Why WP is alive, kicking and soon to be sprinting

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
There are a lot of people with doom and gloom attitude, well take heart and realise that everything Microsoft are doing and have done recently is to make and deliver us fantastic devices, services and experiences. Lets look at the evidence, feel free to add what ive missed!

MS purchases one of the great mobile manufacturers - When you buy a company that large its impossible to roll out devices the following week, something people expect to happen. The fact that MS now have 100% access to everything is amazing and will result in tight devices, amazing tech with amazing OS.

MS replace Balmer with Satya - The best thing to happen to MS in years, Satya has vision, drive, clarity and is a realist.

MS announce internal restructure - This is perhaps the single most important thing - Historically the structure of the teams at MS has led to the teams not readily sharing their knowledge with other teams and that leads to inferior products and services. The reorganisation will enable MS to squeeze the best out of everything.

MS IP - MS has a LOT of amazing IP and access to technology that others do not have. This tech will be on our devices over the next few years. Up to this point in time MS has been behind and playing catch up to the other 2, they have caught up and we will see true innovation coming though soon.

All in all its exciting times ahead, I have a saying which is... "if you walk through life carrying a hammer, your going to see an awful lot of nails" which means that whatever you focus on you see more of it, yes we can focus on the negatives, just don't lose sight of the reasons for that. Great times are coming and im actually really excited to see and be part of this WP future!

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Well I quite don't understand the increasing number of topics about "MS' future". Everything will be fine, it's just such a time.. In few weeks/months everything will be perfect.

BitPusher2600

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Nah, the only valid "doom & gloom" I could see is if they essentially turn WP into just another Android app launching environment by putting in an Android VM as opposed to sticking to their guns and frankly, besides the number of companies, products and services that have official apps on WP, there are more popping up all the time, so I'm hanging on to a little hope. I just hope Windows itself starts getting a little more love. I love Windows 8.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
There are a lot of people with doom and gloom attitude, well take heart and realise that everything Microsoft are doing and have done recently is to make and deliver us fantastic devices, services and experiences. Lets look at the evidence, feel free to add what ive missed!

MS purchases one of the great mobile manufacturers - When you buy a company that large its impossible to roll out devices the following week, something people expect to happen. The fact that MS now have 100% access to everything is amazing and will result in tight devices, amazing tech with amazing OS.

MS replace Balmer with Satya - The best thing to happen to MS in years, Satya has vision, drive, clarity and is a realist.

MS announce internal restructure - This is perhaps the single most important thing - Historically the structure of the teams at MS has led to the teams not readily sharing their knowledge with other teams and that leads to inferior products and services. The reorganisation will enable MS to squeeze the best out of everything.

MS IP - MS has a LOT of amazing IP and access to technology that others do not have. This tech will be on our devices over the next few years. Up to this point in time MS has been behind and playing catch up to the other 2, they have caught up and we will see true innovation coming though soon.

All in all its exciting times ahead, I have a saying which is... "if you walk through life carrying a hammer, your going to see an awful lot of nails" which means that whatever you focus on you see more of it, yes we can focus on the negatives, just don't lose sight of the reasons for that. Great times are coming and im actually really excited to see and be part of this WP future!
You are correct when you say that is perhaps the single most important thing. However, this is not the first, or even fifth time that Microsoft has "restructured". Shuffling the cards on an org chart isn't going to change the corporate culture.

What my first-hand experience tells me (working for companies like IBM and Microsoft) is that one of the purposes of a reorganization is to allow directors to kill products and services without their predecessor being held accountable for the failure to thrive.

Keep an eye on what products/services Microsoft "merges" or outright "sunsets".

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
You are correct when you say that is perhaps the single most important thing. However, this is not the first, or even fifth time that Microsoft has "restructured". Shuffling the cards on an org chart isn't going to change the corporate culture.

What my first-hand experience tells me (working for companies like IBM and Microsoft) is that one of the purposes of a reorganization is to allow directors to kill products and services without their predecessor being held accountable for the failure to thrive.

Keep an eye on what products/services Microsoft "merges" or outright "sunsets".

July 22nd is in diary, MS financial results are out and Satya said more info abt the reorg will be announced. I think they will kill off a few products/services. WP, Surface, Office are for sure secure for now. What do you think about Skype? is it a money maker for MS, havnt used it in ages and when I last did was full of silly bugs like desktop and mobile rang same time, answered one and other kept ringing!

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
July 22nd is in diary, MS financial results are out and Satya said more info abt the reorg will be announced. I think they will kill off a few products/services. WP, Surface, Office are for sure secure for now. What do you think about Skype? is it a money maker for MS, havnt used it in ages and when I last did was full of silly bugs like desktop and mobile rang same time, answered one and other kept ringing!
I've used Skype for years... $60 a year for unlimited incoming/outgoing calls is unbeatable IMO... and every device I own (including a PSP Go) becomes capable of making and receiving calls. That means there's a good chance that Microsoft will kill it. :evil:

I know that I'm in the minority here, but I see another reboot of their mobile OS coming within the next 12 months. I also see the Surface line becoming Pro-only. I think Microsoft will make an active push to put Office in the spotlight. They did it with Office for iPad... their update for the Mac is highly anticipated and MS could certainly regain some traction there.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I've used Skype for years... $60 a year for unlimited incoming/outgoing calls is unbeatable IMO... and every device I own (including a PSP Go) becomes capable of making and receiving calls. That means there's a good chance that Microsoft will kill it. :evil:

I know that I'm in the minority here, but I see another reboot of their mobile OS coming within the next 12 months. I also see the Surface line becoming Pro-only. I think Microsoft will make an active push to put Office in the spotlight. They did it with Office for iPad... their update for the Mac is highly anticipated and MS could certainly regain some traction there.

That's great, just had a look at Skype pricing, think im going to get the world subscription.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm very excited and optimistic for Microsoft as a company. I think Nadella was the best choice for CEO and he's going to bring the company to great places. I think focusing on services and being device agnostic was the best move. My worries are mainly windows phone and if they can survive without android app support. And wether supporting android apps would kill the platform anyway. It seems like a damned if you do damned if you don't situation.

michaelkriss

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I too am really optimistic as MS moves forward. I love the decision to offer windows for free to certain device manufacturers. I'm glad to see support for other platforms. MS is a huge company to try and move but I think the vision is catching on and we will see slow progression towards a unified ecosystem. With Office, Xbox, Skype Microsoft is the one company that can challenge Google and so far I think they are doing well and not stooping to their level.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm very excited and optimistic for Microsoft as a company. I think Nadella was the best choice for CEO and he's going to bring the company to great places. I think focusing on services and being device agnostic was the best move. My worries are mainly windows phone and if they can survive without android app support. And wether supporting android apps would kill the platform anyway. It seems like a damned if you do damned if you don't situation.

They can survive without the Android apps, time, marketing and cash reserves to survive are all that's needed and MS has it. As time ticks and tocks more apps are bought into the store. I would love to see a graph somewhere of 'Apps over time' for Apple/ Android and WP. With the average person using only around 10-15 apps im sure the Apple and Android app store is slowing down due to saturation, i mean how many camera apps are out there, how much choice is too much choice? how much time is wasted trying different camera apps and reading reviews of the hundreds out there. WP is focussed and I feel I can actually get more done using this system than when I had either of the other 2. As for WP using Android Apps that's just doesn't make sense in the slightest from any angle except if they wanted to kill off the WP system.

AG VK

Banned
Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
They can survive without the Android apps, time, marketing and cash reserves to survive are all that's needed and MS has it. As time ticks and tocks more apps are bought into the store. I would love to see a graph somewhere of 'Apps over time' for Apple/ Android and WP. With the average person using only around 10-15 apps im sure the Apple and Android app store is slowing down due to saturation, i mean how many camera apps are out there, how much choice is too much choice? how much time is wasted trying different camera apps and reading reviews of the hundreds out there. WP is focussed and I feel I can actually get more done using this system than when I had either of the other 2. As for WP using Android Apps that's just doesn't make sense in the slightest from any angle except if they wanted to kill off the WP system.

You're clearly in the extreme minority here. People don't "research" apps before installing them, people just use whatever their friends and family are using right now and this can be the make-or-break decision in purchasing a device. How many people didn't use WP because it didn't have Instagram and how many more have rejected the platform because it didn't have Candy Crush? These people, however trivial their desires, exist in the hundreds of millions and we need that demographic. Especially interesting, because the only real standout feature of WP so far has been Nokia's Pureview imaging technology. The people who go nuts for Candy Crush and all that are also those that use their cameras the most, and WP would be perfect for them if not for the lack of apps.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
You're clearly in the extreme minority here. People don't "research" apps before installing them, people just use whatever their friends and family are using right now and this can be the make-or-break decision in purchasing a device. How many people didn't use WP because it didn't have Instagram and how many more have rejected the platform because it didn't have Candy Crush? These people, however trivial their desires, exist in the hundreds of millions and we need that demographic. Especially interesting, because the only real standout feature of WP so far has been Nokia's Pureview imaging technology. The people who go nuts for Candy Crush and all that are also those that use their cameras the most, and WP would be perfect for them if not for the lack of apps.

Agree and I will add that every day the apps store is growing. As market share grows (as it will when MS start releasing their own hardware) and as business continue to adopt WP then slowly ppl will start to wonder and try it out. Right now word of mouth is everything and MS have to get it right, no XBM type rubbish, no Calendar issues etc.

Chinocop

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
WP might be alive and kicking, but I have a hard time believing it's going to be successful here in the US. I was just at Disneyland: 80% of the phones were IPhones, 19.99% were Android and this one lady with a 1520 and me with my 1020 made up the rest of the .01%. I'm not up with current trends so I'm really behind the times, but I was watching all these people placing their phones to their foreheads while their friends were giving them clues about the word on the phone. This was happening over and over again. Fact is IOS and Android are emotionally connecting to these consumers. How are you going to get these people to switch. Your only hope in the US is if all the illegal immigrants pouring over the border somehow make enough money or the government gives them handouts to buy Windows Phones.

If I were MSFT, I would play dirty and break ActiveSync for IOS and Android. Make it impossible for the competition to access Exchange and SharePoint. Make Windows Phone the de facto enterprise mobile solution. The next thing they need to do is cater to their strong markets and grow the OS for them. They spend all of their resources catering to the US consumer. Guess what? The numbers speak for themselves: Americans don't give a **** about your phones, and that's not going to change as I highlighted above. My wife who works at Disney developing apps; they don't even know what WP is. MSFT is late to the game. Cut their losses here in the US and go after the rest of the world.

Last edited:

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I see Windows phones at Disneyland all the time. The 920 is most common. But I have seen a few 520s, 1020s and even the occasional 710.

Chinocop

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I see Windows phones at Disneyland all the time. The 920 is most common. But I have seen a few 520s, 1020s and even the occasional 710.

Every time I have been to Disney (Anaheim and Orlando), it's been nothing but IPhone and some Androids. The problem for Microsoft is that iPhones are generational in usage meaning that old people use them as well as teenagers in the US. I don't think teens really care that grandmothers use iPhones because all the teenagers I see are using Apple Phone.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

Short version is "coming soon"

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
WP might be alive and kicking, but I have a hard time believing it's going to be successful here in the US. I was just at Disneyland: 80% of the phones were IPhones, 19.99% were Android and this one lady with a 1520 and me with my 1020 made up the rest of the .01%. I'm not up with current trends so I'm really behind the times, but I was watching all these people placing their phones to their foreheads while their friends were giving them clues about the word on the phone. This was happening over and over again. Fact is IOS and Android are emotionally connecting to these consumers. How are you going to get these people to switch. You're only hope in the US is if all the illegal immigrants pouring over the border somehow make enough money or the government gives them handouts to buy Windows Phones.

If I were MSFT, I would play dirty and break ActiveSync for IOS and Android. Make it impossible for the competition to access Exchange and SharePoint. Make Windows Phone the de facto enterprise mobile solution. The next thing they need to do is cater to their strong markets and grow the OS for them. They spend all of their resources catering to the US consumer. Guess what? The numbers speak for themselves: Americans don't give a **** about your phones, and that's not going to change as I highlighted above. My wife who works at Disney developing apps; they don't even know what WP is. MSFT is late to the game. Cut their losses here in the US and go after the rest of the world.

I thought Disney land was a place to go to experience great rides and get lost in the magic. To go and count mobile devices and break them down into percentages isn't my idea of fun! Just teasing you, seriously though if your in Disneyland and want to take loads of pics im guessing the 1020 would be the best choice. With MS purchasing Nokia and the integration taking place, we will see lots of focussed marketing, devices, gret features, innovation etc coming through. MS spent billions and will continue to do so to increase the market share, its stagnated due to the merger and they will come out fighting soon! watch this space, Micky Mouse will have a Lumia!

As for getting people to switch, look at Blackberry, the darling of the business world, you would have had to wrench a Blackberry out of the dead hand of many executives before they would give it up, that wasn't too long ago. With Steve Jobs (long may his soul rest at the alter of tech greatness) gone what's left are 'suits', soulless shareholder yes monkeys who are releasing tiny improved iterations of stale hardware, yes they have market share but people have very short attention spans and without true innovation and innovation from competitors they can and will jump ship.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte