Why WP is dead in the water

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
And still none of the actions you refer to is consistent with canceling WP. All you are saying is that there are cuts in personnel and products announced, so therefore you are concluding that Nadella intends to cancel WP completely even though statements by Microsoft in that regard indicate the exact opposite. That is fear, uncertainty and doubt to a T. You could use the same rationale to conclude that Nadella will cancel Office 365, because OMG Nadella is cancelling whole divisions and products left and right! Oh noes, Surface Pros are next on Nadella's axe list!

Actually Surface is on the hit list because of the sunk costs and ongoing lack of profitability. All hardware is on the hit list. I also see Windows Phone on the hit list due to lack of market interest.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I would go with Android or iOS and pass on Windows Phone, at least for now. Having used Windows Phone from the beginning, and Windows Mobile before that, IMO there is very little upside to getting WP right now. In the beginning WP was all about the hubs and now that's not the case, the focus has switched to individual apps. That being the case I would go where the vast majority of people and apps are, since IMO what made WP a unique user experience is gone. If and when MS comes out with something that catches on with people you can always switch then. Glad to hear I'm not the only one with a Zune. :)

The problem is that the hubs never provided that much functionality in the first place. Also the square tiles and general same-y look to it all is confusing to users. There is a reason iconography exists - to help people identify things. Microsoft violated that basic UI principle and are now paying a dear price.

Phone Guy 4567

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
The concept of hubs is great but will only work the way it was originally implemented if you do frequent updates, which because of the deep OS integration and carriers was bound to fail. Combine that with the hit & miss updating of live tiles and you have big problems, because these two features are what differentiate WP from the rest. The UI isn't what's holding back WP IMO it's just MS brought WP to market too late. iOS and Android already had such a big lead that unless MS released something game changing people won't move from what they already know.

misfitpierce

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I believe the new CEO is going to pick up the ball on advertising and the whole flagship phones thing. Windows phone has been growing quite well actually overall tho. More and more devs and everything have been coming over. MSFT announced doubling down on windows phone support so... Everyone needs to just be patient. It takes a bit of time to see changes from internal restructuring of the company. By years end I believe ppl will be much happier.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The concept of hubs is great but will only work the way it was originally implemented if you do frequent updates, which because of the deep OS integration and carriers was bound to fail. Combine that with the hit & miss updating of live tiles and you have big problems, because these two features are what differentiate WP from the rest. The UI isn't what's holding back WP IMO it's just MS brought WP to market too late. iOS and Android already had such a big lead that unless MS released something game changing people won't move from what they already know.

The first thing Steve Jobs always started a design meeting with was - "Is the thing we're working on needed in the market? Is the market not addressing a need that we can fill"? Microsoft never approached Windows Phone with this mindset, just "let's copy Apple".

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
well i think it's down to advertising. If windows phone is not advertised well, people can take advantage and say things like it has no apps, it lags like windows etc. and people will believe that and won't try it if they have the chance because they don't even know how its really like. That's why when I go to my friends they're are always like it has no apps or ask me why i didn't get an android, i just guide them through and they are impressed by it. It's not that it failing, it's more to do with people not even knowing it how it's like.

misfitpierce

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
The first thing Steve Jobs always started a design meeting with was - "Is the thing we're working on needed in the market? Is the market not addressing a need that we can fill"? Microsoft never approached Windows Phone with this mindset, just "let's copy Apple".

Can you say narrow minded... You probably can't but don't worry about it. So when apple took the flat approach from windows they didn't borrow a concept? And when apple stole webkits code from the open source community they didn't borrow a concept? Exactly... The technology world is built off building from others ideas. If there were no creations, there would be no innovations. Like the concept, it takes money to make money. Apple and Microsoft have always exchanged ideas as well and apple wouldn't even be around if Microsoft didn't bail them out. So try to keep an open mind in the technology field.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Can you say narrow minded... You probably can't but don't worry about it. So when apple took the flat approach from windows they didn't borrow a concept? And when apple stole webkits code from the open source community they didn't borrow a concept? Exactly... The technology world is built off building from others ideas. If there were no creations, there would be no innovations. Like the concept, it takes money to make money. Apple and Microsoft have always exchanged ideas as well and apple wouldn't even be around if Microsoft didn't bail them out. So try to keep an open mind in the technology field.

#1 - Apple flattened the interface in iOS 7 but didn't go all the way flat like Windows 8. iOS 7 is still beautiful overall, while Windows 8 is vomit-inducing with all the purple/green crap. I swear the start screen as shown initially by Sinofsky in October 2011 is one only The Joker could love. Vomit-inducing crap.

#2 - WebKit is open-source so you can't steal anything there by definition.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
#1 - Apple flattened the interface in iOS 7 but didn't go all the way flat like Windows 8. iOS 7 is still beautiful overall IN MY OPINION, while Windows 8 is vomit-inducing with all the purple/green crap IN MY OPINION. I swear the start screen as shown initially by Sinofsky in October 2011 is one only The Joker could love. Vomit-inducing crap IN MY OPINION.

There. Fixed it for you. Come on dude, your nonsense is really getting old.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa