What WP needs to succeed

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: I'm ready to switch from WP to iPhone and I'm not happy about it

You drag and drop using Windows Explorer or some sort of special software? And afterwards your music shows up under the artist's name and album name? Because it doesn't for me, as well as many others - despite being tagged correctly it all shows up under unknown artist - unknown album - filename.mp3.

Also, I never needed to put music back on my computer from my phone. If the computer crashes that's what backups are for ;)

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site

I understand your Situation. Every one have their own way of thinking. People are getting ready to switch to Windows phone as they tired of holding Android or iOS, on the other hand, another people are getting ready to switch out form Windows Phone. For me, Windows phone have all I need, all I supposed to do. Might be i'll get some cheap Android phone for my second phone.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site

I just do drag and drop to my sdcard-haven't had the duplicate issue you talk about since the Black update. You need to realize you need iTunes to put music on an iPhone. If your computer crashes you are out of luck since you can't put music that is on your phone back on your PC. Your option is to buy a third party utility to do it.

Not exactly true.

Any music that you have purchased from iTunes will be available for you to redownload on any Apple device or computer that you sign in with. If you use iTunes match ($25 a year), all of your music collection (once the initial matching and uploading is done) is available on all your computers or Apple devices.

ViciousJay

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
I would like to see a built in flash light and have it on the lock notification screen. Also can we add the camera to it as well. That would be 2 awesome updates.

bells0

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

I've moved from the last 5 years of iPhones to a 930 WP. I buy my phones outright so i can have a cheap sim only plan and can change anytime i want.

The lack of a 32g iPhone 6 at a reasonable price pushed me to look elsewhere. And tbh, IOS became boring.

My 930 was virtually half the price of changing my 5 to a 6, and is so much more interesting to use. The only downside so far is that apps arent as polished as IOS, but i'm sure that will get better. The camera, live tiles and screen means i can't leave my 930 alone!! Windows 10 looks pretty exciting too.

Will always keep my iPad though......................

markyjns

May 24, 2013
Visit site

Yep I'm an iPhone to WP switcher too, can't understand anyone wanting to switch to an iPhone unless its purely one or two specific apps. My partner has just got an iPhone 6 and its still the same old poor quality OS that looks like a fisher price toy with static icons, boring as hell!

Timtcee

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site

Yep I'm an iPhone to WP switcher too, can't understand anyone wanting to switch to an iPhone unless its purely one or two specific apps. My partner has just got an iPhone 6 and its still the same old poor quality OS that looks like a fisher price toy with static icons, boring as hell!

@markyjns I agree that IF I left WP I would miss the live tiles and the fact that my phone feels "alive". Like I said in my original post it's the lack of apps and the apps we do have are not as good as the iOS apps. I have two years left on my Icon contract so hopefully between now and then WP market share will grow and company's apps for WP will get better....

Kit Fai Ho

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
1. The app gap, maybe it's just me. I need apps like Dropbox, Duolingo, Youtube(I know there are unofficial apps around). Jesus Christ, developing for Windows is so much more easier than iOS and Android. Hope things will improve after Windows 10.
2. Consolidate the Setting page into something more concise and easily navigatable.
3. Faster roll out of firmware(especially those poor USA customer that are often bullied by their carrier). The OS update front is doing very well especially with the Developer Preview.
4. Better camera app. The upcoming Lumia Camera that comes with Denim update looks exciting.
5. The 'Back' button should suspend instead of exiting apps, so that we can fast resume.
6. Include Phase Detect in the future camera flagship. I'm looking at you Lumia 1030.
7. Make the Xbox Music app smoother and faster. Give us more 'Song Estate', I need to see more songs on that tiny list.
8. Tell us what the 'Allow App to Run in background does' in the battery saver app. I still don't know whether I should allow the apps or not.
9. Include explanation for everything such as, if I allow location to be turned on at all times, how will it function? Will it drain away my battery life and ping every few seconds?
10. MicroSD slot
11. Preferably swappable battery, 1 or 2mm thick doesn't matter to us anyway.
12. If the back cover is exchangable, then install no Qi-charging by default. I can fork out extra money if I want it.(This can reduce MSRP)
13. Rollout Cortana to every region in the world, especially countries with people that knows English(Like Malaysia and Singapore, we are Trilingual and are able to do 3 different English accents). However I know that for now Bing isn't really tailored to other regions, but I believe Satya will push Bing to the world eventually.
14. Use high quality AMOLED displays, the whites on current Lumia AMOLED isn't really white enough.
15. Give us an option to reduce the animations(flipping when opening apps and such).
16. Use high speed NAND flash memories so we won't see the opening... loading... words so often.
17. Teach developers to optimise apps to efficiently use the chipset.
18. High quality apps(Let's take Facebook and Whatsapp for a comparison, they lose out to their iOS counterparts)(Another example would be the LINE app, it takes ages to load and cannot support certain type of messages.)
19. Let us toggle data connection in the quick toggles. Sometimes when working seriously, I would like to switch off my data to ignore all notifications. Indeed, I can access the settings to toggle it, but having this feature would make one's life easier. It's the small things that gives a smile on our faces.
20. Stop region locking Xbox Video for customers outside of the US. Just give us whatever that we can have instead of locking us out. It's like WP user outside of the US don't deserve anything.

All in all, I was an ex L1020 user. I switched to an old iPhone 5. I'll holdout until next year. I just hope there will be a flagship that's worth it and Windows 10 will not disappoint. I yearn to return to MS. Please don't disappoint me.

Last edited:

LumiaWorld

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft needs to improve the lock screen of WP. At least add some additional info to it. As of now it's nothing but just a clock with a picture. Lots of wasted space. Really useless.

MichaelBanning

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
A feature/option that I'd like to see implemented is the ability to enable downloading large-size maps over your cellular network. I understand why they don't allow it, and perhaps I'm in the minority, but due to my living situation and geographical location, I have no easy access to wifi and have a 50GB (now 100GB after that promotion) AT&T Mobile Share Value plan so I can access internet via my phone on my pc. In other words, my cellular connection IS my wifi network, and I have plenty of data available for the download, but the phone simply won't allow it. It would be nice if they add a setting where you can overrule this setting, even if they have to put a bunch of "are you sure" pop ups with it.

LTTG

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I want the ability to open app notifications from the lock screen (just like Samsung's for example). Smart dialing, redesign the start screen to make it look like the one on PCs.

mpl175

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
They obviously have to work on the app situation. More aggressive marketing. Here in the u.s. they have to release at least two high end/spec phones on at least 3 of the big carriers. For me its not about WP catching up to apple or android. As long as they can increase the market share to maybe 10-15% that would be good. Bottom line,we wait and see what Microsoft has up their sleeves.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
They obviously have to work on the app situation. More aggressive marketing. Here in the u.s. they have to release at least two high end/spec phones on at least 3 of the big carriers. For me its not about WP catching up to apple or android. As long as they can increase the market share to maybe 10-15% that would be good. Bottom line,we wait and see what Microsoft has up their sleeves.

I think wp has mostly all the major app except for snapchat, but needs to work on getting the smaller but still major ones too, like watchespn. Plus, we might have the official apps, but it sadly lags behind the iOS and Android versions, for example instagram beta...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea