Will Microsoft ditch WP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I don't think those layoffs are the end of WP, BUT it could mean the end of Nokia devices. Not right at the moment but in something like 2 years that might be the case. Satya Nadella wasn't a big fan of inquiring Nokia devices and with those layoffs this could mean in not so distant future Microsoft will only be making 2 or 3 phones, much like Apple or Google. Let's just hope that before that happens Microsoft will have enough serious company's that will have WP devices in all ranges. WP is important for them, like it or not. Leaving it die would mean also the death of Microsoft. They just can't live with only PCs and expect people will use their services on Android. I wouldn't be using Outlook and OneDrive if I had Android phone.

And I'm not sure about that unified OS on all devices. This seems impossible at the moment. RT and WP yes but x64 Windows ? X64 processor wont run ARM OS and ARM processor won't run x64 OS. Same OS would mean all devices having a x64 processor, like Intel Atoms but then we have problem because none of current phones would run this OS and I certainly hope they don't have courage to do something like that.

Sent from my B85M-HD3 using Tapatalk

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't think this means they're ditching it. The layoffs or "betrayal" of Nokia certainly doesn't mean they will. Apple only has one phone that they brand and manage in house. Why can't Microsoft?

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You are wrong. With Windows 9, aka Threshold, Windows and WP are getting merged, the Win and WP apps stores will be merged, the APIs will be merged. Apps will be coded with UIs that adapt to physical screen size (Nadallas stated strategy of Universal Apps). So there will still be smartphones running Windows (and current WP apps), there just won't be a distinction between WP and Windows any more.

I've talked with multiple UI/UX designers and they all hate the tile interface. Is there any evidence that the general public loves the tiles? If there is not, Microsoft would be suicidal to not throw it away and bring back Aero Glass with icons.

LockOnTech

May 3, 2014
Visit site
With Windows Phone becoming a growing platform, I am not sure if I should take the thread from the OP seriously. Perhaps it is too early to tell.

AndyM72

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I've talked with multiple UI/UX designers and they all hate the tile interface. Is there any evidence that the general public loves the tiles? If there is not, Microsoft would be suicidal to not throw it away and bring back Aero Glass with icons.

Firstly, read my later post.

Secondly, the Start Screen (the tiles) was designed for touchscreen devices. A lot of complaints about the Start Screen was from users of non touch devices, that just wanted to use a mouse on the desktop. Being forced to use the Start Screen even to launch desktop apps, along with the jarring switch between the UIs, wasn't good.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Firstly, read my later post.

Secondly, the Start Screen (the tiles) was designed for touchscreen devices. A lot of complaints about the Start Screen was from users of non touch devices, that just wanted to use a mouse on the desktop. Being forced to use the Start Screen even to launch desktop apps, along with the jarring switch between the UIs, wasn't good.

No, you're missing the point. Take a look at Windows 8 tile world on Dell Venue 8" tablet. It's a terrible UX, waste of space. Then compare/Contreras with iOS start screen on the iPad Mini. It's like going from a nightmare to a breath of fresh air. How can you defend the tiles?

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
And I'm not sure about that unified OS on all devices. This seems impossible at the moment. RT and WP yes but x64 Windows ? X64 processor wont run ARM OS and ARM processor won't run x64 OS. Same OS would mean all devices having a x64 processor, like Intel Atoms but then we have problem because none of current phones would run this OS and I certainly hope they don't have courage to do something like that.
There can be different versions of the same OS for different processors, like Windows (Pro) currently has 32-bit and 64-bit versions. I don't think the unification means that the exact same software would be installed on each device. What it probably means is that the apps would work with all versions, similar to how most Windows 8 Modern/Metro Apps run on both RT and x86/x64 and are available from the same app store. At least this is my understanding. The desktop functionality would not likely be available on an ARM device including the phones. It may be possible that phones are made with Intel chips at a later date but the ability to run old desktop apps on a phone would not provide much added benefit for the vast majority of users.

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
There can be different versions of the same OS for different processors, like Windows (Pro) currently has 32-bit and 64-bit versions. I don't think the unification means that the exact same software would be installed on each device. What it probably means is that the apps would work with all versions, similar to how most Windows 8 Modern/Metro Apps run on both RT and x86/x64 and are available from the same app store. At least this is my understanding. The desktop functionality would not likely be available on an ARM device including the phones. It may be possible that phones are made with Intel chips at a later date but the ability to run old desktop apps on a phone would not provide much added benefit for the vast majority of users.

Unified apps are the thing I do expect, could be the thing all had in mind but said it a bit odd.

EasilyTheBest

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
There was a report a few months back, I think it was on Seeking Alpha. It said that despite there being way way more Android Phones sold compared to Windows Phones the money made in the apps store were.

Google - 1.2 billion
Microsoft - 0.8 billion

That doesn't even take into account how much Microsoft makes on Android Patents.

Apple by the way are making just over 6 billion on in app purchases per year.
People buying Android phones rarely pay for apps.
Microsoft will never end Windows Phone..

AndyM72

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
How can you defend the tiles?

You come on WPCentral forums and ask how can I (or anyone here for that matter) defend Live Tiles? :devil:

I've always liked Live Tiles, when they really are Live. Being able to glance at info is great, and it's a great "information dense" use of space, rather than the Springboard launcher in iOS, which just gives you the badge to show unread updates. And you can't moan about "wastes of space" and then give iOS on an iPad as an example of a better solution - all that space and to can get no more icons on the screen than you can on an iPhone!

But I'd be the first person to say that Microsoft screwed up forcing a Touch only UI design onto everyone who wants or needs to use Windows, whether they had Touchscreen hardware or not. That was a decision made on Ballmers watch, and is among the many things that MS is currently trying to unravel and put right.

P.S. I have a laptop running Win 8.1 (non touch), a Mac running OSX, iPhones, an iPad Mini and a Windows Phone. So I've got experience of all the UI's. I much prefer Modern UI to the iOS UI for the touch devices, but it's a pig on my non touch Laptop.

Last edited:

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
No, you're missing the point. Take a look at Windows 8 tile world on Dell Venue 8" tablet. It's a terrible UX, waste of space. Then compare/Contreras with iOS start screen on the iPad Mini. It's like going from a nightmare to a breath of fresh air. How can you defend the tiles?
if you don't like tiles then just boot to the desktop. problem solved

AndyM72

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
And I'm not sure about that unified OS on all devices. This seems impossible at the moment. RT and WP yes but x64 Windows ? X64 processor wont run ARM OS and ARM processor won't run x64 OS.

When you read "Unified OS", that doesn't mean the exact same machine code. Even on Intel processors, you can compile code with options on the compiler that means they will run on one generation of Intel processor, but not earlier generations. So we are not talking about OS code that you can copy off one machine and onto another that is using a different type of processor.

What is meant by Unified OS is that the exact same code is the used as the source, and compiled for each processor platform, so from an API point of view, all the versions of the OS present the same interface to applications.

Likewise, apps that run on the OS can be written once, making use of those API calls, and just need either compiling multiple times to create native machine code for each processor type, or compiled once to run in something called the Common Language Runtime, which is "portable" code, somewhat like Java.

Think about this for a moment. How many Processor types does Android run on? I know of three - ARM, Intel and MIPS. Because of Dalvik and soon Android Runtime, Android apps are portable.

​So it's not impossible, it's been possible for a long time.

misfitpierce

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand this... "no sign of growth" crap ppl say sometimes. Windows phone is still showing good increases quarter to quarter if you actually take the time to read up on it instead of just assuming. As for the ditching the Finns thing... Well google laid off tons of Motorola ppl but that doesn't mean Motorola was scrapped. Microsoft is in the midst of major changes due to a new CEO and the finalizing of Nokia acquisition. Its going to take a bit of time to see the bright side to the changes being made but I think what they have been doing is fine and its their strategy and I trust them on it. Microsoft is a pretty savvy company and seeing as they just bought a phone company and windows phone is showing profits even if slowly, its highly unlikely to be scrapped. Its not like its sinking like blackberry so... Just stick with windows phone and you will see.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand this... "no sign of growth" crap ppl say sometimes. Windows phone is still showing good increases quarter to quarter if you actually take the time to read up on it instead of just assuming. As for the ditching the Finns thing... Well google laid off tons of Motorola ppl but that doesn't mean Motorola was scrapped. Microsoft is in the midst of major changes due to a new CEO and the finalizing of Nokia acquisition. Its going to take a bit of time to see the bright side to the changes being made but I think what they have been doing is fine and its their strategy and I trust them on it. Microsoft is a pretty savvy company and seeing as they just bought a phone company and windows phone is showing profits even if slowly, its highly unlikely to be scrapped. Its not like its sinking like blackberry so... Just stick with windows phone and you will see.

Growth in poor countries is not something I'd hang my flag on. Especially since it's on the back of the 52X series which makes no profits. The US, China and Japan are the markets to care about and WP is non-existent there. If I were MS CEO I'd ask myself why instead of congratulating myself that "but at least we're beating Apple in Brazil".

Pacus1x

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Growth in poor countries is not something I'd hang my flag on".

Underestimate those markets "poor" markets that's the last thing you want, ask Google how they build their services empire thanks to dead cheap Android phones... selling devices is only a tool to offer those ultra valuable services... but agreed that MS must work hard in China, Japan and the US, the first two countries with virtually zero WP market share.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Who said MS was ditching the Finns? Last I checked most of the devices work force was in the manufacturing arm of the company. A large chunk of that was for Asha and S40, plus you have the Nokia X folks. My guess is that 90% of the layoffs are from the manufacturing facilities located outside of Finland. The rest are probably Engineers for those areas that are redundant plus marketing and sales folks. I would venture to say that most of the Lumia engineers and manufacturing teams aren't being touched. I would also very some staff will transfer into this group where it makes sense.

I think people here fail to understand the constituent parts of Nokia.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Underestimate those markets "poor" markets that's the last thing you want, ask Google how they build their services empire thanks to dead cheap Android phones...

Android is on plenty of high end devices too. When Samsung releases a new flagship, it often nearly matches or even outsells the iPhone for a short time. Android's numbers are so staggering that nobody comes close in any range.

But you are technically correct that low end devices help inflate Android's numbers.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
What do you guys think, after all its Microsoft we're talking about. They're not against scrapping an idea or current project -despite investing untold amounts of money - as they were unable to market said product initially.

What does everyone else think?

I think that since Microsoft is saying that they are focusing on WP and development of universal apps that speculation that Microsoft will ditch WP is unfounded.

wpfan86

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps he can defend then because he has a different opinion than you. Did you consider the possibility that not everyone shares your high and mighty, know better than all opinion?

I own a DV8P and iI happen to love the tile interface. It is insanely simple and easy to organize. Only the simplest of minds would find it complicated. The desktop interface on an 8" tablet however is nearly useless. If by "breath of fresh air" iOS, you mean "cartoonish looking toy-like interface" then yes, I agree.

See how that different opinions thing works?

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps he can defend then because he has a different opinion than you. Did you consider the possibility that not everyone shares your high and mighty, know better than all opinion?

I own a DV8P and iI happen to love the tile interface. It is insanely simple and easy to organize. Only the simplest of minds would find it complicated. The desktop interface on an 8" tablet however is nearly useless. If by "breath of fresh air" iOS, you mean "cartoonish looking toy-like interface" then yes, I agree.

See how that different opinions thing works?

I'm not saying that iOS is the perfect interface for doing everything. I still find I do most of my computing on my desktop PC in Windows 8.1 because I do a lot of typing and virtual keyboards just suck on any platform for a variety of reasons. However for pure consumption behavior - web browsing, video streaming, checking the weather - Android or iOS just is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb