08-04-2014 11:35 AM
95 1234
tools
    OK, games, yes. hadn't thought of those, I'm old I guess.

the automation stuff, social media, would work very nicely in a cross platform thing like a browser, right?
    Not in my opinion, no. I'm not a fan surfing the Internet on my smartphone.
    07-24-2014 10:19 PM
    I agree with you, it's so amazing, MS will be the biggest Company!
    07-24-2014 11:36 PM
    Oh and P.S. that's one BEAUTIFUL Scirocco :)
    Thanks, I appreciate that! She still needs some work but is a lot of fun to drive!
    07-24-2014 11:59 PM
    thanked, liked..

I get that if suddenly there is a wider audience to pitch your application to, yes, having 2 billion users instead of 20 million means there is a better chance of getting some if their dollars.... that part makes sense.

what type of application would actually be used on all three, phone, tablet, PC ?
    Evernote is probably a great example. I use that across all of my devices (laptop, iPad, iPhone and Lumia 920). Really useful app.
    ohgood likes this.
    07-25-2014 12:10 AM
    OK, 2016 arrives and the unification is complete.

I still don't want (or need) to use the same applications on my phone that I do the computer.

i do different things with each hardware....

what sells threshold/wp9 to users like me?
    If all goes well, what will sell it to you will be the plethora of apps. These apps will be there because releasing the same app on Xbox, Windows, and Windows Phone will mean enough market for app developers to justify the resources required to make it, and the additional work to release on all platforms should be small enough that no one will only make Windows apps while shunning WP. That's the theory anyway, we'll see how well MS delivers.

The multiplatform thing is basically how WP will mooch off of Windows's and Xbox's market share to get apps it otherwise wouldn't.
    07-25-2014 01:38 AM
    The year of Microsoft? That reminds me the year of Linux.

Windows dominates the PC, but in the PC the web killed native development.

A developer would have to choose between a good website that's portable to mac, linux, chromebooks, windows 7/xp. Or an app that is portable to WP and Windows tablets. I think the first option is more attractive.

And of course the debate about what is the best technology. The web that can be indexed (search) and content can be easily be linked, there are universal addresses to each piece of content. Or apps that have better performance and can take advantage of the features of the platform.

If Microsoft wants to leverage the pc users to promote the development of universal apps, they have to create an advantage for native development over the web.

What is the advantage of the Facebook app over the Facebook website, in Windows 8?
    07-25-2014 02:03 AM
    I would like to ask what you guys see in unified apps. Because one app won't simply run on a PC and phone. The gap between Windows Phone and Windows (on a tabled) will be smaller but I'm not convinced. Simply for this reason: Apple hasn't done it.

Look down the map at Apple. Apple may not have a single OS across all platforms, but they have perfected communication between all their devices. How? By controlling all the devices and by growing their own interfaces between them. They don't play well with others and they don't give a damn.
    Exactly! Because if there's one team who knows UI better than all of us it's them. And I believe they've tested it, oh for sure they have! But came out with the fact it isn't what they wanted.

I'd like the idea of being able to write one app for mulch-purpose devices, but I don't see it happening any time soon. And the world won't adapt so fast. And last but not least, and I'm probably being a **** here: It's Microsoft, remember! Let me explain. There's this video on YouTube where some guys shows that if the background color of his WP device is changed from green to red, it's also being changed from green to red on his PC who's standing behind him. But it's just not "pretty" there's no "eye candy" it should be beautifully designed, when I saw the video it was a little disappointing. Ok, I'm going off-topic here.

Anyway I believe there's more to win for WP than Windows itself with this development. :) We look forward.
    07-25-2014 02:03 AM
    It's Microsoft, remember! Let me explain. There's this video on YouTube where some guys shows that if the background color of his WP device is changed from green to red, it's also being changed from green to red on his PC who's standing behind him. But it's just not "pretty" there's no "eye candy" it should be beautifully designed, when I saw the video it was a little disappointing. Ok, I'm going off-topic here.

Anyway I believe there's more to win for WP than Windows itself with this development. :) We look forward.
    just go to settings in your windows phone.....then on sync my settings....turn off theme.....your theme color change in windows phone won't be reflected in your windows devices....
    07-25-2014 02:09 AM
    That's not the point. The point is that if Microsoft will create 'One OS for all devices' it must be the best looking thing ever because it won't turn heads if it isn't. I like the way the Weather app syncs locations between my Windows Phone and Windows Desktop so I believe it's getting okay in the end.
    07-25-2014 02:28 AM
    Year X will be the year of Microsoft when they finally start making all the right decisions. Until then, forget about it.
    DJCBS likes this.
    07-25-2014 02:57 AM
    What I want you Americans to know is that had WP been left to you guys to determine its survival it would've already been a memory!!! WP is being kept alive by consumers OUTSIDE of AMERICA and because of that their/our buying habits vary completely from what is the common practice in the U.S. We don't go out and buy every model there is just because we can, some do but most don't. We buy what we want at the given time and if it can be improved through updates then great, unfortunately this mobile world hasn't been kind to WP simply due to the OS makers. Tell me why is it that many IPhone users who owned the 4 didn't go out and immediately bought the 5 or the GS4 users didn't automatically change to the GS5? Simply put both upgrades offered 1/2 features over what they already had and to some it wasn't a device seller to upgrade to and both companies' account books reflect such. I believe that some WP users are a little "slow" because if I owned a phone that had no notification centre, no customizable lock screens, no home screen background pic capability, no BT 4.0 LE, no true PA and so forth and so on. I would automatically after getting all of that in an update it would be like getting an entirely NEW PHONE!!! Who the f..k cares if IOS or ANDROID has a 10 core processor,3d screen, battery that lasts for a wk before charge needed(would love that for WP) honestly who does more than 2 things at a time on their phone anyways???? All that is needed is for the phone to have modern features and work FLAWLESSLY, more like how it has compared to the competition.

Seriously had WP8.1 and all its features to yr end been here since NOVEMBER 2012, what EXACTLY would U the current WP users be asking MS to add to an already impressive OS?????? Honestly WHAT????
    Karthik Naik, JamesPTao and DJCBS like this.
    07-25-2014 03:19 AM
    I'd love to see the looks on the faces of people who laugh and put down Microsoft products these days with zero knowledge about windows 8.x and windows phone 8.x and just assume its inferior to apple and googles offerings,when Microsoft completes the unified experience
    Akhilesh Bhambhani likes this.
    07-25-2014 03:29 AM
    I would like to ask what you guys see in unified apps. Because one app won't simply run on a PC and phone. The gap between Windows Phone and Windows (on a tabled) will be smaller but I'm not convinced. Simply for this reason: Apple hasn't done it.

Exactly! Because if there's one team who knows UI better than all of us it's them. And I believe they've tested it, oh for sure they have! But came out with the fact it isn't what they wanted.

I'd like the idea of being able to write one app for mulch-purpose devices, but I don't see it happening any time soon. And the world won't adapt so fast. And last but not least, and I'm probably being a **** here: It's Microsoft, remember! Let me explain. There's this video on YouTube where some guys shows that if the background color of his WP device is changed from green to red, it's also being changed from green to red on his PC who's standing behind him. But it's just not "pretty" there's no "eye candy" it should be beautifully designed, when I saw the video it was a little disappointing. Ok, I'm going off-topic here.

Really? Apple took existing code (freeware) to develop their current os on desktops. And the one app vision doesn't mean the app is the same across all devices. It means developers can write one app and use developer software to reuse much of tat code and tweak it to work on tablet and phone as well. That way each form factor doesn't have to have the app written specifically for it. One app wouldn't require three versions written separately. It will make app development cheaper and streamlined. Apple is good at image and promotion. Windows is poor at promotion but good at software. Unfortunately in the past they have given in to pressure to release software early (ex vista because windows 7 wasn't ready and they felt they had to push out something. Now they wait until things are ready if there not they don't release it (surface mini, macloren). It will work and will improve through time. And it is a great idea.
    07-25-2014 03:52 AM
    Sorry above post could have been written much better. 15 hours in on a 16 hour shift.
    07-25-2014 03:55 AM
    Evernote is probably a great example. I use that across all of my devices (laptop, iPad, iPhone and Lumia 920). Really useful app.
    finally! yes! there's an application I have used, and can see being useful on all three devices.

OK so we have:
    web browsers with sync'd bookmarks/passwords
    evernote
    games
    ....?

any other suggestions as to what type of applications will be useful across all three devices?

on threshold:
    it seems like the point of a unified os is not very well understood among users. maybe Microsoft just hasn't made the points clear enough yet.

any developers care to point out their own understanding of how they will benefit?
    07-25-2014 04:27 AM
    finally! yes! there's an application I have used, and can see being useful on all three devices.

OK so we have:
    web browsers with sync'd bookmarks/passwords
    evernote
    games
    ....?

any other suggestions as to what type of applications will be useful across all three devices?

on threshold:
    it seems like the point of a unified os is not very well understood among users. maybe Microsoft just hasn't made the points clear enough yet.

any developers care to point out their own understanding of how they will benefit?

Streaming media apps. For instance I like finishing a Netflix show or movie I started watching on my PC on my phone or vice versa. The Netflix apps sync and pick up on one device where it left off on another device.
    Akhilesh Bhambhani likes this.
    07-25-2014 04:36 AM
    We will have to wait and see, now won't we?
    07-25-2014 04:54 AM
    Really? Apple took existing code (freeware) to develop their current os on desktops. And the one app vision doesn't mean the app is the same across all devices. It means developers can write one app and use developer software to reuse much of tat code and tweak it to work on tablet and phone as well. That way each form factor doesn't have to have the app written specifically for it. One app wouldn't require three versions written separately. It will make app development cheaper and streamlined. Apple is good at image and promotion. Windows is poor at promotion but good at software. Unfortunately in the past they have given in to pressure to release software early (ex vista because windows 7 wasn't ready and they felt they had to push out something. Now they wait until things are ready if there not they don't release it (surface mini, macloren). It will work and will improve through time. And it is a great idea.
    Yes, you're idea that one "source code" would fit to all devices is in the world of a developer brilliant. But it's only brilliant if it's two steps better than the alternative. Let's stick with Apple for the examples. They create the hard and software. Microsoft now does the same when they bought the Nokia brand. So Windows Phone will (hopefully) in the end be totally written from the core for Lumia's exclusively.

Windows isn't. So therefor I don't see the point (yet) that native apps who can run on either Windows 8.1 Pro or Windows Phone 8.1. Only if it's massively better than the alternative. Cutting costs for dev. will help making the market more interesting. And it's indeed a good idea, but I don't see it coming to life as we are all hoping for it will.

Sorry above post could have been written much better. 15 hours in on a 16 hour shift.
    I don't see something wrong with it?

We will have to wait and see, now won't we?
    That's it. Thread closed. :D
    07-25-2014 05:19 AM
    Streaming media apps. For instance I like finishing a Netflix show or movie I started watching on my PC on my phone or vice versa. The Netflix apps sync and pick up on one device where it left off on another device.
    goooood, yes, keep em coming.

Netflix, evernote do that now...
    07-25-2014 08:38 AM
    I already mentioned time and billing programs for professionals. For example, with a unified OS we might expect to have a PCLaw App that you can use on your desktop, laptop, tablet and mobile phone. Right now, one has to use a separate mobile service to enter time and access client information from non-mobile devices. I would imagine there are countless similar situations in retail or corporate sales, for example, where the user would rather work directly from a smartphone instead of having to pull out a laptop.
    07-25-2014 11:02 AM
    I'd love to see the looks on the faces of people who laugh and put down Microsoft products these days with zero knowledge about windows 8.x and windows phone 8.x and just assume its inferior to apple and googles offerings,when Microsoft completes the unified experience
    Here's the problem: Google and Apple ARE DOING THE SAME. So in the end, if Microsoft screws up the unification, those people will still be scorning Microsoft's offerings. Because they'll still be comparing it with Apple and Google.
    07-25-2014 02:19 PM
    2015 will be better than 2014 but will it be THE year? I don't think so. I can only hope that consumers come around and look at MS with a better view. Cant wait to see next years version of the surface and what a Microsoft labelled phone will look like. Will there be UI changes with threshold for phones? This new "onewindows" is a march forward but 2015 is not THE year.
    07-25-2014 02:27 PM
    I already mentioned time and billing programs for professionals. For example, with a unified OS we might expect to have a PCLaw App that you can use on your desktop, laptop, tablet and mobile phone. Right now, one has to use a separate mobile service to enter time and access client information from non-mobile devices. I would imagine there are countless similar situations in retail or corporate sales, for example, where the user would rather work directly from a smartphone instead of having to pull out a laptop.
    yeppers, i saw that one earlier.

for any others ?
    07-25-2014 02:54 PM
    Here's the problem: Google and Apple ARE DOING THE SAME. So in the end, if Microsoft screws up the unification, those people will still be scorning Microsoft's offerings. Because they'll still be comparing it with Apple and Google.
    But guess who has the largest market share of 90% in the computer os market,hint-apple has the lowest ,google chrome os is a joke unless someone wants to do web browsing or light office work,windows is the only os with true compatibility with everything including games,productivity,media,ability to be installed on existing hardware so no special hardware required
    Googles hype is dying down ,apple is laid back and "invents" features which android and even windows phone and BB10 users have enjoyed for a couple of years
    Windows phone and windows desktops and tablets are more value for money and even the cheap ones are powerful and feel premium and no lag or big bills to pay
    07-26-2014 01:51 AM
    But guess who has the largest market share of 90% in the computer os market,hint-apple has the lowest ,google chrome os is a joke unless someone wants to do web browsing or light office work,windows is the only os with true compatibility with everything including games,productivity,media,ability to be installed on existing hardware so no special hardware required
    Googles hype is dying down ,apple is laid back and "invents" features which android and even windows phone and BB10 users have enjoyed for a couple of years
    Windows phone and windows desktops and tablets are more value for money and even the cheap ones are powerful and feel premium and no lag or big bills to pay
    Yup. Cracks me up every time I hear a apple fan say well I don't have to worry about viruses thinking it reflects the design when in actuality it is becasue apple isn't worth the effort. Target 98% of the market or less than 3% hmm. And the hacker would have to learn the os and go it alone rather than use the work and learning of other hackers. Apple is great marketing that's about it. Anyone can spend the price of an apple laptop or desktop and get a better windows version. Its just that uninformed consumers compare it to the $500 windows laptop or desktop they owned.
    Karthik Naik and pericle like this.
    07-26-2014 02:14 AM
95 1234