Will Microsoft ditch WP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

quotethepigeon

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
What a crappy few days regarding the news about Microsoft 'Betraying the Finnish' by shafting pretty much the entire Nokia team , staff cuts eating into the xbox division and the cancellation of the planned Xbox tv shows that were lined up.
I have been a user of Windows phone for just under a year now and have thoroughly enjoyed the experience, especially with 8.1 which grew on me over time. However at the risk of sounding like a nay-sayer it's pretty clear that Windows Phone will be one of the next things to go.
With no sign of Growth , still mediocre versions of apps ( The apparent lack of apps story is something i just don't agree with) and always playing catch up with Android , ios and even Blackberry to an extent is just bad form . This is on a hardware and software front.

What do you guys think, after all its Microsoft we're talking about. They're not against scrapping an idea or current project -despite investing untold amounts of money - as they were unable to market said product initially.

What does everyone else think?

Vishnu Hs

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I think you are wrong..because there is still a sign of growth and they wouldn't have added this amount of features to an OS which will get them nothing(its a loss, the wp smartphone market)to wp8.1 in the first place

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't think they'll ditch it, but adapt it more to an enterprise OS phone which it seems like a good area for them...i guess but that sucks. I believe the OS will slowly grow, but at a much shorter pace than iOS or Android. Again this is my personal opinion, MS sees the $$$$ with WP but its in more affordability than high end mobile tech...they like the 520 spotlight, but are potentially losing to Android with low end cheaper good phones.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
The hysterics here are reaching ridiculous levels. If it goes, it goes. You'll move on, so will the rest of the world.
Sent from my Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

AndyM72

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
You are wrong. With Windows 9, aka Threshold, Windows and WP are getting merged, the Win and WP apps stores will be merged, the APIs will be merged. Apps will be coded with UIs that adapt to physical screen size (Nadallas stated strategy of Universal Apps). So there will still be smartphones running Windows (and current WP apps), there just won't be a distinction between WP and Windows any more.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Originally the plan was to merge Windows RT and Windows Phone together, but then came Universal apps in Windows Phone 8.1 for PC and phone.

Now they are going a step further, the person above me has explained this pretty well.

WP is not dead, improvements are being made at a rapid pace.
Sent from my RM-914_im_mea3_380 using Tapatalk

Teeeerex

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
I think you are one of the many troll invaders baiting people to passionately defend Windows Phone, fully expecting people to do so on this site.
Then you
il1jaw.gif

quotethepigeon

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
So when they get merged it'll run the same software effectively killing off Windows phone.
If there will be no distinction between the 2 we'll just have windows.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Every company is loyal to profits.
If WP isn't able make profit or revenue then they might ditch it.

But I think MS will not ditch WP soon. They might stop providing support or update to wp8 but ditching ......it's not gonna happen.

AndyM72

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
If there will be no distinction between the 2 we'll just have windows.

And? What's the problem with that? I see nothing but upsides to that plan. WP 8.1 already is Windows, the API overlap is over 80%, it's running on the latest version of the NT kernel, the same kernel as the one in Windows Server 2012 R2 (think about that, you have Windows NT in your pocket).

The final piece of the puzzle is to have one Windows OS, one Windows Store, and one set of apps no matter what form factor they run on. Win Win, if you pardon the pun.

AndyM72

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
As for shafting the Nokia team, I feel very sorry for anyone that wasn't working in Lumia devices or software, but I'm sure none of them were kidding themselves that this wasn't coming. If they are smart, they've already been looking for new jobs while waiting for their redundancy settlement to come through.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Two years ago when HP dropped the hammer on webOS the layoffs were massive as well. Not MS proportions but nobody cares when they're getting the axe. HP had to re-group after a questionable take-over just as MS is having to do now. Anybody who didn't see this coming sees the world through rose colored glasses. Asha and Series 40 brought nothing but loss to the table, it had to go. MS kept what it needed for future development and jettisoned the waste. It happens all the time and just as HP survived, so too will Microsoft.

For all the doom and gloom people out there, it's a piece of a blue puzzle. It's not the sky.

quotethepigeon

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
And? What's the problem with that? I see nothing but upsides to that plan. WP 8.1 already is Windows, the API overlap is over 80%, it's running on the latest version of the NT kernel, the same kernel as the one in Windows Server 2012 R2 (think about that, you have Windows NT in your pocket).

The final piece of the puzzle is to have one Windows OS, one Windows Store, and one set of apps no matter what form factor they run on. Win Win, if you pardon the pun.

Hehehe
win win....boom boom!
Seriously though I didn't really consider the long term goal of ONE . Wouldn't one os have to budge though? I mean a merge isn't that simple. It would either have to be like the pc version which I didn't think was too popular or the other end of the scale like the mobile version...which also isn't too popular. Some people mention that they'll go a Blackberry route and concentrate more on business , would this work do you think?

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
You know what that should have already happened. The problem with MS is they keep telling us to wait for this or that while the other guys already have it. Microsoft is dam slow. Come this fall if T-MO us doesn't have a high end WP with more than 16gb i'll have no problem going with a 4.7 5.5 iPhone simply because I'm tired of waiting for Microsoft to deliver. They killed themselves I happen to like Win8 many people don't removing the start button that everyone was comfortable with then putting it back making the start screen the base rather than the desktop now reversing it on Win 9 just adds to it. Look at Xbox One it took them a while to figure out the last two weeks sales have double lower the price remove Kinect rather than forcing it. But again loosing ground to the other guys. I'm tired of supporting Microsoft when they really don't support us.

AndyM72

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
The way I understand the plan, MS have realised that for devices that do pointing with mouse or trackpad, the desktop UI has to be as important, if not more so than the Modern UI. So in Threshold, the desktop is getting much needed attention, and you'll be able to run Modern UI apps in a window on the desktop.

Whereas devices that have no mouse, just a touchscreen for "pointing", should have *only* the Modern UI, because the Desktop makes no sense for those devices, it was only included in Windows RT because the Office team were badly behind schedule making a Modern UI Office suite (they still are). The slight variations in Modern UI that exist between Windows and WP today will be gone.

Windows is pretty modular these days, so it can run with the Modern UI only (smartphones and tablets), desktop only (Windows Server), both UIs (Laptops and PCs), or no GUI at all (servers, in Server Core mode).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6