What WP needs to succeed

humzahyaz

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft's (frustrating) Windows Phone strategy

I have been using my Lumia 950 for over 6 months now. I was easily the first person in Pakistan to get my hands on it.

I was recently prompted by Microsoft to rate my device and that opened up a box of emotions. Obviously I love my Lumia 950 and I am not sure what phone I would be using if this was not available. I was using a Nokia Lumia 620 until October 2014 before a new employer imposed a Samsung Galaxy, Android phone on me. What a miserable year! I remember I couldn't sleep before the release of Lumia 950. I am generally quite stoic and had never waited for a device with this much excitement and anticipation. I absolutely love this phone. Even though it stops functioning on a few occasions and has a few glitches, for example, Hey Cortana feature never works, connectivity with band is horrendous. Only 10% of my voice commands through band are recognized. Nonetheless, the OS has so much potential, much greater than iOS and android. The windows phone platform always comes out with such nifty features, some of which are inevitably copied by competitors (like live images, quiet hours, cursor on the keyboard, live tiles, Rich Capture, Windows Hello).

However, I can't help but feel that the dismal numbers for windows phones is only down to Microsoft. This realisation has developed over a period of time and is not an epiphany. Some notable points to back my contention:

1. No proper phone release strategy - a flagship, followed by a year of tons of low end, budget phones, cancellation of Nokia McLaren leading to a long wait for flagships to a sudden cessation of Lumia range;

2. Least focus on the windows phone ecosystem as compared to the platform of competitors - not only there are more Microsoft apps on iOS and android but they work so much better than on windows 10 mobile. Their functionality and speed of getting things done are leaps and bounds ahead of windows mobile platform. Does it make any sense?! No! At times I feel microsoft deliberately wants to fail windows phone. Google's focus is primarily android as any reasonable entity would keep their own software as preference as opposed to their competitors. I understand that they are a software company that is device agnostic but then don't release your own ecosystem if you are not going to give it the preference that you as its developer needs to give;

3. Release of beta apps on iOS instead of windows - case in point, Gigjam. I have no qualms that Microsoft releases apps on competitors platform but at least windows phones should have those apps on their platform with maximum functionality. How can it encourage developers to develop apps when it itself doesn't develop apps or have a greater degree of functionality for their own platform. Other cases in point - Skype, Outlook;

4. Unnecessary generosity - Microsoft has approx 35-45 apps for Google's platform whereas Google has zero for windows phone. Whilst I understand that Microsoft is a software company first, it leaves no incentive for users on other platforms to move to windows phone platform. Case in point - Cortana. Its by far the best personal assistant, something that would be alluring for people to shift their OS, particularly with the added benefit of syncing with your PC. What does microsoft do, it makes Cortana available on all platforms leaving no incentive for people to pick windows 10 mobile.

Everything that Microsoft does vis-?-vis its mobile platform is against economics 101 and incredibly frustrating to it's loyal, avid user base. Now they are scaling back from countries where Lumia phones were selling relatively well (Brazil, India, Pakistan), and is stopping production of Lumia altogether which until recently was somewhat popular, considering Microsoft's multiple policy changes, with an almost 4% worldwide share. Its no surprise that there is a huge windows phone cult and that's down to the platform being so much better and having so much more potential. Microsoft has to change it's policy but I feel that it is taking steps in the wrong direction. Most people don't make informed decisions when buying a phone. They primarily rely on perceptions in the market. Nor are many aware of what their devices are capable of. Most only use a handful of apps which are available on Windows 10 mobile, so the app gap is not a relevant argument. Most don't even care which OS they are on so long as they can Facebook and WhatsApp.

What it needs is aggressive marketing of its devices. I have travelled considerably in the past year and am an aggressive advocate/ambassador of windows phones. What's depressing is that most people across the globe are unaware of windows phones. Most people are blown away by the features of the phone and yet there is hardly any marketing. I didn't even come across a single billboard across Pakistan, France, Italy, Dubai and oman (places i have visited since the release of phone). Compare this with Huawei or Oppo phones which are your run-of-the-mill android phones and you have your answer. Instead, despite making a fantastic phone in the shape of Lumia 650, the phone is hardly even available in Pakistan.

I really hope that Microsoft DOESN'T stop producing Lumia phones, and doesn't solely focus on enterprises leaving a significant fan base high and dry. I liked the policy of Nadella of November where he mentioned that Microsoft would be releasing three categories of phones; flagship, enterprise and budget. I think they should stick to that policy and market the hell out of their fantastic phones.

Humzah Yazdani, using Lumia 950

Last edited:

dustkicka

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site
Re: Windows Phone strategy of Microsoft

Well said bro. As a developer I can tell you developing for the windows mobile platform is such a pleasant experience I'm not sure what's Microsoft deal man. I am the only guy in the office with a lumia. All the android and ios users look at me funny but how can I leave such a great OS. is Microsoft not proud of its phones?

humzahyaz

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site

That question keeps me up all night. I don't understand. If you are platform agnostic, stop developing your own OS if you will not aggressively push for it. Forget aggressively pushing for it, they themselves undermine the platform.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

You do raise some good points here, but you've turned them into negatives.

Firstly, the strategy of releasing many cheap/mid-range phones was Nokia's, not Microsoft's. When Microsoft took over, there was a few more handsets already in the pipeline and it didn't make sense not to continue with those. In terms of flagship devices, it's always been a strategy to make these of a "above and beyond" device that will last for years (my Lumia 1520 lasted for two years and still runs Windows 10 Mobile very well). The 950 and 950XL are also made to last a couple of years or more.

The "flood the market" strategy of Nokia's didn't work - it didn't do anything to significantly affect the market share. Microsoft has quite rightly reigned that in.

The main reason why there's not a great market share is historical. Microsoft took time in developing Windows Phone 7 while Apple and Android were already establishing themselves. Microsoft clearly missed the boat on that one; back then, in the last days of feature phones, it couldn't foresee how popular and endemic smartphones would become. Microsoft was also in a bad mind-set back then, being mainly a business-to-business enterprise.

Things are better now, but there's no way that market share will increase, the two boats are ahead, and no amount of swimming will catch up with them.

Since the start, Windows Phone has been the enthusiast's choice - the phone for people who don't want to follow the crowd, and for people who just want to do stuff (stuff that isn't snapchat).

Microsoft tried marketing, it didn't really get anywhere. Marketing is expensive and the cost of it doesn't really pay for itself in terms of sales or revenue.

It's been said many times that Microsoft is a Software and Services company. It doesn't mind what platform it's customers are using, it'll support all of them. This is why you have Office/Outlook//OneDrive/Groove/etc.. on iOS and Android. Some of the apps work better on some platforms than others, I wouldn't say that Windows 10 Mobile has the worst experience.

You've mentioned that Apple and Google serve their own customers and their own devices best. Yes, that's true, but exclusivity is a bad thing because by definition it excludes potential customers. Apple and Google want to tie their customers into their own ecosystems, Microsoft wants to free people to make their own choices (and use their services regardless of those choices).

Microsoft have said before that it's no longer chasing market share. It'll produce a few Windows 10 Mobile devices, and let other manufacturers do the same. Windows 10 is the key driver for them, as is encouraging users to use their services.

People are saying that Windows Phone is dead because it's no longer in the race.

Why race?

humzahyaz

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site

1. How would they encourage developers to develop apps for Windows 10 Mobile (which is their key focus) when they themselves would undermine the platform that they own. It took me 4 months on my Lumia 950 to sync my hotmail account with Outlook Mail (Egregious!!!). Outlook works like a charm on iOS. They released beta versions for Gigjam recently on iOS, Windows, and Mac but not for Windows 10 Mobile. I don't even mind if there are no Snapchats, YouTubes on Windows 10 Mobile but the fact that Microsoft would not even use Project Islandwood to use the same code they used in iOS to release an app on their own platform, they really need to stop developing Windows 10 Mobile and reduce their mobile business to being an app developing company.

2. Developing and investing heavily in a platform and disincentivizing people to use it is oxymoronic. My brother was sold by Cortana and its superior utility. They made it available on iOS and now he has no reason to shift. If people don't shift, developers don't have an incentive to develop apps, and resultantly, OEM partners do not have the incentive to take the risk of investing in a making a Windows 10 Mobile device.

3. I agree, flooding is bad but going on the other extreme and completely scaling out and not making quality phones available in the market befuddles me. I have convinced three people to invest in Lumia 650 but its no longer available. Plus the repeated change in strategy and the confused signals they send to retailers creates a disincentive to keep Microsoft's phones in stock and to OEMs to manufacture W10M devices.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Microsoft's (frustrating) Windows Phone strategy

Microsoft didn't undermine/retrench on Windows Phone 8.1 throughout it's life, and developers didn't flock to the platform.

Developers equate effort to market share, what they don't do is invest some effort into attracting new customers by supporting Windows Phone (and thereby helping sales and creating another revenue stream). It's far easier for developers to do nothing and assume that people who want to use their apps will buy a phone that their app supports.

Microsoft hasn't made app development for Windows 10 difficult. App developers simply don't bother.

Try asking an app developer why they don't create a Windows 10 app. Most of the time, they'll say it's because there's not enough users, this is regardless of how many users are currently using Windows 10.

humzahyaz

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site

That's exactly what I am saying. You need to get consumers AND enterprises, both, to jump on the windows platform. Give developers that incentive to create apps.

You can't have your own platform and aggressively, support your competitors' OS platforms as well. Eventually your own platform will die its own death. Just emailing your OEMs that your investment is safe is not satisfactory. Actions speak louder than words. When Microsoft's own services work better on competitors, some reflection is required.

The intent of my post was to highlight that Microsoft needs to change its WP strategy but 1. the current one is far from ideal, 2. the one that Nadella took in November was better suited, and 3. stick to a strategy!!

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Microsoft offers a huge amount of support and information to developers. Short of locking developers in a room and beating them with a stick, there's not much that can be done.

Yes, it's possible to buy development houses, like they did with Minecraft. Unfortunately, people see the figures involved in those deals and it just adds incentive not to do anything until Microsoft turns up with a briefcase full of money.

On the other hand, the internet is evolving, and people are getting more and more connected. Creating well-crafted mobile websites is an alternative that can connect customers to services, regardless of what platform they're using. An internet connection and a modern internet browser is all that's needed in the majority of cases.

Amazon for example no longer offers a Windows Phone app. This is a good thing because the mobile web page is far better than the app ever was. Offline usage is another matter, but the Amazon app had no offline functionality at all (being just a nasty web wrapper).

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

Microsoft offers a huge amount of support and information to developers. Short of locking developers in a room and beating them with a stick, there's not much that can be done.

This might be a nice solution. I have plenty of sticks :winktongue:

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

That's exactly what I am saying. You need to get consumers AND enterprises, both, to jump on the windows platform. Give developers that incentive to create apps.

You can't have your own platform and aggressively, support your competitors' OS platforms as well. Eventually your own platform will die its own death. Just emailing your OEMs that your investment is safe is not satisfactory. Actions speak louder than words. When Microsoft's own services work better on competitors, some reflection is required.

The intent of my post was to highlight that Microsoft needs to change its WP strategy but 1. the current one is far from ideal, 2. the one that Nadella took in November was better suited, and 3. stick to a strategy!!

What you need to realise is that Microsoft is a business. It's a software driven company. Microsoft is MUCH MUCH MUCH more than a mobile OS.

If Windows 10 Mobile fails, do you think Microsoft fails? Ha. Microsoft is THE biggest tech company. They have shifted their focus to Windows 10 OS on the whole via Laptops/Tablets/XBOX etc .. Once Windows 10 is successful, Windows 10 mobile should be as well (At least this is their plan). Why? Because it's one OS.

What would you rather? Microsoft shut down all other departs and focus solely on Mobile?

And like I said above, even if they fail, you can still access their services on IOS and Android. It's a win-win for Microsoft.

You need to make a decision to either suck it up and stick it through because it will take some time... Or switch to another OS because Mobile is not the main focus of Microsoft.

humzahyaz

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site

Its the worst kept secret that Mobile is not their focus for now. However, what I am saying is that if you develop and invest in ur own platform, there are some natural steps that need to be taken to make it a success. It would hardly make sense in developing something and then not backing it or supporting it. My post endeavours to only highlight that Microsoft needs a policy change but not the change in policy that they are currently adopting. Even companies worth billions are responsible for every penny they spend to their shareholders. It wouldn't make sense to develop your own platform but rather than backing and further developing your own OS, you back your competitors, losing millions in process.

What bugs me the most is that their OS is pretty solid. They offer what no one in the market can. Most people don't use every app under the sun. A huge majority use smartphones for Facebook and Whatsapp, so the app gap argument is not relevant. People primarily rely on perceptions in the market. They ask retailers which phone to purchase and which phone is doing well. Microsoft does not itself do any favours with constant changes in its policy. With a few minor tweaks to their strategy, aggressive marketing, improving their image in the mobile business and with a little bit of focus on their own platform, the OS has the potential to take off.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

I think MS are thinking in these terms:

Keep Cortana on less than a 100 million windows mobile devices or potentially access over 800 million mobile users spread over the three mobile platforms. Which gives more revenue? Cortana is related to Bing, right? Which generates revenue? And search data statistics?

Apps on competing platforms are sometimes better than the one in windows 10 mobile? Hmm, could it be that MS don't want to publish an app that has glitches and less functionality in a platform that has so many users - because if they did release one that was bad, it would mean losing out on 100s of millions of potential users. So they want to get it right the first time for first impressions. For windows 10 mobile? User base is very small so if we find it limited, not many are complaining, right?

Releasing apps for other platforms means a user base of 10-50 times bigger than that of windows 10 mobile so they generate just as many times more data and be able to develop faster that app.

I think this strategy is really clever. Use a competing platform to gather a lot of data and feedback and then use that that data/feedback to improve their apps which then transfers to us as windows 10 mobile users (eventually)

I mean, look at the pace of development of apps and the OS, do you think that it is solely driven by insider feedback? Isn't there an element of user feedback from all platforms? Thus a better data pool to make decisions on?

moin_23

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft should wake up !!!!!!!!

In the beginning there was Symbian for me , then came Android . After few devices I got hold of a Windows Phone (being a microsoft fan).It started with Lumia 520,720,635,1320,830,1520 and at present 950XL.
What I feel is MS is very casual towards their Mobile platform. As Wp8 was unique and sleek , but it lacked few basic features compared to Android or iOS. They brought those necessary basic updates in such a lengthy timeline that it was frustrating for the users(who are not a fan) . Wp8.1 came but still it lagged in competition. Users were buying Wp because of the Nokia branding, expecting something everytime. Lumia 1020,930 and 1520 were the best of the Lumia line and can be shown off because of their novelty camera and design.
Then their came a huge gap in terms of software update and a new flagship.
This took away the market which MS already had and its down to about 1-2% maybe.Still this year they said W10 mobile is not their focus this year.:amaze:
I used Lumia 730(running wp8.1) few days back, and trust me i am missing that smooth OS which w10 is nowhere close.So many cumulative updates but still random reboot, overheating(liquid cooling?),crashing, screen stuttering and battery draining issue still persists on my 950XL.
MS never promoted the unique lumia/wp features or made progress with under development project. We could have been using exploding tiles on 3d touch unlike the absurd so called 3d touch on iphone (taking away the limelight). Same is happening with Living images, glance screen , color profile, dark theme mode , battery and data saving, etc which were already present since wp8.1 (i think) are now being copied by Android and iOS and promoted as if its their invention. Windows Phone was always unique in terms of feature and UI but they failed it because they never gave it the due attention, even MS garage would have made better and more apps unlike what the Phone team did, instead of MS focusing on making apps for iOS and Android(like really?).
I don't think there will be a progress in the Store , as the market share has declined so much.I am afraid.
I want to play some heavy games on my costly flaghship 950XL and use some feature rich apps, which I dont think is going to get possible anytime soon.:angry: FIFA 15 still crashes on .420 update.
TBH, 950XL is not a true successor to the beast Lumia 1520 , nowhere close.
forget about the design, the camera is not a big upgrade (but i love it though), battery is a big no, Windows Hello is still in beta (i love this feature but its impractical),etc.
They are taking away the powerful and feature rich camera app which Lumia users used to boast about , they havent added any new features in a long time since they started merging the Lumia Camera and the default camera.HDR and Slow Motion is just matching the steps with others. I am missing the Action mode,etc and basic features like panaroma which should have been implemented in the default app.I was very proud of lumia camera and its advanced features in the past , but in a long while without a mojor update , others like samsung , lg and apple have improved their camera app a lot and made it feature rich and few are better than the best Lumia.
They are taking away the cool stuffs like City Lens (I loved it when i used it on my 720) and few other apps and features.
I dont wanna complain anymore, i just want MS to save me from switching to the boring Android or overhyped iPhone.

Windows 10 Mobile still lacks many features like wifi-direct(via native OS ), multi window,etc.
Apps are unforgivable, for ex Snapchat ; many of the girls i know like the look and feel of lumia but they don't switch because they love Snapchat more.If you guys cant get an app out of them why dont you just buy Snapchat?:winktongue:
Android and iOS bridge might be shelved in future and so will be the mobile division.
It pains to see that Lumia 650 has a better design than 950s and HP Elite is more powerful, i feel like i wasted my money for Windows Hello which is a beta software.

MS , please bring a good surface phone in future asap. I am waiting for the true upgrade and should be worth it.
Bring the pen support (Samsung is ruling it with note series); a better innovative technology in display, implement McLaren(3d touch) tech if possible; at least 256gb storage so their wont be a requirement of sd card slot , water resistent, classy body like Surface series, slim, better if colorful light shades on the sides which changes , MS logo which should glow, carbon ink display on the back if possible, keyboard flip cover,better camera( maybe dual) and better focus tech(infra red), liquid cooling which should work (unlike 950xl), a juicy battery and optimise the OS till then , u guys can even go for mods ;use your R&D this time nicely please implement those tech now , its time.
There is a lot to be done with the software , make it as sleek and smooth as wp8(resuming screen), true multi tasking ,enhanced continuum, find a way so tha we can use apps(not all) for PCs using the phone, note down the features which are missing and come at par with others, make some new features to get the hype (make the living images motion sensitive like the 3d cards we used in childhood), better camera apps with features of DSLR,exploding tiles is a must this time, gesture controls, any game controller support,unlimited expansion of storage ,etc
U guys have done it with Surface tab,u can do it with Phones.Please.These are the post PC devices, u cant ignore it.This is future, not PCs.

MS , you are a software giant , act like one - A Fan

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

Economics 101? Release for windows mobile, make less money? Yah that's what Economics 101 teaches you. Make less money for your company and blow billions of dollars trying to fight in an area YOU CAN'T COMPETE. Even Google was smart enough to drop Google+ after it realized it can't compete with Facebook.

What they are doing now makes sense. And it's a long-term strategy not a short term one. That's because they can't compete in the short term. They can release all the phones they want on an OS that is not finished and put all their apps on it, no developers will come because no one will buy these phones except fans.

What they are doing now is transforming their PC market to be more like a mobile market. The UI, the app store, the security enhancements. And it's being made completely modular and device agnostic. They are focusing on creating tools so that you only have to build the apps once for all devices. They are gaining market share through the use of their PC dominance which is going to trickle down through all devices. It will no longer have to be seen as "phone shares" but simply "windows 10 shares". Why? because 1 app should work on all windows devices. They are focusing more effort on the desktop for that exact reason. It will gain them market share.

Windows 10 is not finished! Not on desktop nor on mobile. Do not give me that "It will never be finished" argument. Because it will be finished with Redstone 2. They still haven't even moved over all control panel items, made a new file explorer to integrate properly and quite a lot of other stuff. It's a 2 year project. This is what Satya said. Windows 10 will take 2 years to finish. Then afterwards it will act as a service. So it will be finished at some point.

Do you really want to battle against people in an environment where your software is not even finished? No, you work on that. The desktop is easier to work with because the fact that it's not finished doesn't bother people because they are already familiar with the Desktop experience. It's also an advantage in a way because they don't have to learn something completely new right away. The new features will trickle in and it will be easier to learn once you already have a grasp on how things work. They will become more familiar with the settings app, the Start menu and action center while still being able to navigate as they always have. Once control panel is phased out they will know it's the settings app they need to go to. Everything will be much easier to navigate as the complexity is slowly being moved over to a simpler UI. In the mobile world you want consistency, you want apps! And the Desktop is what's bringing those apps. So they are doing everything in their power to try to disrupt the app gap but you don't see that. You only see it from your own perspective. Imagine how many more apps will be available by the time Redstone 2 rolls around and they launch their new devices?

Will they be successful? Who knows they have competition like Google and chromebook. But for the time being things look to be going in a positive direction. I think once they stop giving the windows 10 update out for free there will also be more hardware purchases. At this point anniversary update will be the OS being shipped and it will be in a better state. And Redstone 2 is supposed to be their pride and joy and the big one that they release more devices with and features that will be new and may create some positive media coverage.

MS likely has shown companies their plans for Redstone 2 and windows 10 in general. Many CEOs are likely under non-disclosure to keep it under wraps. But these big companies don't need MS to pay them to make apps, they are doing it because they know something. Facebook is not exactly a poor company.

There will also be a big focus on gaming which sells way beyond what apps do. Even their next cellular device may be designed to be able to let you play games. Maybe even not worry about poor touch controls through some hardware innovation and/or even APIs that do the work for devs.

The xbox will become an app. And OEMs will be able to compete in the console industry. PC's that meet minimum requirements will be able to turn into an xbox.

Anyways, don't worry about the market share. Worry about what experience your phone gives you now. If you believe a competitor gives you a better experience then seriously you don't need to stress over it just switch. You can always come back when MS has their stuff together. Keep in mind that Samsung, Apple and MS all plan big releases spring of 2017. So you will have a lot of choice. You may dislike android/ios, but you have to weigh the pros and cons. You worked hard for your money, use it wisely!

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

Since the start, Windows Phone has been the enthusiast's choice - the phone for people who don't want to follow the crowd, and for people who just want to do stuff (stuff that isn't snapchat).

This age old argument is always put forth as a way to say Windows Phone is for real work. People who do not like Windows Phone are people who want to use dumb apps like snap chat. While I almost never use snap chat, mostly because I would prefer to be able to look back at my conversation history; it is one of many apps that allow a task that cannot be done on Windows Phone.

How about people that want to play on chess on any major online server (lichess, chess.com, chess24, etc)? The only really good app I have found is Chess4All, but most of the time now I just use a browser or lichess app on Android.

Or people that want to practice guitar? Apps exist, but are not as good. Maybe the one of the exceptions are for writing sheet music on Surface Pro (StaffPad), but in general I use either a browser or Android for this.

If I forgot to turn on my home security when I left the house, Windows Phone is incapable of helping me do anything but get directions back home so I can manually turn it on. Same with managing my NAS, scheduling my DVR, or watching HBO on the go.

I know that you are a die hard fan and Microsoft could do no wrong with Windows Phone, but its strategy is frustrating. Windows Phone is improved from where it was at Windows 6.5, but it is behind the competition in ability to do things. Much like Windows on PC used to offer more ability to get things done than Linux or Apple.

Microsoft cannot ignore mobile users on Apple and Android. If it does, then all the mobile users might switch to a free alternative on their phones, then switch to a free alternative on their computers. I think we are sort of saying the same thing, but I think Microsoft is on the other platforms because they have no choice, not because they want to be there.

Finally, Microsoft is not chasing market share because a public company does not like to dwell on bad news. People say Windows Phone is dead because there is anemic development for the system. If Microsoft did not make enough money to keep it afloat, it would have died with Nokia. Microsoft does not race because its Mobile competitor has two broken legs and is blind.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

Economics 101? Release for windows mobile, make less money? Yah that's what Economics 101 teaches you. Make less money for your company and blow billions of dollars trying to fight in an area YOU CAN'T COMPETE. Even Google was smart enough to drop Google+ after it realized it can't compete with Facebook.

What they are doing now makes sense. And it's a long-term strategy not a short term one. That's because they can't compete in the short term. They can release all the phones they want on an OS that is not finished and put all their apps on it, no developers will come because no one will buy these phones except fans.

What they are doing now is transforming their PC market to be more like a mobile market. The UI, the app store, the security enhancements. And it's being made completely modular and device agnostic. They are focusing on creating tools so that you only have to build the apps once for all devices. They are gaining market share through the use of their PC dominance which is going to trickle down through all devices. It will no longer have to be seen as "phone shares" but simply "windows 10 shares". Why? because 1 app should work on all windows devices. They are focusing more effort on the desktop for that exact reason. It will gain them market share.

Windows 10 is not finished! Not on desktop nor on mobile. Do not give me that "It will never be finished" argument. Because it will be finished with Redstone 2. They still haven't even moved over all control panel items, made a new file explorer to integrate properly and quite a lot of other stuff. It's a 2 year project. This is what Satya said. Windows 10 will take 2 years to finish. Then afterwards it will act as a service. So it will be finished at some point.

Do you really want to battle against people in an environment where your software is not even finished? No, you work on that. The desktop is easier to work with because the fact that it's not finished doesn't bother people because they are already familiar with the Desktop experience. It's also an advantage in a way because they don't have to learn something completely new right away. The new features will trickle in and it will be easier to learn once you already have a grasp on how things work. They will become more familiar with the settings app, the Start menu and action center while still being able to navigate as they always have. Once control panel is phased out they will know it's the settings app they need to go to. Everything will be much easier to navigate as the complexity is slowly being moved over to a simpler UI. In the mobile world you want consistency, you want apps! And the Desktop is what's bringing those apps. So they are doing everything in their power to try to disrupt the app gap but you don't see that. You only see it from your own perspective. Imagine how many more apps will be available by the time Redstone 2 rolls around and they launch their new devices?

Will they be successful? Who knows they have competition like Google and chromebook. But for the time being things look to be going in a positive direction. I think once they stop giving the windows 10 update out for free there will also be more hardware purchases. At this point anniversary update will be the OS being shipped and it will be in a better state. And Redstone 2 is supposed to be their pride and joy and the big one that they release more devices with and features that will be new and may create some positive media coverage.

MS likely has shown companies their plans for Redstone 2 and windows 10 in general. Many CEOs are likely under non-disclosure to keep it under wraps. But these big companies don't need MS to pay them to make apps, they are doing it because they know something. Facebook is not exactly a poor company.

There will also be a big focus on gaming which sells way beyond what apps do. Even their next cellular device may be designed to be able to let you play games. Maybe even not worry about poor touch controls through some hardware innovation and/or even APIs that do the work for devs.

The xbox will become an app. And OEMs will be able to compete in the console industry. PC's that meet minimum requirements will be able to turn into an xbox.

Anyways, don't worry about the market share. Worry about what experience your phone gives you now. If you believe a competitor gives you a better experience then seriously you don't need to stress over it just switch. You can always come back when MS has their stuff together. Keep in mind that Samsung, Apple and MS all plan big releases spring of 2017. So you will have a lot of choice. You may dislike android/ios, but you have to weigh the pros and cons. You worked hard for your money, use it wisely!

I ignored your pure speculation (CEOs having nondisclosure agreements, playing xbox games on your phone, OEMs making windows phone), but I did highlight in bold the parts of your post that highlight in part how Microsoft's strategy is frustrating.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Coming up to 2 years since this thread was started and the talk is still about how Microsoft can succeed in mobile. That pretty much says it all, compounded when you consider that they are in an even worse position now than when this thread was started.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Coming up to 2 years since this thread was started and the talk is still about how Microsoft can succeed in mobile. That pretty much says it all, compounded when you consider that they are in an even worse position now than when this thread was started.

Yup, and in June 2018 we'll be saying the same thing. It's just around the corner folks...

WellingtonW

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
I dunno why you are bringing this thread back to life.

Doesn't matter if you don't want to use apps. A lot of services around you do need apps. Thats modern life.
You could use the browser as a workaround but edge isn't good enough in its current state.
A lot of websites have been tested on IOS and Android but not Edge. So they just don't work with it.
The OS is buggy even on the slow (stable lol ) build. The hardware is buggy. Bad speakers, bad vibration.
The OS design is a mess. Every time they change it, they change stuff that doesn't need changing. Every time they fix 3 things, they break 2.

Watching them fix this is like watching paint dry.

I really like Windows Phone/Mobile ( I don't even know what to call it anymore). But MS have killed it through bad management. Worse than that they are destroying any good memory the user base has. Its like someone in MS said lets make sure no one will come back to the platform.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077