Warren says Windows RT and WP is getting android apps. Perfers WP have malware

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Just asking..
Why not shift to some stock Android Phone and literally close the app gap overnight?
If you're here for the UI and Nokia can try X2?
Just asking why people want it here on a different platform? No offense. :)

Agree. But that would only be Android. Correct?

But Android on Windows Phones will be Google, Sun and MSFT as one again. Correct?

The concept with colliding Android with Windows Phone is a breakthrough.

Awesome if it ever happens.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
The gap might close, but think of all the issues that would come with it - the majority of the apps probably wouldn't fit the metro branding, there could be problems with paying for apps, since the Droid app marketplace probably doesn't work the same way as WP's; it could, like that person on the twitter screenshot said, bring malware; and etc.

Do you remember Windows when Sun, Google, and MSFT were one?

Application when released they were flawless. I believe if they re join forces as one again the apps for the mobile world likewise will be flawless.

TaichiSurface

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
he's been wrong before, but Daniel quickly pointed out that his info was not correct at that time.

This time around though, I don't see anyone credible to jump out and say this is flat out false so there might be some truth in it or it's being considered at the moment.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
he's been wrong before, but Daniel quickly pointed out that his info was not correct at that time.

This time around though, I don't see anyone credible to jump out and say this is flat out false so there might be some truth in it or it's being considered at the moment.

Excellent. Perhaps is all true.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
The gap might close, but think of all the issues that would come with it - the majority of the apps probably wouldn't fit the metro branding, there could be problems with paying for apps, since the Droid app marketplace probably doesn't work the same way as WP's; it could, like that person on the twitter screenshot said, bring malware; and etc.
The apps would be purchased through the "X store" that the Nokia X/XL phones use. You know, the phones that Microsoft released in those "emerging markets" with the AOSP fork that's skinned to look similar to Windows Phone 8..

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I think it would make more sense if Microsoft made it easier for current Android developers to transition their apps and code to the Windows platform. That would be a better compromise (if they could somehow make it practical), apps would be optimised to run on Windows and devs wouldn't have to rewrite their code from scratch to write for a new platform

hoovermac

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I have a Z30 running a slew of native BB and Android apps. Some of the Android apps run just fine right from the various stores; some of them are absolutely brutal. Apps that require Google Play services however, don't 100% work in the sandboxed Android runtime. Note that this has also been my experience with apps straight from the Google Play store on my Android tablet - some of them run perfectly and some are bloody awful!

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
You see. I'm old school and computing was at is best when Google and MSFT and Java (Sun) were one many moons ago.

Huh?

Now they are three separate entities and a new competitor was born.

Oops Apple.

Before Apple. Google, MSFT and Java ruled the computing world. And they still do. But they are now weak and became three separate entries.

Thus Apple became strong and dominant in computing.

But I assure if Google, MSFT and Sun rejoin forces. Apple will be wipe of the face of the earth in computing.

Thus Android apps on Windows Phones will be revolutionary again.

Lol

This is big. And if it happens this could be the next big thing.

I think you may want to check your history.

Apple were around in 1975, releasing the first home computer in 1976.
MS have been around since 1974 when they did their first software.
They both helped each other and have continued to do so. Never really any competition between the two. Only in the minds of journalists...

Sun were around even before both of them...

Google are relative newcomers to the industry, and have always been agressive when it comes to 'competing'.
Agressively competing with other companies, only leads to failure in the long run, and MS nor Apple want to do that.

The idea is to create innovative products, and hope that this molds the industry....

Last edited:

Mike Gibson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Mary Jo Foley said on Windows Weekly last week that none of her contacts replied to her on this issue. Not even a "no comment", which was worrisome for both her and Thurrott.

I had planned on converting my WP80 app to a Universal App later this Summer but I'm going to hold off on that work until I get clarification on the future of the whole RT effort at MSFT.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Mary Jo Foley said on Windows Weekly last week that none of her contacts replied to her on this issue. Not even a "no comment", which was worrisome for both her and Thurrott.

I had planned on converting my WP80 app to a Universal App later this Summer but I'm going to hold off on that work until I get clarification on the future of the whole RT effort at MSFT.

Well that is worrying, then again they probably pushed out these rumors intentionally to weed out the leaksters?
I have thought long and hard about this, I don't see this happening as where will android lumia's or android apps fit into the one Microsoft vision?

We have windows 8 pcs / tablets, windows phone 8 (soon to be merged with RT) and Xbox one (with its hybrid system of Xbox O/S, Windows 8 and the Bridge O/S for the switching) for the living room tied together by the cloud topped off by Cortana Integration. With these elements the three screen dream is almost a reality, plus wasn't Nokia's plan to use the X series as a "Launch pad" to push users into windows phone by tying them into MS services?.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

That in itself doesn't mean you should worried. Moreover, a "no comment" response would signal something is amiss with Nadella we need to know about. It would to me anyway. With her questions still out there, lets see if she gets some kind of answer back this week.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't get the problem of having Android apps running on WP. And I always feel like hitting with a chair the person that says "Android apps = Malware". That's the same that saying "Windows programs = malware" and equally stupid.

Of course there's malware on Android. That's the price you pay for having an open source OS. Just like there's Malware on Windows. In either case, you only get the malware if you're reckless in your use of technology. If you try to pirate apps, meddle with those shady third party stores or if you're just downright dumb that download anything that has the name you're looking for in the title and don't bother to look at who's publishing it.

At any rate, all Windows Phone Android apps would come from the Windows Store anyway. Which means, they'd be still checked for malware and all of that.
The thing is: WP developers aren't committed to the platform. Microsoft needs apps. They simply have to find a way to bring those apps in. Is it a sign of capitulation of WP? Yeah. But then again, it's not worse than stale sales or inability to grow market share. Because ultimately, Microsoft shareholders will NOT allow Windows Phone to continue for much longer. If they can't grow its market share to the point of at least no-losses, they'll kill it.
What do you prefer? WP living with Android apps, or WP dead? That's the question you should ask yourselves.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't get the problem of having Android apps running on WP. And I always feel like hitting with a chair the person that says "Android apps = Malware". That's the same that saying "Windows programs = malware" and equally stupid.

Of course there's malware on Android. That's the price you pay for having an open source OS. Just like there's Malware on Windows. In either case, you only get the malware if you're reckless in your use of technology. If you try to pirate apps, meddle with those shady third party stores or if you're just downright dumb that download anything that has the name you're looking for in the title and don't bother to look at who's publishing it.

At any rate, all Windows Phone Android apps would come from the Windows Store anyway. Which means, they'd be still checked for malware and all of that.
The thing is: WP developers aren't committed to the platform. Microsoft needs apps. They simply have to find a way to bring those apps in. Is it a sign of capitulation of WP? Yeah. But then again, it's not worse than stale sales or inability to grow market share. Because ultimately, Microsoft shareholders will NOT allow Windows Phone to continue for much longer. If they can't grow its market share to the point of at least no-losses, they'll kill it.
What do you prefer? WP living with Android apps, or WP dead? That's the question you should ask yourselves.

Given the question I would say dead. Effectively it would be dead as a platform. Windows Phone then becomes just another competitor for android and that battle has already been won by Samsung and believe me, they have the weapons, talent and money, should they choose to use them to take on a "failed" platform Windows Phone in their own arena. Which means the alternatives that remain, IOS or Android. But I'm not yet ready to become a pallbearer because the new CEO lacks the vision or confidence to make this platform succeed in the mobile space. Moreover I can't yet believe the board selected him for the express purpose of dismantling Windows Phone. I much rather it go into hibernation than be kept afloat by android. I love the platform too much.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I think what people are failing to realize is that windows phones top priority right now needs to be apps and getting app support. It's clear that the way they are doing it now is not working, so if they don't do something like this now, then the platform is going to continue its slow death spiral. It's pretty obvious most debs don't care about windows phone right now. So MS needs to adapt to that.

They can then differentiate themselves by doing things like better office integration, better accessibility with MS services, and closer tie ins with XBOX or your remote PC.

And honestly, android malware is largely overblown.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
There's nothing more annoying than dealing with Android UI elements on a non Android device. I've dealt with it on Blackberry. I was excited for Android Apps on Blackberry until I actually used some. You can't even use the full functionality of some Apps due to the restrictions that Blackberry places on them. I think that has improved over time, but Windows is even more closed than Blackberry. I don't see this being a pleasant experience.

For every App that initially launches as an Android App and over time, go towards native code, just as many Apps choose to go the easy way and skip native code and give us an Android App just so we have something and shut up.

I don't like it. Once Windows and WP are more unified, we will get the Apps.

tohoshinki

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I think this is a great move. Developers really haven't produced the kind of apps Windows Phone needs to succeed. Huge apps like eBay, Spotify, Pandora and Instagram all SUCK on WP compared to other platforms. There are countless other examples not counting the apps that simply aren't available. I love windows phone for how it works, not for the apps. I like it for the things wp7 did better than its competitors. Start screen, no-lag, great camera, keyboard, windows integration, speed etc.

Nadella wants Microsoft to be fully cross platform. While Apple and Google are trying to lock you in, MS services work flawlessly across every platform.

If Microsoft really wants to kick some ***, it'll release an XBOX api for android games, and provide a way for android apps to pin content to the start screen.

If Microsoft has a bigger presence on android devices and boosts their own platform, they'll give themselves a huge leg up.

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
This will be an end of WP. No one will produce apps if you can get all Android apps on your phone. And believe me all those apps won't run as good as native WP apps do So you will get crappies experience from WP phones with Android apps! A lot of WP developers will leave OS and move to iOS or Android.

Microsoft, is this your feature? Thats how you show that you are making mistake by mistake with your own OS? Fine, then your OS will be dead

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro