Why 2015 might be THE year for Microsoft.

Akhilesh Bhambhani

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
After reading the article Nadella reaffirms Microsoft's commitment to a unified operating system | Windows Phone Central I cant help but think, how amazing 2015 could be for us. A unified OS is like a dream come true, something which apple and google might not just achieve, with 90% Pcs running windows and total 50% on windows 7. The support for Windows 7 ends 2015, threshold just might be a free upgrade, and I cant help but feel optimistic over the infinite amount of advantage we users will have. App released for xbox, Pc and wp, the app gap will definitely close. Cant wait to see what 2015 will bring and unified Os is just what we might need. One team with one common architecture and ONE microsoft.
Somehow feel we just chose the right side and a kickass Phone.
Would love to know from all the experts out there over various applications it can offer and how great can it be?
Is something ethereal expected?

osallent

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft has gotten me into two phones over the last 5 months, the Lumia 520 because I wanted to try the OS without spending a lot of money, and the Lumia 635 because I liked the OS so much that I wanted to have WP 8.1 as soon as possible. If they release WP 9 mid-next year, I'll definitely buy another Lumia phone.

I also have the Surface 2 tablet (which I absolutely love) and a Lenovo ultrabook with Windows 8.1, and a subscription to Office 365. :smile:

I can't wait to see what Windows 9 will bring, and I'll be buying a new tablet, new phone, and new laptop with Windows 9 when it is finally released.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I think it's definitely going to be interesting. One thing he said that really caught my attention: "We're not going to be building hardware for the sake of building hardware." I probably paraphrased. I had already noticed in reading the financials (not like it takes a financial wiz to figure out) that the hardware divisions have a much lower profit margin. Software, once the development phase is completed, costs ZERO DOLLARS PER UNIT. After achieving the break even point, an additional Office subscription is 100% profit. Not so with xbox consoles and phones.

So why buy Nokia? Why compete with Sony PS4? CONTROL.

Look down the map at Apple. Apple may not have a single OS across all platforms, but they have perfected communication between all their devices. How? By controlling all the devices and by growing their own interfaces between them. They don't play well with others and they don't give a damn.

Microsoft's greatest strength and weakness is in partnering with 3rd parties and attempting to establish/maintain industry standards. But at this point, if Miracast can't enable a Microsoft phone communicate with a Microsoft Surface or Xbox, it's time to grow our own.

I do think they're getting focused. While some may grouse about the loss of Xbox Entertainment Studios and original content, movie/series production is not a core competency for MS and, more importantly, it won't increase Xbox sales one iota. People buy Xbox consoles to play games. Movies/TV shows, even one you could Kinect into and insert yourself in the background... that's fluff.

They do need an integration manager. Someone who will ask and oversee the process to make sure that every device that comes to market can communicate in every practical way with every other device that runs Windows.

Like you, Akhilesh, I'm optimistic. But then, I've been a member of the Microsoft club even through the Balmer years.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
For the last couple of years, we've heard two different predictions:

1. Microsoft (and particularly Windows Phone) sales will explode after "insert next update here".
  2. Microsoft (and particularly Windows Phone) will fail.

So far neither has happened. Microsoft continues to be immensely profitable, and Windows Phone sales continue to be immensely sluggish. I too am interested in seeing what happens in the next year. If Threshold is truly going to be a universal platform, I expect some growing pains. So far nobody has seen anything like that, and I don't think it's going to be dropped on the market and be an immediate success. It will take months or years of development and refinement.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Wasnt this the same thinking before Windows 8 was launched, that all those millions of PC users would equal developer support? I'm not sure anything will change even with Threshold, desktop users will stick to the desktop and Microsoft's mobile platforms are not successful enough to bring any substantial benefit for devs. I think Microsoft has to push for bigger marketshare with WP and Windows 8 tablets for Threshold to make any real difference.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Agree and is the reason im starting to learn C# and develop Apps, amazing opportunity.

I know there are scads of free learning resources online, but if you find you need reference books, you might want to check out safaribooksonline.com. All tech/business books, including MSPress, O'Reilly, Que, SAM, etc. $10/mo for a 5-title bookshelf. Swap books in and out, but each slot must be occupied by a title for 30 days before replacing with another. I'm not affiliated, just a fan. This is soooo much cheaper than buying books that will be obsolete in a year.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
OK, 2016 arrives and the unification is complete.

I still don't want (or need) to use the same applications on my phone that I do the computer.

i do different things with each hardware....

what sells threshold/wp9 to users like me?

Akhilesh Bhambhani

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site

I still don't want (or need) to use the same applications on my phone that I do the computer.

You can just avoid installing those apps everywhere I guess.
There will always be some apps which will be better suited for your phone and NOT for your Pc. So we might just have options and better interaction between all devices.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
As of now, people just want new phones as their contracts are ending and they're eligible for upgrades... Microsoft is promising greatness, but it's not soon. So people could wait, but they could also get disappointed. Remember what the XBox One was supposed to be and how far back Microsoft backtracked?
That's the problem I see in the US. Most US consumers do not wait. They upgrade as soon as their contracts end. What will all the 920 users get this fall if there is no new Windows Phone flagship on AT&T?

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site

Translation: I have no interest in Microsoft and repeat that daily at WP Central. What does Microsoft offer for someone like me? Excellent rhetorical question.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
That's the problem I see in the US. Most US consumers do not wait. They upgrade as soon as their contracts end. What will all the 920 users get this fall if there is no new Windows Phone flagship on AT&T?

Two problems I see with that analysis. First, we don't know what will be available this fall. I suspect it will be McLaren lite, but who knows. Second, the 920 is a great device and I think it can easily last until next spring, especially once Cyan helps smooth out the rough edges of WP 8.1. Surely something positive will be released or leaked by November.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Two problems I see with that analysis. First, we don't know what will be available this fall. I suspect it will be McLaren lite, but who knows. Second, the 920 is a great device and I think it can easily last until next spring, especially once Cyan helps smooth out the rough edges of WP 8.1. Surely something positive will be released or leaked by November.
I'm already running 8.1 Preview on my 920, so I have no issues waiting. However, I doubt if the average US consumer who does not follow this site will wait until spring when Apple and Samsung have new devices available this fall, when his/her contract ends.

Daniel seems to agree with me re the urgency of a new device that is not low-end. http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-should-make-lumia-925-successor-now-it-too-late

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm already running 8.1 Preview on my 920, so I have no issues waiting. However, I doubt if the average US consumer who does not follow this site will wait until spring when Apple and Samsung have new devices available this fall, when his/her contract ends.

Well, that's a good point, but I think most of the people with higher-end WP devices aren't average consumers. Many are impatient, I will agree with that. I really think that committed WP users just need to be patient for a couple months only, but I am probably more optimistic than most.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Well, that's a good point, but I think most of the people with higher-end WP devices aren't average consumers. Many are impatient, I will agree with that. I really think that committed WP users just need to be patient for a couple months only, but I am probably more optimistic than most.
I believe most US customers with contracts and post-paid plans tend to go for flagship devices, not entry-level models, especially when the flagship devices of each platform are the same price with subsidy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99