Nokia X DEAD! Does it mean Lumia carries the Android OS further?

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I was excited when Nokia had previewed X series phones but later realized that its not going to be future-safe after MS acquired Nokia. It was bound to happen. Yet, Nokia did a great job by amalgamating AOSP with MS services. MS should continue their support to X series and should also expand it with new models, but Alas!

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Very interesting! Especially with all the gloom going around this place since Android stepped into Microsoft's world.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
IMO, it's decisions like the Nokia X that led to Nokia losing the smartphone market and being bought out by Microsoft. The Nokia X is a directionless, poorly thought out phone with little hope of succeeding. That was Nokia before selling out. They had too many phones, too many OSs and no idea which direction they wanted (or needed) to go. It's no surprise that Nokia's first post-Windows Phone device turned out to be a complete mess. I'm glad Microsoft isn't dealing with this headache anymore.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
IMO, it's decisions like the Nokia X that led to Nokia losing the smartphone market and being bought out by Microsoft. The Nokia X is a directionless, poorly thought out phone with little hope of succeeding. That was Nokia before selling out. They had too many phones, too many OSs and no idea which direction they wanted (or needed) to go. It's no surprise that Nokia's first post-Windows Phone device turned out to be a complete mess. I'm glad Microsoft isn't dealing with this headache anymore.

If I remember correctly they had Lumia phones for years before releasing Nokia X in February 2014. So it might have been rather last glimmer of hope before they were bought by Microsoft, not a mistake that led to the acquisition by Microsoft.

My general thought: They now try to do what they already did when Nokia was still separated, pushing the low-end market while releasing some lukewarm high-end devices from time to time, only with half the people that were working on it before.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully this will put a stop to all those BS rumours about a Lumia Android smartphone.....
WP is here to stay. Get used to it!!!!

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft kills off its Nokia Android phones | The Verge

Or does it mean it kills the entire Android unit?

Well now that's interesting.

1 nokia makes android variant...
2 Microsoft says wp will run android apps
3 Microsoft fires 18k-30k employees ( depending on sources)
4 .....?

I bet it's a very interesting time for those employees at microkia wondering if they have a job or a pink slip right now.

Will they turn to android apps development to fill the paycheck gap (since they will possibly run on wp), or just five up and try out some kick starter money schemes?

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I always hated the idea of Nokia X and I'm glad they are shifting focus. If they are shifting the Nokia X design to Lumia and putting on WP, does this mean that existing Nokia X phones could get an update to WP as well or at least the ability to flash WP on them and start from scratch? I wonder.

AndyM72

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft kills off its Nokia Android phones | The Verge

Or does it mean it kills the entire Android unit?

Can you not understand what is meant here:

Microsoft shifting select Nokia X product designs to Windows Phone | Windows Phone Central
"In addition, we plan to shift select Nokia X product designs to become Lumia products running Windows. This builds on our success in the affordable smartphone space and aligns with our focus on Windows Universal Apps."

It means that some hardware designs that would have run Android will be modified, and will come to market as Lumias running Windows Phone. It means Lumia = Windows Phone. And it also means no more Android based phones (actually, no more Android based devices at all) from Microsoft.

The complete B***S*** rumours about Lumias running Android, or running Android apps, was just that, BS.

Nadella has issued a smackdown to all the rumor mongers. Yes, MS will still make apps for Android, and for iOS, and for OS X. Those apps will hook into other MS products and services. That just makes good business sense. But for the platforms and the devices MS is going to ship from this day onwards, they are going to be Windows, Windows and more Windows.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Well now that's interesting.

1 nokia makes android variant...
2 Microsoft says wp will run android apps
3 Microsoft fires 18k-30k employees ( depending on sources)
4 .....?

I bet it's a very interesting time for those employees at microkia wondering if they have a job or a pink slip right now.

Will they turn to android apps development to fill the paycheck gap (since they will possibly run on wp), or just five up and try out some kick starter money schemes?

4. MS shares shoot up at an all time 49 year hike..

Sent from iCeborg's iPad.

AndyM72

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I always hated the idea of Nokia X and I'm glad they are shifting focus. If they are shifting the Nokia X design to Lumia and putting on WP, does this mean that existing Nokia X phones could get an update to WP as well or at least the ability to flash WP on them and start from scratch? I wonder.

I think that since the existing X phones use hardware capacitive buttons that don't match the "Back, Windows, Search" buttons of WP, I can't seen the existing 4 X phones getting an update to run WP.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I think that since the existing X phones use hardware capacitive buttons that don't match the "Back, Windows, Search" buttons of WP, I can't seen the existing 4 X phones getting an update to run WP.

That's a good point. There would be no search button. They could potentially add it as a software button, but they probably won't bother. So essentially Nokia X will likely go the way of WP 7.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
If I remember correctly they had Lumia phones for years before releasing Nokia X in February 2014. So it might have been rather last glimmer of hope before they were bought by Microsoft, not a mistake that led to the acquisition by Microsoft.

I'm saying that the X line symbolizes Nokia's problems pre-Lumia/acquisition. Pre-Microsoft Nokia was bloated and directionless. Then Microsoft/Lumia came along and Nokia seemed to be on a steady path. But the second Nokia "went rogue" and produced an Android phone, it, like the company, was bloated and directionless.

Last edited:

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Asha and dumb phones are also dead. It's all WP now.

Microsoft paid $7 billion for 12.500 employees and the Lumia brand. Lenovo bought Motorola for just $3 billion.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I was excited when Nokia had previewed X series phones but later realized that its not going to be future-safe after MS acquired Nokia. It was bound to happen. Yet, Nokia did a great job by amalgamating AOSP with MS services. MS should continue their support to X series and should also expand it with new models, but Alas!

Eh, Nokia X series wasn't really anyone's favorite. It was okay hardware coupled with terrible software in my opinion.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte