Like many of you, I joined the preview for developers program as soon as I found out about it. I've really enjoyed it. However, after reading through some of the Cyan update threads, I've noticed lots of complaints about how Microsoft has added nothing really new or different from the WP8.1 Development Preview version to the release with the Cyan firmware. I, for one, enjoy WP8.1, and am not expecting anything different once Cyan is released for my phone (AT&T 1520). The fact that the preview version really is the official release version has been mentioned many times by the writers on WPCentral. So, I'm not sure why I'm seeing so many complaints.
    Anyway, I'm beginning to wonder if releasing a preview update might have some negative impacts on Windows Phone and the opinions by some of their update methods. By the time the official release shows up, I think that some people using the development preview are already used to/bored with the "new " update, and want an even newer update. What do you all think?

Posted from a little cabin on the summit of Olympus Mons.
    07-16-2014 09:36 AM
    The threads you are talking about mostly are users who wanted the "firmware" update + all those hardware exclusive features. This isn't the first time forums have gone vocal after an update. This happens every time. Amber, Black, Cyan... all the same. Users need to understand that Cyan is more of behind the scenes update and then Nokia unlocks features that are handset-specific. So although, everyone with Cyan should have their battery, WiFi, bluetooth, touch screen and volume issues fixed - it won't add anything new unless they have a device that supports unlocked features.

One of the "features" for example was Creative Studio 6 with Cyan. Now that is a bluff. I don't have Cyan and I just downloaded Creative Studio 6 on my Lumia 1320. So, with time users will learn - same as "hard reset once you install DP8.1" was learnt only after nearly a month. This is WPCentral, we are loud.
    07-16-2014 09:43 AM
    Ahoy professor ! I have to agree with you over here. Peeps were expecting living images , folder support and don't know what more imaginative from cyan firmware update. s the name says FIRMWARE it should bring under the hood optimizations where as OS update should bring OS level updates , features. Back on living images if one saw the cyan video posted on Microsoft website it says "Currently available for Lumia 1520 and 930" By currently they mean to expand it in future. Though it was available in previous nokia camera update but they might further refine it for other Lumia devices(Lumia 520 and other). lastly folks here were hoping to get new lock screen . Again this a OS level tweak/app which firmware will never bundle. Joe from Microsoft twitted that it will be made available for 1GB devices soon and later for 512MB devices by optimizing it. Oh yes writers posted many time that the current developer preview update is the final update. those who have enrolled in developer preview program and enjoying windows phone 8.1 will get the firmware update since they are already running and enjoying windows phone 8.1. besides that one should know that cyan update enabled Bluetooth LE. fix Wi-Fi , battery and other annoying issues.
    07-16-2014 09:46 AM
    DP may not be any different from the actual Cyan update. You can keep it if you want, but I am thinking you may not be able to get future updates if you don't have the official release installed.

DP is not meant to be used as a permanent update. The only reason I see why it was released is so that MS can tweak it and fix the bugs quickly with the help of the people who installed it. It may be exactly the same as the official 8.1 release but there will be no further updates on DP unless you install the official Cyan update.
    07-16-2014 09:53 AM
    I guess we can some up by saying :

1. People don't read about the updates and how they relate to their particular devices.
    2. The expectations of some WP users are way too high.

07-16-2014 09:57 AM
    DP may not be any different from the actual Cyan update. You can keep it if you want, but I am thinking you may not be able to get future updates if you don't have the official release installed.

DP is not meant to be used as a permanent update. The only reason I see why it was released is so that MS can tweak it and fix the bugs quickly with the help of the people who installed it. It may be exactly the same as the official 8.1 release but there will be no further updates on DP unless you install the official Cyan update.
    yup if Microsoft seeds a new update on their servers you will first have to install the firmware since this is the next update your phone is asking for. You may pause the update from installing but you can not install next upcoming updates until unless you install cyan firmware.
    Guytronic and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-16-2014 09:57 AM
    And now we have the flash back to WP8 fiasco happening.
    07-16-2014 10:27 PM
    Like many of you, I joined the preview for developers program as soon as I found out about it. I've really enjoyed it. However, after reading through some of the Cyan update threads, I've noticed lots of complaints about how Microsoft has added nothing really new or different from the WP8.1 Development Preview version to the release with the Cyan firmware. I, for one, enjoy WP8.1, and am not expecting anything different once Cyan is released for my phone (AT&T 1520). The fact that the preview version really is the official release version has been mentioned many times by the writers on WPCentral. So, I'm not sure why I'm seeing so many complaints.
    Anyway, I'm beginning to wonder if releasing a preview update might have some negative impacts on Windows Phone and the opinions by some of their update methods. By the time the official release shows up, I think that some people using the development preview are already used to/bored with the "new " update, and want an even newer update. What do you all think?

I doubt if the Preview for Developers will have much impact at all on the general public outside of enthusiasts on sites such as this one. It's really not all that different from the betas, RCs and RTMs of desktop Windows. The general public typically did not run any of the early versions of desktop Windows either.
    07-16-2014 10:39 PM
    True. I guess we are sort of in our own little world here. Good to have my perspective broadened a bit. Thanks. :)
    07-16-2014 10:45 PM
    yup if Microsoft seeds a new update on their servers you will first have to install the firmware since this is the next update your phone is asking for. You may pause the update from installing but you can not install next upcoming updates until unless you install cyan firmware.
    Doubt it, OS updates have never been dependent in that way and are in fact cumulative so you don't have to install each and every one, they'll be included in the very latest. Just like now with the DP all the firmware will add is optimizations and updated drivers, OS updates should be available if you're getting them through future dev previews.

Lumia 810 users are a prime example, didn't get the black firmware but can get WP 8.1.
    07-16-2014 10:50 PM
    Doubt it, OS updates have never been dependent in that way and are in fact cumulative so you don't have to install each and every one, they'll be included in the very latest. Just like now with the DP all the firmware will add is optimizations and updated drivers, OS updates should be available if you're getting them through future dev previews.

Lumia 810 users are a prime example, didn't get the black firmware but can get WP 8.1.
    If there are fixes for Cyan, I doubt DP will get it. Support for DP probably ended after Cyan's release.
    07-17-2014 06:36 AM