Why WP is alive, kicking and soon to be sprinting

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I thought Disney land was a place to go to experience great rides and get lost in the magic. To go and count mobile devices and break them down into percentages isn't my idea of fun! Just teasing you, seriously though if your in Disneyland and want to take loads of pics im guessing the 1020 would be the best choice. With MS purchasing Nokia and the integration taking place, we will see lots of focussed marketing, devices, gret features, innovation etc coming through. MS spent billions and will continue to do so to increase the market share, its stagnated due to the merger and they will come out fighting soon! watch this space, Micky Mouse will have a Lumia!

As for getting people to switch, look at Blackberry, the darling of the business world, you would have had to wrench a Blackberry out of the dead hand of many executives before they would give it up, that wasn't too long ago.

Adding to the Disneyland theme I went to the one in Anaheim and took loads of (great) photos with my 1020 - we ended up keeping most of my photos and deleting the ones taken off the rest of my families' iPhones

For the last couple of years I've seen MS lay the groundwork for a completely unified experience (i.e. Universal Apps, universal kernels with universal code and universal-ish interfaces with cross-platform cloud services like OneDrive and Office 365) and this is fantastic, however I've also read/seen back in the past lots of other things MS made that could've been great (Courier, SPOT etc.) that they completely screwed up and then the competition took their idea. I really hope Satya Nadella is a different kettle of fish to what MS has been in the past - this is a bloody great direction for the company to be going and all, but if their execution is poor it's all over.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
If I were MSFT, I would play dirty and break ActiveSync for IOS and Android. Make it impossible for the competition to access Exchange and SharePoint. Make Windows Phone the de facto enterprise mobile solution. The next thing they need to do is cater to their strong markets and grow the OS for them. They spend all of their resources catering to the US consumer. Guess what? The numbers speak for themselves: Americans don't give a **** about your phones, and that's not going to change as I highlighted above. My wife who works at Disney developing apps; they don't even know what WP is. MSFT is late to the game. Cut their losses here in the US and go after the rest of the world.
What I bolded is exactly Microsoft's strategy for the last 30 years. It is not a recipe for long-term and substantial success. The result is people who use your products because they are forced to, not because they want to.

With ubiquitous BYOD programs in the F1000 companies, attempting to make Windows Phone the de facto standard is going to backfire.

How about this, make devices that are interesting, useful, and fun to use. Make them have reliable quality. Regular updates that fixes bugs, adds new features that make sense (not just to say there are more features) and doesn't break more things that it attempts to fix.

Reach out to consumers and don't have an arrogant attitude of "you'll buy our product because we're Microsoft and we made it". Have a solid plan and stick to it (don't change it 3 months in).

There is no shortcut for building a track record of trust with consumers.

Chinocop

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
This is for the US. I still think the rest of the world is ripe for MSFT. Why would you switch phones when apps are the most important feature that consumers are looking for on a phone? Again, I point to the game I saw yesterday Heads Up!. All these people were playing it. Yes there is a third party version, but it's not from Warner Bros. These big developers are ignoring WP. WP is not even on their roadmap including my wife's company Disney. By the time that WP gets the app, the fad has already passed and something new has popped up. I love my 1020, but I can see the writing on the wall. Winning the hearts and minds of consumers is not Microsoft's game.

Last edited:

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
WP might be alive and kicking, but I have a hard time believing it's going to be successful here in the US. I was just at Disneyland: 80% of the phones were IPhones, 19.99% were Android and this one lady with a 1520 and me with my 1020 made up the rest of the .01%. I'm not up with current trends so I'm really behind the times, but I was watching all these people placing their phones to their foreheads while their friends were giving them clues about the word on the phone. This was happening over and over again. Fact is IOS and Android are emotionally connecting to these consumers. How are you going to get these people to switch. You're only hope in the US is if all the illegal immigrants pouring over the border somehow make enough money or the government gives them handouts to buy Windows Phones.

If I were MSFT, I would play dirty and break ActiveSync for IOS and Android. Make it impossible for the competition to access Exchange and SharePoint. Make Windows Phone the de facto enterprise mobile solution. The next thing they need to do is cater to their strong markets and grow the OS for them. They spend all of their resources catering to the US consumer. Guess what? The numbers speak for themselves: Americans don't give a **** about your phones, and that's not going to change as I highlighted above. My wife who works at Disney developing apps; they don't even know what WP is. MSFT is late to the game. Cut their losses here in the US and go after the rest of the world.

that would be a good way to tick off the customer base, and send them to whatever alternative solution there was, in a hurry.

Chinocop

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
that would be a good way to tick off the customer base, and send them to whatever alternative solution there was, in a hurry.

The scorched earth option might be a little much, but I would definitely make it a real cumbersome process for those other OS'es to access Exchange and Sharepoint. Google does this with Microsoft. Apple does it with iTunes on Windows. So why not?

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
The scorched earth option might be a little much, but I would definitely make it a real cumbersome process for those other OS'es to access Exchange and Sharepoint. Google does this with Microsoft. Apple does it with iTunes on Windows. So why not?
Why not? Because it is short-sighted and will have ripple effects that go well beyond Windows Phone. Make compelling products that people will trip over themselves to get. But since this is Microsoft, I don't think that is possible... so your suggestion may be the only thing they have left.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
WP may indeed be alive and kicking, but at the 3 at&t stores I was at yesterday not 1 WP was shown. I spent several hours at 3 different stores trying to get some issues with my account and my phone taken care of and I watched what and how some things were done.

What I saw really surprised me and has changed my outlook about some things.

The people who didn't know what they wanted were asked what they used the phone for the most... I kid you not.. Texting, social media YouTube with game playing.. I saw more Galaxy 4 's sold than 5's (price factor) and for the few people who asked which has the best battery life the Note 3 got the nod. Nothing about call clarity, signal strength, display resolution movies music durability.... Nada...

I know that this is just a small sampling, but, good grief... If this is indicative of the day to day, then Microsoft really needs to change its image.. Or it won't be alive and kicking for much longer...

If WP has the best of the everyday texting apps that the majority of people use, has better battery life than the Galaxy Notes, has the latest most downloaded games people want to play.. and can get some name recognition... they might turn things around.

Tech sights love to get us phone techies all excited about the latest and greatest new hardware, but the average person off the street doesn't have a clue what is good or not, and if the phone doesn't work for what they want to do, it won't sell, especially if the average Joe hasn't even seen anything about it or even shown one in the store.

I honestly don't think that WP can last as it is right now...... and concentrating on cloud computing first tells me that it isn't a high priority for Microsoft right now... Maybe they know that they have to get their house in order first before they can get their mobile phone division in order... I'm not sure ... But I know a complete overhaul of how things are done is in order

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry op......this new iPhone is coming out soon....as we've and Ms seen before customers are going to flock apple stores by the millions. Do you really think when Ms releases the phones they'll get same results.......they don't stand a chance! U.s market share is down wait till these new iPhones come out! I'm willing to bet most if not all att,Verizon,sprint store will move all WP and non selling phones to the back room just to make space for iPhone displays for more customers! This will never happen for any Lumia device.how old is the iPhone 4?.......not end of life is it?

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
WP may indeed be alive and kicking, but at the 3 at&t stores I was at yesterday not 1 WP was shown. I spent several hours at 3 different stores trying to get some issues with my account and my phone taken care of and I watched what and how some things were done.

The people who didn't know what they wanted were asked what they used the phone for the most... I kid you not.. Texting, social media YouTube with game playing.. I saw more Galaxy 4 's sold than 5's (price factor) and for the few people who asked which has the best battery life the Note 3 got the nod. Nothing about call clarity, signal strength, display resolution movies music durability.... Nada...

I know that this is just a small sampling, but, good grief... If this is indicative of the day to day, then Microsoft really needs to change its image.. Or it won't be alive and kicking for much longer...

If WP has the best of the everyday texting apps that the majority of people use, has better battery life than the Galaxy Notes, has the latest most downloaded games people want to play.. and can get some name recognition... they might turn things around.

Tech sights love to get us phone techies all excited about the latest and greatest new hardware, but the average person off the street doesn't have a clue what is good or not, and if the phone doesn't work for what they want to do, it won't sell, especially if the average Joe hasn't even seen anything about it or even shown one in the store.

I honestly don't think that WP can last as it is right now...... and concentrating on cloud computing first tells me that it isn't a high priority for Microsoft right now... Maybe they know that they have to get their house in order first before they can get their mobile phone division in order... I'm not sure ... But I know a complete overhaul of how things are done is in order

Yup.

I have never heard folks say
"hey check out my new cloud services man!"
Or
"This word document is killer!"
Or
"Show me that new phone you got that has the highest work productivity because of the included office suite!"

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

I have 20+ years of sales experience, I first started selling those massive mobiles a long time ago. The same is true today in that the sales people are pushing products that make THEM more commission, simples. Nothing to do with whats best, that's just a BS question they ask and whatever the answer is they will steer the person to the phone that makes them as a salesperson the most amount of commission. When/if WP offer the stores promotions say an extra ?50 bonus to the salespeople for every WP sold then just you watch what those sales people do!

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry op......this new iPhone is coming out soon....as we've and Ms seen before customers are going to flock apple stores by the millions. Do you really think when Ms releases the phones they'll get same results.......they don't stand a chance! U.s market share is down wait till these new iPhones come out! I'm willing to bet most if not all att,Verizon,sprint store will move all WP and non selling phones to the back room just to make space for iPhone displays for more customers! This will never happen for any Lumia device.how old is the iPhone 4?.......not end of life is it?

Wow, all I can say is take a step back and look at the big picture of whats happening in the mobile space and what the companies are doing. MS will increase market share, I reckon the aim is 10% over the next 3 years. No one is even contemplating a similar reaction to iPhones from MS products, at least not in the near future. Apple and IBM will eat up the Blackberry market share with their joint venture. Android will keep going but slowly and surely people will move to WP. I know a LOT of techies all on Android, they love it, they can fiddle to their hearts content, they are all keeping an eye on WP, slowly and surely MS are adding features the geeks and techies want and they will come :) The number of Apps is also going up every single day. Its only a matter of time before its on par with the other 2. Its not wishful or bluesky thinking, its true from many angles, techies and geeks also value their privacy and most dislike google from that perspective.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Wow, all I can say is take a step back and look at the big picture of whats happening in the mobile space and what the companies are doing. MS will increase market share, I reckon the aim is 10% over the next 3 years. No one is even contemplating a similar reaction to iPhones from MS products, at least not in the near future. Apple and IBM will eat up the Blackberry market share with their joint venture. Android will keep going but slowly and surely people will move to WP. I know a LOT of techies all on Android, they love it, they can fiddle to their hearts content, they are all keeping an eye on WP, slowly and surely MS are adding features the geeks and techies want and they will come :) The number of Apps is also going up every single day. Its only a matter of time before its on par with the other 2. Its not wishful or bluesky thinking, its true from many angles, techies and geeks also value their privacy and most dislike google from that perspective.

I don't think most people care about privacy like you think they do.

Also, are you sure people are keeping a eye in windows phone? I think most have moved on now and chosen there ecosystem . And people don't often walk away from a ecosystem they invested in already with app and content purchases.

MarCou

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
... MS will increase market share, I reckon the aim is 10% over the next 3 years. ... Android will keep going but slowly and surely people will move to WP. .. slowly and surely MS are adding features the geeks and techies want and they will come :) The number of Apps is also going up every single day. Its only a matter of time before its on par with the other 2. Its not wishful or bluesky thinking, its true from many angles, ...

You just need to read more tech news. Google and Apple are developing smart homes already. Google just bought Nest Labs and Dropcam, Apple is also making its own system. MS is still developing smartwatch. Or have you heard of anything else? They come far behind. And the fact we know, Android and Apple owns mobilemarkets. So its natural people to buy gadgets that fits their current system. They wont buy WP first and then cadgets, or more likely wait for gadgets and hope they will appear some day.

There will be smoke alarms, locks, thermostats, whatever gandgest. People dont necessarily buy them all. But the possible ecosystem will be huge. And it isnt some Back to the Future scifi. It will be reality, or it is already. And what MS does? Smartwatch. You see, people wont change platform so easily in the future. Thats why its done. People wont change their locks, thermometers, smoke alarms just to get WP.

One thing you deny to see is the fact that others dont rest either. They dont sit back and say, Now it all done, we can take it easy. They are developing too. Its like rolling snowball. More they develop more they get under develop.

Now, take a deep breath and sit back and look at the whole image. The only ecosystem that is near future coming to WP is smartwatch. Others will come with huge ecosystems. And now, just think. How likely it really is that MS will rise again? Just put your emotios away for a while and think. What they really have, or what there is coming what others dont have that makes people change their whole ecosystem just for WP?

Its more likely to see two flashes hiting to the UFO in the flare of mermaids eye than see MS rising in mobilemarkets. Nadella is a good choice COD. He seems to be very purposeful and he have vision. But one man just cant change that fact that MS delayed badly. It is sad. It is very sad. But just take it as a part of a natural evolution of this industry.

don't think most people care about privacy like you think they do.

You are right. Many friends of mine ask me abaut viruses in Android. But next thing is that they have seen some cool gadget and ask is it possible to connect to WP. And they buy Android. Not cos they want that gadget, but cos they wanna know its possible. IF they someday will buy it. I cant say that its possible to connect some scale to WP, cos its not. I cant say that its possible to connect WP to chromecast, cos its not. And moreover, I cant say it MIGHT be possible some day, just buy WP and buy hope at same time.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
You just need to read more tech news. Google and Apple are developing smart homes already. Google just bought Nest Labs and Dropcam, Apple is also making its own system. MS is still developing smartwatch. Or have you heard of anything else? They come far behind. And the fact we know, Android and Apple owns mobilemarkets. So its natural people to buy gadgets that fits their current system. They wont buy WP first and then cadgets, or more likely wait for gadgets and hope they will appear some day.

There will be smoke alarms, locks, thermostats, whatever gandgest. People dont necessarily buy them all. But the possible ecosystem will be huge. And it isnt some Back to the Future scifi. It will be reality, or it is already. And what MS does? Smartwatch. You see, people wont change platform so easily in the future. Thats why its done. People wont change their locks, thermometers, smoke alarms just to get WP.

One thing you deny to see is the fact that others dont rest either. They dont sit back and say, Now it all done, we can take it easy. They are developing too. Its like rolling snowball. More they develop more they get under develop.

Now, take a deep breath and sit back and look at the whole image. The only ecosystem that is near future coming to WP is smartwatch. Others will come with huge ecosystems. And now, just think. How likely it really is that MS will rise again? Just put your emotios away for a while and think. What they really have, or what there is coming what others dont have that makes people change their whole ecosystem just for WP?

Its more likely to see two flashes hiting to the UFO in the flare of mermaids eye than see MS rising in mobilemarkets. Nadella is a good choice COD. He seems to be very purposeful and he have vision. But one man just cant change that fact that MS delayed badly. It is sad. It is very sad. But just take it as a part of a natural evolution of this industry.

You are right. Many friends of mine ask me abaut viruses in Android. But next thing is that they have seen some cool gadget and ask is it possible to connect to WP. And they buy Android. Not cos they want that gadget, but cos they wanna know its possible. IF they someday will buy it. I cant say that its possible to connect some scale to WP, cos its not. I cant say that its possible to connect WP to chromecast, cos its not. And moreover, I cant say it MIGHT be possible some day, just buy WP and buy hope at same time.

Time will tell, lest see where they all are in 12 months, MS strategy of combining personal and business devices seems to be a sound argument and MS can leverage their business customers. Will be interesting to see where Apple and IBM go with their partnership.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, that's the thing. Your asking people to buy into promises, hope, and coming sons. Meanwhile there's existing ecosystems that are more mature, have more things coming in the pipeline, and moving onto the next thing. Not playing catch up.

And I can't see people buying into that,

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, that's the thing. Your asking people to buy into promises, hope, and coming sons. Meanwhile there's existing ecosystems that are more mature, have more things coming in the pipeline, and moving onto the next thing. Not playing catch up.

And I can't see people buying into that,

That's marketing for you, every company tries to get people to buy into promises, hopes, dreams, lifestyles etc. Everyone was/is buzzing about google glass, DOA. People talking about connected devices in the home, well I read an article that a smart fridge had been hacked into and was sending spam to people, will it take off? who knows. With all this connectivity its a marketing departments wet dream and as for mobiles well MS were late yes but so what? that's like saying Ford was late with their cars, what would you have them do? Innovation is key, software and hardware differentiators. If MS came up with 3 day battery life and held on to that technology that would certainly change the landscape somewhat, as it is though they are transitioning and into something to really take the fight to the other 2. Is there anyone leading Apple or MS with the kind of vision and presence that Satya has? Only good things are going to happen to WP, that's something i really believe, something I don't expect anyone else to though.

MarCou

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Time will tell, lest see where they all are in 12 months, MS strategy of combining personal and business devices seems to be a sound argument and MS can leverage their business customers. Will be interesting to see where Apple and IBM go with their partnership.

This is very interesting industry if you switch off emotions. Lot of things happen in short time range.

And we all know what Nadella should do and we all would be better CODs. As well as we all can see the future and know what's gonna happen. ;-)

But you are absolutely right. Time will tell the truth for all of us. There could come one little thing that changes everything, just like partnership between IBM and Apple. And when there is enough opinions, someone may get it right. And he's the one who can say What did I said. We all wanna be that one. It's just almost like wining the lottery.

But, let the time explain these for us.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
This is very interesting industry if you switch off emotions. Lot of things happen in short time range.

And we all know what Nadella should do and we all would be better CODs. As well as we all can see the future and know what's gonna happen. ;-)

But you are absolutely right. Time will tell the truth for all of us. There could come one little thing that changes everything, just like partnership between IBM and Apple. And when there is enough opinions, someone may get it right. And he's the one who can say What did I said. We all wanna be that one. It's just almost like wining the lottery.

But, let the time explain these for us.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Yep you never know, look what happened to Blackberry! (BTW - whats a COD lol)

Chinocop

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Apple and Google understand consumers. Unfortunately, consumers are really stupid as ****. Microsoft has been dealing with Enterprise for its entire existence. You know what Enterprise does? They vet, evaluate, do multiple RFP's when deciding on software/hardware solutions. Then when they need to upgrade they test, back test and then regression test before they deploy. How do you go about dealing with that type of customer to some dumbass who comes into a store asking for a phone that plays the latest Kim Kardashian game, or some insipid teenage chick that wants the gold iphone so it matches her purse?

Now, you have people dying to have their appliances connected to the internet. That is absolutely ingenious. Why do you need your phone to connect to your refrigerator, garage door, thermostat or stove? You absolutely don't. It's pure stupidity. Next, they'll devise a robotic *** wiper which you can control with your iphone or galaxy. Anyway, doesn't the fact that the NSA can already hack into your computer scare the living daylights out of you? Now anybody who's computer savvy can hack into your home and rob you blind. Idiocracy is alive and well. My point is Apple and Google are good at sheep herding.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb