07-18-2014 05:45 AM
59 123
tools
    The scorched earth option might be a little much, but I would definitely make it a real cumbersome process for those other OS'es to access Exchange and Sharepoint. Google does this with Microsoft. Apple does it with iTunes on Windows. So why not?
    Why not? Because it is short-sighted and will have ripple effects that go well beyond Windows Phone. Make compelling products that people will trip over themselves to get. But since this is Microsoft, I don't think that is possible... so your suggestion may be the only thing they have left.
    07-15-2014 01:00 PM
    WP may indeed be alive and kicking, but at the 3 at&t stores I was at yesterday not 1 WP was shown. I spent several hours at 3 different stores trying to get some issues with my account and my phone taken care of and I watched what and how some things were done.

What I saw really surprised me and has changed my outlook about some things.

The people who didn't know what they wanted were asked what they used the phone for the most... I kid you not.. Texting, social media YouTube with game playing.. I saw more Galaxy 4 's sold than 5's (price factor) and for the few people who asked which has the best battery life the Note 3 got the nod. Nothing about call clarity, signal strength, display resolution movies music durability.... Nada...

I know that this is just a small sampling, but, good grief... If this is indicative of the day to day, then Microsoft really needs to change its image.. Or it won't be alive and kicking for much longer...

If WP has the best of the everyday texting apps that the majority of people use, has better battery life than the Galaxy Notes, has the latest most downloaded games people want to play.. and can get some name recognition... they might turn things around.

Tech sights love to get us phone techies all excited about the latest and greatest new hardware, but the average person off the street doesn't have a clue what is good or not, and if the phone doesn't work for what they want to do, it won't sell, especially if the average Joe hasn't even seen anything about it or even shown one in the store.

I honestly don't think that WP can last as it is right now...... and concentrating on cloud computing first tells me that it isn't a high priority for Microsoft right now... Maybe they know that they have to get their house in order first before they can get their mobile phone division in order... I'm not sure ... But I know a complete overhaul of how things are done is in order
    07-16-2014 09:18 AM
    I'm sorry op......this new iPhone is coming out soon....as we've and Ms seen before customers are going to flock apple stores by the millions. Do you really think when Ms releases the phones they'll get same results.......they don't stand a chance! U.s market share is down wait till these new iPhones come out! I'm willing to bet most if not all att,Verizon,sprint store will move all WP and non selling phones to the back room just to make space for iPhone displays for more customers! This will never happen for any Lumia device.how old is the iPhone 4?.......not end of life is it?
    07-16-2014 09:58 AM
    WP may indeed be alive and kicking, but at the 3 at&t stores I was at yesterday not 1 WP was shown. I spent several hours at 3 different stores trying to get some issues with my account and my phone taken care of and I watched what and how some things were done.

The people who didn't know what they wanted were asked what they used the phone for the most... I kid you not.. Texting, social media YouTube with game playing.. I saw more Galaxy 4 's sold than 5's (price factor) and for the few people who asked which has the best battery life the Note 3 got the nod. Nothing about call clarity, signal strength, display resolution movies music durability.... Nada...

I know that this is just a small sampling, but, good grief... If this is indicative of the day to day, then Microsoft really needs to change its image.. Or it won't be alive and kicking for much longer...

If WP has the best of the everyday texting apps that the majority of people use, has better battery life than the Galaxy Notes, has the latest most downloaded games people want to play.. and can get some name recognition... they might turn things around.

Tech sights love to get us phone techies all excited about the latest and greatest new hardware, but the average person off the street doesn't have a clue what is good or not, and if the phone doesn't work for what they want to do, it won't sell, especially if the average Joe hasn't even seen anything about it or even shown one in the store.

I honestly don't think that WP can last as it is right now...... and concentrating on cloud computing first tells me that it isn't a high priority for Microsoft right now... Maybe they know that they have to get their house in order first before they can get their mobile phone division in order... I'm not sure ... But I know a complete overhaul of how things are done is in order
    Yup.

I have never heard folks say
    "hey check out my new cloud services man!"
    Or
    "This word document is killer!"
    Or
    "Show me that new phone you got that has the highest work productivity because of the included office suite!"
    MarCou likes this.
    07-16-2014 10:01 AM

I have 20+ years of sales experience, I first started selling those massive mobiles a long time ago. The same is true today in that the sales people are pushing products that make THEM more commission, simples. Nothing to do with whats best, that's just a BS question they ask and whatever the answer is they will steer the person to the phone that makes them as a salesperson the most amount of commission. When/if WP offer the stores promotions say an extra 50 bonus to the salespeople for every WP sold then just you watch what those sales people do!
    TechAbstract likes this.
    07-16-2014 12:59 PM
    I'm sorry op......this new iPhone is coming out soon....as we've and Ms seen before customers are going to flock apple stores by the millions. Do you really think when Ms releases the phones they'll get same results.......they don't stand a chance! U.s market share is down wait till these new iPhones come out! I'm willing to bet most if not all att,Verizon,sprint store will move all WP and non selling phones to the back room just to make space for iPhone displays for more customers! This will never happen for any Lumia device.how old is the iPhone 4?.......not end of life is it?
    Wow, all I can say is take a step back and look at the big picture of whats happening in the mobile space and what the companies are doing. MS will increase market share, I reckon the aim is 10% over the next 3 years. No one is even contemplating a similar reaction to iPhones from MS products, at least not in the near future. Apple and IBM will eat up the Blackberry market share with their joint venture. Android will keep going but slowly and surely people will move to WP. I know a LOT of techies all on Android, they love it, they can fiddle to their hearts content, they are all keeping an eye on WP, slowly and surely MS are adding features the geeks and techies want and they will come :) The number of Apps is also going up every single day. Its only a matter of time before its on par with the other 2. Its not wishful or bluesky thinking, its true from many angles, techies and geeks also value their privacy and most dislike google from that perspective.
    07-16-2014 01:04 PM
    Wow, all I can say is take a step back and look at the big picture of whats happening in the mobile space and what the companies are doing. MS will increase market share, I reckon the aim is 10% over the next 3 years. No one is even contemplating a similar reaction to iPhones from MS products, at least not in the near future. Apple and IBM will eat up the Blackberry market share with their joint venture. Android will keep going but slowly and surely people will move to WP. I know a LOT of techies all on Android, they love it, they can fiddle to their hearts content, they are all keeping an eye on WP, slowly and surely MS are adding features the geeks and techies want and they will come :) The number of Apps is also going up every single day. Its only a matter of time before its on par with the other 2. Its not wishful or bluesky thinking, its true from many angles, techies and geeks also value their privacy and most dislike google from that perspective.
    I don't think most people care about privacy like you think they do.

Also, are you sure people are keeping a eye in windows phone? I think most have moved on now and chosen there ecosystem . And people don't often walk away from a ecosystem they invested in already with app and content purchases.
    07-16-2014 02:15 PM
    ... MS will increase market share, I reckon the aim is 10% over the next 3 years. ... Android will keep going but slowly and surely people will move to WP. .. slowly and surely MS are adding features the geeks and techies want and they will come :) The number of Apps is also going up every single day. Its only a matter of time before its on par with the other 2. Its not wishful or bluesky thinking, its true from many angles, ...
    You just need to read more tech news. Google and Apple are developing smart homes already. Google just bought Nest Labs and Dropcam, Apple is also making its own system. MS is still developing smartwatch. Or have you heard of anything else? They come far behind. And the fact we know, Android and Apple owns mobilemarkets. So its natural people to buy gadgets that fits their current system. They wont buy WP first and then cadgets, or more likely wait for gadgets and hope they will appear some day.

There will be smoke alarms, locks, thermostats, whatever gandgest. People dont necessarily buy them all. But the possible ecosystem will be huge. And it isnt some Back to the Future scifi. It will be reality, or it is already. And what MS does? Smartwatch. You see, people wont change platform so easily in the future. Thats why its done. People wont change their locks, thermometers, smoke alarms just to get WP.

One thing you deny to see is the fact that others dont rest either. They dont sit back and say, Now it all done, we can take it easy. They are developing too. Its like rolling snowball. More they develop more they get under develop.

Now, take a deep breath and sit back and look at the whole image. The only ecosystem that is near future coming to WP is smartwatch. Others will come with huge ecosystems. And now, just think. How likely it really is that MS will rise again? Just put your emotios away for a while and think. What they really have, or what there is coming what others dont have that makes people change their whole ecosystem just for WP?

Its more likely to see two flashes hiting to the UFO in the flare of mermaids eye than see MS rising in mobilemarkets. Nadella is a good choice COD. He seems to be very purposeful and he have vision. But one man just cant change that fact that MS delayed badly. It is sad. It is very sad. But just take it as a part of a natural evolution of this industry.

don't think most people care about privacy like you think they do.
    You are right. Many friends of mine ask me abaut viruses in Android. But next thing is that they have seen some cool gadget and ask is it possible to connect to WP. And they buy Android. Not cos they want that gadget, but cos they wanna know its possible. IF they someday will buy it. I cant say that its possible to connect some scale to WP, cos its not. I cant say that its possible to connect WP to chromecast, cos its not. And moreover, I cant say it MIGHT be possible some day, just buy WP and buy hope at same time.
    07-16-2014 04:12 PM
    You just need to read more tech news. Google and Apple are developing smart homes already. Google just bought Nest Labs and Dropcam, Apple is also making its own system. MS is still developing smartwatch. Or have you heard of anything else? They come far .
    Connected Home - Microsoft Store U.S.
    07-16-2014 05:01 PM
    You just need to read more tech news. Google and Apple are developing smart homes already. Google just bought Nest Labs and Dropcam, Apple is also making its own system. MS is still developing smartwatch. Or have you heard of anything else? They come far behind. And the fact we know, Android and Apple owns mobilemarkets. So its natural people to buy gadgets that fits their current system. They wont buy WP first and then cadgets, or more likely wait for gadgets and hope they will appear some day.

There will be smoke alarms, locks, thermostats, whatever gandgest. People dont necessarily buy them all. But the possible ecosystem will be huge. And it isnt some Back to the Future scifi. It will be reality, or it is already. And what MS does? Smartwatch. You see, people wont change platform so easily in the future. Thats why its done. People wont change their locks, thermometers, smoke alarms just to get WP.

One thing you deny to see is the fact that others dont rest either. They dont sit back and say, Now it all done, we can take it easy. They are developing too. Its like rolling snowball. More they develop more they get under develop.

Now, take a deep breath and sit back and look at the whole image. The only ecosystem that is near future coming to WP is smartwatch. Others will come with huge ecosystems. And now, just think. How likely it really is that MS will rise again? Just put your emotios away for a while and think. What they really have, or what there is coming what others dont have that makes people change their whole ecosystem just for WP?

Its more likely to see two flashes hiting to the UFO in the flare of mermaids eye than see MS rising in mobilemarkets. Nadella is a good choice COD. He seems to be very purposeful and he have vision. But one man just cant change that fact that MS delayed badly. It is sad. It is very sad. But just take it as a part of a natural evolution of this industry.

You are right. Many friends of mine ask me abaut viruses in Android. But next thing is that they have seen some cool gadget and ask is it possible to connect to WP. And they buy Android. Not cos they want that gadget, but cos they wanna know its possible. IF they someday will buy it. I cant say that its possible to connect some scale to WP, cos its not. I cant say that its possible to connect WP to chromecast, cos its not. And moreover, I cant say it MIGHT be possible some day, just buy WP and buy hope at same time.
    Time will tell, lest see where they all are in 12 months, MS strategy of combining personal and business devices seems to be a sound argument and MS can leverage their business customers. Will be interesting to see where Apple and IBM go with their partnership.
    07-16-2014 05:02 PM
    Yeah, that's the thing. Your asking people to buy into promises, hope, and coming sons. Meanwhile there's existing ecosystems that are more mature, have more things coming in the pipeline, and moving onto the next thing. Not playing catch up.

And I can't see people buying into that,
    07-16-2014 05:09 PM
    Yeah, that's the thing. Your asking people to buy into promises, hope, and coming sons. Meanwhile there's existing ecosystems that are more mature, have more things coming in the pipeline, and moving onto the next thing. Not playing catch up.

And I can't see people buying into that,
    That's marketing for you, every company tries to get people to buy into promises, hopes, dreams, lifestyles etc. Everyone was/is buzzing about google glass, DOA. People talking about connected devices in the home, well I read an article that a smart fridge had been hacked into and was sending spam to people, will it take off? who knows. With all this connectivity its a marketing departments wet dream and as for mobiles well MS were late yes but so what? that's like saying Ford was late with their cars, what would you have them do? Innovation is key, software and hardware differentiators. If MS came up with 3 day battery life and held on to that technology that would certainly change the landscape somewhat, as it is though they are transitioning and into something to really take the fight to the other 2. Is there anyone leading Apple or MS with the kind of vision and presence that Satya has? Only good things are going to happen to WP, that's something i really believe, something I don't expect anyone else to though.
    07-16-2014 05:57 PM
    Time will tell, lest see where they all are in 12 months, MS strategy of combining personal and business devices seems to be a sound argument and MS can leverage their business customers. Will be interesting to see where Apple and IBM go with their partnership.

This is very interesting industry if you switch off emotions. Lot of things happen in short time range.

And we all know what Nadella should do and we all would be better CODs. As well as we all can see the future and know what's gonna happen. ;-)

But you are absolutely right. Time will tell the truth for all of us. There could come one little thing that changes everything, just like partnership between IBM and Apple. And when there is enough opinions, someone may get it right. And he's the one who can say What did I said. We all wanna be that one. It's just almost like wining the lottery.

But, let the time explain these for us.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App
    Great deal likes this.
    07-16-2014 06:04 PM
    This is very interesting industry if you switch off emotions. Lot of things happen in short time range.

And we all know what Nadella should do and we all would be better CODs. As well as we all can see the future and know what's gonna happen. ;-)

But you are absolutely right. Time will tell the truth for all of us. There could come one little thing that changes everything, just like partnership between IBM and Apple. And when there is enough opinions, someone may get it right. And he's the one who can say What did I said. We all wanna be that one. It's just almost like wining the lottery.

But, let the time explain these for us.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App
    Yep you never know, look what happened to Blackberry! (BTW - whats a COD lol)
    07-16-2014 06:07 PM
    Apple and Google understand consumers. Unfortunately, consumers are really stupid as ****. Microsoft has been dealing with Enterprise for its entire existence. You know what Enterprise does? They vet, evaluate, do multiple RFP's when deciding on software/hardware solutions. Then when they need to upgrade they test, back test and then regression test before they deploy. How do you go about dealing with that type of customer to some dumbass who comes into a store asking for a phone that plays the latest Kim Kardashian game, or some insipid teenage chick that wants the gold iphone so it matches her purse?

Now, you have people dying to have their appliances connected to the internet. That is absolutely ingenious. Why do you need your phone to connect to your refrigerator, garage door, thermostat or stove? You absolutely don't. It's pure stupidity. Next, they'll devise a robotic *** wiper which you can control with your iphone or galaxy. Anyway, doesn't the fact that the NSA can already hack into your computer scare the living daylights out of you? Now anybody who's computer savvy can hack into your home and rob you blind. Idiocracy is alive and well. My point is Apple and Google are good at sheep herding.
    07-16-2014 07:19 PM
    I can make a fairly educated guess on where Microsoft will be in 12 months. Based on history, here's my predication of what we'll be saying in July 2015:

Time will tell, lest see where they all are in 12 months, MS strategy of combining personal and business devices seems to be a sound argument and MS can leverage their business customers.
    07-16-2014 10:00 PM
    Apple and Google understand consumers. Unfortunately, consumers are really stupid as ****. Microsoft has been dealing with Enterprise for its entire existence. You know what Enterprise does? They vet, evaluate, do multiple RFP's when deciding on software/hardware solutions. Then when they need to upgrade they test, back test and then regression test before they deploy. How do you go about dealing with that type of customer to some dumbass who comes into a store asking for a phone that plays the latest Kim Kardashian game, or some insipid teenage chick that wants the gold iphone so it matches her purse?

Now, you have people dying to have their appliances connected to the internet. That is absolutely ingenious. Why do you need your phone to connect to your refrigerator, garage door, thermostat or stove? You absolutely don't. It's pure stupidity. Next, they'll devise a robotic *** wiper which you can control with your iphone or galaxy. Anyway, doesn't the fact that the NSA can already hack into your computer scare the living daylights out of you? Now anybody who's computer savvy can hack into your home and rob you blind. Idiocracy is alive and well. My point is Apple and Google are good at sheep herding.
    Um, ok. Think your a bit misguided here.
    07-16-2014 10:49 PM
    MS should either buy or partnership with BlackBerry and natively integrate some BB functions into WP and exchange solutions.
    07-16-2014 11:17 PM
    Um, ok. Think your a bit misguided here.
    Yes, I know that technology is moving to more consumer friendly realms, but I stand by the fact:

1. Microsoft is not a consumer company (it's trying to be everything to everybody which it simply cannot do). Tell me how Dynamics(CRM/ERP), VS, SQL, Exchange, Sharepoint, Lync, Office, Windows/Windows Server have anything to do with your average 45 year old house frau? Yet these are the growth engines for the company.
    2. Connecting your whole house to the internet is simply idiotic (Yes, I understand it's going that way whether I like it or not, and Apple/Google are trying to gain a foothold)
    3. Google/Apple are better at emotionally connecting to regular everyday people. Honestly, how many MSFT stickers do you see on people's cars?

Sorry to go on this rant, but it's impossible for these MSFT fiefdoms to even comprehend how to deal with grandma. That's why it's going to be extremely difficult for WP to gain traction because the groups that bring home the bacon are the ones who make the rules.
    Last edited by Chinocop; 07-17-2014 at 12:07 AM.
    07-16-2014 11:42 PM
    Yes, I know that technology is moving to more consumer friendly realms, but I stand by the fact:

1. Microsoft is not a consumer company (it's trying to be everything to everybody which it simply cannot do). Tell me how Dynamics(CRM/ERP), VS, SQL, Exchange, Sharepoint, Lync, Office, Windows/Windows Server have anything to do with your average 45 year old house frau? Yet these are the growth engines for the company.
    2. Connecting your whole house to the internet is simply idiotic (Yes, I understand it's going that way whether I like it or not, and Apple/Google are trying to gain a foothold)
    3. Google/Apple are better at emotionally connecting to regular everyday people. Honestly, how many MSFT stickers do you see on people's cars?

Sorry to go on this rant, but it's impossible for these MSFT fiefdoms to even comprehend how to deal with grandma. That's why it's going to be extremely difficult for WP to gain traction because the groups that bring home the bacon are the ones who make the rules.
    Yeah, I can see that.
    07-17-2014 12:49 AM
    Looks like 4 people bought them, half loved it/half hated it.

Maybe Amazon has more reviews then the official ms store?
    07-17-2014 05:26 AM
    Were actually down from a year ago here in the USA and to add to that yes the iPhones will be here soon . Those apple stores are going to explode mean while at the Ms store or WP section at carriers.."cricket.....cricket.....cricket" maybe this will happen when Ms releases its new phone? Lets take bets who sells more for the holiday ! If Ms wins ....i will never crab about WP ever again!
    07-17-2014 07:10 AM
    (BTW - whats a COD lol)
    Oops. I meant CEO. It was late night here when I was writing that. =D

... Unfortunately, consumers are really stupid as ****. ... How do you go about dealing with that type of customer to some dumbass who comes into a store asking for a phone that plays the latest Kim Kardashian game, or some insipid teenage chick that wants the gold iphone so it matches her purse?...
    I understand your point and I agree. But there is also a problem. That customer asking Kim Kardashian game or chick that wants gold iPhone to fit her purse, they have a NEED. And they want to satisfy that need, they give their money for that. And that is the thing what makes this system so great. Companies need to serve us.

You cant say that customer is stupid dumpass just cos he wants a phone that plays Kim Karsashian game. You cant say that teenage chick is making wrong decision cos she is buying an golden iPhone matching her purse. If that girl have saved money for months seeing clearly in her mind an golden iPhone matcing her purse, no me, no you, no company or nobody can say that he is making a wrong decison. Its is just right decison for her. She dont give a s*** abaut UI, OS, GBs, RAM or pps. And that is her right and THAT is the way markets should go. There is a country where decisons are made very ready for you and they will tell you what you want and what you need.

My point is Apple and Google are good at sheep herding.
    And MS as well. There was almost two decades when MS could ask -What we want to give next for them... mmm.. how abaut little gadget to desktop. And we were like -Yippii, they gave this for us. We just dont have nothing to choose from, we have to get what they gave for us
    And they still try to be this, almost four years. And just a few days ago they admit, that they have to come down from their towers and ask -What do YOU want we GIVE to you.

Look it at this way, you have a right to choose smoke alarm that is working with your phone. You dont need to buy it, but you have an opinion. They have to make this possible for you. No company tells you that you need it or you dont need it. Now its your decision.
    07-17-2014 07:17 AM
    With all the news lately about MS - exciting times ahead!

The behemoth is shedding weight and excess fat, getting lean, focussed and gearing up for the fight!

The main outstanding device will be launched as stated with Threshold (or whatever it will be called) in 2015, this is enough time for the changes to have been done and work to bear fruit. My contracts are both up in November maybe Mclaren and hold out for the other in 2015.

Lot of people will say we've been waiting and heard this all before. Well no! look at the actions over the words. Im no fan boy however compared to the offerings from Apple and Android im backing WP all the way.
    Laura Knotek and rodan01 like this.
    07-17-2014 11:30 AM
    With all the news lately about MS - exciting times ahead!

The behemoth is shedding weight and excess fat, getting lean, focussed and gearing up for the fight!

The main outstanding device will be launched as stated with Threshold (or whatever it will be called) in 2015, this is enough time for the changes to have been done and work to bear fruit. My contracts are both up in November maybe Mclaren and hold out for the other in 2015.

Lot of people will say we've been waiting and heard this all before. Well no! look at the actions over the words. Im no fan boy however compared to the offerings from Apple and Android im backing WP all the way.
    This was a long time coming. Wife used to work at MSFT so she saw how convoluted and bureaucratic it was to push things through. They need a culture change. It was way too toxic with the way people would sabotage/backstab others in order to make themselves look better. Employees are supposed to collaborate with each other rather than step on each other to get ahead.
    Last edited by Chinocop; 07-17-2014 at 02:08 PM.
    07-17-2014 01:12 PM
59 123