Microsoft or google services?

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
So right now I'm in the process of deciding wether I want to use all Microsoft services or all google services.

So basically it's using bing, outlook.com, onedrive ,onenote , office 365, Outlook calendar/contact sync, skype

VS

Using google search, google drive, docs and sheets, gmail, google calendar/contacts , and hangouts.

Or maybe I can just mix and match between them, but won't I lose functionality and them working together.

also , do you guys think the privacy concerns with google are worth worrying about or should stop us from using and enjoying their services? I'm kinda 50/50 on it.

I should note that I use a iphone and iPad, but I also use a PC. What do you guys think?

Stephen Vogel

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
On this forum you are going to get most folks recommend the Microsoft option. I also have an iPad and all Microsoft services work very well on it. That said, if you are outside the US I wouldn't recommend Bing as the results are very US centric and many location based searches will give you poor results on Bing.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I took the plunge and moved everything from Google, Apple and some others over to Microsoft. It was worth the pain in my view. Although they'll all claim to support each other's services, it was just too much hassle e.g. Google Calendars only sync into Outlook.com after >24 hours.
I'm outside the US and I found Bing results pretty good. Took it a while to be as relevant to me as Google results, but Google had 10+ years of my search history to analyse. Bing's fine for me now.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
On this forum you are going to get most folks recommend the Microsoft option. I also have an iPad and all Microsoft services work very well on it. That said, if you are outside the US I wouldn't recommend Bing as the results are very US centric and many location based searches will give you poor results on Bing.

What MS services do you use on the iPad?

Stephen Vogel

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm outside the US and I found Bing results pretty good. Took it a while to be as relevant to me as Google results, but Google had 10+ years of my search history to analyse. Bing's fine for me now.

That's good to know. I might have to make more of an effort with Bing

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Calender, outlook.com email, Skype, Office ( I have subscription) OneDrive. Microsoft Calendar and email sync quickly and easily with native ios email and calendar apps

Well, the only MS product I own is a PC and a XBOX, So I was wondering if it made sense going with MS for calendar/contacts, online storage with onedrive, note taking with one note, email with outlook.com, and video calling with Skype? I know MS is really trying to be cross platform now. But they still are a major competitor to apple.

Stephen Vogel

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Looking at it from the point of view of your PC, Google services look cluttered and visually unappealing on a PC in my opinion and there is very little iCloud support for PC so Microsoft services for me are ideal on a PC. All these services are also well supported on your i gadgets, even xbox music.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
So right now I'm in the process of deciding wether I want to use all Microsoft services or all google services.

So basically it's using bing, outlook.com, onedrive ,onenote , office 365, Outlook calendar/contact sync, skype

VS

Using google search, google drive, docs and sheets, gmail, google calendar/contacts , and hangouts.

Or maybe I can just mix and match between them, but won't I lose functionality and them working together.

also , do you guys think the privacy concerns with google are worth worrying about or should stop us from using and enjoying their services? I'm kinda 50/50 on it.

I should note that I use a iphone and iPad, but I also use a PC. What do you guys think?

I was actually all Apple services, switched to all Google services and now all MS services and couldn't be happier and with the one platform coming, even more so.

Gmail is rubbish, I have a trash account for subscriptions and use a gmail account for that. If you use desktop outlook (most of the business world does) then when you send/receive messages from people with gmail accounts you get messages with double line spacing, looks very unprofessional and you immediately know they have gmail. Outlook 365 v Docs? well the world uses Office, I run a IT recruitment company so see CV's every day in Word format, if I had docs id go out of business. Calendars - for good experience use either on Android or WP.

Mixing and matching - just don't do it, stick to either google OR Microsoft you will most likely have some issue at some point if you mix it. I had loads.

Privacy concern - Google have admitted all gmail emails are scanned both received and sent - what do they do with this info? probably sell it or most likely use to better target adverts at you.

iPhone/iPad - I also have an iPad (and Surface Pro2) The iPad is my goto device for quick browsing/watching Netflix in bed and also in the kitchen when cooking as I don't care if it gets covered in flour lol. No issues with the apps I use.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I was actually all Apple services, switched to all Google services and now all MS services and couldn't be happier and with the one platform coming, even more so.

Gmail is rubbish, I have a trash account for subscriptions and use a gmail account for that. If you use desktop outlook (most of the business world does) then when you send/receive messages from people with gmail accounts you get messages with double line spacing, looks very unprofessional and you immediately know they have gmail. Outlook 365 v Docs? well the world uses Office, I run a IT recruitment company so see CV's every day in Word format, if I had docs id go out of business. Calendars - for good experience use either on Android or WP.

Mixing and matching - just don't do it, stick to either google OR Microsoft you will most likely have some issue at some point if you mix it. I had loads.

Privacy concern - Google have admitted all gmail emails are scanned both received and sent - what do they do with this info? probably sell it or most likely use to better target adverts at you.

iPhone/iPad - I also have an iPad (and Surface Pro2) The iPad is my goto device for quick browsing/watching Netflix in bed and also in the kitchen when cooking as I don't care if it gets covered in flour lol. No issues with the apps I use.

I may get a MacBook one day (unless I can find a windows laptop that's as good) how do you think the microsoft services would perform there?

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
You could run Windows your Mac :smile:
And MS is putting more effort into their apps/services for iOS than they are for their own platforms. They should be good.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
If you are in USA then both are good but if you are not then no doubt Google offer superior services than MS.
This according to services in my country.
In my country most of MS services are totally cr*p.

I think you should try both and decide yourself what is good for you. Instead of asking others.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I may get a MacBook one day (unless I can find a windows laptop that's as good) how do you think the microsoft services would perform there?

I had a MacBook Pro. Office for Mac came out and was a terrible experience, it was put together by a bunch of students, I hope its sorted out now! You could get Mac to run like PC but whats the point? it will be slower.

I guess it all depends on your own individual needs. Before purchasing make sure the software/workflow you require works well. MS is committed to services across platforms so OneDrive, email will not be a problem. Its an individual choice though, perhaps you love the design (I do) and that's enough reason to get it :)

clvrbas

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I use both Google Services and MS Services. They both have worked really well for me. What I have noticed (obviously) is they work seamless with h their OS (Chrome, Android, Windows, WP).

On Android the suite of MS office works good with One drive and the built in email client handles email really well. In fact its a little better than WP email app.

Over all I am a Windows and WP guy and I would go Microsoft all the way due to them moving unify their products.

P.S. I know I mentioned Android a lot, I am trying it out see what people love about it. I am a WP supporter 100%.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
I had a MacBook Pro. Office for Mac came out and was a terrible experience, it was put together by a bunch of students, I hope its sorted out now! You could get Mac to run like PC but whats the point? it will be slower.

I guess it all depends on your own individual needs. Before purchasing make sure the software/workflow you require works well. MS is committed to services across platforms so OneDrive, email will not be a problem. Its an individual choice though, perhaps you love the design (I do) and that's enough reason to get it :)
Wrong.
MS isn't commited to services across platforms.
If they are then it's totally fake.

Check Linux.
Their isn't a single MS service.

paulsalter

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
When I was doing similar I ran both in parallel for a couple of months to see which I preferred, it was a pain as changing anything was double the effort (change contact on google, also change for ms), but doing this gave me a good feel for both ecosystems

wouldn't say either was better, just different way of doing things and different look, I eventually picked MS services as for me their web apps are a lot nicer and I was getting a new Win Laptop at the time also though MS would be better overall

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Wrong.
MS isn't commited to services across platforms.
If they are then it's totally fake.

Check Linux.
Their isn't a single MS service.

Are you trying to say you cant use Onedrive on an iPhone/iPad or Mac? Are you saying Office doesn't exist for Mac or iOS?

osallent

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I am one of those who is moving from Google based to Windows based services. I started by getting the Surface 2 tablet and opening an Office 365 account, and from there naturally everything led to getting a Skype account, an outlook account, a Windows 8.1 laptop to better interface with Windows services, and now a Windows phone. Just about the only things Google I still enjoy are Youtube and Google as my default search engine on my laptop, though I find myself starting to use Bing more as my tablet and cellphone usage increase.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I am one of those who is moving from Google based to Windows based services. I started by getting the Surface 2 tablet and opening an Office 365 account, and from there naturally everything led to getting a Skype account, an outlook account, a Windows 8.1 laptop to better interface with Windows services, and now a Windows phone. Just about the only things Google I still enjoy are Youtube and Google as my default search engine on my laptop, though I find myself starting to use Bing more as my tablet and cellphone usage increase.

Honestly, I don't think I can go to windows phone, at least not yet. The app situation is still rather shaky and if rather see where the platforms at in a year or two. They're getting there , though . And while I would prefer a PC for my desktop (gaming), I'm unsure if I'd get a win 8.1 laptop over a MacBook. MacBook get better reviews than pretty much any windows laptop, and I've heard some windows laptop horror stories.

I do like Microsoft though, I like them as a company. It's just I don't think I can use their devices for phones and tablets and maybe even laptops. So that's why I wanted to still use there services , but on my iOS devices and possible MacBook and desktop PC. (Note: only things I own right now are a family PC, iPad 4, iPhone 5s, and Apple TV. ) I don't have a laptop.)

But I didn't know how well they integrated with iOS and mac in comparison to google because google has a active incentive to make their services awesome on all platforms. Microsoft is always going to favor windows devices, no?

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I don't think I can go to windows phone, at least not yet. The app situation is still rather shaky and if rather see where the platforms at in a year or two. They're getting there , though . And while I would prefer a PC for my desktop (gaming), I'm unsure if I'd get a win 8.1 laptop over a MacBook. MacBook get better reviews than pretty much any windows laptop, and I've heard some windows laptop horror stories.

I do like Microsoft though, I like them as a company. It's just I don't think I can use their devices for phones and tablets and maybe even laptops. So that's why I wanted to still use there services , but on my iOS devices and possible MacBook and desktop PC. (Note: only things I own right now are a family PC, iPad 4, iPhone 5s, and Apple TV. ) I don't have a laptop.)

But I didn't know how well they integrated with iOS and mac in comparison to google because google has a active incentive to make their services awesome on all platforms. Microsoft is always going to favor windows devices, no?

If your setup works for you then great, no need to change it tbh. Many people end up 'tinkering' with the system and get nothing done rather than having a trusted system and be productive. Reason I changed was my needs changed so couldn't use Apple products anymore. If my needs hadn't changed id still be all in with Apple.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99