How is WP in the US? Are you seeing a lot more of WPs in your neighborhood? Are there lots of TV commercials about it? Any billboards or something?

Just thought of asking this question coz I remember reading an article that MS will push the Lumia Icon as its 'hero device', that they'll advertise it properly, etc.

BTW sorry for my English. ๐Ÿ˜Š
    07-26-2014 07:49 PM
    It still hasn't caught on well here in the US. Hopefully that will change soon. I personally know a few people with WPs but I rarely see the phones at random when I'm out in public. I might see 5 to 10 a year is all. I don't watch much TV but I have seen some commercials. Also sometimes there are signs and dedicated sections at stores, particularly AT&T and Verizon, but unfortunately most salespeople don't push the phones; they tend to steer customers towards iPhones or Samsung Galaxy.
    LumiaWorld and osallent like this.
    07-26-2014 07:55 PM
    So the situation is still the same... Hoping for Microsoft to push their marketing further...
    07-26-2014 07:59 PM
    Microsoft relies on sales people at phone stores to market and cell their phones, which is a big mistake. The first time I bought a Windows phone, the Nokias were in a dark corner of the store. You had to walk past a gauntlet of employees trying to steer you to the huge and well-lit displays for the IPhone and Samsung phones, and only then would you be able to see 2 or 3 Windows phones in a neglected corner of the store. After looking around for 30 minutes, I decided to get a Windows Phone, and the salespeople spent almost 15 minutes trying to talk me out of it and telling me to buy a Samsung or Apple phone instead. I finally got angry and told them to either take my money and let me get the phone I wanted or let me walk out and go somewhere else where I could spend my money the way I wanted.

The second time purchasing a Windows Phone was the same. This other store also had huge Samsung and Apple displays and the Windows Phones were displayed very poorly and without much thought. The salesperson flat out told me "Windows phone? Who the hell would ever want a Windows Phone? Let me show you the new products from Samsung." I got really annoyed and told him to get the manager, who apologized and rang the sale (and threw in a free cell phone case as an apology.)

The sale staff at these cell phone stores are basically trained to sell Apple and Samsung products, and know nothing about any other product. If Microsoft executives actually bothered to go to a regular cell phone store and see how poorly their products are treated, how the staff treats people if they try to buy something other than an Apple or Samsung phone, and how little the staff knows about their products, they would be appalled. But I doubt the big wigs at Microsoft have seen the situation. Probably too busy being flown around in their helicopters and have not stepped into an actual cell phone store in years.
    LumiaWorld likes this.
    07-27-2014 12:10 AM
    Now that's a major problem MS MUST FIX. Was that mentioned already at Uservoice?
    07-27-2014 03:49 AM
    My experience was totally different and positive when buying my first WP 1520 a few months ago. I had already decided to get the 1520, so when I first walked in the ATT store I noticed WPhones and tablets were displayed in 2 different areas, one was right in the middle of the store where they were quite visible and the other was at the back wall next to the Samsung Galaxies. I went straight to where the 1520 were displayed and the salespersons were polite and never even once tried to sell me a crapple or android. The salespeople were also highly knowledgeable and answered each and every question correctly when I asked them, I already knew the answers but just checked to see how they would react to my questions.
    LumiaWorld and osallent like this.
    07-27-2014 06:44 AM
    My experience was totally different and positive when buying my first WP 1520 a few months ago. I had already decided to get the 1520, so when I first walked in the ATT store I noticed WPhones and tablets were displayed in 2 different areas, one was right in the middle of the store where they were quite visible and the other was at the back wall next to the Samsung Galaxies. I went straight to where the 1520 were displayed and the salespersons were polite and never even once tried to sell me a crapple or android. The salespeople were also highly knowledgeable and answered each and every question correctly when I asked them, I already knew the answers but just checked to see how they would react to my questions.
    Good thing there are some unbiased sales reps out there ๐Ÿ˜Š I hope there will be more of them in the future
    07-27-2014 07:38 AM
    I've been to a few different AT&T stores by myself and with others and I have never actually experienced an issue where someone actually tried to talk me out of a Windows Phone. However, it's clear when I walk in that I am very knowledgeable about the product and that I've already made up my mind. I think it also helped that I, or whoever I brought, already had either a Windows Phone or old Windows Mobile phone. As for customers who have limited technical knowledge, this is where the steering towards iPhones and Samsung Galaxies take place, and many of these customers come in because they want the same phone that a friend or family member has and more often than not, it is one of these 2 phones so the salesperson will agree. Those who blindly come in the salesperson will consider that most customers buy one of these 2 phones and inform the customer these are the most popular. This is how the steering is done in my observations. It's something that is difficult to overcome.
    07-27-2014 12:19 PM
    I am seeing more windows phones in the wild here in the Midwest.
    07-27-2014 12:43 PM