The Fall of the Lumia 6XX series

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Anyone remember the Lumia 620? It had 90 percent of all the features of the 920 including NFC, clearback display and a FFC. It had a small screen (subjective) but a bad battery. Otherwise, at its price it was a solid device and my first WP. It was followed by the 625 which was slightly faster with a bigger battery, screen and included LTE as well as a better design Imo. What went wrong was that the screen lacked both clearback display and glance and it dropped NFC and one other sensor which disables live sight. Otherwise, still pretty solid.
Lumia 630 now drops NFC, loads of sensors, camera button, a dialed down "clearback display" and the ffc. It may or may not have 1GB of ram and comes with a quad core processor. Where does this go wrong? Every device after the 620 had been a downgrade of sorts. If the 620 was merely updated with no downgrades, the 630 would have been an instant buy for me. Instead I'll go with the 930, which is...I suppose...the idea

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Anyone remember the Lumia 620? It had 90 percent of all the features of the 920 including NFC, clearback display and a FFC. It had a small screen (subjective) but a bad battery. Otherwise, at its price it was a solid device and my first WP. It was followed by the 625 which was slightly faster with a bigger battery, screen and included LTE as well as a better design Imo. What went wrong was that the screen lacked both clearback display and glance and it dropped NFC and one other sensor which disables live sight. Otherwise, still pretty solid.
Lumia 630 now drops NFC, loads of sensors, camera button, a dialed down "clearback display" and the ffc. It may or may not have 1GB of ram and comes with a quad core processor. Where does this go wrong? Every device after the 620 had been a downgrade of sorts. If the 620 was merely updated with no downgrades, the 630 would have been an instant buy for me. Instead I'll go with the 930, which is...I suppose...the idea

63x doesn't have 1GB of memory, except the China only 638.

620 also had a camera flash :smile:

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I think Microsoft is relocating your devices category. Lumia 530 is a very low end device and Lumia 630 is a truly low end. 620 was almost a midrange device, like you remember.

I think Microsoft is in the right path now. Creating a gap between yours devices. Now we have a huge hole between 630 and 930 and it's good. Maybe a 730 or a 830 with midrange hardware is coming.

osallent

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Not this same stuff again. It's only been explained 50 times already. The new 530 is meant to be a truly low end no thrills entry level WP for bargain basement prices, and the 635 is the true successor of the 520. The 630 is a developing world successor to the 520 with the dual sim technology that will come in handy in India and other developing nations.

Does no one bother reading the previous threads on the same subject before they open a new one needlessly every day to rehash the same drama that's been dealt with 50 times already?

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Not this same stuff again. It's only been explained 50 times already. The new 530 is meant to be a truly low end no thrills entry level WP for bargain basement prices, and the 635 is the true successor of the 520. The 630 is a developing world successor to the 520 with the dual sim technology that will come in handy in India and other developing nations.

Does no one bother reading the previous threads on the same subject before they open a new one needlessly every day to rehash the same drama that's been dealt with 50 times already?
***Ing hell mate, I was just making an observation.
Oh and please, show ne a few of those posts you speak of

Last edited:

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I think Microsoft is relocating your devices category. Lumia 530 is a very low end device and Lumia 630 is a truly low end. 620 was almost a midrange device, like you remember.

I think Microsoft is in the right path now. Creating a gap between yours devices. Now we have a huge hole between 630 and 930 and it's good. Maybe a 730 or a 830 with midrange hardware is coming.
Yeah the 620 was midrange. Now its fallen to low end. Though its be great if the 630 kept the features and went for the same pricing. Like a Nexus thing

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Hence why I'm upgrading mine to a 1520 - it's the only recent model I see as a definite upgrade with regard to features - bigger screen, bigger battery, 4G support, more memory, more storage. It's got everything the 620 had and more.

nanowerx

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
The 6xx series is the new 5xx series. MS did this for a reason, now Asha/Feature/extreme low budget phones will be the 5xx line.

Apparently the number 4 has bad ju-ju in Japan, so there won't be a 4xx series.

So fear not, your precious 6xx line is safe, those phones will now just be labeled 7xx.

osallent

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
***Ing hell mate, I was just making an observation.
Oh and please, show ne a few of those posts you speak of

It's been mentioned plenty of times. You can find the posts yourself. Looking back on it though, I could have said it in a nicer gentler way, or not said anything at all. O well!

MarCou

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Maybe MS learned this model number style from Nokia. And at the end of line nobody nobody knows what some model number means. Like Nokia before smartphones. They probably used all possible number combinations with 3 and 4 digits. Some had good camera, some not, some played music, some not, one could have flash and some other don't...

http://www.omio.com/phones/nokia/old

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
The number ranges were different target users - I think the 6000 series was business orientated, 7000 series - gimmicky/experimental designs, 3000 and 5000 series were more youth targeted, 8000 was the more fashion orientated range - remember the gold one? 9000 was Communicator (the predecessor to the E series) and so on.

MarCou

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Yes I remember golden Nokia. It was one of the 8800 models, also known as 'Zippo'.

Model numbers supposed to go somehow that way, but it became just a terrible mess. You might bought a new phone and at home you discovered it didn't have a f***** flash. Cos you didn't even checked that in store cos your 4 years old phone had it. Realizing that all you got was newer version of Worms was frustrating.

Nokia made this for years in their consumers products. They didn't bring anything new, they just circulated old features. That's one of the reasons why Apple succeeded so well. People were looking for something new but Nokia just updated Worms.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
This is why Lumia branding has to disappear. Go with Surface Phone, maybe 3 variants(high-end, mid, low-end). 3 phones. Is it that difficult?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett