I... I Just Can't Do It.

Status
Not open for further replies.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
​A few weeks back, as I'm sure many of our patrons know, rumors started that Microsoft might allow Android apps to run in a virtual machine on Windows Phone. Some people were relieved at this news as it would offer some degree of closure on the ever-present app gap. I on the other hand, was distraught to say the least. I saw it as the same mistake Blackberry had made. Sure, they had a plethora of apps, not many of which was optimized for their smartphone. I mean, why build an app for 1 percent of the market (Or in this case 3-4%) when you could build it and have it run on over 70 percent of the market? Seems like a menial task at best. In a fit of annoyance, I left Windows Phone. I traded in my Nokia Lumia 1520 for an HTC One M8, the highest rated smart phone on our sister site and in terms of overall user reviews. I mean, that many smartphone geeks can't be wrong, right? So wrong. So very, very wrong.

I got the M8 and immediately after my initial set up learned that there was no possible way to send/receive MMS if I use the phone on anything that's not ATT without root... Well, that's a disappointment but there's several messaging services and all that jazz. Not a total deal breaker. My next issue came when Iwould try to type up lengthy statements. Hell, sometimes even in short sentences the auto-correct would absolutely butcher it. I tried the stock keyboard, swiftkey and flesky and was met with nothing but absolute displeasure. No phone, when I type the word 'Good' I don't mean gips. Maybe if I correct it a few times and am very careful not to touch I or P it will register it correctly? Nope! Still sucks.

Now, in terms of the app gap, I have to say that there is one. Android is severely lacking in quality apps. Windows Phone blows it away in that regard. Just try to find a decent full photo editing suite that doesn't break on Android like you can on Windows Phone with Fantasia Painter. No luck? Me either. There's a few big names that will allow you to throw a filter on or a bunch of individualistic apps that will let you handle individual features but not one that I found will allow you to do all you can in there. I searched Android Central and even asked. No one had any suggestions. The same could be said for video editors, navigation, word processing apps and several other choices. Not to mention that any time I tried to connect my hotmail app it simply didn't work citing a bad password. There are a few games that I would absolutely love to see on my Windows Phone but outside of those. I'd say we're pretty heavily in the lead in terms of apps worth downloading.

Oh, speaking of photo editing apps, they would've been mostly fruitless considering my Samsung Blackjack in 2006 could go toe to toe with the M8 in terms of camera performance. I'm a long time phone geek when it comes to cameras and how this passed through the first stage of testing is an absolute anomaly. I mean, perhaps I've been spoilt by the Lumia series and their phenomenal cameras but I've used most other high end phones and this thing is absolutely laughable. I have a three year old and last I checked, he didn't look like a cop show where they're trying to blur out someone's face on a day to day basis. It is awful.

Now, I know this sounds like a lot of complaining. I mean, it is. I felt like I was settling in nearly every aspect. The device has little outside of shortcomings but the few things it does well, I'd like to see improved on my end of the pool. The first point I liked was the display. I know it's not the best but the colors were vibrant and accurate and the auto-brightness setting absolutely destroyed my 1520s. I think the auto brightness being resolved might pretty well knock all that out though. Outside of that, while my 1520 is louder (Shockingly) the M8 does have better sound reproduction. It's very clear to a staggering extent.

There's also a ton of little gripes I had like no music control when hitting the volume button, no sort of glance screen without a special and incredibly cheap feeling case and awful button placement.

In terms of the UI itself, it still looks pretty ugly in comparison and even with their whole special glance feed or whatever it is, it's just left more cluttered as, if you have more than 15 people on Facebook you're going to be constantly informed of crap you don't care about.

Ultimately, as of Friday, this M8 is gone for good and to that I say good riddance. I truly can't wait to be back in the loving arms of a Nokia Lumia 1520 with wireless charging, a 128 gig SD card and most importantly, Windows Phone 8.1.

I won't be making that mistake again. I don't have to settle for less.

Last edited:

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
The trade was about $120 in my favor, Microsoft had offered no denial of the rumors and Windows Phones depreciate in value rapidly.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Ultimately, the trade works in my favor quite a bit. I traded a 1520 with a screen that had developed an issue where it turned light green in two small areas for this M8 and now I'm trading this M8 for a like new 1520 with wireless charging sleeve, wireless charger and a 128 gig memory card.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Well, this is nice to read sort of. I was VERY close to go with an Xperia Z2 instead of a 930. The only thing that made me go with the 930 was that I had already ordered it online before I came up with the Z2 plan. I had already planned to just return the packaging without even opening it and get the Z2. Well, when the package was just waiting there on the table, I thought maybe I'll just keep the 930, after all it's likely one of the last Nokia-branded phones designed in my city, not to mention that just about everything about it was perfect for me.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Well, this is nice to read sort of. I was VERY close to go with an Xperia Z2 instead of a 930. The only thing that made me go with the 930 was that I had already ordered it online before I came up with the Z2 plan. I had already planned to just return the packaging without even opening it and get the Z2. Well, when the package was just waiting there on the table, I thought maybe I'll just keep the 930, after all it's likely one of the last Nokia-branded phones designed in my city, not to mention that just about everything about it was perfect for me.

The phone is a thing of beauty. I won't get one strictly because the Glance screen has become a big deal to me but I love the phone as a whole.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I understand where the OP is coming from. I was helping someone with her Android phone (I think it was the Razr M) and it just wasn't pleasant to use. Shifting through rows of icons felt maddening. The settings menu looked disorganized. And who wants to dig into a menu to "force stop" an app? WP seems to handle that way better.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I understand where the OP is coming from. I was helping someone with her Android phone (I think it was the Razr M) and it just wasn't pleasant to use. Shifting through rows of icons felt maddening. The settings menu looked disorganized. And who wants to dig into a menu to "force stop" an app? WP seems to handle that way better.

You prefer WP and you say Android's Settings menu is disorganized? :amaze:

And why "force stop" an app? Is it WP's necessary micromanaging habit coming through? That's not necessary on Android.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site

And why "force stop" an app? Is it WP's necessary micromanaging habit coming through? That's not necessary on Android.

How else would you stop an app that's misbehaving or refusing to quit? Happens on all platforms. That was happening on Android long before WP came into the picture.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
How else would you stop an app that's misbehaving or refusing to quit? Happens on all platforms. That was happening on Android long before WP came into the picture.

It did happen on Android, but seldom on recent iterations. And ironically, that type of thing didn't used to happen much on WP, but lately it's been happening a lot more. The 2 OS's are switching places as far as bugs.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I've come to realize this site's comprised of 50% sadists and 50% masochists. The sadists love baiting the masochists into the constant stream of Android vs. WP flame wars and right on cue, the masochists swallow the hook. How about we just enjoy whatever device we own and save our energy toward the Monsantos of the world. Cancer, Autism and HIV are some worthy causes that could also use a kick in the rump.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

WP is annoying because it's not in alphabetical order. Android felt more like a chore.

The app froze up and wouldn't let us do anything until I used force stop.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
What app has trouble closing on Windows Phone? I've not had that issue. In the same ilk though, I've had that issue with this awful M8 with the snapchat client, Fantasica and Astro File Manager as well as HTC's own Zoe.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

Now, in terms of the app gap, I have to say that there is one. Android is severely lacking in quality apps. Windows Phone blows it away in that regard. Just try to find a decent full photo editing suite that doesn't break on Android like you can on Windows Phone with Fantasia Painter. No luck? Me either. There's a few big names that will allow you to throw a filter on or a bunch of individualistic apps that will let you handle individual features but not one that I found will allow you to do all you can in there. I searched Android Central and even asked. No one had any suggestions. The same could be said for video editors, navigation, word processing apps and several other choices. Not to mention that any time I tried to connect my hotmail app it simply didn't work citing a bad password. There are a few games that I would absolutely love to see on my Windows Phone but outside of those. I'd say we're pretty heavily in the lead in terms of apps worth downloading.

Unfortunately, none of this is true. The Google Play store is heaps better than the Windows Phone store. Apps that are on both platforms are usually better on Android, and have more features. There has been so many times that I've tried to find an app or a game that I play on my Android devices to put on my 920, but all I find is a "guide", or some other knock-off crap. Even Microsoft apps are better on Android. I could write a huge list of awesome games and apps that aren't on Windows Phone if you want, but I really don't think it's necessary. The Windows Phone store is getting better every day, and I think things are moving pretty fast for the platform right now. Still, there's a long way to go as far as apps are concerned.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Google Play has 1 million apps and growing by leaps and bounds every day. Devs put Android as #2 in priority after iOS which automatically means WP is #3 in priority if they're even working on a WP app...

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Google Play has 1 million apps and growing by leaps and bounds every day. Devs put Android as #2 in priority after iOS which automatically means WP is #3 in priority if they're even working on a WP app...
Yeah, I'm aware but Android's dev tools are also awful and while they may get most of the great games, the apps outside of games are often times pretty underwhelming.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
​Now, in terms of the app gap, I have to say that there is one. Android is severely lacking in quality apps. Windows Phone blows it away in that regard.

This right here says something about your attitude. No matter what Android does, you will not like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99