I Have to Say That After 4 Years with WINDOWS Phone...

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
...I've decided not to make the move to Apple or Android. ha ha
I just wanted to let you all know because, deep down, I understand that you all really care about my mobile device decisions, as well as the decisions regarding mobile devices of others on this forum. My decision to announce my choice to not leave Windows Phone came about after reading the numerous tear-jerking tales of Windows Phone misery...the unfulfilled app store, the carrier-specific models, the rumored Lumina Android phone, Microsoft's apparent inability to please the ever so deserving and increasingly demanding WP loyalists in a timely manner, etc. So, I thought to myself, "It's my turn ". I'd like to continue with a descriptive explanation of why I came to my decision to not leave Windows Phone. First off, a little history detailing my relationship with Windows Phone. I want to make it clear that I have been a Windows Phone loyalist since the day the Samsung Focus was released on AT&T. A year later, I was sporting an HTC Titan. Soon after that, the HTC Titan II made its way into my hands. Then, the Lumia 900, Samsung Focus Flash, Lumia 920, 620, HTC 8X, Lumia 1520, and 1320. And yes...wait for it...I loved them all. In fact, I still do. Sure, some of them were better than others, and let's not forget the WP7.8 fiasco that left me feeling abandoned and cold. I mean how could a huge, money-making machine like MS leave me out in the cold like that? I digress. I've really enjoyed all of the Windows Phones that I've owned. The app store still kinda sucks, but it is steadily improving, and doesn't suck nearly as bad as it did last year. Carrier exclusives are still with us, but they seem to be going away in the near future. A well-armed gang of WP forum thugs/fanboys/fangirls has formed ready to attack or troll the ios and Android forums. I mean, obviously, things are looking up for the little os that could that is WP. So, after juggling all of this progress, I've decided not to leave Windows Phone. It's definitely not the best phone os (opinion), but each Windows Phone that I've owned has fit my needs...and that's all that really matters. I'm sure my sarcasm will be overlooked by a few people, so I apologize in advance. I just thought I'd throw a little humor into the mix. Plus, I'm tired of seeing posts about a particular person leaving WP. Do people actually think we need to know this? ha ha Maybe I'm just a bit too cynical.

Posted from a little cabin on the summit of Olympus Mons.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Someday soon, I am posting I am leaving WP just because Android has a cooler mascot and I will see who falls for it. :evil:

I am feeling as though WP is in fine shape. Not a position of strength, not a sure thing, and not the only option unless you hate mobile: Just a still promising, developing future and it is building a nice fan base that is growing in the area of 1% - 1.5% a year in sales after a miserable start in 2010-11.

I am glad for sarcasm and that you are staying.

And that is one HECK of a list of phones. By now, one would guess you could decide if you liked it or not....

vilmusius

May 17, 2014
Visit site
Good for you 😊 I also do not understand what the fuss is about. I am very new to the platform, but loving it. Just like for you, for me windows phone suits my needs perfectly and frankly, after iOS, very refreshing.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
As long as Microsoft will support WP, I'll stick too, Scienceguy.

It certainly doesn't help when WP users are trying to kill it in little ways. Yesterday, an article titled "Windows Phone store is a ghost town" was picked up by Techmeme. It was written by a WP user who, in his article, claims he wants to see WP succeed. People who do have a voice should be more careful. People browsing Techmeme or their RSS feed will see that title, have confirmation of the "fact," and keep right on going. When it comes time to choose a new phone, they won't even look at WP because the WP store is a ghost town. They read it on the internet so it must be true.

I am a live tile junky and, I believe, more productive because of my addiction. Every time I see a screen shot of an Android or iPhone start screen, I shudder at the thought of all that wasted space surrounding the icons they use to drill down to what the user wants.

If the mothership can make the universal OS a reality, with apps working on every device that runs Windows, devs would be crazy to not climb on board.

Keep the faith.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I've never had an Android phone or an iPhone, or even a Blackberry. Being in the U.S., this doesn't seem very common. Prior to Windows Phone, I had 2 Windows Mobile devices, and before that a Symbian device (and before that dumbphones). My Windows phones were Samsung Focus, Lumia 900, Lumia 920, and now Lumia 1520. So about 4 years for me too, or around 7 years if you count Windows Mobile. I have an iPad Mini so I have pretty good idea of what the iPhone experience is like, but I rarely carry it with me because it doesn't provide me with much added benefit. I don't understand what the appeal is. Sure, there are more apps, but most of them I have absolutely no use for, and the UI is just boring. The hype over Apple products is very much exaggerated. Also Android is just too unstable and too fragmented. I've known many people to have phones that consistently crashed. When I'm on the go, I want my device to just work. While I've been considering buying a device such as a Nexus 7 to play around with and familiarize myself with the OS, it's not something I would want as a daily driver and to carry with me on a regular basis because Windows Phone is perfect for that purpose.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Someday soon, I am posting I am leaving WP just because Android has a cooler mascot and I will see who falls for it. :evil:

I am feeling as though WP is in fine shape. Not a position of strength, not a sure thing, and not the only option unless you hate mobile: Just a still promising, developing future and it is building a nice fan base that is growing in the area of 1% - 1.5% a year in sales after a miserable start in 2010-11.

I am glad for sarcasm and that you are staying.

And that is one HECK of a list of phones. By now, one would guess you could decide if you liked it or not....

Ha ha. I'm sure you'd bring the hate if you left for the little android dude. lol
I agree though. I really like WP, and I hope and feel that it will be around for the long haul. But that doesn''t mean that I have to hate everything else. Except for Apple...I work with a lady who uses an iPhone. Really don't like her...iPhone is just guilty by association. lol

And yeah, I have an unhealthy obsession with trying out all the WPs that I can. ha ha

Miska Hietala

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I agree that WP just works. And then there is integrated some clever stuff in OS which makes this even sweeter. Now on 8.1 DP and have had some crashes and sod's but I guess it's part of the preview...
Sent from my NeverAndroidAgain**1020** via Tapatalk

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
As long as Microsoft will support WP, I'll stick too, Scienceguy.

It certainly doesn't help when WP users are trying to kill it in little ways. Yesterday, an article titled "Windows Phone store is a ghost town" was picked up by Techmeme. It was written by a WP user who, in his article, claims he wants to see WP succeed. People who do have a voice should be more careful. People browsing Techmeme or their RSS feed will see that title, have confirmation of the "fact," and keep right on going. When it comes time to choose a new phone, they won't even look at WP because the WP store is a ghost town. They read it on the internet so it must be true.

I am a live tile junky and, I believe, more productive because of my addiction. Every time I see a screen shot of an Android or iPhone start screen, I shudder at the thought of all that wasted space surrounding the icons they use to drill down to what the user wants.

If the mothership can make the universal OS a reality, with apps working on every device that runs Windows, devs would be crazy to not climb on board.

Keep the faith.

I agree. Unfortunately, the opinions of some become the facts of others. From the beginning, misinformation, it seems, has played a large part in the slow adoption of Windows Phones, in my opinion...this is not a fact. ha ha Just what I think. There are other reasons, I'm sure, but even the sales reps at my AT&T store and the local Best Buy still have no idea what they are taking about when I ask them about WP. lol Really sad.

Kenneth Fossum

May 31, 2014
Visit site
After 1 year on the WP platform I will....well...I don't know. I left the Android world and replaced Google services with the MS equivalents. For the most part it is okay - don't get me started on XBM though...

Missing a few key apps. Overall sub par app quality. Good device (L925). Waiting on the Onedrive/XBM locker service. If that doesn't happen anytime soon I am gone. I will go with the platform that works with me not against me.

That LG G3 sure looks nice...

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
After 1 year on the WP platform I will....well...I don't know. I left the Android world and replaced Google services with the MS equivalents. For the most part it is okay - don't get me started on XBM though...

Missing a few key apps. Overall sub par app quality. Good device (L925). Waiting on the Onedrive/XBM locker service. If that doesn't happen anytime soon I am gone. I will go with the platform that works with me not against me.

That LG G3 sure looks nice...

Did you happen to read the original post in this thread?
:smile:

winboy

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I have always been a big fan of Microsoft since the days of MSDOS. I had Android phones, they were ok but I always felt that something was missing and when I switched to WP, I felt like I came home, very comforting feeling and it has everything I need/want and felt nothing missing like I felt with Android. I HATE apple, never used them and never will.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
610-head-in-hands-man-frustrated-laptop.jpg

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I truly believe the future of WP is bright. Some one above mentioned that WP "is in fine shape. . Not a position of strength." Although I agree is some way I don't think this will last long. MS now knows it have to work faster and bring better products. Plus with all the partners that has been releasing new WP devices the playfield is getting level, and this has been just the unknown companies to many of us. But LG, HTC and other heavy duties are working in WP devices. What this mean is that people will be expose to more WP and that is always good.

BitPusher2600

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I wish Samsung would hop on it a little more too. I'm just crazy about my Neo, and they made that quad-core for Verizon, but anyway, yes, the list of manufacturers making WP's is more than we can count on one hand, that's a valid little "plus" is it not?

pahutakz

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
What this mean is that people will be expose to more WP and that is always good.

Well it is WP will be expose but the problem are those resellers who just ignore and suggest them not to buy WP as what I observed here in the Phillipines. But most of my classmates gettin jelous because I own Lumia device.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
So all I got from that OP is you are bragging about how many WP you had. I want to chime in too..
Samsung Focus
HTC Titan
Lumia 800
Lumia 900
Lumia 710
Lumia 920
Lumia 925
Lumia 720
Lumia 1020
Lumia 1320
Lumia 630

​I win.