Nokia X DEAD! Does it mean Lumia carries the Android OS further?

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
4. MS shares shoot up at an all time 49 year hike..

Sent from iCeborg's iPad.

Hey you might be right!

a9ynytys.jpg

Firing lowly employees is good for the rich share holders !

Mavee Shah

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Asha and dumb phones are also dead. It's all WP now.

Microsoft paid $7 billion for 12.500 employees and the Lumia brand. Lenovo bought Motorola for just $3 billion.

Cause of their loyal fans and followers...Nokia was 1000 time more popular brand than Motorola
Motorola had not that much share of it's own kind of phones(means Droid /Android) Nokia had 90% share of WP

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I always hated the idea of Nokia X and I'm glad they are shifting focus. If they are shifting the Nokia X design to Lumia and putting on WP, does this mean that existing Nokia X phones could get an update to WP as well or at least the ability to flash WP on them and start from scratch? I wonder.

They didn't let any of their existing loyal customers upgrade their devices from WP7 to WP8. What makes you think that they would let people upgrade their X devices to WP8?

werner6769

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I am so pleased to hear this. I've said it before, the last thing the market needs is another android phone! Good news for all WP developers.

winrayjay99

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
No matter how we look at this. People are still not going believe Microsoft is going to promote development on windows phone, and make some Android emulator. I think the moves being made currently by Setya Nidella is very good, and may help all of Microsoft's divisions. I mean look at Xbox they are focusing more on games and less on original tv show's. Microsoft needs to compete stronger. Supporting Windows more and not forking Android is the only way.

LockOnTech

May 3, 2014
Visit site
To another form of news like the previous post, Asha and S40 are going to be gone. Sad, but understanding; I still have a Nokia C3-00 i bought in 2009, and I liked the phone. It is now just collecting dust.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
So, I get that from a usability standpoint it's good they stuck with WP, but that still doesn't solve the app problem. At least going android they would get a lot more apps.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I spoke to some friend and there seems to be some mass-aversion policy towards Windows Phone. She asked me what phone and the moment I said Windows Phone, she said no no...and you know the funniest part? She wants to buy a new phone cause her current Xperia L P C T P whatever is so sluggish and slow...BUT STILL she doesn't mind an Android. This is more bizarre and complex than quantum physics. You have a phone, which is a living example of how horrible this OS is, but STILL want another one of the same kind. I JUST don't get it. I finally gave up. I said, it was futile asking for my opinion.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Let your friend try Windows Phone. Who knows, she might like it.

Seriously, a lot of people are hating WP without even trying to use it.

That's the problem mate...they JUST don't want to pick it up. The moment you utter "Windows Phon...." They are shaking their head violently...and believe me, every single one who has used it after the initial stage of skepticism, have never gone back to anything else. Definitely not Android. But it's that first level they need to cross..

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
That's the problem mate...they JUST don't want to pick it up. The moment you utter "Windows Phon...." They are shaking their head violently...and believe me, every single one who has used it after the initial stage of skepticism, have never gone back to anything else. Definitely not Android. But it's that first level they need to cross..

I think your making some assumptions that anyone who uses WO for a good amount never goes back to anything else. I know that I used WP for about a month and had to go back to iOS because of apps.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I think your making some assumptions that anyone who uses WO for a good amount never goes back to anything else. I know that I used WP for about a month and had to go back to iOS because of apps.

I said surely not going back to Android. And secondly, yes, Apps is the reason they backtrack, NOT the OS itself. People LOVE WP. Believe me. But it's the "app-gap" that makes them go scattering for alternatives. ..

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Well Good decision.they might have considered it but then decided it was the wrong path to chose.
Anyway great decision.wp deserves to live on.hopefully from now on we get the Microsoft apps first. Skype ....😄

Residing

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site

Why do you identify your phone as 'Windows Phone'? Technically, you DON'T have a Windows Phone...you have a Nokia Lumia (or Samsung ATIV, or HTC 8x).

I will NEVER, nor have I ever, identified my device to anyone by saying it's a Windows Phone (because it isn't). And yes, people want to hold and use my phone (both my Lumia 900 and Lumia 1020).

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
IMO, it's decisions like the Nokia X that led to Nokia losing the smartphone market and being bought out by Microsoft. The Nokia X is a directionless, poorly thought out phone with little hope of succeeding. That was Nokia before selling out. They had too many phones, too many OSs and no idea which direction they wanted (or needed) to go. It's no surprise that Nokia's first post-Windows Phone device turned out to be a complete mess. I'm glad Microsoft isn't dealing with this headache anymore.

On the opposite. Things "like the Nokia X" has nothing to do with Nokia's downfall in the handset space. That has to do with poor management and other administrator decisions.

Nokia X was a briliant move by Nokia to force MS to buy the handset division. Most likely they had a full Android device in the works also (I would have, ready to announce as soon as the exclusitivity ends!). This should be clear to everyone now as more and more sales numbers are poping up. WP is not doing good and Nokia to get the price what they did is amazing. Seriously, the handset division was and is a piece of **** business. Most likely MS would have had easier job on starting with one Surface phone and build it from there vs. making the bought division profidable. Nokia just had palyed their cards so well (well, of course after they ****ed up big time to get themself in the mess they were), that MS had no other choise then buy. Nokia was able to dictate good conditions, no make it VERY good condtions. This of course was due to Nokia dominance in the WP space, if Nokia would have gone Android after the exclusivity ended, it would have been bye bye WP.

I have a feeling that you will read about this play by Nokia later in the business education books. First chapter is about one of the biggest fall's in the history; by mr. Ollila and mr. Kallasmaa and how they ruined the whole company and the second about how mr. Siilasmaa and the rest of the board played so they forced Microsoft to buy pile of ****. Damn they got good conditions..... Seriously, they kept everything thats worth any money.. LOL the name, the patents, NSN, everything... Whoaaaaaa.

What would be nice to know are full facts and numbers. Could Nokia have gone the Android route in the beginning rather than WP? There are so many things to consider in this scenario, like Here for example (google would have done everything probably to destroy the only real competiton to google maps). Also the amounts MS paid to support Nokia with WP were most likely crucial on supporting Nokia between the transition.

Lol, I wonder how early they knew about the total destruction of Symbian, Im sure it was wayyyy sooner than many think. They knew they were in some deepest fking **** ever.

Last edited:

AndyM72

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
So, I get that from a usability standpoint it's good they stuck with WP, but that still doesn't solve the app problem. At least going android they would get a lot more apps.

Why are their still people on this forum that don't get it? MS buying Nokia has sod all to do with more apps, less apps, whatever.

When "Nokia Devices and Services" (now Microsoft Mobile Oy) was part of Nokia, their focus was to make money by selling hardware. Hence the Nokia X was cooked up, it was a way to sell more Nokia hardware. Just like Series 40 on Asha was.

Microsoft bought "Nokia Devices and Services", because it was the leading hardware supporter of their Mobile OS and Services ecosystem, 9 out of 10 Windows Phones sold is a Lumia, and there was a (perceived) threat that Nokia might focus less on the MS ecosystem in the search for more hardware sales.

From Microsoft's point of view, the only thing they wanted Microsoft Mobile Oy for, what the new focus of that part of Microsoft now is, is to support and add value to the rest of the Microsoft Software Ecosystem. So anything that isn't doing that, is getting chopped.

There is absolutely no logical reason for Microsoft to keep that other stuff around. It clearly never wanted those parts of Nokia Devices and Services. I'm sure Nokia told MS "so you want to buy just our Lumia division? You can't. You have to buy the whole handset division, or the deal is off".

So yes, that $7 Billion was to buy parts of another company that MS didn't want and had every intention to shut down as soon as they had full control. It was money down the pan, and MS knew that, but they were played. MS only wanted Lumia. Some Nokia X hardware designs are close enough to the needs of Windows Phone that they can easily be repurposed as Lumias, without wasting the work already done, so that's a partial recovery of value from the parts of Microsoft Mobile Oy that are being shut down, and selling off MixRadio will recover a bit more.

Personally, since it was probably Elop that did this hardball play with Microsoft, I'm amazed Microsoft hired him back, I know he's ex MS coming back to the fold, but how could they continue to trust such a backstabber? Watch for 18 months time when Asha and X hit end of life of support, expect Elop to leave MS to "seek new challenges" or "spend more time with his family". He's probably pocketed enough cash not to have to work again...

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Personally, since it was probably Elop that did this hardball play with Microsoft,

Thats a common mistake people do with big companies. The biggest power in the company is held by the board. Mr. Siilasmaa is the one who ultimately played the hardball here.

Of course you have stronger CEO's, like Jobs for example, but ultimately its the board who can fire the CEO, not the other way around.

One thing to think about however is the decision on hiring Elop in the first place, done by the board of course. But Im sure they didnt have too many options... Who would have wanted to hop on to that sinking ship?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos