08-04-2014 11:35 AM
95 1234
tools
    They bought Nokia cos they were forced to do so. Nokia already related X series and there were strong rumors that Nokia was manufacturing Android with full functionality.

That would have been end of Windows Phones story.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App
    Precisely what I said. Microsoft is now able to control what OS runs on Nokia phones. You're right, MarCou, Nokia phones running Android would have been lethal to WP because so many people are agnostic about the OS, but respect the Nokia reputation for hardware.

Microsoft needs the WP OS to complete the "all platforms" vision.
    07-24-2014 06:37 AM
    Translation: I have no interest in Microsoft and repeat that daily at WP Central. What does Microsoft offer for someone like me? Excellent rhetorical question.
    if you've misinterpreted it, I understand. if you're just trolling, that's different. focus on the points in question:

what benefit does one-os-for-all-devices have, when the vast majority of people do not use their desktop applications on their phone and vice versa ?

it was a neat concept a few years ago before mobile app stores exploded, but today, how will people use it ?
    07-24-2014 09:33 AM
    For the last couple of years, we've heard two different predictions:

1. Microsoft (and particularly Windows Phone) sales will explode after "insert next update here".
    2. Microsoft (and particularly Windows Phone) will fail.

So far neither has happened. Microsoft continues to be immensely profitable, and Windows Phone sales continue to be immensely sluggish. I too am interested in seeing what happens in the next year. If Threshold is truly going to be a universal platform, I expect some growing pains. So far nobody has seen anything like that, and I don't think it's going to be dropped on the market and be an immediate success. It will take months or years of development and refinement.
    I totally agree. There's no certain point where everyone will just start buying WP. Like most things in life progress is gradual. WP hopefully will keep increasing in marketshare until it reaches a comfortable 20-30% which will force apps to be cross platform. Maybe we might even see Clash of Clans :/. Anyway this new CEO seems to know what he's doing and I think under his leadership Microsoft is going places.
    07-24-2014 09:47 AM
    if you've misinterpreted it, I understand. if you're just trolling, that's different. focus on the points in question:

what benefit does one-os-for-all-devices have, when the vast majority of people do not use their desktop applications on their phone and vice versa ?

it was a neat concept a few years ago before mobile app stores exploded, but today, how will people use it ?

A number of reasons i can see, first of all it attracts developers (potentially more money for them as well), more developers = more apps, more apps = more choice, more choice = more users.

Second and importantly from a business perspective it makes life so much easier, easier to manage the flow of information to employees, it will save time and increase productivity which may mean more profit.

I would love to have desktop on my phone and vice versa, be able to send text messages via desktop outlook, have slimmed down versions of all my programs on my phone, it just makes life simpler, easier and a bit cheaper.
    BobLobIaw and ohgood like this.
    07-24-2014 10:15 AM
    WOW Osallent, you sound almost like me. I have a Icon and a 1520. Have a Surface Pro 3 and 365. Cant wait for a new crop of phones and Win 9.
    07-24-2014 10:32 AM
    I cannot speak for all US consumers. However, I know many people only avoided the iPhone due to its small size. The availability of a bigger iPhone when one's contract expires, combined with no flagship Windows Phone, might cause those consumers to switch.
    Agreed. The only thing I can think of that will prevent many users going to the iPhone 6 is its rumored price, which I've been reading will be between $300-$400 on contract.
    07-24-2014 10:58 AM

Not trolling, just pointing out that for "someone like you" who has expressed no interest in using WP, a unified OS is not going to suddenly make you reconsider your choices. Perhaps you should have asked the question in the abstract.

To answer your question, just because people have learned to exist in an app-centric mobile world with multiple experiences doesn't mean that they don't have the ability to adapt to a more streamlined OS. If a consumer is offered the ability to use the same application, desktop or otherwise, on all devices it remains a neat concept realized.
    07-24-2014 11:15 AM

To answer your question, just because people have learned to exist in an app-centric mobile world with multiple experiences doesn't mean that they don't have the ability to adapt to a more streamlined OS. If a consumer is offered the ability to use the same application, desktop or otherwise, on all devices it remains a neat concept realized.
    this is a much nicer answer, good job!

it looks like your focus is now on the os looking and feeling the same across all devices, instead of actually using the same applications/programs across all devices ?

I can understand that, for a focus, but attracting developers when there are so few applications to be used on both the phone and desktop, how does that play out?

does Microsoft sell it as a "write once" concept for the devs ?

or do you have another theory ?
    07-24-2014 11:43 AM
    this is a much nicer answer, good job!

it looks like your focus is now on the os looking and feeling the same across all devices, instead of actually using the same applications/programs across all devices ?

I can understand that, for a focus, but attracting developers when there are so few applications to be used on both the phone and desktop, how does that play out?

does Microsoft sell it as a "write once" concept for the devs ?

or do you have another theory ?
    No need to patronize. I'm plenty aware of your post history so you don't have to pretend to be someone you are not.

An identical UI experience is not necessary in all circumstances, and many have voiced opinions on the challenges of conforming the experiences you get on a 5" and a 27" screen. Nevertheless, a unified OS will achieve more consistency in the UI experience among all devices and many users will undoubtedly appreciate that. Actually using the same programs will be a benefit--a huge one. If I can use my time and billing program, for example, on my desktop, tablet and mobile phone, that is a huge improvement over the current situation. If the MS Office experience is more consistent among all devices, the user wins. I'm not sure why you've convinced yourself that there are few applications that would be used on both mobile and desktop. That doesn't really make sense, other than it describes the current limited landscape.
    07-24-2014 12:13 PM
    ... off topic deleted...

1 An identical UI experience is not necessary in all circumstances, and many have voiced opinions on the challenges of conforming the experiences you get on a 5" and a 27" screen.

2 Nevertheless, a unified OS will achieve more consistency in the UI experience among all devices and many users will undoubtedly appreciate that.

3 Actually using the same programs will be a benefit--a huge one. If I can use my time and billing program, for example, on my desktop, tablet and mobile phone, that is a huge improvement over the current situation. If the MS Office experience is more consistent among all devices, the user wins.

4 I'm not sure why you've convinced yourself that there are few applications that would be used on both mobile and desktop. That doesn't really make sense, other than it describes the current limited landscape.
    1 ya I imagine that's going to be a good challenge

2 yup, if they like the ui , they'll get a bunch of it on all their screens

3 yup ! office suites work pretty good already got me. edit/share/sync, etc, I really like the flexibility of using the best performing office suite on each type of device right now.

4 I'm going by my own usages...

PC:
    photo editing
    video editing
    typical office suite uses involving a keyboard, multiple tabs in chrome, lots of document types at once etc
    movie playback/htpc
    huge file sizes in torrents/sftp/afp/smb/etc
    disk imaging

phone/tablet:
    very GPS centric...
    GPS enabled mapping, tracking, routing, planning
    geo referenced PDFs
    osm data uplink
    video calls
    photography

none of those really cross over in device usage. sure, I can share gigs of videos and maps over Wi-Fi to the htpc, but that's about as close as I get to cross application usage.

honestly I can't think of anything that I do from both screens besides web browsing , forums , email and SMS.
    07-24-2014 01:41 PM
    Precisely what I said. Microsoft is now able to control what OS runs on Nokia phones. You're right, MarCou, Nokia phones running Android would have been lethal to WP because so many people are agnostic about the OS, but respect the Nokia reputation for hardware.

Microsoft needs the WP OS to complete the "all platforms" vision.
    Technically there are no more Nokia phones. There's the ones on the market and that's it. But yes, they averted the shift that Nokia was preparing for full Google-Android.
    However, I don't think they have or will avert any decline in sales related to the end of Nokia phones. Which is why it's crucial, if they hope to survive, to bring other renown OEM to the WP space. Microsoft Mobile in itself has no future. What Microsoft must do is hurry that so called One Windows and make it available for OEMs. That way it's much more appealing to them to produce Windows machines as they can always bundle, for example, a tablet & phone which has the same OS in it, something they can't do with Apple obviously and that they can't do with Android either.
    07-24-2014 01:59 PM
    I'm going by my own usages...
    So am I, and my usages would benefit from a unified OS. If people want to be hamstrung in their use of mobile devices, they won't be interested in the benefits of Threshold.
    07-24-2014 02:15 PM
    So am I, and my usages would benefit from a unified OS. If people want to be hamstrung in their use of mobile devices, they won't be interested in the benefits of Threshold.
    Everyone has their own experiences, which is what Microsoft is trying to help everyone realize. although many people do not see the bright side of a unified company and cross platforming stuffs, it is just another added bonus to the entire realm of Windows. No, it wont be a selling point, but when you sit down and realize "oh i can just do this" and "oh its easy since i have this and that" you really understand how nice it is to use a Windows powered machine.

Oh and P.S. that's one BEAUTIFUL Scirocco :)
    07-24-2014 04:20 PM

how are people currently hamstrung ?
    do you mean windows phone, iPhone, android , or all mobile operating systems?
    07-24-2014 05:11 PM
    Everyone has their own experiences, which is what Microsoft is trying to help everyone realize. although many people do not see the bright side of a unified company and cross platforming stuffs, it is just another added bonus to the entire realm of Windows. No, it wont be a selling point, but when you sit down and realize "oh i can just do this" and "oh its easy since i have this and that" you really understand how nice it is to use a Windows powered machine.

I think i understand how threshold may benefit tablet users, but how does it improve life for phone users?
    07-24-2014 05:15 PM
    I think i understand how threshold may benefit tablet users, but how does it improve life for phone users?
    How will it not? Serious question that I'd like to see a real response to.
    07-24-2014 05:32 PM

I think it will be a huge selling point, especially in the business world. If the OneCore system works as theorized, developers can develop one code base and the experience will then be responsive to the device. Think responsive web design which is really hot right now. For a specific example, let's looks at the Junos Pulse VPN application. As it currently stands, you can install it on Windows 8 machines/tablets but it is not available on RT devices nor is it available in the Windows Phone store despite being available for on Apple and Android devices. So now a very popular VPN app that is widely used in corporate America is now available to all Windows user on any device. Companies can then roll out and support a unified OS. Will reduce operating, development and support costs. The potential is quite great actually.
    07-24-2014 05:36 PM
    After reading the article Nadella reaffirms Microsoft's commitment to a unified operating system | Windows Phone Central I cant help but think, how amazing 2015 could be for us. A unified OS is like a dream come true, something which apple and google might not just achieve, with 90% Pcs running windows and total 50% on windows 7. The support for Windows 7 ends 2015, threshold just might be a free upgrade, and I cant help but feel optimistic over the infinite amount of advantage we users will have. App released for xbox, Pc and wp, the app gap will definitely close. Cant wait to see what 2015 will bring and unified Os is just what we might need. One team with one common architecture and ONE microsoft.
    Somehow feel we just chose the right side and a kickass Phone.
    Would love to know from all the experts out there over various applications it can offer and how great can it be?
    Is something ethereal expected?
    Absolutely the bleeding of the so called app gap is closing by itself. More and more dev's are joining the platform daily.

Agree 2015 will be interesting year for MSFT. Just me "2015 is the year of the take over" Lol. Again just me. 2018 is the year to throw up the white flag if MSFT still holds a global 3% market share.

2015 will be a powerful year for MSFT. And finally MSFT will be recognize in the Americans continent.

I believe MSFT is moving in the right direction now. Will see only time will tell.
    Akhilesh Bhambhani likes this.
    07-24-2014 05:42 PM
    Think about it this way. If WP has 50 million users right now they will continue to see slow app development. But if an app studio or group can write one app that hits desktop, tablet, and phone users then your user target group exponentially grows. That will make the app gap disappear in the near future regardless of how fast WP grows.
    k0de, ohgood and godse573 like this.
    07-24-2014 05:46 PM
    How will it not? Serious question that I'd like to see a real response to.
    I just don't know how it will,
    positive or negative, which is why I asked.

I'm looking at it from a typical day of waking up, starting the day, and wondering how it would be different from the phone to the computer throughout the day ?

can someone nail it down for me?
    07-24-2014 06:16 PM
    OK, 2016 arrives and the unification is complete.

I still don't want (or need) to use the same applications on my phone that I do the computer.

i do different things with each hardware....

what sells threshold/wp9 to users like me?
    My understanding is that the apps would have graphics elements to adapt to small or big screens. Look at how apps adapt between ipad and iphone....
    07-24-2014 06:24 PM
    Think about it this way. If WP has 50 million users right now they will continue to see slow app development. But if an app studio or group can write one app that hits desktop, tablet, and phone users then your user target group exponentially grows. That will make the app gap disappear in the near future regardless of how fast WP grows.
    thanked, liked..

I get that if suddenly there is a wider audience to pitch your application to, yes, having 2 billion users instead of 20 million means there is a better chance of getting some if their dollars.... that part makes sense.

what type of application would actually be used on all three, phone, tablet, PC ?
    07-24-2014 06:25 PM
    what type of application would actually be used on all three, phone, tablet, PC ?
    Games, social media, home automation, home media control, business app like I mentioned in post 42, etc. Honestly, there are fewer things that are single device than.
    ohgood likes this.
    07-24-2014 06:29 PM
    My understanding is that the apps would have graphics elements to adapt to small or big screens. Look at how apps adapt between ipad and iphone....
    The best example would be responsive web design. Web designers now have to design one experience that displays beautifully across all resolutions.
    07-24-2014 06:30 PM
    Games, social media, home automation, home media control, business app like I mentioned in post 42, etc. Honestly, there are fewer things that are single device than.
    OK, games, yes. hadn't thought of those, I'm old I guess.

the automation stuff, social media, would work very nicely in a cross platform thing like a browser, right?
    07-24-2014 07:45 PM
95 1234