Why 2015 might be THE year for Microsoft.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
What I want you Americans to know is that had WP been left to you guys to determine its survival it would've already been a memory!!! WP is being kept alive by consumers OUTSIDE of AMERICA and because of that their/our buying habits vary completely from what is the common practice in the U.S. We don't go out and buy every model there is just because we can, some do but most don't. We buy what we want at the given time and if it can be improved through updates then great, unfortunately this mobile world hasn't been kind to WP simply due to the OS makers. Tell me why is it that many IPhone users who owned the 4 didn't go out and immediately bought the 5 or the GS4 users didn't automatically change to the GS5? Simply put both upgrades offered 1/2 features over what they already had and to some it wasn't a device seller to upgrade to and both companies' account books reflect such. I believe that some WP users are a little "slow" because if I owned a phone that had no notification centre, no customizable lock screens, no home screen background pic capability, no BT 4.0 LE, no true PA and so forth and so on. I would automatically after getting all of that in an update it would be like getting an entirely NEW PHONE!!! Who the f..k cares if IOS or ANDROID has a 10 core processor,3d screen, battery that lasts for a wk before charge needed(would love that for WP) honestly who does more than 2 things at a time on their phone anyways???? All that is needed is for the phone to have modern features and work FLAWLESSLY, more like how it has compared to the competition.

Seriously had WP8.1 and all its features to yr end been here since NOVEMBER 2012, what EXACTLY would U the current WP users be asking MS to add to an already impressive OS?????? Honestly WHAT????

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I'd love to see the looks on the faces of people who laugh and put down Microsoft products these days with zero knowledge about windows 8.x and windows phone 8.x and just assume its inferior to apple and googles offerings,when Microsoft completes the unified experience

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I would like to ask what you guys see in unified apps. Because one app won't simply run on a PC and phone. The gap between Windows Phone and Windows (on a tabled) will be smaller but I'm not convinced. Simply for this reason: Apple hasn't done it.

Exactly! Because if there's one team who knows UI better than all of us it's them. And I believe they've tested it, oh for sure they have! But came out with the fact it isn't what they wanted.

I'd like the idea of being able to write one app for mulch-purpose devices, but I don't see it happening any time soon. And the world won't adapt so fast. And last but not least, and I'm probably being a **** here: It's Microsoft, remember! Let me explain. There's this video on YouTube where some guys shows that if the background color of his WP device is changed from green to red, it's also being changed from green to red on his PC who's standing behind him. But it's just not "pretty" there's no "eye candy" it should be beautifully designed, when I saw the video it was a little disappointing. Ok, I'm going off-topic here.

Anyway I believe there's more to win for WP than Windows itself with this development. :) We look forward.
Really? Apple took existing code (freeware) to develop their current os on desktops. And the one app vision doesn't mean the app is the same across all devices. It means developers can write one app and use developer software to reuse much of tat code and tweak it to work on tablet and phone as well. That way each form factor doesn't have to have the app written specifically for it. One app wouldn't require three versions written separately. It will make app development cheaper and streamlined. Apple is good at image and promotion. Windows is poor at promotion but good at software. Unfortunately in the past they have given in to pressure to release software early (ex vista because windows 7 wasn't ready and they felt they had to push out something. Now they wait until things are ready if there not they don't release it (surface mini, macloren). It will work and will improve through time. And it is a great idea.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Evernote is probably a great example. I use that across all of my devices (laptop, iPad, iPhone and Lumia 920). Really useful app.

finally! yes! there's an application I have used, and can see being useful on all three devices.

OK so we have:
web browsers with sync'd bookmarks/passwords
evernote
games
....?

any other suggestions as to what type of applications will be useful across all three devices?

on threshold:
it seems like the point of a unified os is not very well understood among users. maybe Microsoft just hasn't made the points clear enough yet.

any developers care to point out their own understanding of how they will benefit?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
finally! yes! there's an application I have used, and can see being useful on all three devices.

OK so we have:
web browsers with sync'd bookmarks/passwords
evernote
games
....?

any other suggestions as to what type of applications will be useful across all three devices?

on threshold:
it seems like the point of a unified os is not very well understood among users. maybe Microsoft just hasn't made the points clear enough yet.

any developers care to point out their own understanding of how they will benefit?

Streaming media apps. For instance I like finishing a Netflix show or movie I started watching on my PC on my phone or vice versa. The Netflix apps sync and pick up on one device where it left off on another device.

StephanW

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Really? Apple took existing code (freeware) to develop their current os on desktops. And the one app vision doesn't mean the app is the same across all devices. It means developers can write one app and use developer software to reuse much of tat code and tweak it to work on tablet and phone as well. That way each form factor doesn't have to have the app written specifically for it. One app wouldn't require three versions written separately. It will make app development cheaper and streamlined. Apple is good at image and promotion. Windows is poor at promotion but good at software. Unfortunately in the past they have given in to pressure to release software early (ex vista because windows 7 wasn't ready and they felt they had to push out something. Now they wait until things are ready if there not they don't release it (surface mini, macloren). It will work and will improve through time. And it is a great idea.

Yes, you're idea that one "source code" would fit to all devices is in the world of a developer brilliant. But it's only brilliant if it's two steps better than the alternative. Let's stick with Apple for the examples. They create the hard and software. Microsoft now does the same when they bought the Nokia brand. So Windows Phone will (hopefully) in the end be totally written from the core for Lumia's exclusively.

Windows isn't. So therefor I don't see the point (yet) that native apps who can run on either Windows 8.1 Pro or Windows Phone 8.1. Only if it's massively better than the alternative. Cutting costs for dev. will help making the market more interesting. And it's indeed a good idea, but I don't see it coming to life as we are all hoping for it will.

Sorry above post could have been written much better. 15 hours in on a 16 hour shift.

I don't see something wrong with it?

We will have to wait and see, now won't we?

That's it. Thread closed. :D

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Streaming media apps. For instance I like finishing a Netflix show or movie I started watching on my PC on my phone or vice versa. The Netflix apps sync and pick up on one device where it left off on another device.

goooood, yes, keep em coming.

Netflix, evernote do that now...

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site

I already mentioned time and billing programs for professionals. For example, with a unified OS we might expect to have a PCLaw App that you can use on your desktop, laptop, tablet and mobile phone. Right now, one has to use a separate mobile service to enter time and access client information from non-mobile devices. I would imagine there are countless similar situations in retail or corporate sales, for example, where the user would rather work directly from a smartphone instead of having to pull out a laptop.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'd love to see the looks on the faces of people who laugh and put down Microsoft products these days with zero knowledge about windows 8.x and windows phone 8.x and just assume its inferior to apple and googles offerings,when Microsoft completes the unified experience

Here's the problem: Google and Apple ARE DOING THE SAME. So in the end, if Microsoft screws up the unification, those people will still be scorning Microsoft's offerings. Because they'll still be comparing it with Apple and Google.

btgusto

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
2015 will be better than 2014 but will it be THE year? I don't think so. I can only hope that consumers come around and look at MS with a better view. Cant wait to see next years version of the surface and what a Microsoft labelled phone will look like. Will there be UI changes with threshold for phones? This new "onewindows" is a march forward but 2015 is not THE year.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I already mentioned time and billing programs for professionals. For example, with a unified OS we might expect to have a PCLaw App that you can use on your desktop, laptop, tablet and mobile phone. Right now, one has to use a separate mobile service to enter time and access client information from non-mobile devices. I would imagine there are countless similar situations in retail or corporate sales, for example, where the user would rather work directly from a smartphone instead of having to pull out a laptop.

yeppers, i saw that one earlier.

for any others ?

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Here's the problem: Google and Apple ARE DOING THE SAME. So in the end, if Microsoft screws up the unification, those people will still be scorning Microsoft's offerings. Because they'll still be comparing it with Apple and Google.

But guess who has the largest market share of 90% in the computer os market,hint-apple has the lowest ,google chrome os is a joke unless someone wants to do web browsing or light office work,windows is the only os with true compatibility with everything including games,productivity,media,ability to be installed on existing hardware so no special hardware required
Googles hype is dying down ,apple is laid back and "invents" features which android and even windows phone and BB10 users have enjoyed for a couple of years
Windows phone and windows desktops and tablets are more value for money and even the cheap ones are powerful and feel premium and no lag or big bills to pay

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
But guess who has the largest market share of 90% in the computer os market,hint-apple has the lowest ,google chrome os is a joke unless someone wants to do web browsing or light office work,windows is the only os with true compatibility with everything including games,productivity,media,ability to be installed on existing hardware so no special hardware required
Googles hype is dying down ,apple is laid back and "invents" features which android and even windows phone and BB10 users have enjoyed for a couple of years
Windows phone and windows desktops and tablets are more value for money and even the cheap ones are powerful and feel premium and no lag or big bills to pay
Yup. Cracks me up every time I hear a apple fan say well I don't have to worry about viruses thinking it reflects the design when in actuality it is becasue apple isn't worth the effort. Target 98% of the market or less than 3% hmm. And the hacker would have to learn the os and go it alone rather than use the work and learning of other hackers. Apple is great marketing that's about it. Anyone can spend the price of an apple laptop or desktop and get a better windows version. Its just that uninformed consumers compare it to the $500 windows laptop or desktop they owned.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
However MS doesn't exist in a vacuum. Look at what Apple & Google are doing with OS unification with much prettier looking UIs on TOP of massive ecosystems that people are actually using. Remember there are 1.2 billion Android devices & 800 million iOS devices. That's 2 billion non-Windows devices out there consuming services.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Windows has massive penetration in the corporate world and laptop/desktop os. True windows phone is a small percent but that is the point of this. The unification will assist its growth app wise.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Windows has massive penetration in the corporate world and laptop/desktop os. True windows phone is a small percent but that is the point of this. The unification will assist its growth app wise.

think of some applications you would like to work with on the phone, laptop and PC ... are there many ?

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

That desperate cling to the still dominating position on the PC market may end up being exactly what ruins Microsoft's chances and it's what's been dragging it down. Yes, they dominate the PC market. Excellent. Now focus on what you don't dominate..

Yes, Microsoft basically monopolizes the PC market. The problem is, the PC market has been shrinking for years. On the other hand, the mobile market has been growing and there, Microsoft command less than 5%. So what you may end up in the near future is Microsoft ruling a market yes...but a small market.
If you think that someone with an iPhone and an iPad will exchange those for a Surface and a Windows Phone just because they have a Windows PC; or that someone with an Android phone and tablet will exchange it for a Surface and a Windows Phone just because they have a Windows PC...well, you're sorely mistaken.
When the time comes for people to chose which thing they'll sacrifice in favour of a unified OS...their choice of phones and tablets will dictate the outcome, not their choice of PC. That one will be replaced for a Mac or a Chromebook (ok, let's take a moment to laugh here...no one in their right mind will buy a Chromebook lol).

That's why Microsoft has to really nail the unification of Windows AND take it one step further. Unifying Windows into one single platform is not enough. For the private consumer, they need to have compelling hardware that attracts them to buy a Windows Phone and a Surface (or some other Windows tablet). For that Microsoft needs to bring along OEMs. They will NOT be able to do it themselves. Microsoft isn't Apple. And they shouldn't even try to be Apple. Here I think Nadella has the right direction. Microsoft is a software company. That's what they do best, that's what they've always done better. Software. Microsoft needs to nail down the software. Make it as amazing as Windows was when it came out over 20 years ago. Then get OEMs to produce compelling hardware.
They do that and OEM will be happy because they'll be able to start offering people bundles. "Want this Windows PC? You know you can use it seamlessly with this Phone that also runs Windows? Get our bundle today and have one experience everywhere!" etc etc.

They just have to nail down the unification. Because Apple and Google are doing the same. And whilst a Chromebook is pathetic...a PC running Android won't be. A PC running Android will threaten Windows more than Mac's OS X and friends.

blackguard

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
think of some applications you would like to work with on the phone, laptop and PC ... are there many ?
Admittedly, zero. I get along just fine using the mobile and desktop browser versions for emailing and web browser because all I need them to do is sync bookmarks and history and preferences. Can't think of anything off the top of my head.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb