Confused what Microsoft are doing

Westarmy

May 24, 2014
Visit site
12,500 Nokia Employees are being sacked, Finland's Finance Minister stated Microsoft betrayed them.

I have to honestly agree, wasn't it Nokia pushing out apps and software, only to be limited by Microsoft's 'laziness' by delaying and delaying and finally... Delaying.

We were expected to receive Lumia Cyan within 2 weeks of July, that's not happened and now its nearing the end of July. Sure they're being tested but taking this long?

I bought a Lumia 1520 back in June, absolutely love it, think its an amazing phone to use and own! But unfortunately it maybe my last Windows Phone.

The reason I state this: Nokia employees aren't really there any more are they? Majority have been sacked! The man behind the PureView and 41MP has departed to Apple. The music and audio side of things are being separated into another company.

So what remains from Nokia acquisition is a mystery, even I have no clue what they have purchased.
Killed off Android X which in fact shipped 10,000,000 units, maybe Nokia decided to stab Microsoft in the back just before the mobile division was taken over.

I'm worried that Microsoft are just going to be careless again... And history may repeat itself. I don't want Android I want the uniqueness of Windows Phone, bring back the integration we had in WP7.

My next phone may become something not mainstream, but right now here's me hoping the Microsoft treat us well.

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
First about Nokia; that was coming sooner than later I know it is hard but necessary. Second, I believe now that MS has finished it restructuring things are going to get better and be out in speedy/faster time. MS just didn't cut people from Nokia, it also did from its own headquarter. What this tells us it that now they are putting their head, time and focus where it suppose to be. MS is getting rid off unnecessary employees and keeping the ones that add value to their vision and if you read carefully most of the cut from Nokia are sadly the low-end employees[assembly], keeping the cream of Nokia brainpower. What I truly believe is that now we are going to see more products, with better quality coming from MS. Changes are hard but necessary and they needed it since long time ago.

EngDreams

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
Nokia was hugely overweight to start with and had itself been making large workforce cuts all along, the delaying tactics are just big business, nothing moves fast like start-ups and smaller operations. Nokia also had their head in the sand for too long sitting pretty thinking they were untouchable. If you go through the cuts not just in Nokia but others like the TV you can see an array of obviously hugely funded but massively lacklustre projects that needed to be cut out. It is pretty obvious where they are setting sail for at the moment and for me for the first time since Bill first gave us Windows I think they have the mix right again, keep in mind these mixes are made for 10-20 year segments not 1-2.

Westarmy

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I hope you guys are right, knowing this phone would last me about 2 years, it could be a different game then, I honestly thought OnePlusOne Phone was going to become big, but it seems they've shot themselves in the foot with this invite only system '-'.

I seriously hope Microsoft will be moving in the right direction, I love the Win8 ecosystem, in my opinion its an absolutely amazing ecosystem but very poorly executed.

Could I ask what may make you leave Windows Phone and Microsoft services?

Chris Wayne2

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
As Satya said, MS needs to focus and cutting off so many people is the way they went for. They fired most of the people running the Nokia X and Asha phones because they don't bring any new costumers to the Windows ecosystem. The guy who went to Apple is one of the 2 guys that came out with the 41mpx idea.

Finally I believe that this is the way Microsoft cleans the company, at the end of the day they are just deleting what's not needed.

But I won't praise M$ either, as I see it right now they are pushing Windows 9 and WP9 as fast as possible because they're seeing the Windows 8 poor commercial performance so I fear that the WP7 to WP8 history will return... And if that's the case then this will be my last year using (and supporting) the windows ecosystem.

Sent from my RM-821_eu_france_267 using Tapatalk

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure why Microsoft firing the manufacturing jobs of the Asha S30, S40, and Nokia X line, yet keeping literally almost everyone from the WP side has remotely anything to do with "the future of WP" besides the fact that Microsoft only has 1 Mobile OS instead of 4 and can thus be more focused on it.

As to Pureview, I hate to burst your bubble, but there wasn't really that much special to the technology. The head leaving for Apple means almost nothing.

Microsoft already has Xbox music, so why would they need to keep Mixradio? It literally makes no sense.

Westarmy

May 24, 2014
Visit site
As Satya said, MS needs to focus and cutting off so many people is the way they went for. They fired most of the people running the Nokia X and Asha phones because they don't bring any new costumers to the Windows ecosystem. The guy who went to Apple is one of the 2 guys that came out with the 41mpx idea.

Finally I believe that this is the way Microsoft cleans the company, at the end of the day they are just deleting what's not needed.

But I won't praise M$ either, as I see it right now they are pushing Windows 9 and WP9 as fast as possible because they're seeing the Windows 8 poor commercial performance so I fear that the WP7 to WP8 history will return... And if that's the case then this will be my last year using (and supporting) the windows ecosystem.

Sent from my RM-821_eu_france_267 using Tapatalk

In regards of Win9

That's exactly what would make me leave windows ecosystem. I understand that they've been trying to make everything universal such as apps working on desktop PCs would work on phones, however that hasn't been the case. Even RT and windows phone hasn't even been merged.

But what's my understanding is with Windows 9 returning with the iconic start button, alongside the classic desktop view rather having metro as default seems like a genuine move from Micro$oft, slowly in my opinion they're repeating history. I am sure a while back they announced they'd be bringing back Windows classic capabilities I.e. The start screen but new leaks show this is definitely in Windows 9.

My fear is... They'll have all these features coming for, windows phone 9 etc etc. But the likelihood of these features working flawlessly would be found in windows phone 8.5

Hint hint Windows phone 7.5

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
In regards of Win9

That's exactly what would make me leave windows ecosystem. I understand that they've been trying to make everything universal such as apps working on desktop PCs would work on phones, however that hasn't been the case. Even RT and windows phone hasn't even been merged.

But what's my understanding is with Windows 9 returning with the iconic start button, alongside the classic desktop view rather having metro as default seems like a genuine move from Micro$oft, slowly in my opinion they're repeating history. I am sure a while back they announced they'd be bringing back Windows classic capabilities I.e. The start screen but new leaks show this is definitely in Windows 9.

My fear is... They'll have all these features coming for, windows phone 9 etc etc. But the likelihood of these features working flawlessly would be found in windows phone 8.5

Windows Threshold: A distinctive new look and a home for Cortana - Neowin

Actually. Windows 9 desktop IS getting a facelift, meaning it'll have a Zune/MS Office 2013 like UI for the desktop for Metro apps

Chris Wayne2

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
In regards of Win9

IDK if that will be the case but it better be it!...

However I don't think that will be the case because devices like the 920 doesn't feel super fast anymore, 8.1 did to WP8 what 7.8 did to WP7.5 performance wise, there are rumours about a new update coming this fall so I believe if first gen WP8 devices ever reach the next major WP version it will be for 1gb+ ram devices only...

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
The reason I state this: Nokia employees aren't really there any more are they? Majority have been sacked!
I believe the team who designed the phone is still there

The man behind the PureView and 41MP has departed to Apple.
Ari Partinen is only one out of many, and he's not the skipper
the chiefs of the team are Juha Alakarhu and Eero Salmelin (cmiiw)
they're the conceptor of the 41 MP and they're still there

Last edited:

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site
As far as I know the older devices will get newer updates. At least Ms said that when they released windows phone 8. That 7.5 to windows 8 thing won't happen again. Windows 8 and 8.1 sets the foundation for windows 9 so it should not be far off except for rt and windows phone merging into one. The full version of windows will see the most changes but the core and app model should be the same across all 3.

Nokia losing employees was necessary while I like Nokia they have lost their innovativeness they had in the past. HTC has boom sound. Samsung has their own screen line and camera tech that is getting close to pure view a little too close. Design wise and spec wise if MS cuts the fat from Nokia they would have more kick arse devices. Hence Microsoft announced that they will be focusing on more high end devices.

Honestly Nokia needs to get back to Excellent audio quality, class leasing stereo speakers like the 6233 back in the day, Exceptional design the 930 is sexy but the HTC one line is taking design away from every one, take Pure view to the next level they already lost one man responsible for it use the new MS has with Canon + Nokia's Pure View team (remaining ones). Heck since Nokia and MS are now one leverage the Surface team and give Samsung a run for its money hello the note is making money MS and Nokia are you listening *million dollar idea here a windows phone with pen support.

As for Microsoft they needed to cut the FAT as well because honestly they are losing their way while Google and Apple are just making their OS connected and seamless with allot of devices and services. Windows is far from that especially since MS were the ones talking about seamless connectivity and one OS for all it before apple and Google started implementing honestly I am impressed with Android L. Considering L left Android to give WP a try Andriod L announcement has me itching to run back but I want MS to succeed. As much is a loved Windows 8 and 8.1 even more *hearts* they both were a mess metro is nice live tiles is nice the Desktop needed an overhaul to match the new UI and Microsoft Failed to do that because they did not want to scare users so familiar with new and confusing. They needed to rip the bandage off completely and changed the desktop as well in windows 9 we should see the metro design language evolve and the desktop should see an overhaul that's familiar new and elegant without making it seem like its a different world from metro/ modern design as modern apps should be windowed in Win 9

Honestly Microsoft made the right call. Once they cut the excess expenditure, useless employees and focus on core products and goals, make strategic alliances (Blackberry you need the cash, you need a big player behind you, and MS needs you help with Skype) to get back on track we will all be better / happier for it.

Sad to say but blackberry 10.3 is also becoming quite formidable and BB found a way to solve their app gap so MS needed to get back on track and do it with one massive OS update.

Microsoft also should form a deal with blackberry because the BB passport running Windows phone with both BB and MS services integrated sounds like a good combo to me especially if they optimize office for that screen resolution and implement some of blackberries security and OS features into windows and WP.
also blackberry can possibly help MS with Skype it's horrible. I am seeing BBM will become a Skype / Facebook / marketing tool very soon that will be the next it thing. It already has voice, text video, advanced file sharing, a revenue model, a super secure version for enterprise customers and channels (Facebook kinda). IF blackberry plays it right they can steal Skype thunder.

Nokia and Microsoft will get things together I can't wait to see what windows 9 and WP 9 has to offer as well as the next generation Lumia or surface phone what ever they name the new product lines.

PS. I think Lumia should be low to high end then an super high end Surface phone with that magnesium body i.e the HTC one killer also steal a bit of useful features that Samsung does eye tracking yada yada.

let me know what you think.

Last edited:

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I think Microsoft has cut off it nose to spite it's face. While I agree that they need to restructure, what they did with Nokia has burned a lot of bridges with other oems and other companies and foreign governments.

Everybody has high hopes for WP and also has uncertainties since they aren't talking about what is coming out for the last quarter. The rumored flagship demise isn't helping. If Microsoft doesn't start taking is customers concerns to heart and publicly addresses them with a clear and precise plan, and soon, then whatever traction they had in the phone market will be lost, and not to mention the trust issue as well will be further eroded.
They have to show clearly that they are breaking from the past practices of abandoning phones and what ever firmware upgrade planned makes the phone work better, not slower. People have every right to be nervous, and the fan boys stating otherwise is ridiculous. Microsoft choices of late haven't been the greatest, and if their public image gets any worse then it will take even longer to repair.

I hope that they can turn it around and can understand that people like to know what they are going to build and have a clear picture of how they are going to do it.

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I think Microsoft has cut off it nose to spite it's face. While I agree that they need to restructure, what they did with Nokia has burned a lot of bridges with other oems and other companies and foreign governments.

Everybody has high hopes for WP and also has uncertainties since they aren't talking about what is coming out for the last quarter. The rumored flagship demise isn't helping. If Microsoft doesn't start taking is customers concerns to heart and publicly addresses them with a clear and precise plan, and soon, then whatever traction they had in the phone market will be lost, and not to mention the trust issue as well will be further eroded.
They have to show clearly that they are breaking from the past practices of abandoning phones and what ever firmware upgrade planned makes the phone work better, not slower. People have every right to be nervous, and the fan boys stating otherwise is ridiculous. Microsoft choices of late haven't been the greatest, and if their public image gets any worse then it will take even longer to repair.

I hope that they can turn it around and can understand that people like to know what they are going to build and have a clear picture of how they are going to do it.

Why are people so mad about the Nokia thing they are removing Nokia asha S30 and S40 phones to Microsoft that has no value any more and the andriod project is done which means a focus on windows as such those that have value and can be merged into the windows phone team will he others just have to go. If this means the innovators can focus on innovating on windows phone devices i'm all for it.

I am sorry allot are losing their job but its also Microsoft employees going home as well.

You are right they are making it look bad publicly and should have handled it better

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
12,500 Nokia Employees are being sacked, Finland's Finance Minister stated Microsoft betrayed them.

I have to honestly agree, wasn't it Nokia pushing out apps and software, only to be limited by Microsoft's 'laziness' by delaying and delaying and finally... Delaying.

We were expected to receive Lumia Cyan within 2 weeks of July, that's not happened and now its nearing the end of July. Sure they're being tested but taking this long?

I bought a Lumia 1520 back in June, absolutely love it, think its an amazing phone to use and own! But unfortunately it maybe my last Windows Phone.

The reason I state this: Nokia employees aren't really there any more are they? Majority have been sacked! The man behind the PureView and 41MP has departed to Apple. The music and audio side of things are being separated into another company.

So what remains from Nokia acquisition is a mystery, even I have no clue what they have purchased.
Killed off Android X which in fact shipped 10,000,000 units, maybe Nokia decided to stab Microsoft in the back just before the mobile division was taken over.

I'm worried that Microsoft are just going to be careless again... And history may repeat itself. I don't want Android I want the uniqueness of Windows Phone, bring back the integration we had in WP7.

My next phone may become something not mainstream, but right now here's me hoping the Microsoft treat us well.

Shipped not sold, the Nokia X was a total flop and left people confused.

MarCou

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Shipped not sold, the Nokia X was a total flop and left people confused.

First batch of Nokia X was sold out in less than a five minutes in china. It got 10 millions pre-orders in a week. 520 have been sold 12 million pieces in its lifetime. Its more popular than most Lumia models.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
First batch of Nokia X was sold out in less than a five minutes in china. It got 10 millions pre-orders in a week. 520 have been sold 12 million pieces in its lifetime. Its more popular than most Lumia models.

Maybe he meant that the Nokia X was a flop as far as performance. It certainly didn't seem to be a flop based on sales as you pointed out.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Those preorders were part of a contest, the prize was a number of units of the Nokia X. Anybody could preorder 4 devices to increase the probability of winning one of the free phones.
How many of those preorders were converted into actual sales? Almost none.

I think the sales of the Nokia X were quite good for a first gen product, but probably a much lower than the sales of the Lumia line.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)