Do you have a smartphone addiction?

dkhmwilliams

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
How many of you feel like you are addicted to smartphones? I have long felt that I did. Having 30+ smartphones in the last 4 years. Although, I have slowed down considerably this year. Have had my iPhone 5S for three months now!

Sent from my iPad Air. Simply better than the rest.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
30+ smartphones in 4 years??? 😲 Okay, I thought I was bad. I currently have 5 smartphones and got the first of those 5 three years ago. iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 810, 920 and 925 and an HTC One (M7) here, by the way.

stenson625

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
How many of you feel like you are addicted to smartphones? I have long felt that I did. Having 30+ smartphones in the last 4 years. Although, I have slowed down considerably this year. Have had my iPhone 5S for three months now!

You are probably so addicted like everyone else that regularly check wp central. It is horrible and I am learning to keep out from my phone and interact with real people in real life form. So tired of technological life, but can't quit because it is sweet and bitter at the same time 😊! # Addiction

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
While I can't agree that iPad Air would be simply better than the rest, but on the actual topic I guess by your standards I don't have. I pretty much get a new phone every 2 years (and thats not cos of any 2 year plans, I buy my phones unlocked). It seems like a pretty decent time span for one phone to me. With my N8 before my Lumia 920 I had it closer to 2? years, as I was waiting for 920 to release. Currently then again I'm sorta eyeballing at getting a 930 even if my 920 is just 1? years old.

But point being, my typical update interval is between 1? and 2? years.

If we're talking about smartphone addiction in general, I couldn't really live without my smartphone. Luckily I don't have to. I don't really know if it's an addiction per se, I feel it's more like there is no reason to not have a smartphone (except if you just dont have the money to spare). While given, it has it's downsides too (group of friends in a restaurant all staring at their phones, etc), but it makes so much things in our life easier. I guess it's kind of like.. if my head hurts, I'll take a painkiller. I have no principle against painkillers, but that doesn't mean I'm addicted to them. There's just no real point in not using the technology to our advantage.

dkhmwilliams

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
30+ 4 years WOW. Which one was your favourite in those 4 years ? :smile:

I don't know which one is my favorite. The phone that I have had the longest in the four years was the Nexus S. I believe I used it for 5 months. Most smartphones I have owned have only lasted a month.

dkhmwilliams

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
While I can't agree that iPad Air would be simply better than the rest, but on the actual topic I guess by your standards I don't have. I pretty much get a new phone every 2 years (and thats not cos of any 2 year plans, I buy my phones unlocked). It seems like a pretty decent time span for one phone to me. With my N8 before my Lumia 920 I had it closer to 2? years, as I was waiting for 920 to release. Currently then again I'm sorta eyeballing at getting a 930 even if my 920 is just 1? years old.

But point being, my typical update interval is between 1? and 2? years.

If we're talking about smartphone addiction in general, I couldn't really live without my smartphone. Luckily I don't have to. I don't really know if it's an addiction per se, I feel it's more like there is no reason to not have a smartphone (except if you just dont have the money to spare). While given, it has it's downsides too (group of friends in a restaurant all staring at their phones, etc), but it makes so much things in our life easier. I guess it's kind of like.. if my head hurts, I'll take a painkiller. I have no principle against painkillers, but that doesn't mean I'm addicted to them. There's just no real point in not using the technology to our advantage.

You make a good point. Some could be addicted to using their smartphones instead of just buying them like me.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I had a PDA addiction because phones were out of my grasp, even the old Treos until a couple years ago.
I probably had ~15+ devices in my hands since maybe 7 years ago. Mostly Palm's.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

30 in 4 years is impressive. I've had between 50-60 (including repeats of the same model) in under 10 years, with 20% of them being a Blackberry. And I can name them all (even opened a thread here in WPCentral with my list. 😉. Yup, I've slowed down too.

hidayat225

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Wow that's impressive, after I sold my S3, I bought a 520, 820, 720 and a 920. So 4 phones in 2 year.

As for smartphone addiction, I try to use it sparingly but it is always so tempting especially when I'm about to go to sleep. Smartphones need to dieeeeeeee. lol.

dkhmwilliams

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
30 in 4 years is impressive. I've had between 50-60 (including repeats of the same model) in under 10 years, with 20% of them being a Blackberry. And I can name them all (even opened a thread here in WPCentral with my list. . Yup, I've slowed down too.

I didn't count the repeats. That would make it a depressing number. I'm on my fifth 5S, I have had 4 Note 3s, 2 Nexus 5s, at least 4 iPhone 5s, Galaxy Nexus 4 times, you get the idea. I wouldn't want to know what the number would look like then.

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I've had 114 (not 14) phones since 2006. Ya
I can compare pretty much any mobile experience or device at this point.

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I didn't count the repeats. That would make it a depressing number. I'm on my fifth 5S, I have had 4 Note 3s, 2 Nexus 5s, at least 4 iPhone 5s, Galaxy Nexus 4 times, you get the idea. I wouldn't want to know what the number would look like then.

Ok. So if I don't count the repeats, then it's 50 for me.

aa125690

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
You are probably so addicted like everyone else that regularly check wp central. It is horrible and I am learning to keep out from my phone and interact with real people in real life form. So tired of technological life, but can't quit because it is sweet and bitter at the same time 😊! # Addiction

How ironic it is that one of Microsoft's original advertising ideas for Windows Phone (as a recall) was that it allows people to live real lives and get far from phone...

I used to be addicted to ROM baking/cooking in the Windows Mobile 6.x era, and then I quitted using pocket PC phones (well, in nowadays' sense, 'smartphones') for two years and a half. Now that I'm back to Windows Phone 8, I've found myself constantly going back to WPCentral and all the other apps in my phone every spare minute I have when my phone is in reachable distance. I guess the only cure for my addiction to smartphones is to quit owning them!

osars ehi

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site

Oh yes I do....i really need help, its not healthy at all. 😊

Big Tali

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Most smartphones I have owned have only lasted a month.
Wow.. after a month the phone is still new. I wouldn't buy another smartphone right now. I'd like to upgrade to a high-end one, but my Lumia 520 is still young and doing this thing, so I don't need another one.

By the way, I didn't like smartphones, I didn't (and I still don't) like the way they "control" people's lives, but after I tried one I noticed it helps me with my international connections (I'm an Italian music producer, working with American artists).

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Do you have a smartphone addiction?
Maybe in a small way now that I found the WP.

Wow.. after a month the phone is still new. I wouldn't buy another smartphone right now. I'd like to upgrade to a high-end one, but my Lumia 520 is still young and doing this thing, so I don't need another one.

By the way, I didn't like smartphones, I didn't (and I still don't) like the way they "control" people's lives, but after I tried one I noticed it helps me with my international connections (I'm an Italian music producer, working with American artists).
:smile:
I was going to post almost the same sentiment except I'm always looking for a different Windows powered portable device.
Had very little interest in an expensive or any smartphone till I tripped on the T-Mobile 521...

I'm more of a gadget addict I guess...
Then again the smartphone is the ultimate gadget!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
An addiction is something that can be curbed with therapy (AA, etc.). What ails me is more like satanic possession. My head starts spinning every time I see a new phone or OS - and I MUST HAVE IT!!!!!!!

​I don't gamble, don't cheat, quit drinking and I don't do drugs. In other words, the wife is powerless to stop me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss