Is Verizon the new go-to network for Windows Phone in the US? Sure seems that way.

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Looks like Verizon is getting another exclusive on high end Windows phones. Now it looks as if the HTC One (M8) for Windows is going to be a Verizon exclusive. That means AT&T hasn't gotten a new high-end WP since the 1520 was released almost 9 months ago and probably won't have one for at least another 6-9 months. Sure, they've got the 630 and other low-end devices but all of the good stuff seems to be going to Verizon now. Now that McLaren is canceled and there are no known flagships on Microsoft's drawing board, things aren't looking good for being able to buy a new WP any time soon if you're on AT&T and want something current.

Honestly, if this keeps up I'm afraid that a lot of us are not going to have any choice but to jump ship to Lagdroid or hipsterOS if we want good hardware. I don't WANT to leave WP, I love it, but I'm not locking myself into a contract for anything less than flagship-level specs (and I'm much too poor to pay cash for one, I'd have to take out a loan). I'm sure I'm not the only one. Sure, I'm sure the low-end phones will grow their marketshare but if that's offset by people with flagships, who are likely to be some of your most evangelical users, leaving the fold you probably haven't really accomplished anything.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I'll be sticking with at&t for the time being, their service is just superior to Verizon in my area. It is aggravating to not have a new hero Windows Phone, but there could be phones coming that aren't in the rumor pipeline. I'll stick with my 920 until I can get a respectable replacement for it.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
VZW has always had good WP devices from multiple manufacturers. Only ATT came a bit close albeit it was heavily in Nokia's camp. I think it would be smart for TMO and other GSM MVNOs to streamline things so that people can bring the international unlocked GSM phones seamlessly over to their networks.

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
VZW has always had good WP devices from multiple manufacturers. Only ATT came a bit close albeit it was heavily in Nokia's camp. I think it would be smart for TMO and other GSM MVNOs to streamline things so that people can bring the international unlocked GSM phones seamlessly over to their networks.

I disagree. Until fairly recently, AT&T got all the good WP. Verizon had, what, what, the 822 or whatever and I think a mid-range Samsung? Nothing you could really call a flagship phone. They finally got the 928 a few months after AT&T had the 920. Now the tables seem to have turned.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
No... Just no. Verizon takes a solid device, makes it hideous, boxy and a pain to hold and resells it at a higher price than it's ATT counterpart.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, if this keeps up I'm afraid that a lot of us are not going to have any choice but to jump ship to Lagdroid or hipsterOS if we want good hardware.

Another option would be to try an iPhone or Android. (Maybe your attitude is part of the problem!) 😀

I wonder if the carriers aren't forcing Microsoft into exclusivity. Maybe the Icon worked out well for them, so Microsoft decided to try Verizon again. They're bigger than AT&T, but so far AT&T has been the go-to launch partner.

OK, I have no clue what's going on!

kwright62

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Why is this even an issue. If the carrier has the required bands and the phone will work then LET THEM SELL IT! I don't get it.

Tim Stone

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I have been a Verizon customer forever ... even before they were Verizon. It's only because in the areas I frequent they have far better coverage.

They have never been supportive of the Window's phones. If you go in a store, they will do anything to try and talk you out of one. They only want to sell Android. Win phones are off in a corner, and they bluntly tell people "you don't want one of those". I've reported specifics to corporate but they seriously don't care.

When Win 8 phones came out, they ordered them without text grouping. It was in the phone, and the same model at AT&T had it on, but I've seen the build orders posted, and they clearly had it turned off. It took 18 months to get it back on.

They are incredibly slow on updates, and I'm surprised they are taking on any new Win 8 phones. Again, all they want to sell is Android. It is all about the profits which are greater on those phones. I've sent people in to specifically buy the Nokia 928 and they end up with something else because the sales person badmouthed the phones so much.

Of course, they do the same with Apple. I went into the store to buy my wife a new iPhone and they wouldn't help me. They stood around telling jokes. Corporate did nothing about that one either. I finally bought the phone at the Apple store.

So, to answer your question, no I don't see Verizon doing anything significant with Win Phone. They may get a new one, but then they will do limited sales and still push their Droids.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Icon, the underrated Samsung ATIV SE, if rumors are true this bad, bad HTC....Yeah, I do think the worm has turned, and that should translate into better sales numbers for Verizons WP selections. I do remember Big Red promoting WP with their "So advanced, it's simple" commercials. It seems Microsoft appreciated it.

BUDDYFUNLOVE

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I too have been with Verizon a very long time. And like the post before mine, witnessed far too many times their lack of knowledge, in general, when it comes to hardware or software of devices they sell. Too many times have I educated a sales associate on the device I am looking at.

That said, their coverage is great. That is what keeps me with them. I have an iPhone and Moto x through them, along with my DD, the Icon. When I went in to look at the Icon a sales guy actually said to me "you don't want that, let me show you the galaxy s5.". I retorted properly with "I know what I want and am so over the galaxy line". They simply do not know what they are talking about.

The Cincinnati Kid

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
A friend of mine just got his first smartphone. He told me when he was in the store the salesperson told him "don't get a Windows phone, they suck." I thought he was just bsing me because I have Windows phone, but I guess he wasn't lying. Just one more reason why I will never give Verizon my money.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately the salemen are only there to make money so if samsungs, iPhone, LG have a higher commission pr nonus incentives to sell them (which they often do) that is what the salesmen will push you to.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Even during the WinMo days, Verizon had the better MS devices. The Trophy notwithstanding, they've always had a decent selection. I disagree with the OP and one of his posts. Verizon has had its share of WP8 devices - the 822, the Ativ Odyssey, the HTC 8X, the Ativ SE, the Icon and the 928. Compared to any of the others, that's not too bad and they've never resorted to selling the low-end models like the 62x or 52x.

Don't lump crappy salespeople with Verizon in general. Big Red has the best coverage and the highest prices. They also just started allowing LTE devices on their Allset prepaid. Food for thought.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Lol. Next to zero WP support until 8 came out. 2 exclusives, one super late and they're the Go-To? Nah.

You can't really knock AT&T for the 1520 being their last device, the Icon has the same hardware. Also ATT was on top of the game getting updates for the 1020 with GDR3 and the 1530 with Cyan + 8.1.

Why would we support exclusives anyway?? Terrible practice.

Tim Stone

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
If you do want to purchase a phone from VZW, it is easier, less expensive, and you get a far better response by calling in your order. They are even better about repairs if necessary.

I learned a lot when I talked to the corporate office ( Executive branch ) and I was ultimately able to attain what I needed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon