Why not an official Windows Phone launcher for Android?

uw

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Why doesn't Microsoft release an offiicial windows phone 8.1 launcher for android? Is it more important to sell the hardware or the software/services? I would think by creating/releasing an official windows phone launcher, you can add the MS services and get the android users to use MS services. Am I just being naive thinking this way?

Only reason I bring this up is because it does't look like ATT is getting any new high end hardware this year and I was hoping to get something new this year. So instead of waiting, I might go with G3 or S5 or Note 4 and then install a windows phone launcher. It would be almost like having a high end windows phone..:)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My opinion:

I'm just going to shoot that down.
Sure, a launcher, great, it would look nice, sure, but your services idea won't matter since theyre already available on Android.

Writing, designing, and testing such a launcher would take resources away from the important things and probably be the laughing stock of things since yet again, MS doesn't know what they're doing.

I've been there, I had an Android on my hands and wanted a Windows Phone. A launcher doesn't go very far beyond the surface for a decent experience.. it wont be "just like" a Windows Phone device as some people like to claim. ("LOl just buy Android n instll Launchr 8,,,, what ***** buy Wp")

Touch anything, settings, the browser, email, and BOOM you're knocked out of your Windows Phone illusion. Doesn't feel too moder.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Like xandros9 said WP8 launcher on Android is no where close to the real thing. It's just a homescreen and doesn't have Live Tiles. Once you're out of the homescreen, it's in another world.

uw

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Why would a good launcher be just superficial? Why can't they add the features/functions that is standard in a windows phone to make it almost like the real thing? Doesn't launchers like Smart Launcher or Nokia's Z Launcher fundamentally change the UI, so why not a windows launcher?

Not trolling, but just curious to see if all options were considered. If 930 was available for ATT, I wouldn't be complaining and I would get that, but since nothing decent seem to be coming to ATT, I'm considering all options.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Forgetting any technical limitations and commercial arrangements, if they built such a launcher, who would support it? If I've got Samsung hardware with Google's OS running Microsoft's launcher and when I use an official Facebook app it runs dog slow, who do I call? The average consumer may well be confused and blame Microsoft for something that's not their issue. The last thing MS needs at the moment is to be associated with any more pisspoor experiences.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
If MS developed a superb WP8.1 launcher for Android, why would Android users want to get the real thing?? It's counter-productive!!!

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It has WP apps with Live Tiles? I don't think so.

Actually the 3rd party WP launchers available now in the Play Store have Live Tiles. Well, they're not technically Live Tiles since that's WP, but they sure replicate them pretty accurately. It's not like that concept is anything new to Android. It's had widgets for a long time, which are basically actionable Live Tiles.

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
then it is gonna make people stop using windows phone as it has launcher for android. or even bad, poke fun on microsoft or say something bad about it.

"WTF, my phone never lag like that, WINDOWS PHONE SUCK #DontUseWP"
"LOL, Microsoft are depending on android, because their WP SUCKS"
"OH NO, IT LAG! oh wait, it's the same on windows phone too."

BUDDYFUNLOVE

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
If MS developed a superb WP8.1 launcher for Android, why would Android users want to get the real thing?? It's counter-productive!!!

I don't agree. With any launcher you still have to use the built in UI for the phone. The UI is what made me switch...no way to replicate the animations and cohesive functions you get from an actual windows phone.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Actually the 3rd party WP launchers available now in the Play Store have Live Tiles. Well, they're not technically Live Tiles since that's WP, but they sure replicate them pretty accurately. It's not like that concept is anything new to Android. It's had widgets for a long time, which are basically actionable Live Tiles.

I don't think so. IMHO live tile replication for only a select few apps which the launcher knows about doesn't qualify.

The whole point is that any app can make use of live tiles and do so in a consistent way. That only works if the concept of live tiles is supported by the OS. A launcher can't provide that.

Then there is also the issue of UI consistency across apps, which Android is only just starting to deal with. A launcher can't provide that either.

anon(8921886)

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Apple isn't going to create a ios launcher and Microsoft neither. Out doesn't make sense. If people want a windows phone look and feel, buy a windows phone!!!

Torcher Death

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
I don't see the point of this thread at all.... Why would Microsoft want to create an official launcher & lose what little market share they have been able to garner for WP ??
No need to shower more love on the haters.... If you want to get the feel of a Windows Phone, then get a damn Windows Phone !!

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't think so. IMHO live tile replication for only a select few apps which the launcher knows about doesn't qualify.

The whole point is that any app can make use of live tiles and do so in a consistent way. That only works if the concept of live tiles is supported by the OS. A launcher can't provide that.

Then there is also the issue of UI consistency across apps, which Android is only just starting to deal with. A launcher can't provide that either.

Doesn't count as live tile support on Android then if it's just a few apps that the launcher uses.

rtotheich

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
In my mind, it would be really great to have an UNOFFICIAL android launcher. Back in the day I built a hackintosh from a netbook just so I could run some old games that I played as a teenager. PC geeks are great at getting what they want that way. A lot of people love WP, don't care that much about the app gap but could seriously benefit from one or two apps that are only available on other platforms. Many of the people reading this right now probably want their bank to develop a WP application, but only a few have for instance. An unofficial emulator would let you stick with WP, continue using microsoft services, but grab the occasional android app or game just because you feel like it and I hardly think people would spend all day using it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3