigger with Bing.

Now that you made your decision you should be happy, I guess things are going to improve for you, but It seems you're mad, just talking about what you don't like in WP.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
They still only have 3% market share. US may have the most WP users, but that doesn't matter when the total user base number is small to begin with.

Um..... Yes does lol. I have no idea what you've got going on inside your head but what you're basically saying is that if you've got one market that has a million people and you control 6% of that market (60,000 people) and another market with 10 people that you can control 50% of (5 people) then you should go with those 5 people because its a higher market share which..... Is just so terrible of an idea that I'm not sure I can even acknowledge it. You go where the users are, not the percentages.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Um..... Yes does lol. I have no idea what you've got going on inside your head but what you're basically saying is that if you've got one market that has a million people and you control 6% of that market (60,000 people) and another market with 10 people that you can control 50% of (5 people) then you should go with those 5 people because its a higher market share which..... Is just so terrible of an idea that I'm not sure I can even acknowledge it. You go where the users are, not the percentages.

Yup, because devs have been flocking to WP so far haven't they.

My point is that even though they're is more WP users in America it doesn't matter because there isn't enough WP users to begin with.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Yup, because devs have been flocking to WP so far haven't they.

My point is that even though they're is more WP users in America it doesn't matter because there isn't enough WP users to begin with.

So what do you suggest they do then? You're not making any sense. Should they focus on other countries where they have less users?

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
So what do you suggest they do then? You're not making any sense. Should they focus on other countries where they have less users?

I honestly don't know what they can do other than to keep supporting the platform and trying to get more hardware dec support. But I have no earthly clue how they do that. It's at the point where I can't see it really taking off unless some miraculous things line up.

Maybe I'm wrong, I hope I am. Believe or not I'm a fan of windows phone. I like the OS a lot. I just can't see it being a success considering what is happening now. I mean, MS has been doing pretty much all it can and it's not enough.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I honestly don't know what they can do other than to keep supporting the platform and trying to get more hardware dec support. But I have no earthly clue how they do that. It's at the point where I can't see it really taking off unless some miraculous things line up.

Maybe I'm wrong, I hope I am. Believe or not I'm a fan of windows phone. I like the OS a lot. I just can't see it being a success considering what is happening now. I mean, MS has been doing pretty much all it can and it's not enough.

Think we have to agree to disagree, WP is starting to emerge, with MS investing BILLIONS in acquisitions, restructuring, streamlining, new leadership, new strategy with a great leader who has changed the one thing that was holding MS back, the lack of sharing of code and information across teams. All this is happening right now. Yes if you look at the facts right this minute then MS is nowhere. Look at what they are doing right now and you will see that they will be there this year. These are not false hopes or promises, these are cold hard facts with dollar signs to back them up. MS is a coming!

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Think we have to agree to disagree, WP is starting to emerge, with MS investing BILLIONS in acquisitions, restructuring, streamlining, new leadership, new strategy with a great leader who has changed the one thing that was holding MS back, the lack of sharing of code and information across teams. All this is happening right now. Yes if you look at the facts right this minute then MS is nowhere. Look at what they are doing right now and you will see that they will be there this year. These are not false hopes or promises, these are cold hard facts with dollar signs to back them up. MS is a coming!

Will have to wait and see I guess

Phone Guy 4567

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site

You mean the one that has a blurb in it saying :

"AdDuplex stated:

These apps served ads to around 200,000 users on that day. The apps were deliberately selected to be as "global" as possible, but the dataset could still be affected by different ad strategies of the app publishers on a country-by-country basis and other factors."

Interesting for sure but it doesn't sound to me like the numbers are all that accurate. I wonder what the other factors could be?

Lalith Prabhudev

May 20, 2014
Visit site
If Windows release Windows phone 9.0 update like the 1 shown In YouTube then probably more people will come to buy Windows phone products due to its multi window and better multitasking features and more. If they follow that concept

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
GWINEGARDEN clearly thinks that those who criticize Microsoft are whiners. That is certainly not an opinion that invites criticism. So let's keep it real.

gwinegarden is definitely not saying that. In this forum we get too much doom and gloom, not valid criticism. And, if you think these types of hyperbole are 'valid' then you, certainly, do not know how to 'get real'.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NunezGuad