Smartphone OS Market Share

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I recently discovered the Kantar Worldpanel visualization of Smartphone OS Market Share (Smartphone OS market share - Kantar Worldpanel ComTech).

It's great for seeing how things looked at any given point in time, but it's not so great if you want to see trends over time.

So, being a data analyst by profession, I manually scraped the data from their viz (hand-entered the numbers into an Excel sheet) and used Tableau to create this viz:

https://public.tableausoftware.com/...Share/KantarWorldpanelSmartphoneOSMarketShare

Just look at the dominance of Android. It's really quite daunting when you look at it this way. Even iOS has lost some traction.

But look at Windows Phone! It's somehow managed to grow a teeny bit, overall! And in some countries it's even managed to carve out at least 10% (see Argentina and France)!

What do you think? Will Windows Phone be able to continue this steady growth?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks very interesting.
I like to study data as a hobby also.

Windows does look somewhat dismal compared to.
I think the key to WP's success is keeping things simple first then pushing low cost smartphones to potentials outside the mainstream.

A newbie like myself always wanted a smartphone, yet paying 4-600 dollars for one was the roadblock.
A 600 dollar phone to me should be viable for at least three years because that kind of money for a handheld would be an unobtainable luxury for my lifestyle.

Trying to say that with any luck WP's salvation will be low cost simple reliable devices.

AndyM72

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Market Share isn't the important metric. Installed Base (in particular the in use installed base) is more important, because that gives you a better measure of how many potential customers an app has. To put this in perspective, people are still using the iPhone 4, because it runs iOS 7. That phone came out the same time as the Samsung Galaxy S, which hasn't had an OS update in years. Who's still using one? No one!

This is something I would hope MS learn, if you EOL a device too early, your current market share will be replacing, not expanding the WP market.

You want to know how many phones are still in use? It's the last two years of WP and Android sales, but the last four years of iPhone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes