I recently purchased a Lumia 521 and I am just now learning about all the features. I just checked to see if the phone has speech-to-text capability so I can create text messages without having to type out all the words. This is what I read when I attempted to start the Speech Recognition Service:

"If you accept, the words you speak and supporting data, including recent contact names, will be sent to Microsoft to provide and improve the speech recognition service. By allowing access, you can use additional speech features on your phone."

That's insane. It's none of Microsoft's business who I communicate with or what I say.

People go mad over the government collecting such information, but when a private company does it, not a peep.
    07-29-2014 09:45 PM
    The difference being that MS are being quite clear what will happen to data and where it will go and what it will be used for. And seeking your consent to do so.
    The recently revealed activities of various governments was covert. That's the difference.
    If you object to the policy, don't accept it.
    07-29-2014 09:54 PM
    The difference being that MS are being quite clear what will happen to data and where it will go and what it will be used for. And seeking your consent to do so.
    The recently revealed activities of various governments was covert. That's the difference.
    If you object to the policy, don't accept it.

What a concept, read the supplied instructions and use the feature if you want to or not. Amazing Microsoft didn't think of doing that.....

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk
    07-29-2014 10:26 PM
    User agreements like this are common when we give consent after downloading or buying software.
    As long as a provider offers disclosures for use and we agree then all is signed off.

Thread closed.
    07-29-2014 11:30 PM