08-08-2016 03:40 AM
267 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Yep I'm an iPhone to WP switcher too, can't understand anyone wanting to switch to an iPhone unless its purely one or two specific apps. My partner has just got an iPhone 6 and its still the same old poor quality OS that looks like a fisher price toy with static icons, boring as hell!
    Timtcee likes this.
    10-11-2014 05:04 AM
    Yep I'm an iPhone to WP switcher too, can't understand anyone wanting to switch to an iPhone unless its purely one or two specific apps. My partner has just got an iPhone 6 and its still the same old poor quality OS that looks like a fisher price toy with static icons, boring as hell!
    @markyjns I agree that IF I left WP I would miss the live tiles and the fact that my phone feels "alive". Like I said in my original post it's the lack of apps and the apps we do have are not as good as the iOS apps. I have two years left on my Icon contract so hopefully between now and then WP market share will grow and company's apps for WP will get better....
    10-11-2014 07:44 AM
    1. The app gap, maybe it's just me. I need apps like Dropbox, Duolingo, Youtube(I know there are unofficial apps around). Jesus Christ, developing for Windows is so much more easier than iOS and Android. Hope things will improve after Windows 10.
    2. Consolidate the Setting page into something more concise and easily navigatable.
    3. Faster roll out of firmware(especially those poor USA customer that are often bullied by their carrier). The OS update front is doing very well especially with the Developer Preview.
    4. Better camera app. The upcoming Lumia Camera that comes with Denim update looks exciting.
    5. The 'Back' button should suspend instead of exiting apps, so that we can fast resume.
    6. Include Phase Detect in the future camera flagship. I'm looking at you Lumia 1030.
    7. Make the Xbox Music app smoother and faster. Give us more 'Song Estate', I need to see more songs on that tiny list.
    8. Tell us what the 'Allow App to Run in background does' in the battery saver app. I still don't know whether I should allow the apps or not.
    9. Include explanation for everything such as, if I allow location to be turned on at all times, how will it function? Will it drain away my battery life and ping every few seconds?
    10. MicroSD slot
    11. Preferably swappable battery, 1 or 2mm thick doesn't matter to us anyway.
    12. If the back cover is exchangable, then install no Qi-charging by default. I can fork out extra money if I want it.(This can reduce MSRP)
    13. Rollout Cortana to every region in the world, especially countries with people that knows English(Like Malaysia and Singapore, we are Trilingual and are able to do 3 different English accents). However I know that for now Bing isn't really tailored to other regions, but I believe Satya will push Bing to the world eventually.
    14. Use high quality AMOLED displays, the whites on current Lumia AMOLED isn't really white enough.
    15. Give us an option to reduce the animations(flipping when opening apps and such).
    16. Use high speed NAND flash memories so we won't see the opening... loading... words so often.
    17. Teach developers to optimise apps to efficiently use the chipset.
    18. High quality apps(Let's take Facebook and Whatsapp for a comparison, they lose out to their iOS counterparts)(Another example would be the LINE app, it takes ages to load and cannot support certain type of messages.)
    19. Let us toggle data connection in the quick toggles. Sometimes when working seriously, I would like to switch off my data to ignore all notifications. Indeed, I can access the settings to toggle it, but having this feature would make one's life easier. It's the small things that gives a smile on our faces.
    20. Stop region locking Xbox Video for customers outside of the US. Just give us whatever that we can have instead of locking us out. It's like WP user outside of the US don't deserve anything.

All in all, I was an ex L1020 user. I switched to an old iPhone 5. I'll holdout until next year. I just hope there will be a flagship that's worth it and Windows 10 will not disappoint. I yearn to return to MS. Please don't disappoint me.
    Last edited by Kit Fai Ho; 10-11-2014 at 09:30 AM.
    raycpl and haikallp like this.
    10-11-2014 09:15 AM
    For me, they just need to stop staring over with there the phones.
    10-12-2014 09:21 AM
    Microsoft needs to improve the lock screen of WP. At least add some additional info to it. As of now it's nothing but just a clock with a picture. Lots of wasted space. Really useless.
    10-17-2014 05:21 AM
    Mine shows next appointment, missed calls and all manner of other notifications.
    10-17-2014 05:24 AM
    Microsoft needs to improve the lock screen of WP. At least add some additional info to it. As of now it's nothing but just a clock with a picture. Lots of wasted space. Really useless.

I agree. Because for some reason we need apps to do that. It should already be done like Android..
    10-17-2014 10:01 AM
    I agree. Because for some reason we need apps to do that. It should already be done like Android..
    The reason it is an app because MSFT can easier push out updates to just the app alone and not the whole OS.
    10-17-2014 05:36 PM
    A feature/option that I'd like to see implemented is the ability to enable downloading large-size maps over your cellular network. I understand why they don't allow it, and perhaps I'm in the minority, but due to my living situation and geographical location, I have no easy access to wifi and have a 50GB (now 100GB after that promotion) AT&T Mobile Share Value plan so I can access internet via my phone on my pc. In other words, my cellular connection IS my wifi network, and I have plenty of data available for the download, but the phone simply won't allow it. It would be nice if they add a setting where you can overrule this setting, even if they have to put a bunch of "are you sure" pop ups with it.
    10-17-2014 10:35 PM
    I want the ability to open app notifications from the lock screen (just like Samsung's for example). Smart dialing, redesign the start screen to make it look like the one on PCs.
    10-18-2014 03:55 AM
    App design.. iPhoto vs photo the built in app design.
    10-18-2014 04:15 AM
    WP is succeeding. I think sales will improve, but in my opinion, it will never overtake android and iOS. It will get closer by the year though.
    10-18-2014 01:30 PM
    They obviously have to work on the app situation. More aggressive marketing. Here in the u.s. they have to release at least two high end/spec phones on at least 3 of the big carriers. For me its not about WP catching up to apple or android. As long as they can increase the market share to maybe 10-15% that would be good. Bottom line,we wait and see what Microsoft has up their sleeves.
    10-18-2014 01:38 PM
    They obviously have to work on the app situation. More aggressive marketing. Here in the u.s. they have to release at least two high end/spec phones on at least 3 of the big carriers. For me its not about WP catching up to apple or android. As long as they can increase the market share to maybe 10-15% that would be good. Bottom line,we wait and see what Microsoft has up their sleeves.
    I think wp has mostly all the major app except for snapchat, but needs to work on getting the smaller but still major ones too, like watchespn. Plus, we might have the official apps, but it sadly lags behind the iOS and Android versions, for example instagram beta...
    10-19-2014 12:16 PM
    Advertisement System for app to encourage developers.After that market could grow.
    10-19-2014 04:24 PM
    Hire the best marketing team in the wooorld!! Pay them billions!! It's as simple as that.
    LTTG, chezm and PepperdotNet like this.
    10-19-2014 08:08 PM
    Hire the best marketing team in the wooorld!! Pay them billions!! It's as simple as that.
    exactly. Microsoft's marketing team sucks. A good marketing team can make a terrible product look amazing. (and no, I'm not saying that WP is terrible :p )
    10-20-2014 06:29 AM
    After downloading the windows phone central app, I really wish there were more apps like this.

Tapatalk is so slow and clunky in comparison. I'm starting to realize that if apps are designed well, it's such a great platform.

We seem to be attracting all the untalented developers.
    10-26-2014 10:33 AM
    Apps...
    10-26-2014 12:36 PM
    I am in serious need of a reverse tether option for my Lumia 630. Heard wp had this feature on wp7 with Zune support but they dropped the support or something.
    So..actually am new to Windows Phone and i am loving it till now.

Would post some more suggestions in future. And will be an active memebr of this forum :)
    Happy Window Peeking :) :)
    10-29-2014 01:22 PM
    They need a marketing team that actually knows how to market. I haven't seen a single Windows Phone ad in the US in along time and if there is one it's Cortana vs Siri and that's it. Microsoft needs to stop making anti Apple ads and actually make one that shows what Windows Phone can do.
    zokstar, haikallp and PepperdotNet like this.
    10-29-2014 06:14 PM
    - More advertising
    - A MUCH better music sync'ing app than whats currently available to us (i wouldn't be surprised if this has turned people off)
    - Apps
    - Look after your own first!! It personally ****s me that MS these days release/update an app for other platforms and leave us hanging.
    10-29-2014 09:13 PM
    Posting this again..

1) Marketing
    Dammit, I have never remembered seeing any windows phone commercial here in Singapore. Replace the whole marketing team. A product is only as good as the marketing. I'm talking TV commercials, billboards, sponsorship.

2) Apps
    Now this is an arduous task but the all gap is still there, especially on the games front. I've seen many popular apps on windows phone this couple of years but they are seldom updated as compared to their iOS/Android counterparts. Maybe Microsoft could reward the devs if their apps get 500 000 downloads or something. Or if they have a perfect 5 star rating.

3) Customization
    When Windows Phone was first conceived, Microsoft took the Apple approach but it obviously did not work out for them and we can see Microsoft slowly trying to become more like Android. That's a good thing. Android is popular for a reason, one of which, is it's customization. I'm not saying they should open-source windows phone but make it more customizable. Allow users to set default app for the web browser, keyboard, calendar, camera etc.

4) Hardware availability
    Windows Phone now has more than 15 hardware partners. From HTC to Micromax. Nokia to BLU. But here's the thing. Alot of this devices are not available internationally. In the US, the Lumia Icon was only available on Verizon. The Lumia 930 wasn't released there. The HTC One M8, I believe was also a timed exclusive on T-Mobile (or was it AT&T?) In Singapore, the o ly windows phone devices we have is from Nokia. How could you expect your devices to sell and your OS to gain recognition if the hardware availability is limited. Microsoft needs to bring more devices to the market.

These 4 points, in my humble opinion, is crucial for Microsoft to take into consideration if they want to succeed and gain at least 15% market share worldwide.
    Last edited by haikallp; 10-31-2014 at 01:02 PM.
    10-31-2014 12:38 PM
    Not my idea originally but I'll echo it out there...

MS needs to hire a sales force. Don't care how much it costs, they are sitting on a huge pile of cash. Train that sales force to be experts on Windows in general, and Windows Phone in particular. Permanently station one member of that sales force in each and every phone store, big-box store, retail outlet, anywhere iPhones and Androids are currently being sold. That person's entire job is to sell Windows Phone devices and evangelize the product. And match any bonus or incentive being paid to salespeople by the competitors.
    windows94, haikallp and chezm like this.
    10-31-2014 03:09 PM
    Better god damn keyboard that works not only for English but other languages too.
    11-03-2014 07:23 AM
267 ... 45678 ...