My Titan II has tapped out=(

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
For no apparent reason, my HTC Titan II shut off yesterday and wont turn back on. The charging light doesn't come on when I plug it in, so im guessing either the battery is bad or the phone is just done. I took it to a repair place and they said it might be 3 days before they know what the problem is.

In the meantime I am considering my options. I have a free (ish) upgrade available on AT&T, but I don't really want a 1520 or 1020, and I don't want to waste my 2 year contract upgrade on a 925 or a 920. I am considering just getting a cheaper used phone off of ebay. A 920 or 925 would do nicely until MS releases a new flagship on AT&T.

I can get a good condition 920 for about $100 or a 925 for about $150. I don't want to spend that much on a phone that I only plan to have for 6 months (hopefully not that long...).

Is the 925 significantly better than the 920? Is it worth the extra money to get a 925? It should feel like a pretty big upgrade either way since I am coming off of WP7. Will a 920 receive all of the recent updates?

Hopefully my phone will come back to me intact, as I am happy with it and don't want to spend a bunch of money if I don't need to. Otherwise it looks like I have to get something new.

Taigatrommel

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
The first Gen Pureview devices are all very similar in terms of internal hardware.

Both the 920 and 925 share the same SoC, the same amount of RAM, the same display resolution and the same battery.
Differences start with the built-in memory, the 920 comes with 32 GB, the 925 only offers 16 GB. The 920 also features integrated Qi wireless charging, at the expense of being thicker and heavier. Talking about the housing, the former Pureview flagship has a unibody polycarbonate shell. The newer model has an aluminum frame with a polycarbonate back.

In terms of updates, both phones will get Cyan and most likely (IMHO) update 1. Yet the Cyan update doesn't feature all the stuff the newer gen devices get.

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't sound like there are many reasons to get the 925. I guess the Camera should be better but either way its probably a step down from the camera on the Titan.

Taigatrommel

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
The 925s camera has an additional lens which is said to improve image quality. Yet most people seem to say you can't really spot a difference.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Unless you value metal, relative slimness over colorful plastic + Qi + more memory, and that makes up for the $50 markup, sure. But I wouldn't go for that. I own a 920.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I have a Titan 2 if you want to purchase it. It was one of my favorite devices. I also have a Lumia 920 but that's not for sale

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't know, if this one is broken I think im just going to get a 920. I want to try some of the new features if I can. 925 doesn't sound that great compared to 920.

trwrt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I went with the 925 for the slimness and (especially) lightness. I've carried enough Kyoceras and Treos in my lifetime to never want another thick heavy phone banging against my leg all day with every step. But that's just me, YMMV, etc.

fdokos

Oct 21, 2011
www.greekberry.com
I was in the same dilema about a month ago. I went for the 920, since it was cheaper and has an IPS LCD screen compared to the amoled screen the 925 has...i didn't mind the weight difference since i prefer to have the choice of wireless charging. So for me it's 920 all the way!
Sent from my Lumia 920

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
If it's a temp phone you may want to consider a 635 for $99 brand new, no contract. Then just keep it in a drawer and use it if you ever have issues or use it as a loaner if any friends run into issues or want to check out WP. If you are thinking about a fitbit you can get the 635 and the flex for $150 at the MS store.

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I ended up getting a 920 on ebay for $90. There were pics that looked decent (they weren't stock photos), but there was also a message stating that these weren't actual pics of the phone, but should represent the state that the phone is in. I guess im rolling the dice on this. I liked the size and shape of the Titan, and the camera will certainly be a downgrade with the 920. It will be nice to have WP 8.1 after being stuck on WP 7.5 for so long.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I ended up getting a 920 on ebay for $90. There were pics that looked decent (they weren't stock photos), but there was also a message stating that these weren't actual pics of the phone, but should represent the state that the phone is in. I guess im rolling the dice on this. I liked the size and shape of the Titan, and the camera will certainly be a downgrade with the 920. It will be nice to have WP 8.1 after being stuck on WP 7.5 for so long.

Oh, man good luck with that.

A bit late now but you also could of bought the Lumia 635 for $100 as a backup until something better came out. It's listed as an AT&T GoPhone but I've had no problems swapping my SIM between my (then) 920 and 520. Then you could have stepped up to that sweet WP8.1 while waiting for something better.

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I thought my 920 WOULD be able to get 8.1! I guess it wont? They make these updates so complicated. I wanted more storage than the 635 would offer. Even on my Titan I had to regularly swap out songs and delete photos and such. Now at least I have double the storage to work with.

I am pretty skeptical of what they are going to deliver to me. I hope it is as shown online. I don't expect a flawless device, but as long as it is functional and not damage blocking the screen, I am fine with it.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I thought my 920 WOULD be able to get 8.1! I guess it wont? They make these updates so complicated. I wanted more storage than the 635 would offer. Even on my Titan I had to regularly swap out songs and delete photos and such. Now at least I have double the storage to work with.

I am pretty skeptical of what they are going to deliver to me. I hope it is as shown online. I don't expect a flawless device, but as long as it is functional and not damage blocking the screen, I am fine with it.

It WILL be able to get 8.1.
It already is, because of the dev preview, but officially, its still in the pipeline. I don't know what they're up to over in MS Mobile. I'd love if they just came out and said "here's where we stand, we hope to push cyan for this, this, and this by next week, we had a minor roadblock with this model, so it'll be delayed..." and otherwise casually said something other than soon, soon, soon.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Looks like Dev Preview is the way to go. Does 920 support everything or do I need a newer model for some of the features?

You will need to have a higher end model if you want Miracast (IIRC), that SensorCore stuff, and other small hardware dependent features.
I think you'd be just fine though. I am.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb