What WP needs to succeed

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
airplane mode is separate from data connectivity because airplane mode turns off all connections rather than just data. Umar is talking about just data/cellular service.

Isn't cellular data the only thing you'd ever really need to turn off though? I think having the ability to kill cellular through the action center is fine.

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
More new high-end phones
A way to expand notifications in Action Center
Stronger app support

If I come with more, I'll just post it.

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Think they need to make Cortana voice activated in sleep mode. Would also love to be able to choose my default camera app. Also, add some features to Onedrive like Googles Auto-Awesome I can do in manually but google did it for you. I think as far as apps go they will continue to grow so I am not to worried about that.

TheFancyPanc

May 4, 2014
Visit site
You're purposely being obtuse. Turning off cellular through the action center will kill both voice calling and data, and that's the point.

No it doesn't. The absolute only ways to disengage calls or SMS messages is to engage airplane mode, remove the sim, or turn your phone off. That's why whenever you switch off cellular services it gets rid of the 3g/4g/lte icon but the bars are still there.
There are many reasons to turn off your radios (cellular, WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth). The first of which is to preserve battery because next to the screen they are the biggest drain. Another reason to turn of your cellular data connection is to prevent overages for those that are on a limited data plan but at the same time leaving voice and SMS services untouched.

Last edited:

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
You're purposely being obtuse. Turning off cellular through the action center will kill both voice calling and data, and that's the point.
Not obtuse. Was responding to a suggestion to turn cellular data off. Rather than cellular. I read it correctly.
It's a feature a lot of people would seem to like - the ability to have a phone but toggle when the smarts are available.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
6) Ability to change Phone's name from Windows Phone to something else (at least give the option when first set up)
You can already do this. It has been part of WP since WP7.

Hook up phone via USB to your computer. Right click on Windows Phone in Explorer. From drop down menu choose 'Rename'...
Done!!!

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
No it doesn't. The absolute only ways to disengage calls or SMS messages is to engage airplane mode, remove the sim, or turn your phone off. That's why whenever you switch off cellular services it gets rid of the 3g/4g/lte icon but the bars are still there.
There are many reasons to turn off your radios (cellular, WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth). The first of which is to preserve battery because next to the screen they are the biggest drain. Another reason to turn of your cellular data connection is to prevent overages for those that are on a limited data plan but at the same time leaving voice and SMS services untouched.
Data sense will take care of the data overage concern. As far as an off switch the problem is the vast majority of WP sold are on the GSM standard. Unlike the standard companies such as Verizon use the call and data go through the same antenna on the same frequency which is why they can simultaneously call and do data with no workaround needed. Because of this you can not turn off one without the other. Verizon on the other hand has had to use two antennas and frequencies, one for calls, and one for data. So one could be shut off as you want but they account for a very small percentage of the market and are slowly moving to the international standard. So to put it simply it can't be done. Turn one off you turn off the other. It must be done on the software side, hence data sense in wp8.1

Umar Hafeez

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
I am saying about cellular data connection. In airplane mode all the services are turn off . And you will able to receive calls message etc. Whenever you need to turn on data connection you go to the settings to turn on and off the internet connection. It will be easy to switch on and off internet connection from notification center.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I am saying about cellular data connection. In airplane mode all the services are turn off . And you will able to receive calls message etc. Whenever you need to turn on data connection you go to the settings to turn on and off the internet connection. It will be easy to switch on and off internet connection from notification center.
In that case you can. Use airplane mode which can be assigned to the action center. You just answered your own question. It wont do much to conserve battery but if all you want is to turn off data quick and with minimal effort it will work.

Umar Hafeez

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
In that case you can. Use airplane mode which can be assigned to the action center. You just answered your own question. It wont do much to conserve battery but if all you want is to turn off data quick and with minimal effort it will work.

i am answering to ' nicfromwales ' .

TheFancyPanc

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Data sense will take care of the data overage concern. As far as an off switch the problem is the vast majority of WP sold are on the GSM standard. Unlike the standard companies such as Verizon use the call and data go through the same antenna on the same frequency which is why they can simultaneously call and do data with no workaround needed. Because of this you can not turn off one without the other. Verizon on the other hand has had to use two antennas and frequencies, one for calls, and one for data. So one could be shut off as you want but they account for a very small percentage of the market and are slowly moving to the international standard. So to put it simply it can't be done. Turn one off you turn off the other. It must be done on the software side, hence data sense in wp8.1

I'll use myself as an example: Factory unlocked HTC 8x with T-Mobile as my carrier. Tmobile isn't any less GSM than any other yet I turn off my cellular data all the time and there I can see the bars at the top and I have never missed a call or text because of it. My wife who has Verizon, android device, does the same thing with the same results. .
I work for ATT (another gsm carrier) customer service and people call in all the time cause they don't know how to control themselves in regards to data. The first thing I do is show them how to turn off their cellular antenna to control background data and I do that while they're using the same phone to talk to me, never lost a call from doing so. The only setting that turns off talk/sms is airplane mode.

Last edited:

EndOfRope

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Hello,
the one thing i?m missing most is a free choice to back up my contact data. With my old Nokia 5230 i could store it simply on pc. On my L1520 i can?t do that, not even on my sim or sd card.
I will never store any data on onedrive, as long as it is not completly encrypted.

Ankit Rathi

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
A call recording application is what is needed... And stable application... Developers need to work on there application to reduce opening time, resuming time, crashes during resuming application...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss