Why 2015 might be THE year for Microsoft.

Svoboda

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Everyone has their own experiences, which is what Microsoft is trying to help everyone realize. although many people do not see the bright side of a unified company and cross platforming stuffs, it is just another added bonus to the entire realm of Windows. No, it wont be a selling point, but when you sit down and realize "oh i can just do this" and "oh its easy since i have this and that" you really understand how nice it is to use a Windows powered machine.

Oh and P.S. that's one BEAUTIFUL Scirocco :)

I think it will be a huge selling point, especially in the business world. If the OneCore system works as theorized, developers can develop one code base and the experience will then be responsive to the device. Think responsive web design which is really hot right now. For a specific example, let's looks at the Junos Pulse VPN application. As it currently stands, you can install it on Windows 8 machines/tablets but it is not available on RT devices nor is it available in the Windows Phone store despite being available for on Apple and Android devices. So now a very popular VPN app that is widely used in corporate America is now available to all Windows user on any device. Companies can then roll out and support a unified OS. Will reduce operating, development and support costs. The potential is quite great actually.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
After reading the article Nadella reaffirms Microsoft's commitment to a unified operating system | Windows Phone Central I cant help but think, how amazing 2015 could be for us. A unified OS is like a dream come true, something which apple and google might not just achieve, with 90% Pcs running windows and total 50% on windows 7. The support for Windows 7 ends 2015, threshold just might be a free upgrade, and I cant help but feel optimistic over the infinite amount of advantage we users will have. App released for xbox, Pc and wp, the app gap will definitely close. Cant wait to see what 2015 will bring and unified Os is just what we might need. One team with one common architecture and ONE microsoft.
Somehow feel we just chose the right side and a kickass Phone.
Would love to know from all the experts out there over various applications it can offer and how great can it be?
Is something ethereal expected?

Absolutely the bleeding of the so called app gap is closing by itself. More and more dev's are joining the platform daily.

Agree 2015 will be interesting year for MSFT. Just me "2015 is the year of the take over" Lol. Again just me. 2018 is the year to throw up the white flag if MSFT still holds a global 3% market share.

2015 will be a powerful year for MSFT. And finally MSFT will be recognize in the Americans continent.

I believe MSFT is moving in the right direction now. Will see only time will tell.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I think i understand how threshold may benefit tablet users, but how does it improve life for phone users?
Think about it this way. If WP has 50 million users right now they will continue to see slow app development. But if an app studio or group can write one app that hits desktop, tablet, and phone users then your user target group exponentially grows. That will make the app gap disappear in the near future regardless of how fast WP grows.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
How will it not? Serious question that I'd like to see a real response to.

I just don't know how it will,
positive or negative, which is why I asked.

I'm looking at it from a typical day of waking up, starting the day, and wondering how it would be different from the phone to the computer throughout the day ?

can someone nail it down for me?

ale2999

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
OK, 2016 arrives and the unification is complete.

I still don't want (or need) to use the same applications on my phone that I do the computer.

i do different things with each hardware....

what sells threshold/wp9 to users like me?

My understanding is that the apps would have graphics elements to adapt to small or big screens. Look at how apps adapt between ipad and iphone....

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Think about it this way. If WP has 50 million users right now they will continue to see slow app development. But if an app studio or group can write one app that hits desktop, tablet, and phone users then your user target group exponentially grows. That will make the app gap disappear in the near future regardless of how fast WP grows.

thanked, liked..

I get that if suddenly there is a wider audience to pitch your application to, yes, having 2 billion users instead of 20 million means there is a better chance of getting some if their dollars.... that part makes sense.

what type of application would actually be used on all three, phone, tablet, PC ?

Svoboda

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
what type of application would actually be used on all three, phone, tablet, PC ?

Games, social media, home automation, home media control, business app like I mentioned in post 42, etc. Honestly, there are fewer things that are single device than.

Svoboda

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
My understanding is that the apps would have graphics elements to adapt to small or big screens. Look at how apps adapt between ipad and iphone....

The best example would be responsive web design. Web designers now have to design one experience that displays beautifully across all resolutions.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Games, social media, home automation, home media control, business app like I mentioned in post 42, etc. Honestly, there are fewer things that are single device than.

OK, games, yes. hadn't thought of those, I'm old I guess.

the automation stuff, social media, would work very nicely in a cross platform thing like a browser, right?

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
thanked, liked..

I get that if suddenly there is a wider audience to pitch your application to, yes, having 2 billion users instead of 20 million means there is a better chance of getting some if their dollars.... that part makes sense.

Evernote is probably a great example. I use that across all of my devices (laptop, iPad, iPhone and Lumia 920). Really useful app.

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
OK, 2016 arrives and the unification is complete.

I still don't want (or need) to use the same applications on my phone that I do the computer.

i do different things with each hardware....

what sells threshold/wp9 to users like me?

If all goes well, what will sell it to you will be the plethora of apps. These apps will be there because releasing the same app on Xbox, Windows, and Windows Phone will mean enough market for app developers to justify the resources required to make it, and the additional work to release on all platforms should be small enough that no one will only make Windows apps while shunning WP. That's the theory anyway, we'll see how well MS delivers.

The multiplatform thing is basically how WP will mooch off of Windows's and Xbox's market share to get apps it otherwise wouldn't.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
The year of Microsoft? That reminds me the year of Linux.

Windows dominates the PC, but in the PC the web killed native development.

A developer would have to choose between a good website that's portable to mac, linux, chromebooks, windows 7/xp. Or an app that is portable to WP and Windows tablets. I think the first option is more attractive.

And of course the debate about what is the best technology. The web that can be indexed (search) and content can be easily be linked, there are universal addresses to each piece of content. Or apps that have better performance and can take advantage of the features of the platform.

If Microsoft wants to leverage the pc users to promote the development of universal apps, they have to create an advantage for native development over the web.

What is the advantage of the Facebook app over the Facebook website, in Windows 8?

StephanW

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I would like to ask what you guys see in unified apps. Because one app won't simply run on a PC and phone. The gap between Windows Phone and Windows (on a tabled) will be smaller but I'm not convinced. Simply for this reason: Apple hasn't done it.

Look down the map at Apple. Apple may not have a single OS across all platforms, but they have perfected communication between all their devices. How? By controlling all the devices and by growing their own interfaces between them. They don't play well with others and they don't give a damn.

Exactly! Because if there's one team who knows UI better than all of us it's them. And I believe they've tested it, oh for sure they have! But came out with the fact it isn't what they wanted.

I'd like the idea of being able to write one app for mulch-purpose devices, but I don't see it happening any time soon. And the world won't adapt so fast. And last but not least, and I'm probably being a **** here: It's Microsoft, remember! Let me explain. There's this video on YouTube where some guys shows that if the background color of his WP device is changed from green to red, it's also being changed from green to red on his PC who's standing behind him. But it's just not "pretty" there's no "eye candy" it should be beautifully designed, when I saw the video it was a little disappointing. Ok, I'm going off-topic here.

Anyway I believe there's more to win for WP than Windows itself with this development. :) We look forward.

mesamit

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
It's Microsoft, remember! Let me explain. There's this video on YouTube where some guys shows that if the background color of his WP device is changed from green to red, it's also being changed from green to red on his PC who's standing behind him. But it's just not "pretty" there's no "eye candy" it should be beautifully designed, when I saw the video it was a little disappointing. Ok, I'm going off-topic here.

Anyway I believe there's more to win for WP than Windows itself with this development. :) We look forward.

just go to settings in your windows phone.....then on sync my settings....turn off theme.....your theme color change in windows phone won't be reflected in your windows devices....

StephanW

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
That's not the point. The point is that if Microsoft will create 'One OS for all devices' it must be the best looking thing ever because it won't turn heads if it isn't. I like the way the Weather app syncs locations between my Windows Phone and Windows Desktop so I believe it's getting okay in the end.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa