What WP needs to succeed

vishwas basotra

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
Oh man we need games like "Clash of Clans"....i am lying to play clash of clan in my phone... So Microsoft and developers plz do something if you want to beat android and ios....

Asher Curri

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Sorry if I'm repeating anything...
1. Actionable notifications. I love this feature in other OS's and I want it on Windows.
2. Better keyboard. Idk if its just me but the Windows phone keyboard is not as accurate as the iOS or Android keyboards.
3. A better app selection would be nice. I know I'm not the only one who wants to see Pokemon Go on Windows Phone. 😊

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
What WP needs to succeed?

1) More OneDrive storage. Free 15GB. That's a drop in the buck nowadays. One 1080P movie in HD can eat all that up. Everyone is giving out free online storage. Even M$ does, but not enough to differentiate from the rest. Owners of Office365 gets 1TB (from their webpages) provided they continue the subscription. M$ should offer at least free 200GB per Windows 10 device we own as permanent OneDrive storage.

2) Better transition from device to device to continue work and productivity without hiccups. Goes hand in hand with 1st point. If client's have data in OneDrive, they can easily transition from one device to another device more easily. If other device will encounter internet outage, encourage to download the files directly to the devices and make it EASIER to keep copies of files on multiple devices. Hopefully Continuum will alleviate this with just having ONE device.

3) Full Windows OS on mobiles. Speaks for itself. Yes I know this opens door for malware, but there are ways to prevent unauthorized access. But any security has ways to circumvent it. Humans are pretty adaptable and cunning.

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
What MS can do:

1) Price point. This is irrelevant in US, but the rest of the world where phones are sold unlocked it's a big deal.

WP's are cheaper than iPhones spec-wise, but it has less feature, less apps, which is fine, you pay less you get less.

But WP's is twice as expensive compared to Android phone spec-wise thanks to Chinese market, and they're flooding the market. Which is not fine if you pay twice as expensive but get less power, less features and less apps. And no, those Android phone doesn't lag since they have twice processing power than WP's in the same price.

2) Windows Platform limitations. MS need to improve UWP capabilities and remove the limitations while still keeping it secure. Android is a bad example, too customizable, not secure, and apps easily impact phones performance. iOS hits the sweet spot. If an app can do a functionality in iOS, it should able to do that in WP, no more 'limitation'. And better monetization also.

3) Marketing. They simply sucks at it.

What MS probably can't do:
Make Clash of Clans or Snapchat or whatever instantly appear in Store, the best they can do is negotiating and work together with the big names developers, if possible, (or just buy them 😋), or provide alternatives.

atlantisbRe

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
Sorry if I'm repeating anything...

2. Better keyboard. Idk if its just me but the Windows phone keyboard is not as accurate as the iOS or Android keyboards.
3. A better app selection would be nice.

I agree with you and think that existing apps needs some improvement like viber , messenger , tapatalk etc. Most smartphone users , use just few most popular apps but these not work on win like to other platforms.

Kartik 10

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
I think apart from the apps what we need is a brand formation like Apple. Lumia should be instantly recognised. Live tiles should never be thrown in favour of more android-eshqiue experience.

lvalen91

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
The original Metro UI was beautiful. How "Pivot" apps flowed throughout the display in a panoramic style was great. Then apps started coming out with the same UI as Android and iOS took away from the unique experience.

I think that needs to come back. A nice modern simplistic approach and not making everything look like the other platforms. Yes apps are needed, but everything looking exactly the same would keep people away.

Wurstsalat

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
modern ui is thrown away...should come back
many new modells in any pricerange
support from all Microsoft divisions (first the own Plattform, then others)
more modells sold by providers

Bai

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I said it since day one when I got my 800, take adv of the 90% desktop laptop market and let the PC take control of WP when connect. Still stand by it today.

Merge office lens into people, what good it do if I can't link a business to a contact?

big dooze

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Carrier support! What do you expect when only 1 carrier is selling the newest devices, and the unlocked phones aren't a guarantee to work on anyone besides AT&T.

amboRella

May 31, 2014
Visit site
The ability to set a custom reminder in calendar would be great. Often I find my self wanting a different time frame for the reminder than the presets.

anjanmukherjee01

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
How to get the sale of Microsoft Phone to the next level?

As we are aware that the sale of the phone division is in decline exponentially. Hence, what should be the marketing ideas that Microsoft should follow to boost the sale of their phones to the next level.?
Eg. what i think is more better hardware in lower price. As other OS better hardware phones are avail at the lower price.
What you think to all the user of Windows Central.?

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: How to get the sale of Microsoft Phone to the next level?

IMHO, MSFT have probably done the best thing to give Win10Mobile, the best chance. By withdrawing and reevaluating their position, has given time to breathe. The past few years have been tempestuous for MSFT. Why they decided to go 'mental' and try to compete in the market place with the big guns, is anyone's guess. The acquisition of Nokia was a very expensive marriage doomed to divorce, as it proved to be, apart from a couple of notable children in the 930 and 1520.

If you went instore to choose a new mobile device, you would give up looking at Windows devices, and head straight for the Samsung / Apple display. There were so many devices, all vying for the same segment, including some models, for example, the 635. 512mb or 1gig, 4G or 3G...and so on.
It's no surprise things went south rapidly. Then you add in carriers falling out with MSFT and you have a recipe for disaster.

They have now stripped the range down to four devices, and this has left room for a couple of OEMs to test the water. Would HP spend a shed load of R&D for an enterprise device if they didn't see some potential returns?
The biggest bug bear for the loyal Window-ists is the non support of models to get Win10M. Tech moves so fast these days and to carry on supporting older devices, isn't economically viable, especially when the insider program users say the experience isn't good.* You also have those that won't be supported past TH2, again they may struggle on Redstone builds. No one likes it, I've got an old 1320 that runs 10586.xxx no worries but I can only go so far with it. Shame, as it's a great device. Things had to change, and as a business owner myself, I would have done the same. Hell, most Android OEM's drop support for devices if it rains twice in a year! That half the reason XDA is such a popular stopping point for ditched Android users. Alas, we don't really have that luxury these days.

So, by taking a step back, and a lot of head scratching, things may be different. Unfortunately, Windows Phone is a poisoned chalice, and by converging everything under the Windows 10 banner, they may have a chance. Not so much in the consumer market, but the enterprise market.

Who knows, with the Vietnam manufacturing plant being included, in the Foxconn sale, Mobile and Surface coming together etc, maybe these toe dipping OEMs could be responsible for the consumer orientated devices, and Surface responsible for the Flagship devices. After all, Surface has been a huge hit and introduced the world to 'proper' mobile working, and a whole new genre!

WellingtonW

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
I think this thread is about two years too late.

1) Windows 10 is too buggy for consumers. They will not do the resets we have to do to get phones working.
2) MS abandoned the low end market. This was their biggest market share. It disappeared overnight when they did this.
3) The Windopws APP store on mopbile is a horrible mess
4) Because of 1,2 and 3 you won't attract developers to Windows Phone anymore.

What could they do.

Reinvent Windows phone as a secure mobile that gets updates for business and people worried about security.

But this won't happen because they need market share to achieve this, and they've destroyed that.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I think this thread is about two years too late.

1) Windows 10 is too buggy for consumers. They will not do the resets we have to do to get phones working.
2) MS abandoned the low end market. This was their biggest market share. It disappeared overnight when they did this.
3) The Windopws APP store on mopbile is a horrible mess
4) Because of 1,2 and 3 you won't attract developers to Windows Phone anymore.

What could they do.

Reinvent Windows phone as a secure mobile that gets updates for business and people worried about security.

But this won't happen because they need market share to achieve this, and they've destroyed that.

Market can be created where none existed before. From several articles, it looks like the goal is not to produce phones but something new that can both function as a phone and something else

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Re: How to get the sale of Microsoft Phone to the next level?

IMHO, MSFT have probably done the best thing to give Win10Mobile, the best chance. By withdrawing and reevaluating their position, has given time to breathe. The past few years have been tempestuous for MSFT. Why they decided to go 'mental' and try to compete in the market place with the big guns, is anyone's guess. The acquisition of Nokia was a very expensive marriage doomed to divorce, as it proved to be, apart from a couple of notable children in the 930 and 1520.

If you went instore to choose a new mobile device, you would give up looking at Windows devices, and head straight for the Samsung / Apple display. There were so many devices, all vying for the same segment, including some models, for example, the 635. 512mb or 1gig, 4G or 3G...and so on.
It's no surprise things went south rapidly. Then you add in carriers falling out with MSFT and you have a recipe for disaster.

They have now stripped the range down to four devices, and this has left room for a couple of OEMs to test the water. Would HP spend a shed load of R&D for an enterprise device if they didn't see some potential returns?
The biggest bug bear for the loyal Window-ists is the non support of models to get Win10M. Tech moves so fast these days and to carry on supporting older devices, isn't economically viable, especially when the insider program users say the experience isn't good.* You also have those that won't be supported past TH2, again they may struggle on Redstone builds. No one likes it, I've got an old 1320 that runs 10586.xxx no worries but I can only go so far with it. Shame, as it's a great device. Things had to change, and as a business owner myself, I would have done the same. Hell, most Android OEM's drop support for devices if it rains twice in a year! That half the reason XDA is such a popular stopping point for ditched Android users. Alas, we don't really have that luxury these days.

So, by taking a step back, and a lot of head scratching, things may be different. Unfortunately, Windows Phone is a poisoned chalice, and by converging everything under the Windows 10 banner, they may have a chance. Not so much in the consumer market, but the enterprise market.

Who knows, with the Vietnam manufacturing plant being included, in the Foxconn sale, Mobile and Surface coming together etc, maybe these toe dipping OEMs could be responsible for the consumer orientated devices, and Surface responsible for the Flagship devices. After all, Surface has been a huge hit and introduced the world to 'proper' mobile working, and a whole new genre!

This is the best collection of common sense I have read about MS/Windows phone. Well said sir. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss